PDA

View Full Version : FM upgrade for Akemi's Bf109e?

ndicki
December 30th, 2012, 09:48
It looks beautiful in the screenshots I've seen, and if the Team Daedalus version of his FW190a is anything to go by, it'll be worth having - but the links don't work, his site is down, and I haven't found it in the library (though I may have missed it!)

If anyone could point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Blood_Hawk23
December 30th, 2012, 10:40
I'm only finding skins so far.

http://www.simviation.com/1/browse-Aircraft-83-89 (http://www.simviation.com/1/browse-Aircraft-83-89)

http://www.simviation.com/1/browse-CFS2+-3-169

I'll keep looking.

Rami
December 30th, 2012, 10:52
Ndickl,

I have no idea what your problem is...here is a link to his non-Japanese hangar, and both the website and the links are working fine, I just download it to test: http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/hago/hangar3.htm

Blood_Hawk23
December 30th, 2012, 10:58
ahh. the old link is dead (as always). TY Rami. all i was finding was the FS9(FS2004) version.

ndicki
December 30th, 2012, 23:02
Cheers, Rami! I was finding only the old link as well.

Update - pillaged the lot. He is a first-class modeller, and I'm glad to say I won't be missing the experience. If he sees this, many thanks, Akemi!

ndicki
January 2nd, 2013, 03:09
Actually, it wasn't Akemi's - it's the AH one. My mistake! Difficult coming to terms with all the different versions.

It is a lovely model, and there are some nice skins for it, but the flight dynamics seem a little... suicidal. It gets elevator uselessness in anything resembling a decent dive, and goes straight in! Now as the other Emils don't have this nasty habit, and as the RAF never took advantage of it during the War, I can only assume that it's not quite right. Which brings the next question - if I'm not the only one to have realised this, then I expect that there will be an upgrade somewhere, but I haven't found it.

Anybody got any ideas?

bearcat241
January 2nd, 2013, 13:19
Ndicki, if you're familiar with the process, you can swap air files (aircraft.cfg and *.air file) with another better performing 109 model of similar dimensions. If you need help, post the aircraft.cfg in an attachment here and i will sort it out for you. I'm asking you to post this because i want to make sure my model is the same as yours and if not i will need the exact contact points, VC lighting and VC viewpoints from yours to avoid other issues later.

Oglivie
January 2nd, 2013, 14:52
Hi BC and Ndicki,

Looks like the elevator control factor vs IAS is only about 5% of the full elevator control at 340 knots (I think it is for knots?) for the AH 109e (perhaps same for other AH FMs). Of course there maybe more than just section 517 (AirEd) that may want to adjust. I swapped the AH 109 for another air file, but don't know/recall which one I used.

Cheers, O :costum:

bearcat241
January 2nd, 2013, 15:18
Yeah i saw that. I compensated with boosted elevator effectiveness in the cfg. But check out the same entry in the 1GR_Bf-109E3, one of my old favorites, especially flying in the NordAfrica_JG27 skin. And it shows in high speed performance as well.

ndicki
January 3rd, 2013, 07:21
Well, the AH air file was done by the 1% team, so presumably GregoryP is behind both. Interestingly, some of the Friedrichs seem to be a bit unresponsive too.

I'll probably manage to swop the FMs over - it's much the same as CFS3 except for the thing with the eyepoint - but I was wondering if anybody had already got it sorted out.

Rami
January 4th, 2013, 05:20
Ndicki,

I am notorious for liking to tweak my airfiles, especially on engine specs, to try and achieve the right characteristics. One place to look, other than the airfile, is in the aircraft.cfg file.

As an example, from the AH Bf-109e:

[flight_tuning]
cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0
parasite_drag_scalar = 0.85
induced_drag_scalar = 0.85
elevator_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_effectiveness = 1.3
rudder_effectiveness = 1.3
pitch_stability = 1.0
roll_stability = 1.0
yaw_stability = 1.0
elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0
rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

[piston_engine]
power_scalar = 1.0

[propeller]
thrust_scalar = 1.0

"Standard" of course is 1.0, but I have tweaked to taste. This might be a section you can toy with to considerable effect.

ndicki
January 5th, 2013, 00:19
I tried that in CFS3 with the MS406, I think it was. Can't remember what the result was, but it was worth fiddling about with, you're right!

Blood_Hawk23
January 5th, 2013, 08:15
a lil note on the cfg, do your adjustments in small increments. 1.00 is the middle with no adjustment. which makes 0.90 less and 1.10 more. i've found that most only need a .2 +/- to have the desired effect. if you have to go .5 +/- then you may want to look at the airfile or other parts of the CFG.

it you want send me the airfile and i'll load it in to FSedit. then i can send you the complete CFG. it will give you other areas to adjust. that way your AIs handling isn't changed.