PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Issues

dandog
January 9th, 2013, 21:55
OK, I am having scenery issues. I have tried to FINALLY clean up my addon sceneries. Problem is, what shows up on my in-game scenery GUI is not the same as my scenery menu (free-flight) or scenery.cfg in my documents/administrator/application data/microsoft/fsx/scenery.cfg (or something like that) or my fsx/scenery.cfg.

How can I reconcile the differences so that they all show the same scenery entries?

falcon409
January 9th, 2013, 22:20
Click this link and download the FSX Scenery config Toolbox. I think this may help fix some of your problems.
http://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.php

Lawman
January 10th, 2013, 08:50
Strangely enough FSX makes several "scenery.cfg"-files in different locations which are not identical. You could also look in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and see if the "scenery.cfg"-file in there has all the entries you see in the scenery library.

Navy Chief
January 10th, 2013, 10:06
When I start FSX, I get error msgs, saying that certain scenery files are not found. Am sure it is because I have removed certain sceneries at some point. Is it just a matter of me editing the scenery config file to remove those entries? Will the utility mentioned in a previous post fix the problem?

Thanks, NC

dandog
January 10th, 2013, 10:31
I have been using Scenery Config Editor ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor ) and still have issues. I even found yet another scenery.cfg in my computer. Which one does FSX REALLY use!?

Sieggie
January 10th, 2013, 12:01
easy way to find out is go into FSX, uncheck something in the scenery config menu, get out of FSX and go see which file has the current date. That is the one FSX is using.

Dave

JoeW
January 11th, 2013, 06:06
The path to the active scenery.cfg is:
C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX

emfrat
January 11th, 2013, 12:42
When removing scenery, the trick is to back out the way you came in.
Start FS, go to Settings>Scenery Library and uncheck the scenery to deactivate it, then click the delete button.
That will remove the scenery call from the scenery.cfg. So long as the call for the scenery is in the scenery.cfg, FS will go looking for it.
That's where those error messages come from.
Close FS.

If the scenery came with its own installer, there should be an uninstaller. Go to Start>Programs and it will be in the folder for that scenery. Run the uninstaller, and you're done.
If the developer did not provide an uninstaller, go to Start>Control Panel then to wherever your version of Windows lets you remove software.
In Win7, it is in Programs and Features. In older versions it was Add/Remove Programs or Add/Remove Software. Uninstall the scenery from there.
If there was no installer, open whatever you use to see the files on your computer (I use Windows Explorer). Find the folder for the scenery you want to remove, and delete it.
TIP: When you manually install a scenery, make sure the readme/installation instructions finish up in the main folder for that scenery. There will often be an AFCAD which is placed in Scenery\World\Scenery, and you need to know about that to avoid clashes with something you install later.

Hope this helps
MikeW