PDA

View Full Version : Just finished a new 2D panel for the Storch..

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

gaucho_59
December 31st, 2012, 12:25
If anyone is interested...and would like to collaborate with someone who
wants to create a nice config file and appropriate instruments ... just
drop me a PM or answer here...

gaucho_59
January 1st, 2013, 20:04
If anyone is interested...and would like to collaborate with someone who
wants to create a nice config file and appropriate instruments ... just
drop me a PM or answer here...

This is a panel for the Curtiss Helldiver I ...

SgtT
January 2nd, 2013, 01:24
Wow they both look great!

T.

gaucho_59
January 3rd, 2013, 20:43

T.

Thanks for the encouragement! You are very kind... Just completed another one...
All of my panel bmp files are available upon request... I just don't have the time
to do a decent config with so many of them... I am basically an artist not a tekkie...
I think with a little patient anyone can do it justice on his own...

:salute:
:wavey:

gaucho_59
January 7th, 2013, 13:53

T.

Here is a panel for a rare bird... Kazunori Ito did a pretty fair model of it...

SSI01
January 7th, 2013, 16:02
Excellent panels, Gaucho, and yes - I am definitely interested. The Helldiver panel in particular is very well-done!:salute:

SgtT
January 7th, 2013, 16:34
Are you going to make them available to the community, they would be a great addition.

T.

gaucho_59
January 7th, 2013, 17:49
Are you going to make them available to the community, they would be a great addition.

T.

Yes... However, as I stated before... I am not a config file wizz... I can make the bmp available anytime... but
it wil be a while for me to do the config... This is why I was looking for some more technically oriented person to
collaborate with me and produce some really nifty 2D panels... you know... like pop ups... different views, etc.
I thought that folks who are gurus in that respect would jump at the chance to produce some seriously valid
panels... There is an awful lot of great panels that, however, leave much to be desired in the bmp background... like some
of the Masters (Ito, etc.) So called "photorealistic" but actually lacking cohesion... like a collage of bits and piece that don't
always hang together right... if you know what I mean...
Apparently not everyone is concerned with panels... just the outside aircraft...
For me.. the panel "makes or breaks" the illusion of feeling like you are piloting the "real" thing...
One cannot be flying and admiring the outside at the same time... but in the cockpit... you can do both...
I wish VCs were also realized seriously... the masters do it... the "run of the mill VC" just look weird... exagerated perpective... etc.

SgtT
January 8th, 2013, 01:42
I wish I had the talent or I would definitely help. Iis there anyone out there that would be interested in collaborating with gaucho_59? It would be a shame to let these panels go by the waste side.

T.

gaucho_59
January 14th, 2013, 09:02
I wish I had the talent or I would definitely help. Iis there anyone out there that would be interested in collaborating with gaucho_59? It would be a shame to let these panels go by the waste side.

T.

Still churning them up... and looking for a "config guru" to put life into 2D panels

gaucho_59
January 15th, 2013, 10:24
Still churning them up... and looking for a "config guru" to put life into 2D panels

Still need to paint details... this is a wide screen type bmp...
Still looking for a collaborator

still working on more bmp panel files

SgtT
January 15th, 2013, 12:56
Which aircraft were the last two panels for. They look great.

T.

gaucho_59
January 15th, 2013, 16:17
Which aircraft were the last two panels for. They look great.

T.

The "photorealistic" one is for some marks (there are so many versions) of the North American T6 trainer
and the last one is a very accurate P-38 J (Pacific Theater).

gaucho_59
January 16th, 2013, 04:31
The "photorealistic" one is for some marks (there are so many versions) of the North American T6 trainer
and the last one is a very accurate P-38 J (Pacific Theater).

Some more of the going projects

OOPS!!!
Pardon me... the Stuka jpg is only what I used for reference... need to
place here the panel I produced... (as soon as I find it! lol... I did it a
while ago and it is archived somewhere...)
A presto... e arrivederci...

gaucho_59
January 17th, 2013, 06:31
Some more of the going projects

OOPS!!!
Pardon me... the Stuka jpg is only what I used for reference... need to
place here the panel I produced... (as soon as I find it! lol... I did it a
while ago and it is archived somewhere...)
A presto... e arrivederci...

Here I found it buried within unfinished projects...

as well as this Dora panel

Blood_Hawk23
January 18th, 2013, 22:59
Those are beautiful.

Have you done any WWI aircraft?

Could you give us a list of what you have available. Maybe that will help spark some intrest. You never know what project someone might be working on. I wish I had the software to do them justice. Otherwise I offer to help.

Superb artwork. Absolutely Superb.

Till later,
John

gaucho_59
January 19th, 2013, 06:23
Those are beautiful.

Could you give us a list of what you have available. Maybe that will help spark some intrest. You never know what project someone might be working on. I wish I had the software to do them justice. Otherwise I offer to help.

Till later,
John

Hard to give you a list right now... it is forever changing because I keep churning them about one a day...
At any rate... I will try to compile a list this weekend... and... all you have to do is give me the name of the
aircraft you want it for... or also [even faster turn-around time) send me the existing (maybe poorly executed
a la Kazunori Ito... great master modeller but kind of poor in textures) and I can re-do it in a jiffy...
(so long as it is fairly faithful to the actual aircraft... I like to do accurate representations whenever possible...
like the ones I have shown here... some are from line drawings or fuzzy pictures which I "doctor"...

gaucho_59
January 27th, 2013, 05:41
Hard to give you a list right now... it is forever changing because I keep churning them about one a day...
At any rate... I will try to compile a list this weekend... and... all you have to do is give me the name of the
aircraft you want it for... or also [even faster turn-around time) send me the existing (maybe poorly executed
a la Kazunori Ito... great master modeller but kind of poor in textures) and I can re-do it in a jiffy...
(so long as it is fairly faithful to the actual aircraft... I like to do accurate representations whenever possible...
like the ones I have shown here... some are from line drawings or fuzzy pictures which I "doctor"...

Still churning them out...

gaucho_59
February 3rd, 2013, 09:03
Still churning them out...

Still looking... got an offer to collaborate and answered it... but
never responded to my email...

:wiggle::wavey:

gaucho_59
February 10th, 2013, 08:17
Still looking... got an offer to collaborate and answered it... but
never responded to my email...

:wiggle::wavey:

Another of my pet peeves about 2D panels... There abound far too many cut-and-paste jobs that put present day instruments in the
panels of yesteryear's venerable Zero-sen and other Japanese pre- and WW2 aircraft... as well as other nations... So I am conjunctly embarking on
a project to create true-to era instrument bezels... Here are a few I've started...
By the time someone feels like collaborating, I will have built a considerable archive of useful textures...
btw... the one solitary request to collaborate DID reassert himself and said that the offer to use my work still stands... only
his work-group needs to finish an extant project...

gaucho_59
February 13th, 2013, 07:34
Another of my pet peeves about 2D panels... There abound far too many cut-and-paste jobs that put present day instruments in the
panels of yesteryear's venerable Zero-sen and other Japanese pre- and WW2 aircraft... as well as other nations... So I am conjunctly embarking on
a project to create true-to era instrument bezels... Here are a few I've started...
By the time someone feels like collaborating, I will have built a considerable archive of useful textures...
btw... the one solitary request to collaborate DID reassert himself and said that the offer to use my work still stands... only
his work-group needs to finish an extant project...

This one is for the P-40 N... from a photograph of derelict being restored...

gaucho_59
February 13th, 2013, 15:15
This one is for the P-40 N... from a photograph of derelict being restored...

Here are a couple more... the first one I did for Francesco Giuli for his excellent modelling of the
Vizzola... and the second was for his S81 - which he didn't know I was doing and never got used
'cause he had already released it in SOH... I also did textures for it... so if I get his permission I
could release as a complete aircraft repaint...

SgtT
February 14th, 2013, 01:07
Thank you for your posts. I wish I had the talent to be able use your panels, they look great.

T.

gaucho_59
February 15th, 2013, 16:22
Thank you for your posts. I wish I had the talent to be able use your panels, they look great.

T.

Just yesterday I saw this in an old download and decided it could use a little re-doing...

gaucho_59
February 16th, 2013, 11:12
Just yesterday I saw this in an old download and decided it could use a little re-doing...

Here is "another before and after" rescue of what I call...mmm mediocre 2D panels...
I think that the "rescued" panel makes the flying experience a little more like "you
are flying" so to speak:

81152before

gaucho_59
February 18th, 2013, 08:32
Those are beautiful.

Till later,
John

If you should want a special WW1 panel, I would be more than glad to re-do it for you... Just send me a pic or the extant bmp
from your aircraft... Send me a PM and I will give you my email address... Here is an example of an existing panel that had
great possibilities and I re-did it... a 30s vintage Wapiti...

gaucho_59
February 19th, 2013, 12:04
If you should want a special WW1 panel, I would be more than glad to re-do it for you... Just send me a pic or the extant bmp
from your aircraft... Send me a PM and I will give you my email address... Here is an example of an existing panel that had
great possibilities and I re-did it... a 30s vintage Wapiti...

I watched a History channel program last night about the rise of Nazi Germany... So as soon as I got up... intrigued by the sinister appearance of
Hitler... I wondered how sinister he would look without that ridiculous moustache and hair style... so I "doctored" a couple of his pictures from the
'Net to see what he would look like without them... Not a very fearsome look, eh?

Sunny9850
February 19th, 2013, 13:30
LOL the one in the top right looks like bloody John Boehner minus the crocodile tears ;)
but with a light stache

Stefan

gaucho_59
February 21st, 2013, 09:21
I watched a History channel program last night about the rise of Nazi Germany... So as soon as I got up... intrigued by the sinister appearance of
Hitler... I wondered how sinister he would look without that ridiculous moustache and hair style... so I "doctored" a couple of his pictures from the
'Net to see what he would look like without them... Not a very fearsome look, eh?

The redo of this aircraft looks like a nice project to undertake...
I just got the very primitive 2D panel for it redone this morning...
and plan to repaint the textures too...

gaucho_59
February 22nd, 2013, 07:56
The redo of this aircraft looks like a nice project to undertake...
I just got the very primitive 2D panel for it redone this morning...
and plan to repaint the textures too...

The Bloch 15181623

gaucho_59
February 22nd, 2013, 10:13
The Bloch 15181623

Here is a redo of the excellent model by Swingman, I think...

kikas
February 24th, 2013, 08:56
Here is a redo of the excellent model by Swingman, I think...

I would love it

gaucho_59
February 25th, 2013, 08:06
I would love it

stuartcox
February 25th, 2013, 08:57
Hi gaucho_59,

I really admire your work on these various panels, and have been following your updates constantly.
Some great effort has gone into these.
Would you be prepared to publish them as they stand, so other developers can have an attempt on your gauges (As you said , gauge improvements needed).?
It is a shame that so many are just being shown as screenshots, with no actual 'function' .
I would love to get my hands on some of these... (for use- not programming).

Please keep up the great work,

Kind regards, Stuart

Edit: Yes, I think you might be slightly addicted... :icon_lol:

gaucho_59
February 25th, 2013, 10:09
Hi gaucho_59,

I really admire your work on these various panels, and have been following your updates constantly.
Would you be prepared to publish them as they stand, so other developers can have an attempt on your gauges (As you said , gauge improvements needed).?
It is a shame that so many are just being shown as screenshots, with no actual 'function' .

Kind regards, Stuart

Thank you for your comments...
I can let you have the original bmp files, just send me a PM with your email address...
Like I said before... if I started programming configs for every one of those...it would be
a never ending story... I just have more fun doing the artwork... Essentially, when I see
a panel I like...[or need for a model] I try to work out the errors of perspective, color, tasteful additions, etc. and
use their basic config. file to reposition or replace insturmentation... especially, those that
have embedded securing screws... which I prefer to be part of the panel and not the xml artwork
for the aforementioned not always fit the specific panel since they were taken from another... like stock CFS2 gauges
"plopped" into a Brit panel, etc.
I've gotten pretty good at changing the gauge artwork eliminating "built in" screws.. changing needles, etc. but it is very tedious
and time consuming work... The panel itself is child's play... can turn them out like sausages... lol
Just this morining I did the preceding biplane and the attached Brit panel...
I really would love for someone experienced to take my artwork, config it, and publish it as complete panel so everyone can enjoy
it...

here is one I did from scratch... on a Hellcat

gaucho_59
February 25th, 2013, 16:10
Thank you for your comments...
I can let you have the original bmp files, just send me a PM with your email address...
Like I said before... if I started programming configs for every one of those...it would be
a never ending story... I just have more fun doing the artwork... Essentially, when I see
a panel I like...[or need for a model] I try to work out the errors of perspective, color, tasteful additions, etc. and
use their basic config. file to reposition or replace insturmentation... especially, those that
have embedded securing screws... which I prefer to be part of the panel and not the xml artwork
for the aforementioned not always fit the specific panel since they were taken from another... like stock CFS2 gauges
"plopped" into a Brit panel, etc.
I've gotten pretty good at changing the gauge artwork eliminating "built in" screws.. changing needles, etc. but it is very tedious
and time consuming work... The panel itself is child's play... can turn them out like sausages... lol
Just this morining I did the preceding biplane and the attached Brit panel...
I really would love for someone experienced to take my artwork, config it, and publish it as complete panel so everyone can enjoy
it...

here is one I did from scratch... on a Hellcat

Just finished another one...

gaucho_59
February 26th, 2013, 12:40
Just finished another one...

I think that there is always room for one more Bf 109....
Still have a few more to finish... earlier and later marks...

gaucho_59
February 27th, 2013, 14:40
I think that there is always room for one more Bf 109....
Still have a few more to finish... earlier and later marks...

For devotees of the B-24...

gaucho_59
March 1st, 2013, 10:44
Hi gaucho_59,

Kind regards, Stuart

My original intention was to produce panel bmp files WITHOUT incongruencies... i.e:
jet age bezels in WW2 vintage aircraft... errors of perspective, etc. Frontal elevation
gauges hanging there in thin air or ON SIDE PANELS...
Now, at the risk of sounding like a crotchety old dude... I prefer my panels be used "as
is"... or if one adds to them... it somehow enhances them rather than turn them into what I term
the "more is better" idea of some of our fellow sim devotees... I think that only "better
is better"... in other words... if one can improve an artist's work... DO IT but... if detracts
from somebody's efforts... leave well enough alone...
Personally, in the example herebelow ... "termed 'I tricked Gaucho's panel'...." I think the
"tricking" does no enhance the original work.... but rather turns it into exactly what I am tryingto do:
panels that do not look like a hodge-podge of bezels every-which-where!

I did a panel - published since - from an actual photograph - of an Italian pursuit plane - with a
lot of effort... even redid the artwork of the gauges... and find it published by the author with gauges
(very correct) but hanging in thin air... added in excess of what was in the photograph...
I think that if one commissions someone to do something... you either say "it is not what I wanted"
and do it as you like... or say "I'd like thus and so... change it"
But doing amateurish corrections to someone's relatively professional quality work..without their consent...
is not the best of things... I AM NEITHER OFFENDED OR UPSET... I just don't like the idea of someone who
pays attention to detail thinking... this old guy preaches one thing and then puts out the same "sh....t" that
he SAYS is wrong in many 2D panels...
I anyone thinks my reaction is inappropriate please point it out...

gaucho_59
March 6th, 2013, 13:04
My original intention was to produce panel bmp files WITHOUT incongruencies... i.e:
jet age bezels in WW2 vintage aircraft... errors of perspective, etc. Frontal elevation
gauges hanging there in thin air or ON SIDE PANELS...
Now, at the risk of sounding like a crotchety old dude... I prefer my panels be used "as
is"... or if one adds to them... it somehow enhances them rather than turn them into what I term
the "more is better" idea of some of our fellow sim devotees... I think that only "better
is better"... in other words... if one can improve an artist's work... DO IT but... if detracts
from somebody's efforts... leave well enough alone...
Personally, in the example herebelow ... "termed 'I tricked Gaucho's panel'...." I think the
"tricking" does no enhance the original work.... but rather turns it into exactly what I am tryingto do:
panels that do not look like a hodge-podge of bezels every-which-where!

I did a panel - published since - from an actual photograph - of an Italian pursuit plane - with a
lot of effort... even redid the artwork of the gauges... and find it published by the author with gauges
(very correct) but hanging in thin air... added in excess of what was in the photograph...
I think that if one commissions someone to do something... you either say "it is not what I wanted"
and do it as you like... or say "I'd like thus and so... change it"
But doing amateurish corrections to someone's relatively professional quality work..without their consent...
is not the best of things... I AM NEITHER OFFENDED OR UPSET... I just don't like the idea of someone who
pays attention to detail thinking... this old guy preaches one thing and then puts out the same "sh....t" that
he SAYS is wrong in many 2D panels...
I anyone thinks my reaction is inappropriate please point it out...

Working on a repaint of the FSX model revived by Bob Cichilo... so I redid his
version of the cockpit...

gaucho_59
March 8th, 2013, 17:26
Working on a repaint of the FSX model revived by Bob Cichilo... so I redid his
version of the cockpit...

gaucho_59
March 9th, 2013, 03:07

Going through my archived "enhancements", decided to quickly finish this one...
for another or Akemi-San's excellent models...82625

'

gaucho_59
March 9th, 2013, 11:25
Going through my archived "enhancements", decided to quickly finish this one...
for another or Akemi-San's excellent models...82625

'

Another fresh of the oven...82640

gaucho_59
March 10th, 2013, 08:44
Another fresh of the oven...82640

this one for British fighters

gaucho_59
March 11th, 2013, 09:31
this one for British fighters

this one was a great panel to start with... I just "touched it up" with lights,
shadings and reflections, clean up lines, etc. [all credit to the original author or
authors]

:applause::salute:

gaucho_59
March 11th, 2013, 14:17
this one was a great panel to start with... I just "touched it up" with lights,
shadings and reflections, clean up lines, etc. [all credit to the original author or
authors]

:applause::salute:

A while ago someone asked me for a list of the panel bmp files I have redone,
since the list would be forever changing... I decided to post them as I go
and if anyone wants any of them, my offer still stands... just drop me a line...
The one herebelow is for the recently posted FSX FW44J

gaucho_59
March 17th, 2013, 05:10
A while ago someone asked me for a list of the panel bmp files I have redone,
since the list would be forever changing... I decided to post them as I go
and if anyone wants any of them, my offer still stands... just drop me a line...
The one herebelow is for the recently posted FSX FW44J

Again an excellent model ripe for redoing textures to render it really interesting...
working on redoing its new Korean livery (lived in Yongsang from 2005-07 and
took its pic at Inchon airport)

gaucho_59
March 17th, 2013, 11:16
Again an excellent model ripe for redoing textures to render it really interesting...
working on redoing its new Korean livery (lived in Yongsang from 2005-07 and
took its pic at Inchon airport)

Ran into an actual photograph of the Stieglitz panel... so I redid my redo...

kikas
March 17th, 2013, 12:08
I have no idea how to do panel myself but at least its very pleasant too look at your work

gaucho_59
March 17th, 2013, 17:47
I continue to churn them out... and if anyone wants a copy of the bmp files ready
to config... just drop me a line... I am working on a wide screen panel for a
Constellation for a group in Germany that promises to be a humdinger of a model...
hope someone else takes notice of my work and asks for my collaboration....
I posted on the mentoring area... to show anyone who is willing to learn how to create
panels... (if enough people are interested, I can do a tutorial to get you started... of course,
I am no guru when it comes to configs... I use a neat little program that practically places the
gauges for you and it is a "wysiwyg" type (what you see is what you get), i.e: no complicated coordinates, etc.
just place the gauges by hand and resize on the fly... it is called ConfigEdit (old but very
easy to work with and get professional looking results...)
ciao for now...
carlos

SgtT
March 18th, 2013, 01:22
I have to echo kikas's comments, great job!

gaucho_59
March 18th, 2013, 09:18
I have to echo kikas's comments, great job!

As usual, available upon request...
ciao for now...

Sorry... got in a bit of a hurry and posted with an unfinished part... will
replace jpg ASAP

Here it is, the hinge on the upper Left corner was not finished...

gaucho_59
March 19th, 2013, 10:28
As usual, available upon request...
ciao for now...

Sorry... got in a bit of a hurry and posted with an unfinished part... will
replace jpg ASAP

Here it is, the hinge on the upper Left corner was not finished...

My CFS2 stopped workinga while ago... I finally found the installation disk and while
checking the aircraft inventory in it, I ran into thi P-39 panel... with possibilities...
so I quickly fixed it up nice... (it's not really faithful to any of the photos I have... but
there were so many versions of the original aircraft... export to other allied forces that
I figured I would not bother with accurizing it...

gaucho_59
March 21st, 2013, 07:16
My CFS2 stopped workinga while ago... I finally found the installation disk and while
checking the aircraft inventory in it, I ran into thi P-39 panel... with possibilities...
so I quickly fixed it up nice... (it's not really faithful to any of the photos I have... but
there were so many versions of the original aircraft... export to other allied forces that
I figured I would not bother with accurizing it...

Here is another of those panels that merit a little touch up... actually
redid about everything...lol

gaucho_59
March 24th, 2013, 12:46
Here is another of those panels that merit a little touch up... actually
redid about everything...lol

Oops... I mislabeled the panel as Devastator... it is the SBU-1 Vindicator...

At any rate, I redid the original posted textures this morning...

gaucho_59
March 28th, 2013, 06:44
:icon_lol:Has anyone noticed that ubiquitous Jap pilot flying all kinds of US, Brit, etc.
aircraft?... Well, I decided to fire him in my sim!
Here is the solution...

I repainted that little squirt and now one can have a reasonable pilot for
most WW2 aircraft
Just drop me a PM anyone is interested in having it

gaucho_59
March 31st, 2013, 07:15
:icon_lol:Has anyone noticed that ubiquitous Jap pilot flying all kinds of US, Brit, etc.
aircraft?... Well, I decided to fire him in my sim!
Here is the solution...

I repainted that little squirt and now one can have a reasonable pilot for
most WW2 aircraft
Just drop me a PM anyone is interested in having it

This one of from a photograph... showing the tubular structure fuselage sides and
more accurate details

gaucho_59
March 31st, 2013, 15:02
This one of from a photograph... showing the tubular structure fuselage sides and
more accurate details

I guess I posted too soon... it needed a few more touches... and probably more as I
find things that need tweeking...

gaucho_59
March 31st, 2013, 22:52
I guess I posted too soon... it needed a few more touches... and probably more as I
find things that need tweeking...

I am reworking this last WIP to a widescreen format and with more headroom... just did a quick redo and still need
to finish it properly with all the "nuts and bolts and handles "....

gaucho_59
April 1st, 2013, 06:59
QUOTE=gaucho_59;794873]I am reworking this last WIP to a widescreen format and with more headroom... just did a quick redo and still need
to finish it properly with all the "nuts and bolts and handles "....

83974[/QUOTE]

End of the road... for now....:salute:
:wavey:83994

gaucho_59
April 3rd, 2013, 12:37
:running: trying to download a jpg file to now avail...

gaucho_59
April 4th, 2013, 02:41
:running: trying to download a jpg file to now avail... Well, for some reason it goes OK until it comes to "upload" and the little "working" rotating icon goes on and on and nothing happens...is there any way to correct this? I am sure it only happens with my computer... for I see all kinds of posting everywhere... HELP!!!!
:isadizzy::running::isadizzy:

gaucho_59
April 4th, 2013, 09:00
Well, for some reason it goes OK until it comes to "upload" and the little "working" rotating icon goes on and on and nothing happens...is there any way to correct this? I am sure it only happens with my computer... for I see all kinds of posting everywhere... HELP!!!!
:isadizzy::running::isadizzy:
Still cannot upload an image.... from my computer....however, images I uploaded before seem to go OK.... Does anyone know what the problem is? or how to contact Icky about it?

gaucho_59
April 5th, 2013, 15:01
Still cannot upload an image.... from my computer....however, images I uploaded before seem to go OK.... Does anyone know what the problem is? or how to contact Icky about it?

I hope this works... keeping my fingers crossed....

Well whaddyaknow! It works

This B-45 Tornado panel is what I was trying to upload.... Comments welcome....

gaucho_59
April 17th, 2013, 05:31
I hope this works... keeping my fingers crossed....

Well whaddyaknow! It works

This B-45 Tornado panel is what I was trying to upload.... Comments welcome....

Just ran into an earlier panel "touch up" I did a while ago... I had been trying my hand at ship profiles... so
I sort of laid off panels for a bit (and tried my hand at this new endeavor - for me... kind of a methadone
treatment for my addiction to 2D panels :wavey::wavey: :cool::cool:

Matt Wynn
April 17th, 2013, 05:44
good looking Bismarck buddy! my profession these days is in the Profile art business... clients are mostly owners but also working on a 'flying museum's store as a potential client, that plus seeing if i can get my work onto jackets to make 'crew jackets'... it started as a hobby and kinda snowballed :icon_lol:

gaucho_59
April 17th, 2013, 06:14
good looking Bismarck buddy! my profession these days is in the Profile art business... clients are mostly owners but also working on a 'flying museum's store as a potential client, that plus seeing if i can get my work onto jackets to make 'crew jackets'... it started as a hobby and kinda snowballed :icon_lol:

I admire your artwork very much... I am just a very passionate amateur... My youngest son (28 now) is a very good illustrator and working now for the New York Daily News... He graduated from
the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale in Florida and "putzed" around free lancing for more than 4 years before he got a "regular" job...:mixedsmi:
He's bent on commercializing my artwork through creating a site for my hobby work...
So I am going to send him some of my latest stuff to see what happens... Actually, as a retired anesthesiologist almost 30 years in military practice, I am not eager to make money... but the
idea of publishing stuff sort of seduces me a bit (vanity??) so I am sending him some of my latest productions in 800 dpi... He suggested I do the work in that resolution aiming to sell prints...
I've read a bit about your economic vicissitudes... since he is very well connected in the artwork illustration scene... I will call you to his attention... he might eventually come up with something for you
in New York... one never knows...:salute::wiggle:

Matt Wynn
April 17th, 2013, 06:26
that's right, one never knows.... here's an example (Or Two!) of my most recent.... and my current Work in Progress

a Chipmunk Belonging to Classic Airforce in the UK, and the Avro Vulcan (Still absolute masses to do on the Vulcan itself! got to refine the wing shape, add decals... she's a long way off, only 20h work in her so far compared to the 200+ on the Chipmunk). the part i like with profiles is that no two are ever the same, certain artists do things certain ways, Chipmunk artwork is an absolute pleasure as for customers i have to go around and locate airframe history (Construction number, it's life etc...) and add that to my master template for print... it's a great hobby, keeps me out of trouble and allows you to practice certain things you can potentially bring to the FS world...

gaucho_59
April 17th, 2013, 06:54
that's right, one never knows.... here's an example (Or Two!) of my most recent.... and my current Work in Progress

a Chipmunk Belonging to Classic Airforce in the UK, and the Avro Vulcan (Still absolute masses to do on the Vulcan itself! got to refine the wing shape, add decals... she's a long way off, only 20h work in her so far compared to the 200+ on the Chipmunk). the part i like with profiles is that no two are ever the same, certain artists do things certain ways, Chipmunk artwork is an absolute pleasure as for customers i have to go around and locate airframe history (Construction number, it's life etc...) and add that to my master template for print... it's a great hobby, keeps me out of trouble and allows you to practice certain things you can potentially bring to the FS world...

What dpi are they? Very nice indeed... You are so very right about profile work... I've gotten so enthralled by it that I only "fly" on the sim to test my paintwork...hahaha:isadizzy:

Matt Wynn
April 17th, 2013, 07:37
the chippie is at 4000px by 1640px (at 300PPI) in terms of display scale so is ideal for my average print on A3 gloss/semi-gloss, when a customer specifies larger then i do that, recently i've started looking at applying my profiles to replica MA-1 (for example) jackets (as sort of a crew/team jacket) via a heat press, just a new avenue i'm exploring... theres a lot of potential out there, but i do it for the love of it, the small income (at the moment unless things pay off on potentials) is just a bonus...

gaucho_59
April 17th, 2013, 08:29
the chippie is at 4000px by 1640px (at 300PPI) in terms of display scale so is ideal for my average print on A3 gloss/semi-gloss, when a customer specifies larger then i do that, recently i've started looking at applying my profiles to replica MA-1 (for example) jackets (as sort of a crew/team jacket) via a heat press, just a new avenue i'm exploring... theres a lot of potential out there, but i do it for the love of it, the small income (at the moment unless things pay off on potentials) is just a bonus...

Any venture, in my experience of 75 years of "hard, soft and medium" life... is worth exploring... even when the initial results are meager...
But one thing I've learned is that one should follow what one loves to do... I sort of gravitated into Medicine by opportunity, chance, etc. and
although I was an excellent anesthesiologist... I didn't want to be a doctor since I was yeah high to school desk... so I soon tired of the challenge
and it became a chore so to speak... well paying and comfortable... but I experienced "slow burnout" after my year in Viet Nam...
When I retired in 1984 I discovered computers and re-discovered a long forgotten passion... (I started off studying Architecture)... painting!
And believe me... I think I should have spent my life as an artist... on my own... never having to deal with "A" type surgeons who were always in
a hurry... :running::running::running: and would have probably been happy as a free bird... :jump::jump::jump:
So my advise to all young men and women... DO WHAT YOU LOVE!

Matt Wynn
April 17th, 2013, 09:54
yeah i kinda fell into profile artistry myself, i am qualified in Graphic Design and dabbled in Architecture (My coursework for Graphic Design was a Hangar converted into a Nightclub, but i was 15 years old back then and enjoyed cutting the Architects board accurately, maintaining my accurate expectations, i work on the 'would i be happy with this on display?' principle, my model to this day remains on display at my school... but i started on the profile art path as a hobby back in 2005, then in January this year a buddy suggested i try to sell my artworks, which i did and has been on a steady grow ever since... right at this moment as i say i'm looking at converting the Garden shed into a printing station and transfer station (currently figuring out how much the tooling will be to offer profiles on items, not just Printed on Paper etc...)

gaucho_59
April 17th, 2013, 10:50
yeah i kinda fell into profile artistry myself, i am qualified in Graphic Design and dabbled in Architecture (My coursework for Graphic Design was a Hangar converted into a Nightclub, but i was 15 years old back then and enjoyed cutting the Architects board accurately, maintaining my accurate expectations, i work on the 'would i be happy with this on display?' principle, my model to this day remains on display at my school... but i started on the profile art path as a hobby back in 2005, then in January this year a buddy suggested i try to sell my artworks, which i did and has been on a steady grow ever since... right at this moment as i say i'm looking at converting the Garden shed into a printing station and transfer station (currently figuring out how much the tooling will be to offer profiles on items, not just Printed on Paper etc...)

Yes... that sounds promising... for there is a market for T-shirts, memorabilia, etc. Are you thinking about selling the transfers or actually printing them on shirts, etc.?
Here in Palm Springs there is a very nice Air Museum (of world renown I think) that has T-shirts and sport shirts with (what I think) is mediocre WW2 era planes on them....
If you get going... I can probably get you an exclusive in their gift shop (know a couple of old gizzards there)...

Matt Wynn
April 17th, 2013, 11:35
if i got it going i'd be doing it myself, transfers and printing onto items... but got to see whether i can convince my father to let me either have the Garden shed to modify (would need insulation, damp-proofing and the walls covered) or half the office, still thinking what-ifs here about it.... might see if there's any local businesses around here that can do it first, if not i'll kind of have the local monopoly on it :icon_lol:

gaucho_59
April 18th, 2013, 07:13
if i got it going i'd be doing it myself, transfers and printing onto items... but got to see whether i can convince my father to let me either have the Garden shed to modify (would need insulation, damp-proofing and the walls covered) or half the office, still thinking what-ifs here about it.... might see if there's any local businesses around here that can do it first, if not i'll kind of have the local monopoly on it :icon_lol:

I think comparing the last profile to this earlier work shows I am progressing some... (before I started working at 300 dpi) and much smaller frame... 1024...

Matt Wynn
April 18th, 2013, 08:20
looks good, yeah most of my profiles are in the 4000-6000 horizontal pixel range though a few have been upwards of 10,000Pixels... it means more work and more detail but is worth it at times, especially on larger aircraft suited for larger scale work....

gaucho_59
April 19th, 2013, 11:12
looks good, yeah most of my profiles are in the 4000-6000 horizontal pixel range though a few have been upwards of 10,000Pixels... it means more work and more detail but is worth it at times, especially on larger aircraft suited for larger scale work....

After our little chat... got going on a profile I had left undone for a while...
Would like to find a good model of this one and do the skins...

gaucho_59
April 20th, 2013, 08:57
After our little chat... got going on a profile I had left undone for a while...
Would like to find a good model of this one and do the skins...

Enclosed is a sample that illustrates my point in pursuing the quest for better 2D panels...

before and after:

gaucho_59
April 20th, 2013, 22:37
Enclosed is a sample that illustrates my point in pursuing the quest for better 2D panels...

before and after:

Here's another one... Comments or questions welcome...
If anyone should want a special panel to be done...let me now...

OBIO
April 23rd, 2013, 19:34
Gaucho

Dig around in the SOH FS2004 library for the update/restoration package I did on the freeware Alphasim Cessna Bobcat. I even did the very plane you depict in your profile art.....how's that for having your cake and eating it too?

Tim

gaucho_59
April 23rd, 2013, 19:41
Gaucho

Dig around in the SOH FS2004 library for the update/restoration package I did on the freeware Alphasim Cessna Bobcat. I even did the very plane you depict in your profile art.....how's that for having your cake and eating it too?

Tim

I will look it up... would putting your name on it make it easy to fin?

OBIO
April 24th, 2013, 12:37
Gaucho

I dug through the library here and could not find the uploads I did for the Bobcat.....lots of my files are hard to find following the library upgrade. Go over to Flightsim.com, and do a file library search for Tim Dement (that is my real name) and the results should be 3 pages of stuff that I have uploaded or that contain sound packs that I created. Go to page 2, the top 4 files listed are what you want for the full Bobcat Restoration project.

Tim

gaucho_59
April 24th, 2013, 21:07
Gaucho

I dug through the library here and could not find the uploads I did for the Bobcat.....lots of my files are hard to find following the library upgrade. Go over to Flightsim.com, and do a file library search for Tim Dement (that is my real name) and the results should be 3 pages of stuff that I have uploaded or that contain sound packs that I created. Go to page 2, the top 4 files listed are what you want for the full Bobcat Restoration project.

Tim

Thanks a lot Tim... I tried to find it but no luck... downloaded a prewar natural metal one... but it will be a lot easier to work on the one from the picture... instead of converting this one from the word go...
Going to Flightsim.com now...

Again Thanks...
Carlos

PS: almost finished with a striking profile of a Breguet Alize in Indian livery... will put it here tomorrow or the next day

gaucho_59
April 25th, 2013, 05:48
Thanks a lot Tim... I tried to find it but no luck... downloaded a prewar natural metal one... but it will be a lot easier to work on the one from the picture... instead of converting this one from the word go...
Going to Flightsim.com now...

Again Thanks...
Carlos

PS: almost finished with a striking profile of a Breguet Alize in Indian livery... will put it here tomorrow or the next day

I did go and download your files.... Excellent liveries... I want to do at least one for my collection on FS9!
I got up early this morning and finished the Alize! going to work on the textures next...

gaucho_59
April 26th, 2013, 12:23
I did go and download your files.... Excellent liveries... I want to do at least one for my collection on FS9!
I got up early this morning and finished the Alize! going to work on the textures next...

I just did a "photo-realistic" panel to go with this aircraft...
Here is the texture...
(Need to resize it because it is a little larger than 1024 X etc.)

gaucho_59
May 2nd, 2013, 07:21
Here is the texture...

This one is much closer to the real cockpit...

gaucho_59
May 3rd, 2013, 07:30
Here is the texture...

This is complementary to the above rendition... (corrected perspective, adapted boards, etc.
from a distorted albeit excellent detailed photo)

gaucho_59
May 3rd, 2013, 14:45
:wiggle:
This is complementary to the above rendition... (corrected perspective, adapted boards, etc.
from a distorted albeit excellent detailed photo)

touched up another derelict 2D panel... think it renders the Auster a bit nicer... gotta work on the textures now...
:salute::running::running::running:

gaucho_59
May 7th, 2013, 05:34
:wiggle:

touched up another derelict 2D panel... think it renders the Auster a bit nicer... gotta work on the textures now...
:salute::running::running::running:

The Opensky Project 145 is just too cool to believe for a freeware! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause:
and so easy to repaint... no need for a kit or anything else.... did a Brazilian first and then found this Belgian Air Force livery that is
just so nice just to look at...

gaucho_59
May 8th, 2013, 20:23
The Opensky Project 145 is just too cool to believe for a freeware! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause:
and so easy to repaint... no need for a kit or anything else.... did a Brazilian first and then found this Belgian Air Force livery that is
just so nice just to look at...

Just downloaded an Avro Lincoln (rare specimen for me..:mixedsmi:) last of the Brit heavy prop bombers... in Aussie colors...
already redid the panel and started on the wings... very interesting thing... somewhat intriguing in looks... sort of a odd looking
airframe...

gaucho_59
May 9th, 2013, 07:08
Just downloaded an Avro Lincoln (rare specimen for me..:mixedsmi:) last of the Brit heavy prop bombers... in Aussie colors...
already redid the panel and started on the wings... very interesting thing... somewhat intriguing in looks... sort of a odd looking
airframe...

It cleans up fairly nice... Before I proceed further with it.. a question if anyone knows about it... is the paint scheme correct for mid to late forties Aussie
markings to display the wing roundels only on the undersurfaces?

Naismith
May 9th, 2013, 09:31
Is it possible to change the name of this thread? I looked for the first time today and it is about anything but the Storch panel. I never looked before because I don't have a Storch, it is doing a disservice imho to all the hard work going on in other panel respects.

gaucho_59
May 12th, 2013, 07:15
Is it possible to change the name of this thread? I looked for the first time today and it is about anything but the Storch panel. I never looked before because I don't have a Storch, it is doing a disservice imho to all the hard work going on in other panel respects.

As you can see by the number of hits... a lot of folks seem to follow this thread... so changing the name - in my modest opinion - would only confuse people...
I think the name of the thread is not really that important...

Here's my last addition... a nice revisit of an old 2d panel by some Japanese designer whose name escapes me at the moment...
again... the basic panel was worth the little time spent improving it...

gaucho_59
May 14th, 2013, 13:05
As you can see by the number of hits... a lot of folks seem to follow this thread... so changing the name - in my modest opinion - would only confuse people...
I think the name of the thread is not really that important...

Here's my last addition... a nice revisit of an old 2d panel by some Japanese designer whose name escapes me at the moment...
again... the basic panel was worth the little time spent improving it...

I think the Dassault Etendard is one heck of elegant looking aircraft... Here is a tribute to those crazy argentine gauchos that
gave their all for a futile cause....

gaucho_59
May 14th, 2013, 19:52
While ago I redid the textures of a very rare naval fighter of the early 50s very nicely developed by
the master Kazunori Ito... so I decided to spruce up the panel - which as we all know is not quite masterfully
done by Ito (I don't think painting is amongst Ito's plethora of talents... or does he cares...)
The textures came out quite nice I think... and if you have the model and want to improve it...just send me a PM
and you can have them by return email...

Shessi
May 15th, 2013, 08:56
I've been watching this post and I'm really impressed with the quality of your art work, the panels and profiles are superb, as someone said a real pleasure to look at. I've got to admit the photo realistic one is very realistic (for a sim 2D image!).

Keep up the great work fella!

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
May 15th, 2013, 14:29
I've been watching this post and I'm really impressed with the quality of your art work, the panels and profiles are superb, as someone said a real pleasure to look at. I've got to admit the photo realistic one is very realistic (for a sim 2D image!).

Keep up the great work fella!

Cheers

Shessi

Just finished a new take on the Vindicator panel...

gaucho_59
May 17th, 2013, 07:51
Just finished a new take on the Vindicator panel...

Here is my version of the A-10 2D panel...
As usual always available through PM and return e-mail... you do your own config.

gaucho_59
May 17th, 2013, 15:18
Here is my version of the A-10 2D panel...
As usual always available through PM and return e-mail... you do your own config.

Started a remake of an MC 202 whose textures are amenable to render a really nice, quality product...
The textures, like the panel, fit very well and the model flies and looks pretty well even as is...

The panel is a bit primitive, but it can be made to look pretty nice...

gaucho_59
May 18th, 2013, 10:12
Just redid this Fuerza Aerea Bolivariana of Venezuela panel... the other textures need very little work...

gaucho_59
May 19th, 2013, 20:11
Just downloaded a set of Beaufighter repaints and retouched quite a bit the panel...
Comments welcome...

jinx
May 20th, 2013, 15:15
Amazing work.

I am speechless...

gaucho_59
May 20th, 2013, 17:07
Amazing work.

I am speechless...

Today was a "bad day at Black Rock"... .:isadizzy:
I worked all morning on the panel for the He 115 floatplane and...
as I was almost finished... I had a reference photo superimposed on the
work space and wanting to close it... I pushed the wrong X button [the 115 panel almost done) and of course, when it asked "save changes" I said...
NO and away the file went... all the work for nothing... I was depressed...hahaha...:pop4::isadizzy:
but restarted what I had left (which was the very beginning layers...) and it is coming pretty nice... actually better than before...
However, I had done a very, very nice job on the bombardier's nose showing on the right... and I don't know whether I can achieve it again...
probably yes... actually, I chalk it up to "experience" and keep plowing the field...
I should have it here by tomorrow...

gaucho_59
May 20th, 2013, 17:16
:isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy:
Today was a "bad day at Black Rock"... .:isadizzy:
I worked all morning on the panel for the He 115 floatplane and...
as I was almost finished... I had a reference photo superimposed on the
work space and wanting to close it... I pushed the wrong X button [the 115 panel almost done) and of course, when it asked "save changes" I said...
NO and away the file went... all the work for nothing... I was depressed...hahaha...:pop4::isadizzy:
but restarted what I had left (which was the very beginning layers...) and it is coming pretty nice... actually better than before...
However, I had done a very, very nice job on the bombardier's nose showing on the right... and I don't know whether I can achieve it again...
probably yes... actually, I chalk it up to "experience" and keep plowing the field...
I should have it here by tomorrow...

:isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy:
the panel I was working on (and I am still) was for the He 111 Spanish Civil War vintage... not the Heinkel floatplane... that one is safe...

glh
May 20th, 2013, 17:59
Gaucho:

Really outstanding work! You've got a talent that few people can match with your speed and accuracy.

Since you seem open to suggestions, I hope you will consider the following:

1.) Milton Shupe's Avia series of aircraft could use an accurate depiction of their panels if they can be found
somewhere. To my knowledge, he used a jury-rigged panel in them and I have never seen/heard of an accurate
one developed.

2.) Milton's also going to start his Douglas A-20 Havoc project later on. I don't know if he's got an A-20 panel or not.

3.) Got anything different for the Douglas DC-3/4/6/7 series aircraft and/or the Douglas Skyraider ??

gaucho_59
May 20th, 2013, 19:51
Gaucho:

Really outstanding work! You've got a talent that few people can match with your speed and accuracy.

Since you seem open to suggestions, I hope you will consider the following:

1.) Milton Shupe's Avia series of aircraft could use an accurate depiction of their panels if they can be found
somewhere. To my knowledge, he used a jury-rigged panel in them and I have never seen/heard of an accurate
one developed.

2.) Milton's also going to start his Douglas A-20 Havoc project later on. I don't know if he's got an A-20 panel or not.

3.) Got anything different for the Douglas DC-3/4/6/7 series aircraft and/or the Douglas Skyraider ??

I do have a nice Douglas Skyrader panel that started a long time ago and never finished... will work on it next...
As to the Avia panel... I need to research it on the net... I was thinking about it because the model has outstanding
skin work for a natural metal finish (the version by Nigel)... I do have an unfinished Havoc panel I can work on...
:salute::wiggle::wiggle::running::running::running :

glh
May 20th, 2013, 22:17
I do have a nice Douglas Skyrader panel that started a long time ago and never finished... will work on it next...
As to the Avia panel... I need to research it on the net... I was thinking about it because the model has outstanding
skin work for a natural metal finish (the version by Nigel)... I do have an unfinished Havoc panel I can work on...
:salute::wiggle::wiggle::running::running::running :

Excellent !! Let's see what you come up with and I can take some tries at the configuration file. I've done some work on them for modifications for my own use but I'm sure I will be nowhere near as FAST as you are in turning them out. And it is going to be a learning process. But one has got to start somewhere. Let me say I will try to develop them on an as-time-permits basis.

glh
May 21st, 2013, 04:24
Before you do anything with the A-20 panel, you might want to look here in the "Maintenance and Handling Instructions". It shows an A-20 panel and discusses what is there.

http://www.airpages.ru/eng/us/a20.shtml

gaucho_59
May 21st, 2013, 04:37
Before you do anything with the A-20 panel, you might want to look here in the "Maintenance and Handling Instructions". It shows an A-20 panel and discusses what is there.

Thanks a lot... very good source of materials for an accurate panel...
I put it on my favorites list :running::running::running:
:salute:

gaucho_59
May 22nd, 2013, 08:56

Still very much a WIP but got back pretty much to where I was when I lost the file...
Actually, in redoing it I think I improved it a bit...

gaucho_59
May 25th, 2013, 05:40

Indeed those references were fantastic and let me achieve results beyond what
I expected... Thanks again...:salute::salute::salute::wavey::wavey::wav ey:

glh
May 25th, 2013, 20:37
Carlos:

Great effort. But I believe your panel color is too "minty" green. Can you recolor to more of an olive drab??

Go to airliners.net and search for A-20 Havoc. You will get an idea of what "Olive Drab" is for a color.

gaucho_59
May 26th, 2013, 08:46
:jump:
Carlos:

Great effort. But I believe your panel color is too "minty" green. Can you recolor to more of an olive drab??

Go to airliners.net and search for A-20 Havoc. You will get an idea of what "Olive Drab" is for a color.

I guess I can change the color.... it is a bit of a hassle... might fool around for a bit and see what happens...
Color as I explained earlier in another post is a bit of gilding the lilly because UV radiation, exposure to heat, and myriad
other factors like heat and humidity and thus oxidation rates... fade colors, change hues... etc.
I was in Viet Nam in 69... and never saw two aircraft with exact same shades of color...
all paint chips serve to is to mix the right colors at the factory so there is uniformity of color... or repaint panels, etc.
in the field... But that is about it...
OD green, is no exception... There was a fruitless nit picking discussion in one of the forums as to the color of the
Argentine blue on the fin flash of a turbo S2 and believe me... I am originally from Uruguay and Argentina... NONE
of the colors shown in the photographs came near to that special pale blue... which by the way... is not the same in any
two aircraft in real life....
I think the preoccupation with color "rivet counting" is probably a leftover from the good old days of IPMS judgings... lol
I used to be a plastic modeler and we had the same issues with color... not to say the least... the perfect shade looked
different depending on the scale of the model... the same color appeared way to dark on 1/72 or way too light on 1/32...
Chromate zinc interior color is a case in point...

gaucho_59
May 26th, 2013, 09:26
Carlos:

:isadizzy::running::running::salute::wiggle::wiggl e::wiggle:

glh
May 26th, 2013, 11:31
Quite frankly, I don't see any color change at all.

glh
May 26th, 2013, 12:02
Carlos:

Enrique Medal has done an A-20 panel for FSX (and someone else for CFS1) that appears quite good. You may want to download it and examine the structure of the bitmaps, what is and is not put on bitmaps, what is used in popups, etc.

I don't believe it would be worthwhile to reinvent this project as his panel is freeware.

Here's a link:

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=Havoc&x=18&y=12

gaucho_59
May 26th, 2013, 20:44
Carlos:

Enrique Medal has done an A-20 panel for FSX (and someone else for CFS1) that appears quite good. You may want to download it and examine the structure of the bitmaps, what is and is not put on bitmaps, what is used in popups, etc.

I don't believe it would be worthwhile to reinvent this project as his panel is freeware.

Here's a link:

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=Havoc&x=18&y=12

I'd be interested to see this but the link does not work... do you know where it is posted?

glh
May 27th, 2013, 06:38
I'd be interested to see this but the link does not work... do you know where it is posted?

Depress your left mouse button, run it across the blue text to select it, then depress your right mouse button and select "Open Link in New Tab (or Window)".

gaucho_59
May 28th, 2013, 21:25

The panel with this model was very much bare bones... so I redid it...
Comments welcome...

gaucho_59
June 3rd, 2013, 23:25
The panel with this model was very much bare bones... so I redid it...
Comments welcome...

Just "revitalized" this in my archives...

gaucho_59
June 4th, 2013, 20:15
Just "revitalized" this in my archives...

Just out of the oven...

gaucho_59
June 5th, 2013, 05:46
Just out of the oven...

So I repainted it to go with the new panel...

and corrected a glaring error on the canopy bracing of the windshield....

Shessi
June 5th, 2013, 07:53
Hi Gaucho,
As before, very nice work indeed, a great start for 2D panel work.

A small constructive critisism if you don't mind? As with the A20 Havoc panel, I think this apears to be too light in colour. And please, I'm no rivet counter or IPMS judge!.ha ha.;)

I think your Chinese trainer, Barracuda and Beaufighter cockpits are superb examples of light/shade and the depth that they bring. And I totally agree that all paint is not the same or needs to the same, just because it is an XYZ aircraft. Paint spec changes, environment, theatre and wear etc all have effect. Having said that even if the colour may have faded or had something else affect it, it certainly would not do that uniformly around the cockpit.

No one can fault the quality and artistry of your work, personally I love 'em, something I could not do myself! Keep them coming please.......

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
June 5th, 2013, 12:59
Hi Gaucho,
As before, very nice work indeed, a great start for 2D panel work.

A small constructive critisism if you don't mind? As with the A20 Havoc panel, I think this apears to be too light in colour. And please, I'm no rivet counter or IPMS judge!.ha ha.;)

I think your Chinese trainer, Barracuda and Beaufighter cockpits are superb examples of light/shade and the depth that they bring. And I totally agree that all paint is not the same or needs to the same, just because it is an XYZ aircraft. Paint spec changes, environment, theatre and wear etc all have effect. Having said that even if the colour may have faded or had something else affect it, it certainly would not do that uniformly around the cockpit.

No one can fault the quality and artistry of your work, personally I love 'em, something I could not do myself! Keep them coming please.......

Cheers

Shessi

You are absolutely right... with time... I can fool around to vary colorations... for now I just limited myself to take what someone started and
bring it to a more believable level, albeit lacking in weathering, etc. Certainly something to think about adding to these panels... the are by
no means written in stone... Thanks again for the attention to detail...

gaucho_59
June 6th, 2013, 09:52
You are absolutely right... with time... I can fool around to vary colorations... for now I just limited myself to take what someone started and
bring it to a more believable level, albeit lacking in weathering, etc. Certainly something to think about adding to these panels... the are by
no means written in stone... Thanks again for the attention to detail...

Before and after views of one of Kazunori Ito's Messerschmitt panels...
As it can be easily seen... there is a lot one can do to "rejuvenate" and "update" such efforts...
unfortunately... no one seems interested in doing so....
I would still very much like to team up with someone to do some "payware" quality 2D panels...
in the meantime... I keep on cranking them up...

Shessi
June 6th, 2013, 10:22
Gaucho,
I take it you want a partner to turn your 'picture' 2D panels into gauge fitted and working panels?

I've got to admit this is one of the best places to advertise your work.

A few thoughts, ideas.
Have you approached any of the well know modellers here at the SOH to see if you could team or input to their work? (higher profile on the back of a SOH freebie)
How about some paid for donation-ware work at the SOH. People pay to have their custom 'picture' 2D panel, some money to you and some to the SOH? (won't be huge money, but may give you a start).
Have you approached the main sim producers in the commercial world? (unfortunately a lot of FSXers use the VC, so 2D is not so well thought of. Unless you're an FS2004 or CFS2-er)

Have you built a fully functioning 2D panel? It's not that hard with freebie progs like Cfgedit or cheap Abacus CustomPanelDesigner, and others. It would slow you down in production but it's not that bigger step, the hard part is painting the panel, which you do so well.

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
June 6th, 2013, 11:08
Gaucho,
I take it you want a partner to turn your 'picture' 2D panels into gauge fitted and working panels?

I've got to admit this is one of the best places to advertise your work.

A few thoughts, ideas.
Have you approached any of the well know modellers here at the SOH to see if you could team or input to their work? (higher profile on the back of a SOH freebie)
How about some paid for donation-ware work at the SOH. People pay to have their custom 'picture' 2D panel, some money to you and some to the SOH? (won't be huge money, but may give you a start).
Have you approached the main sim producers in the commercial world? (unfortunately a lot of FSXers use the VC, so 2D is not so well thought of. Unless you're an FS2004 or CFS2-er)

Have you built a fully functioning 2D panel? It's not that hard with freebie progs like Cfgedit or cheap Abacus CustomPanelDesigner, and others. It would slow you down in production but it's not that bigger step, the hard part is painting the panel, which you do so well.

Cheers

Shessi

Yes, I would like to produce some good stuff with someone whose expertise with gauges and panel configurations would do justice to my work....
No, I am not interested in making any money... got plenty of that (I am a retired military officer who used to do anesthesia for a living both in the military and after I retired)....
At almost 76 years of age... money is not really what life is about... health and wisdom are far more important... I own a house in Italy and one here in California both fully paid...
so... in a nutshell... I would like to make a contribution for all those folks who cannot afford payware quality stuff...
I have been using that program config.sys and can do an adequate job with it... but I do not know all the intricacies of mgx (or whatever it is) gauges, etc...
just that I think I can best use my time on what I can do best... artwork... leave the serious stuff to those who know what they are doing....
Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of developers long in knowledge but a bit short on artistry... seem to be on some kind of ego trip... tried doing artwork for two or three guys...
and they redo my work... where it looks very amateurish but suits what they think their panel should be... to little avail...
I did some fantastic textures (modesty aside) for some people and they eventually produced a model they can say: model, textures and etc. by "Joe Blow"... and frankly their stuff looks
like a mediocre copy of what I did... some are in too much of a hurry and do piss poor artwork... At the end of the day (to use a much overused cliche')... they have very fixed ideas and
won't deal with anything that deviates from them... If you follow some of the work I did on another thread (WW2 on CFS2) you know what I mean... produced several very fine versions of
a Devastator panel... and the guy doing the model opted for his own versions that were essentially the same disposition... but much poorer artwork...
What can I say... Did some fine interior work for another SOH project and the same ended up with no interiors (obviously a man of integrity) because he basically fired me off the project due
to minor differences of opinion... I think the model was the loser in terms of no interior views anymore...
Basically, I would like some tekkie type to say... "here is a basic sketch of what I exactly want Ole Man... you just turn it into a believable piece of artwork... when you finish, let me see it and
I tell you what I want changed, etc...." I am extremely flexible... fast and reliable... and can do something over and over till the receiver finds it acceptable...
Now... when someone who cannot wield a brush to save his life tells you "It's all wrong" and does not give you a quick sketch of what they envision... I don't need aggravation...
So... I know someone will eventually take notice of my work... and will pop the question... so to speak..
In the meantime... I really appreciate your comments because they are always precise and germane to the subject... Thank again... and please keep advising me...
Tchuess!

Shessi
June 6th, 2013, 12:37
Gaucho,

I can see and understand your frustration......people can be funny b*ggers at times!

I thought you may mean 'for money' when you mentioned 'payware', so doing it for nichts is good stuff.

And yes if you go down the intricacies of xml gauges it can be difficult, although producing a fully finished simple panel may help, when people can use the panel straight away?

I would really like to help, but like a lot of people, so much to do, so little time...etc etc, but I think you're right, that someone will eventually say yes. Best of luck.

Shessi

gaucho_59
June 6th, 2013, 12:55
Gaucho,

I can see and understand your frustration......people can be funny b*ggers at times!

I thought you may mean 'for money' when you mentioned 'payware', so doing it for nichts is good stuff.

And yes if you go down the intricacies of xml gauges it can be difficult, although producing a fully finished simple panel may help, when people can use the panel straight away?

I would really like to help, but like a lot of people, so much to do, so little time...etc etc, but I think you're right, that someone will eventually say yes. Best of luck.

Shessi

Whereabouts are you in the UK... I will be going to Schweinfurt for a few months in July... and have a friend in RAF Mildenhall (USAF) whom I will visit because it is
really easy to travel Space A on the C-17 weekly runs... If you are not far from there it would lnteresting to meet an SOH acquaintance in person... Again, thanks for your
attention and comments...

Shessi
June 6th, 2013, 13:10
That would be good to have a beer!
That's typical though, I used to live about 50 miles from Mildenhall, but a couple of years ago I moved, and am now about 250+ miles away, so not just down the road, which is a shame.

Well enjoy Schweinfurt, have 'ein bier und wurst' on the SOH :ernae:

Shessi

gaucho_59
June 8th, 2013, 09:10
That would be good to have a beer!
That's typical though, I used to live about 50 miles from Mildenhall, but a couple of years ago I moved, and am now about 250+ miles away, so not just down the road, which is a shame.

Well enjoy Schweinfurt, have 'ein bier und wurst' on the SOH :ernae:

Shessi

Comments welcome....

jinx
June 8th, 2013, 15:20
gaucho,

Your work is outstanding, better than most I have seen as far as panel bitmaps go.

As far as I understand, you are looking for someone to put gauges into the panels. I can do some of this work if want me to help through using FS Panel Studio. I cannot design gauges but I can place the right ones in any panel.

Your problems with people who did not do justice to your work only show that some out there have no sense of decency, respect for others and ability to appreciate work that is better.

I have run into a similar problem with a man who has made some scenery for fs9 and I have gone to great pains to do an updated AI aircraft traffic file for his scenery that is based on recent visits to the airfield his scenery represents. I cannot begin to tell you what nonsense I am getting from him. And he is not capable of making any good ai traffic files himself, esp. as my files will include aircraft I have made repaints of to match the real ones I saw recently at that airfield. He cannot make ANY repaints at all--and that is what my traffic file will include..repaints of the planes I saw flying there, original work done for the first time.

There is nothing much one can do about such people.

gaucho_59
June 8th, 2013, 15:54
gaucho,

Your work is outstanding, better than most I have seen as far as panel bitmaps go.

As far as I understand, you are looking for someone to put gauges into the panels. I can do some of this work if want me to help through using FS Panel Studio. I cannot design gauges but I can place the right ones in any panel.

Your problems with people who did not do justice to your work only show that some out there have no sense of decency, respect for others and ability to appreciate work that is better.

I have run into a similar problem with a man who has made some scenery for fs9 and I have gone to great pains to do an updated AI aircraft traffic file for his scenery that is based on recent visits to the airfield his scenery represents. I cannot begin to tell you what nonsense I am getting from him. And he is not capable of making any good ai traffic files himself, esp. as my files will include aircraft I have made repaints of to match the real ones I saw recently at that airfield. He cannot make ANY repaints at all--and that is what my traffic file will include..repaints of the planes I saw flying there, original work done for the first time.

There is nothing much one can do about such people.

It reminds me of my old days in anesthesia residency... we used to say: "There are those who can do and do it... and then those who can't and teach...."
You try your best and they always find something why it isn't right... :wiggle:
At any rate... I can work the textures of gauges and do almost anything with them... add reflective glass, new faces, etc. and can place them accurately too... but that is about
all I can do (I use config.sys program... similar to the one you mentioned)... What I would like is for someone to do "pop-ups" like a yoke pedestal that can be turned off to see
the gauges behind it and pop back up for "looks".... gauges that do the same, etc.
At any rate, we can try and see if you can produce something relatively good looking and functional... and put them up for those folks who want to used them...
Thanks a lot for the offer...

gaucho_59
June 9th, 2013, 20:49
It reminds me of my old days in anesthesia residency... we used to say: "There are those who can do and do it... and then those who can't and teach...."
You try your best and they always find something why it isn't right... :wiggle:
At any rate... I can work the textures of gauges and do almost anything with them... add reflective glass, new faces, etc. and can place them accurately too... but that is about
all I can do (I use config.sys program... similar to the one you mentioned)... What I would like is for someone to do "pop-ups" like a yoke pedestal that can be turned off to see
the gauges behind it and pop back up for "looks".... gauges that do the same, etc.
At any rate, we can try and see if you can produce something relatively good looking and functional... and put them up for those folks who want to used them...
Thanks a lot for the offer...

A few years ago the Brazilian Da Silva bros came up with a very nice model of the NA AT-6 that however was rather primitive in the textures....
Here is an example of how far one can stretch the possibilities of such a model with a little patience and attention to detail...

Before and after:

gaucho_59
June 12th, 2013, 10:41
A few years ago the Brazilian Da Silva bros came up with a very nice model of the NA AT-6 that however was rather primitive in the textures....
Here is an example of how far one can stretch the possibilities of such a model with a little patience and attention to detail...

Before and after:

After the fine efforts developed lately, I thought I'd give Akemi's Ki 84 panel a
little "touch of magic" so to speak...:wiggle::wiggle::kilroy::running:

gaucho_59
June 13th, 2013, 08:03
After the fine efforts developed lately, I thought I'd give Akemi's Ki 84 panel a
little "touch of magic" so to speak...:wiggle::wiggle::kilroy::running:

Here is the standard CFS2 refurbished...

gaucho_59
June 13th, 2013, 08:59
Here is the standard CFS2 refurbished...

here is an oldie but goodie...

gaucho_59
June 13th, 2013, 12:23
here is an oldie but goodie...

Here's one for the razorback P-47D... had it languishing amongst my abandoned projects...
so I thought I'd finish it up....

gaucho_59
June 15th, 2013, 12:11
Here's one for the razorback P-47D... had it languishing amongst my abandoned projects...
so I thought I'd finish it up....

Comments and constructive criticism welcome...

Shessi
June 15th, 2013, 12:47
Superb as ever G!

I like the mix of photo-real and pictures gauges, the subtle reflections that they have give a little 3D feel. The open cockpit Junkers A20 is particularily good, looks like sun shining in on a great flying day.

Have you picked up the freeware pack of old Alphasim panels, 160 good basic 2D cockpit/bare panels. Maybe good for a bit of panel bashing? If you haven't got them I think they're here, if not let me know.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Shessi

Matt Wynn
June 15th, 2013, 16:37
nicely done buddy!

how's the Profile Artistry going by the way?

gaucho_59
June 15th, 2013, 16:55
nicely done buddy!

panel for a Re 2001 whose profile and repaint I am working on...
Wonderful repaint of that P-51 by the way... did you say something about
it could be adapted to the FSX default one?
If so, could you elaborate how?

Matt Wynn
June 15th, 2013, 17:42
panel for a Re 2001 whose profile and repaint I am working on...
Wonderful repaint of that P-51 by the way... did you say something about
it could be adapted to the FSX default one?
If so, could you elaborate how?

sadly not for the default one over in the dark side.... yet.... but i have 3 of the 4 bases covered... thanks for the compliments regarding the mustang paints, i do have a few in the pipeline, though mostly for the Freeware Warwick Carter P-51D

gaucho_59
June 16th, 2013, 04:21
sadly not for the default one over in the dark side.... yet.... but i have 3 of the 4 bases covered... thanks for the compliments regarding the mustang paints, i do have a few in the pipeline, though mostly for the Freeware Warwick Carter P-51D

Oh, I didn't realize that... I got that one so I am going to download your repaint!:jump::running::salute:

gaucho_59
June 17th, 2013, 15:54
nicely done buddy!

I'll do the textures...

Matt Wynn
June 17th, 2013, 16:50
nice work pal... here's my current work in progress, projected for sale with Classic Air Force in Newquay...

gaucho_59
June 17th, 2013, 17:43
:applause::applause::applause:
nice work pal... here's my current work in progress, projected for sale with Classic Air Force in Newquay...

Are you going to do it as doped fabric aluminum? It's my favorite Dragon Rapide...
Let me see it when you are finished, OK:

gaucho_59
June 19th, 2013, 14:14
:applause::applause::applause:

Are you going to do it as doped fabric aluminum? It's my favorite Dragon Rapide...
Let me see it when you are finished, OK:

You got me inspired with the Dragon Rapide!

Matt Wynn
June 19th, 2013, 14:37
darken your shadows a touch more, it really brings out the depth ;)

but fantastic work, glad to know i'm not the only Profile artist here :salute: one of these days i'll do a livestream as i start a profile, could be a long livestream as i'm known to spend a hundred or more hours just tinkering before adding the details... whoops! :)

gaucho_59
June 19th, 2013, 15:45
darken your shadows a touch more, it really brings out the depth ;)

but fantastic work, glad to know i'm not the only Profile artist here :salute: one of these days i'll do a livestream as i start a profile, could be a long livestream as i'm known to spend a hundred or more hours just tinkering before adding the details... whoops! :)

The original (3,000 x 2,000 at 800 dpi) is overall much richer and darker... lost a lot of detail and clarity on this jpg... keeping downsizes till I get the right size for posting...
Do you know how to upload here at larger than 1024 by 768?...
It won't accept anything bigger than that... but I see other folks uploading much larger pix...

You are right... darkening does bring it out much better

gaucho_59
June 20th, 2013, 19:26
:wavey::running:
The original (3,000 x 2,000 at 800 dpi) is overall much richer and darker... lost a lot of detail and clarity on this jpg... keeping downsizes till I get the right size for posting...
Do you know how to upload here at larger than 1024 by 768?...
It won't accept anything bigger than that... but I see other folks uploading much larger pix...

You are right... darkening does bring it out much better

gaucho_59
June 22nd, 2013, 18:00
:wavey::running:

Getting back to profiles...

Matt Wynn
June 22nd, 2013, 19:13
nicely done pal, just careful you don't overdo things and 'wash out' the colours :salute:

nigel richards
June 23rd, 2013, 10:07
I see a lot of very useful talent on those panels, Gaucho_59. :applause:

Very nice work, Sir!

gaucho_59
June 23rd, 2013, 12:23
I see a lot of very useful talent on those panels, Gaucho_59. :applause:

Very nice work, Sir!

I just keep on trucking... Just got a profile for an aircraft I wish someone developed... I think there is a
CFS2 Boston Paul Defiant... going to check... for it invites some work!:wavey::running::icon_lol:

gaucho_59
June 25th, 2013, 13:28
I just keep on trucking... Just got a profile for an aircraft I wish someone developed... I think there is a
CFS2 Boston Paul Defiant... going to check... for it invites some work!:wavey::running::icon_lol:

If anyone knows where the new Walrus for FSX can be downloaded... please tell me...
itching to do a repaint of it....

gaucho_59
June 27th, 2013, 10:18
If anyone knows where the new Walrus for FSX can be downloaded... please tell me...

Any comments?

kikas
June 27th, 2013, 21:08
There's no new Walrus for fsx, but there is new one for fs2004 :)
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=11783262

gaucho_59
June 28th, 2013, 05:17
There's no new Walrus for fsx, but there is new one for fs2004 :)
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=11783262

Yes, I had downloaded this one and it's where I got the base for my version of the 2D
panel here... I thought someone mentioned an FSX conversion... Matt Wynn is working
on a real jewel and I hope to download it when he finishes it... Thanks again...

gaucho_59
June 28th, 2013, 15:40
:wiggle::running:

gaucho_59
June 30th, 2013, 00:51
:wiggle::running:

Had to repaint the Silva bros "Miss Dallas"... it has a fabulous P-51 2D panel... which,
I really cannot add a single thing!:applause::applause::applause:
The repaint illustrates how much can be done with relatively poor textures... mapping of course is
not the best - the model shows its age ... originally for CFS2

gaucho_59
July 2nd, 2013, 11:47
Had to repaint the Silva bros "Miss Dallas"... it has a fabulous P-51 2D panel... which,
I really cannot add a single thing!:applause::applause::applause:
The repaint illustrates how much can be done with relatively poor textures... mapping of course is
not the best - the model shows its age ... originally for CFS2

This time, I repainted the now very dated P-38 "Glacial Girl", which has a panel with great possibilities, and turned it
into a historically correct "Skylark IV"... with fairly acceptable looks... need to redo this number on a larger textured
model... Does anyone know whether the B-24 guy demirrored the stock CFS2 LIGHTNING?
If it is available... please let me know where I can download it...

gaucho_59
July 2nd, 2013, 15:53
This time, I repainted the now very dated P-38 "Glacial Girl", which has a panel with great possibilities, and turned it
into a historically correct "Skylark IV"... with fairly acceptable looks... need to redo this number on a larger textured
model... Does anyone know whether the B-24 guy demirrored the stock CFS2 LIGHTNING?

I found the B24 Guy's P-38 F and started on a redo of the Skylark IV as well as some other nifty liveries... more to follow...

gaucho_59
July 5th, 2013, 17:56

I redid the Skylark IV using the B-24 Guy's demirrored stock from CS2... and I got what I think a fairly good repaint...
however marred by these unsightly propeller arcs - more like multi-poligons than arcs - I tried using Kelty's wonderful propellers... to no
avail... DOES ANYONE KNOW WHETHER THIS UNSIGHTLY "ARCS" CAN BE CORRECTED???
Please advise if at all possible.... I think the scheme is rather attractive...

gaucho_59
July 13th, 2013, 08:32
I redid the Skylark IV using the B-24 Guy's demirrored stock from CS2... and I got what I think a fairly good repaint...
however marred by these unsightly propeller arcs - more like multi-poligons than arcs - I tried using Kelty's wonderful propellers... to no
avail... DOES ANYONE KNOW WHETHER THIS UNSIGHTLY "ARCS" CAN BE CORRECTED???
Please advise if at all possible.... I think the scheme is rather attractive...

Still looking for a solution to the P-38 propeller arc...
In the meantime... a panel for the IJAF "Nell"...

gaucho_59
July 13th, 2013, 16:47
Still looking for a solution to the P-38 propeller arc...
In the meantime... a panel for the IJAF "Nell"...

Another of my unfinished works... decided to finish it...

Rami
July 13th, 2013, 17:01
Gaucho_59,

If I could humbly make a request, is there any way you would consider making a revised panel for the Savoia-Marchetti Sm-84 torpedo bomber?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=150&id=16239

"CFS2 SIAI Marchetti SM.84. In 1940, the Regia Aeronautica received a new addition to its bomber force, the SM.84, that was designed to replace the SM.79, but which never succeeded in equaling the performance of its illustrious predecessor. This was principally due to its lack of maneuverability, making it anything but ideal in the role of torpedo-bomber, and due to the general lack of reliability of its Piaggio P.XI engines. The model is made by William Dickens The airfile and dp are by Pedro Paulo Rezende (Peperez) The panel .bmp is by Phil Perrot (from the Alphasim Collection). 1.3MB"

gaucho_59
July 13th, 2013, 20:56
Gaucho_59,

If I could humbly make a request, is there any way you would consider making a revised panel for the Savoia-Marchetti Sm-84 torpedo bomber?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=150&id=16239

"CFS2 SIAI Marchetti SM.84. In 1940, the Regia Aeronautica received a new addition to its bomber force, the SM.84, that was designed to replace the SM.79, but which never succeeded in equaling the performance of its illustrious predecessor. This was principally due to its lack of maneuverability, making it anything but ideal in the role of torpedo-bomber, and due to the general lack of reliability of its Piaggio P.XI engines. The model is made by William Dickens The airfile and dp are by Pedro Paulo Rezende (Peperez) The panel .bmp is by Phil Perrot (from the Alphasim Collection). 1.3MB"

No problem... I am not sure, but I think I might have done it already... need to check my unfinished projects...
If a all possible, and to be exact... why don't you PM me so we can establish a file exchange medium through email....
I will certainly be more than happy to oblige...

gaucho_59
July 14th, 2013, 06:11
No problem... I am not sure, but I think I might have done it already... need to check my unfinished projects...
If a all possible, and to be exact... why don't you PM me so we can establish a file exchange medium through email....
I will certainly be more than happy to oblige...

I did not have an unfinished project on it... but I got a hold of an old blurry photograph of the actual panel...
and it is coming out rather well... working on 800 dpi and very large canvas so it can be cropped to whatever
size and position suits you...
Should be done in a fairly short time...

gaucho_59
July 15th, 2013, 06:15
I did not have an unfinished project on it... but I got a hold of an old blurry photograph of the actual panel...
and it is coming out rather well... working on 800 dpi and very large canvas so it can be cropped to whatever
size and position suits you...
Should be done in a fairly short time...

So you get an idea... still very much a work in progress subject to whatever mods you might envision...
Please let me know what you think so as to guide my work....
Like I said... the actual canvas is much larger and detailed... but I don't know how to
post it in a larger size... this forum only accepts 1024x 768...
If you know of a way to post it larger kindly let me know...
BTW... In my haste I just realized the is asymmetry on the lightening holes... but that can easily be corrected...

A risentirci... if not arrivederci... :wiggle:

Here, I corrected the asymmetry...

Shessi
July 15th, 2013, 08:45
Very nice Gaucho..as always, really nice subtle work.

I particularily like the control-wheels soft shadows, a good touch of realism.

And a great start for a working 2D panel.

Shessi

gaucho_59
July 15th, 2013, 13:10
Very nice Gaucho..as always, really nice subtle work.

I particularily like the control-wheels soft shadows, a good touch of realism.

And a great start for a working 2D panel.

Shessi

Did you see my call for help with the problem of the CFS2 propeller arc?
If you know of any way to solve it... please let me know...

Shessi
July 15th, 2013, 15:50
TBH I did take a look and then had a brain-wave! This is an original CFS2 ac, and surprisingly M$ instead of putting the prop texture in each of the ac texture folders they put it in the main sim 'Texture' folder, as with FS9. So when this was uploaded, B24G didn't realise and put the prop tex in with it. The tex you want is 'prop_us.bmp', see attached for a good choice, this is on a standard P38, I just hope the during the P38 de-mirroring process B24G didn't change anything.

Shessi

p.s I've got to admit there are plenty better P38s out there to get your brush stuck into! ;)

gaucho_59
July 15th, 2013, 19:29
TBH I did take a look and then had a brain-wave! This is an original CFS2 ac, and surprisingly M$ instead of putting the prop texture in each of the ac texture folders they put it in the main sim 'Texture' folder, as with FS9. So when this was uploaded, B24G didn't realise and put the prop tex in with it. The tex you want is 'prop_us.bmp', see attached for a good choice, this is on a standard P38, I just hope the during the P38 de-mirroring process B24G didn't change anything.

Shessi

p.s I've got to admit there are plenty better P38s out there to get your brush stuck into! ;)

Thanks a lot... I got to try it... just put it in the texture folder, eh?

gaucho_59
July 15th, 2013, 19:32

Shessi

You are right... except that the others... I redid Shipley's... have such small textures... that it's hard to super detail them...
I guess I should get a payware one... there are so many beautiful liveries... especially the one I have been working on...
I posted a pic of it in flight... before the CFS2 one... Indeed this one shows its age in terms of the model mappings...

gaucho_59
July 16th, 2013, 23:52
You are right... except that the others... I redid Shipley's... have such small textures... that it's hard to super detail them...
I guess I should get a payware one... there are so many beautiful liveries... especially the one I have been working on...
I posted a pic of it in flight... before the CFS2 one... Indeed this one shows its age in terms of the model mappings...

I took the liberty of, what I think, improving the looks of the very nice computer rendition in Morton's 262... adding finer details to make it more "life-like"
such as transparencies, shadows, reshaping those "squarish" and sometimes disjointed pieces put in by computer animation...
In other words... make it look more like "man-made" as opposed to 3D machine renderings...
Even on many payware models... especially VCs... suffer from portions that do not follow perspective or superimpose structures unlike nature does....

gaucho_59
July 17th, 2013, 08:19
So you get an idea... still very much a work in progress subject to whatever mods you might envision...
Please let me know what you think so as to guide my work....
Like I said... the actual canvas is much larger and detailed... but I don't know how to
post it in a larger size... this forum only accepts 1024x 768...
If you know of a way to post it larger kindly let me know...
BTW... In my haste I just realized the is asymmetry on the lightening holes... but that can easily be corrected...

A risentirci... if not arrivederci... :wiggle:

Here, I corrected the asymmetry...

I have added details and overall correction... so the panel is finished... just let me know what you want to do with it...

gaucho_59
July 18th, 2013, 10:32
I have added details and overall correction... so the panel is finished... just let me know what you want to do with it...

This excellent panel by Morton, I think, is another one that can be upgraded by just a few corrections of perspective on the birdcage bolts and addition of some
finer details... in all... it comes out rather pleasant looking...
If Morton takes a look here... here is my question... what 3D program you use to produce these panels?... Is there any way to correct the perspective and shape of
the details?

gaucho_59
July 22nd, 2013, 13:06
This excellent panel by Morton, I think, is another one that can be upgraded by just a few corrections of perspective on the birdcage bolts and addition of some
finer details... in all... it comes out rather pleasant looking...
If Morton takes a look here... here is my question... what 3D program you use to produce these panels?... Is there any way to correct the perspective and shape of
the details?

Hey Shessy... I thought I'd do something with the panel in your Wellington redo...
If you want to use it... just let me know... it can be changed to suit any instrument set up...
instruments can be moved, deleted or added...

gaucho_59
July 23rd, 2013, 19:15
Hey Shessy... I thought I'd do something with the panel in your Wellington redo...
If you want to use it... just let me know... it can be changed to suit any instrument set up...
instruments can be moved, deleted or added...

I think this is much better... faithful almost to a T in the photograph I got in the 'net...

Shessi
July 23rd, 2013, 22:46
WOW!

G,
That's fantastic, no, superb!! :applause:

I expect you used this photo or similar. One thing just to be aware of that this is the cockpit of the RAF museum at Hendon, London. This aircraft is a modified T10 trainer version of the late 40's early 50's, and so the cockpit has been over painted in a lighter grey colour, with the WWII black beneath. I know the black would become worn, faded and dirty, but would be much darker than that. If you take a closer look you can see the black beneath especially on the control column, window frame edges and seat etc, where the grey has worn off. Just a minor point though.

Really looking forward to this.

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
July 24th, 2013, 08:18
WOW!

G,

I expect you used this photo or similar. One thing just to be aware of that this is the cockpit of the RAF museum at Hendon, London. This aircraft is a modified T10 trainer version of the late 40's early 50's, and so the cockpit has been over painted in a lighter grey colour, with the WWII black beneath. I know the black would become worn, faded and dirty, but would be much darker than that. If you take a closer look you can see the black beneath especially on the control column, window frame edges and seat etc, where the grey has worn off. Just a minor point though.

Cheers

Shessi

de Bressy posted some very nice textures with a lot of promise for refinement...
Started with the panel and will work on the textures for some realistic doped fabric
finish...

gaucho_59
July 24th, 2013, 20:31
de Bressy posted some very nice textures with a lot of promise for refinement...
Started with the panel and will work on the textures for some realistic doped fabric
finish...

Simple but efficient... :wiggle::salute:

gaucho_59
July 26th, 2013, 14:55
WOW!

G,

Cheers

Shessi

Does anyone by any chance know where these items are mapped on the Norseman....
I am doing a repaint and these items stick out like a sore thumb!
Any response will be appreciated...

gaucho_59
July 28th, 2013, 12:33
Does anyone by any chance know where these items are mapped on the Norseman....
I am doing a repaint and these items stick out like a sore thumb!
Any response will be appreciated...

got the mapping solved with a little help from... darn it! can't think of the name just now... but thanks a bunch...
Here's a very interesting livery from the Norwegian Air Force..

gaucho_59
July 31st, 2013, 09:14
got the mapping solved with a little help from... darn it! can't think of the name just now... but thanks a bunch...
Here's a very interesting livery from the Norwegian Air Force..

Just finished this gunsight... As usual, available for the asking...

gaucho_59
July 31st, 2013, 13:03
Just finished this gunsight... As usual, available for the asking...

Here's another addition to more realistic looking gunsights

gaucho_59
July 31st, 2013, 14:45
Gaucho_59,

Guru Rami,

I complied with your request and never heard again from you!!!
It took a little effort and time I could have spent elsewhere... I don't
think it too nice... you could at least responded to me here or by PM...it is not nice to make folks waste their time... had some other fellow in
Germany ask for my artwork... and after I complied... and sent him proofs... I never heard from him again...

gaucho_59
July 31st, 2013, 17:33
Here's another addition to more realistic looking gunsights

Just finished another panel that was in the shed... started and never finished...

gaucho_59
August 5th, 2013, 09:23
Just finished another panel that was in the shed... started and never finished...

Something to enhance the experience with the SIAI Ambrossini... working on the textures also...

Shessi
August 5th, 2013, 10:48
Hi G,
Duck panel is a real beauty....and what's that I see, some working buttons maybe?!! :icon_lol:

How's the Wellington panel coming along?

Now, I've got some other projects on the go (which will take some time to come to posting), and would really appreciate a few decent panels to start working with? If you're up for it, please consider a Heinkel He115 panel.......

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 5th, 2013, 15:03
Hi G,
Duck panel is a real beauty....and what's that I see, some working buttons maybe?!! :icon_lol:

Now, I've got some other projects on the go (which will take some time to come to posting), and would really appreciate a few decent panels to start working with? If you're up for it, please consider a Heinkel He115 panel.......

Cheers

Shessi

I will certainly look into this...
I just finished one for the Yokosuka Suisei torpedo bomber...

gaucho_59
August 5th, 2013, 18:05
Hi G,

Cheers

Shessi

Here it is... it is big enough to allow for any cropping necessary in the event it is used...

Shessi
August 6th, 2013, 01:07
Yes, a good start.
The problem is that the only good pics of the internals of the He115 are in the aircraft/pilots manual, and they are expensive to buy! Here are some that I have managed to pick up. The main thing was that the pilot sat on his seat which, with the panel, was suspended above a crawl way underneath, as you can see in the attached pics. With an odd looking control column in the form of a curved 'w'. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 6th, 2013, 04:21
Yes, a good start.
The problem is that the only good pics of the internals of the He115 are in the aircraft/pilots manual, and they are expensive to buy! Here are some that I have managed to pick up. The main thing was that the pilot sat on his seat which, with the panel, was suspended above a crawl way underneath, as you can see in the attached pics. With an odd looking control column in the form of a curved 'w'. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Shessi

I will use this... thanks a lot Shessi!
Interesting to note that the picture I used as reference is a little different set up...
Probably an early Mk...
Again, thanks and Cheers...
Carlos

Rami
August 6th, 2013, 05:01
Gaucho_59,

Once again, Mea Culpa on not following this, and on forgetting about the Martin Baltimore. (Post #86) I feel really awful about asking for a panel and then having it slip my memory banks so I didn't say thank you when you completed and posted it, so allow me to say thank you now.

Among my favorites in all of the WWII panels (all of which are outstanding, so this is hard to narrow it down) are the...

Grumman Hellcat
Messerchmitt Bf-109
Hawker Hurricane
Bristol Blenheim
Martin Baltimore
Bristol Beaufighter
Douglas A-20 Havoc
Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate
Messerschmitt Bf-109
Grumman Wildcat
Lockheed P-38 Lightning
Henschel Hs-129
Messerschmitt Me-262
Thanks for all of your outstanding effort, you've really got a good thing going here! :ernae:

gaucho_59
August 6th, 2013, 05:35
Gaucho_59,

Once again, Mea Culpa on not following this, and on forgetting about the Martin Baltimore. (Post #86) I feel really awful about asking for a panel and then having it slip my memory banks so I didn't say thank you when you completed and posted it, so allow me to say thank you now.

Among my favorites in all of the WWII panels (all of which are outstanding, so this is hard to narrow it down) are the...

Grumman Hellcat
Messerchmitt Bf-109
Hawker Hurricane
Bristol Blenheim
Martin Baltimore
Bristol Beaufighter
Douglas A-20 Havoc
Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate
Messerschmitt Bf-109
Grumman Wildcat
Lockheed P-38 Lightning
Henschel Hs-129
Messerschmitt Me-262
Thanks for all of your outstanding effort, you've really got a good thing going here! :ernae:

You better get rid of those kids... lol....
Still off the mark... :wiggle::wiggle: I am referring to the SM82 panel request... the Baltimore is long
dead and done... :mixedsmi::mixedsmi::mixedsm (obviously not suited for whoever's purposes)

Your "humble request" was for redoing the ad hoc obviously British panel adjunct to the model...
Check it out and give me your suggestions or wishes...
Happy trails... (but get rid of those kids... give them up for adoption to a good home... they are killing you...:isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy:

gaucho_59
August 6th, 2013, 10:40
I will use this... thanks a lot Shessi!
Interesting to note that the picture I used as reference is a little different set up...
Probably an early Mk...
Again, thanks and Cheers...
Carlos

Added the yoke and it looks nice but it is pure eye candy... will have to be a pop-up
because it obscures some instruments bezels...
on the stowed position it would be illogical... in flight... :isadizzy:

Shessi
August 6th, 2013, 14:31
Getting there G!

Yes, I see what you say about the yolk. And a pop one would make sense, I also think it needs to be quite a bit bigger as well, as it will be pop-up then it doesn't matter if it is bigger.

The other thing is that the footpedals would not be visible and so would create a see through hole underneath the panel, looking into the nose area. If you see the shape of the panel in pic3 of my previous post, you alos see the hole/gap.

Thanks

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 6th, 2013, 16:46
Getting there G!

Yes, I see what you say about the yolk. And a pop one would make sense, I also think it needs to be quite a bit bigger as well, as it will be pop-up then it doesn't matter if it is bigger.

The other thing is that the footpedals would not be visible and so would create a see through hole underneath the panel, looking into the nose area. If you see the shape of the panel in pic3 of my previous post, you alos see the hole/gap.

Thanks

Shessi

The picture that is a drawing is way out of proportion... if you notice in the photo, the yoke is rather small... as a matter of fact in the stowed position
does not occupy much space... as to the rudder pedals...in the picture I used as a template... they do show... and the crawl space is rather dark and
not very discernible... (probably because it is a flash picture and the faraway surfaces do not reflect much... and the foregrown.. actually too much reflected light...that's why in this last WIP picture I am
enclosing... I toned down the panel area and put drop shadows in...
Let me know what you think... your criticism is ALWAY constructive and on the mark...

As the Germans say... Tschuess... for now...

gaucho_59
August 7th, 2013, 08:04
The picture that is a drawing is way out of proportion... if you notice in the photo, the yoke is rather small... as a matter of fact in the stowed position
does not occupy much space... as to the rudder pedals...in the picture I used as a template... they do show... and the crawl space is rather dark and
not very discernible... (probably because it is a flash picture and the faraway surfaces do not reflect much... and the foregrown.. actually too much reflected light...that's why in this last WIP picture I am
enclosing... I toned down the panel area and put drop shadows in...
Let me know what you think... your criticism is ALWAY constructive and on the mark...

As the Germans say... Tschuess... for now...

This how far I got last nite... I think it is taking shape now... blending shadows, adding small stuff...

Shessi
August 7th, 2013, 08:48
Hi G,
I really hate to do this to you BUT the cockpit you're making/using is from an He112 and not an He115. I thought it was strange that it was quite a bit different??

I only discovered it by hovering over your posted photo of the cockpit which is showing up as He112, I just checked and it IS an He112 and not an He115.

Sorry about that, after all the effort, but not wasted as you can remove the 'W' control yolk and you have a fine He112 cockpit!

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 7th, 2013, 08:56
Hi G,
I really hate to do this to you BUT the cockpit you're making/using is from an He112 and not an He115. I thought it was strange that it was quite a bit different??

I only discovered it by hovering over your posted photo of the cockpit which is showing up as He112, I just checked and it IS an He112 and not an He115.

Sorry about that, after all the effort, but not wasted as you can remove the 'W' control yolk and you have a fine He112 cockpit!

Cheers

Shessi

Indeed... it is an He 112... and that IS what I was doing all along... I guess I read your post wrong... and thought you were looking for
a 12... sorry about that... at any rate... I can do a 15... es mach nichts.. like GIs say... mox-nix
No problem... will get on a 115 right away... they appear fairly similar... I think I might have a usable photo of the 115...

Shessi
August 7th, 2013, 11:11
Ha ha ha!

Good job we're still not in a 'Cold War' situation...at a missile silo.....both holding keys!!! :icon_eek:.....:icon_lol:

Please, no problem at all, no rush as the He115 project is coming along nicely but still to do the VC etc.

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 7th, 2013, 13:32
Ha ha ha!

Good job we're still not in a 'Cold War' situation...at a missile silo.....both holding keys!!! :icon_eek:.....:icon_lol:

Please, no problem at all, no rush as the He115 project is coming along nicely but still to do the VC etc.

Cheers

Shessi

It would be interesting to do the VC textures to match the 2D panel.... I already started on the 115 panel... already did the
outermost panel... working on the background... need to see a pic of the "greenhouse" canopy disposition... and that
famous tunnel... maybe I can work from that gmax like texture amongst the ones you gave me...
by tomorrow I should have a pretty decent WIP pic...

gaucho_59
August 7th, 2013, 17:21
Ha ha ha!

Cheers

Shessi

This is how far I have gone today... managed to hum a few bars in the dark about the tunnel...

gaucho_59
August 8th, 2013, 09:11
This is how far I have gone today... managed to hum a few bars in the dark about the tunnel...

Just a few details left now... After all, the yoke can stay.. does not interfere with any gauges...

Shessi
August 8th, 2013, 14:07
G, that is fantastic! :applause:

A really great start. TBH I don't think the pilot would be able to see any of the the nose window or outside the ac through this tunnel, which is a shame. A bit of artistic licence is no problem though. A couple of things. That grey ribbed floor at the pilots feet looks like it is more vertical than horizontal, as it should be. I know the pics don't do justice, so it's hard to work out. If you could lower that and maybe use your shade and light effects to simulate light coming into the pilots feet area from the windows?

The panel iself is spot on, and I'm glad the yolk can stay as it's quite a feature, being that odd 'W' shape. One interesting bit of info is the IL2 Cliffs of Dover flightsim, it has an He115 in it and this Youtube video has a walk through of the ac...take a look as it will help to understand the lay out of the cockpit and nose area. Here's the link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l9AcJQ4zwg

I'd like to show you some VC, but I'm doing so many other things. And if you can get the 2D panel as close to what it should be, then I'll model the 3D VC to look like that.

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 8th, 2013, 15:42

A really great start. TBH I don't think the pilot would be able to see any of the the nose window or outside the ac through this tunnel, which is a shame. A bit of artistic licence is no problem though. A couple of things. That grey ribbed floor at the pilots feet looks like it is more vertical than horizontal, as it should be. I know the pics don't do justice, so it's hard to work out. If you could lower that and maybe use your shade and light effects to simulate light coming into the pilots feet area from the windows?

The panel iself is spot on, and I'm glad the yolk can stay as it's quite a feature, being that odd 'W' shape. One interesting bit of info is the IL2 Cliffs of Dover flightsim, it has an He115 in it and this Youtube video has a walk through of the ac...take a look as it will help to understand the lay out of the cockpit and nose area. Here's the link....

I'd like to show you some VC, but I'm doing so many other things. And if you can get the 2D panel as close to what it should be, then I'll model the 3D VC to look like that.

Cheers

Shessi

Saw the video... and it helps some... Indeed the steel ribbed deck needs to be in a latter vanishing point perspective...
Notwithstanding... videos perspective are usually exaggerated and unreal... First observation: the viewpoint in my panel
is not really from the pilots eye but rather from behind his shoulders.. so yes.. the nose cone is visible... as you can see
in a couple of the views from the video.... this is OK... Notwithstanding... here is a vexing view... number 2 in effect shows
an open space or window on the deck??? Flattening the view of the pilot's deck will actually show more of the nose cone...
and in the foreground beyond it... will probably simulate the canvas "cot" that is the bombardier's perch... I think it will
add rather than detract from the "realistc" view... and yes, light can be simulated from directly above by playing with shadows...

gaucho_59
August 8th, 2013, 19:24

Cheers

Shessi

Did some quick rearranging... How's this?

Shessi
August 9th, 2013, 14:38
Looking better and better.

As you were doing all the work, I thought I had better get my finger out! So started the VC, still very rough but I thought it would give an impression as to how it will look. I used your panel pic re-touched to RLM66 dark blue grey.

I think your artistic take on it is very good. I think in reality the pilot would see very little further than his feet, but that would be uninteresting considering all that detail in the nose! So a half-way house seems like a good compromise. And I like the light/shadow in the nose area, gives it depth. You have a real tallent for that!
The problem is the camera viewing angles, in 2D it is just showing a 2D flat image, but with the VC Fs9 uses a fish-eye lens to see more of the cockpit with depth. So they are never going to look exactly the same.

As for the glass panel, the nose did have various viewing panels that could be exposed for the nose crewman and the pilot, especially when torpedo dropping. I don't know if a see-through glass panel would be good or not, I think it might detract?

I hope you don't mind as I've played around with your last posted pic, very rough, but with a few tweaks IMHO that fit.

1) The panel would be straight at the sides, not waisted.

2) I've moved over the RH rudder pedal to amore natural position

3) I've enlarged (X1.5) the yolk, I know it's difficult to see with the pics as they are from different angles and distance, but considering it is more in the foreground than the dials on the panel, it should be a lot bigger (and horizontal). I know it blocks some of the forward view, but maybe make it pop-up? Also that odd thing that is on top of the yolk, it may be a clock and can be folded away, as I've not seen it on other pics.

4) I've increased the area of the canvas/leather pad, whilst reducing the walk-way section.

5) The leather straps on the rudder pedals, and possibly the nose crewmans cushion would be dark brown leather (have modelled it as a dark brown leather on the external model.

And the whole cockpit, panel, walk-way, floor would be a RLM66 dark blue/grey colour or as the inside of the window framing you have.

As I said, no critism intended, just ideas.

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 9th, 2013, 14:51
Looking better and better.

As you were doing all the work, I thought I had better get my finger out! So started the VC, still very rough but I thought it would give an impression as to how it will look. I used your panel pic re-touched to RLM66 dark blue grey.

I think your artistic take on it is very good. I think in reality the pilot would see very little further than his feet, but that would be uninteresting considering all that detail in the nose! So a half-way house seems like a good compromise. And I like the light/shadow in the nose area, gives it depth. You have a real tallent for that!
The problem is the camera viewing angles, in 2D it is just showing a 2D flat image, but with the VC Fs9 uses a fish-eye lens to see more of the cockpit with depth. So they are never going to look exactly the same.

As for the glass panel, the nose did have various viewing panels that could be exposed for the nose crewman and the pilot, especially when torpedo dropping. I don't know if a see-through glass panel would be good or not, I think it might detract?

I hope you don't mind as I've played around with your last posted pic, very rough, but with a few tweaks IMHO that fit.

1) The panel would be straight at the sides, not waisted.

2) I've moved over the RH rudder pedal to amore natural position

3) I've enlarged (X1.5) the yolk, I know it's difficult to see with the pics as they are from different angles and distance, but considering it is more in the foreground than the dials on the panel, it should be a lot bigger (and horizontal). I know it blocks some of the forward view, but maybe make it pop-up? Also that odd thing that is on top of the yolk, it may be a clock and can be folded away, as I've not seen it on other pics.

4) I've increased the area of the canvas/leather pad, whilst reducing the walk-way section.

5) The leather straps on the rudder pedals, and possibly the nose crewmans cushion would be dark brown leather (have modelled it as a dark brown leather on the external model.

And the whole cockpit, panel, walk-way, floor would be a RLM66 dark blue/grey colour or as the inside of the window framing you have.

As I said, no critism intended, just ideas.

Cheers

Shessi

Nice beginning work... by the way and pardon my ignorance... but what does IMHO mean????

Shessi
August 9th, 2013, 15:45
Most people here don't use text speak, neither do I, there are many, but a couple are quick and saves typing..IMHO = In My Honest Opinion, another is IIRC..If I Remember Correctly.....

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 9th, 2013, 16:04
Most people here don't use text speak, neither do I, there are many, but a couple are quick and saves typing..IMHO = In My Honest Opinion, another is IIRC..If I Remember Correctly.....

Cheers

Shessi

I don't text at all... so I am not familiar with those shortcuts... interestingly enough... we are finding here in the US that
the young people text so much they forget how to spell... :mixedsmi::icon_lol::wiggle:

gaucho_59
August 10th, 2013, 05:07

Cheers

Shessi

Studying a little more the photos you sent me... I am beginning to see that the 2D panel needs to be redone...
there are some glaring discrepancies... with the photo..

gaucho_59
August 10th, 2013, 10:23
Studying a little more the photos you sent me... I am beginning to see that the 2D panel needs to be redone...
there are some glaring discrepancies... with the photo..

Studying the photo more closely... it really seems as though there really isn't any deck showing...
It is extremely hard to work from such a poor photo... but I am slowly figuring what is what...
Here is my latest corrected image...
I think this is really very close to the real thing now...
The yoke should be a little larger but not too much... will work on that next...
I actually should be higher too... and unfortunately cover some of the panel
then again.. it could remain as is... go to try different approaches...

need to get rid of the nose showing over the windscreen... that will also make it look more in tune with the view...
Indeed it should not show at all...
Ta ta for now

Shessi
August 10th, 2013, 11:56
Does look better....less cluttered.

Yes it is a shame that there are no clear photos of the cockpit area. As I said I was tempted to get the aircraft and pilots manual, but it is some £45/$63, not just a few quid and only for this project!

Please re-consider the size of the yolk. If you think that a large instrument dial is some 4" across, then using the dials on your panel in comparison to one side of the 'W' yolk, the yolk is only 4-5" wide, the whole yolk would only be 8-10" across, much too small, where is should be in the 16"-18" size, so the pilot could get enough leverage. If it gets in the way I can make it pop-up when I fit the gauges etc.

Here is a pic from the the other direction, the pilot would actually see some of the slatted walk-way before the observers pad, so personally I think how you had it before is a little closer.

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 10th, 2013, 16:58
Does look better....less cluttered.

Yes it is a shame that there are no clear photos of the cockpit area. As I said I was tempted to get the aircraft and pilots manual, but it is some £45/$63, not just a few quid and only for this project!

Please re-consider the size of the yolk. If you think that a large instrument dial is some 4" across, then using the dials on your panel in comparison to one side of the 'W' yolk, the yolk is only 4-5" wide, the whole yolk would only be 8-10" across, much too small, where is should be in the 16"-18" size, so the pilot could get enough leverage. If it gets in the way I can make it pop-up when I fit the gauges etc.

Here is a pic from the the other direction, the pilot would actually see some of the slatted walk-way before the observers pad, so personally I think how you had it before is a little closer.

Cheers

Shessi

The slatted crawlway can be reinstated... perhaps a little less of it showing that I had it before.... no problem.... will increase the size of the yoke... actually, it is clear enough
on the photo... to get it exactly in the right proportions because it also shows the gauges to advantage... and use your idea about sizing it should work fine... probably four
gauge diameters wide or so... will experiment to get it the right size...
might even incorporate a decent crew member supine too... obviously his feet would not show... probably something like just above the hips...

Shessi
August 10th, 2013, 19:29
G,
Would you mind a couple of small things:-

Make the inside edges of the panel straight not curved in the slight 'S' shape you have, I know it might look like that in some pics, but it is straight down with a curved corner.

Overall a much darker colour. Luftwaffe interiors were, very early war RLM02 (a creamy yellow grey) and then all became RLM66 dark blue grey, which would get chipped and a little worn but would not get weathered, so little fading and keeping the dark shade. Here is a pic of a Ju88, even with the photo flash, you can see the colour.

Also I've found a couple of pics showing the control yolk in action, one shows a hand on the yolk. It's not that big but is in that 14-18" size. And they both show that clock/stop watch on top of the yolk, so it is there and an operational item.

Thanks

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 10th, 2013, 21:21
G,
Would you mind a couple of small things:-

Make the inside edges of the panel straight not curved in the slight 'S' shape you have, I know it might look like that in some pics, but it is straight down with a curved corner.

Overall a much darker colour. Luftwaffe interiors were, very early war RLM02 (a creamy yellow grey) and then all became RLM66 dark blue grey, which would get chipped and a little worn but would not get weathered, so little fading and keeping the dark shade. Here is a pic of a Ju88, even with the photo flash, you can see the colour.

Also I've found a couple of pics showing the control yolk in action, one shows a hand on the yolk. It's not that big but is in that 14-18" size. And they both show that clock/stop watch on top of the yolk, so it is there and an operational item.

Thanks

Shessi

I am afraid I am in for a complete redo...hahahaha Wish you had sent that picture at the beginning!
It's a great thing nonetheless... working from this fine photo... the redo is going to come out really, really nice!!!
it's got the right colors, first and foremost...
This one has a sort of pinking sheared edge on the left side... different from the left... very remarkable detail to take in...
It is different from the b&w photos... which indicates there were more than one style or shape of instrument panels...
Excellent resource... to save time.. .I think that I will incorporate those things into the present study... rather than start
from scratch... don't know... I'll figure something out...

Oh, oh... I was in too much of a hurry... THIS IS MORE LIKE SOME Mk of a Ju-88 or something like it... it is just for the colors...
I see.. realized it when I looked at the joystick... and upon further perusal... the greenhouse glassed nose... mmm too bad
would have liked to change the shape of the panel... at any rate... it is good for the colors... back to the drawing board...
Will change the edge as per your instructions...

Shessi
August 11th, 2013, 00:40
Ha ha!...I thought the same when I came across it, but realised there are no He115 in this condition out there (at the moment), and then read it was a Ju88A4. As you say it was the colour I wanted to show you.

It's strange as this was the Luftwaffe's best torpedo bomber, used from 1939-1943-44 and in the Battle of Britain, a well known ac, and yet there are very few, if any, pics of the inside or instrument panel...only if you have the manual.

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 11th, 2013, 07:17
Ha ha!...I thought the same when I came across it, but realised there are no He115 in this condition out there (at the moment), and then read it was a Ju88A4. As you say it was the colour I wanted to show you.

It's strange as this was the Luftwaffe's best torpedo bomber, used from 1939-1943-44 and in the Battle of Britain, a well known ac, and yet there are very few, if any, pics of the inside or instrument panel...only if you have the manual.

Cheers

Shessi

Hope this is in keeping with your suggestions... I am fast approaching the limits of my re-doing skills... lol

gaucho_59
August 12th, 2013, 04:17
Hope this is in keeping with your suggestions... I am fast approaching the limits of my re-doing skills... lol

I forgot to eliminate the windshield area where the nose showed erroneously...
and changed the volume of the handholds...

Shessi
August 12th, 2013, 09:33
Great work there G,
The overall colour is much better, the loss of the nose in the windscreen is much better, the bigger yolk is just about right and the stop-watch looks good as well.

And yes you must be fed up with keep going on!

Saying that! (don't laugh), could I ask a couple of minor things.
Would you make the rudder straps and the front observer pad either a dark brown leather or dark grey. These would not have been canvas and it's a bit too greenish/yellow.

And the ammo feed for the nose gun would not be belt-fed but an ammo magazine as below, would mind either removing the ammo belt or replace it with a magazine if possible?

I really appreciate what you've done, I could not do it, and I look forward to putting it with the finished He115...sometime in the future. Thanks.

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 12th, 2013, 13:21
Great work there G,
The overall colour is much better, the loss of the nose in the windscreen is much better, the bigger yolk is just about right and the stop-watch looks good as well.

Would you make the rudder straps and the front observer pad either a dark brown leather or dark grey. These would not have been canvas and it's a bit too greenish/yellow.

And the ammo feed for the nose gun would not be belt-fed but an ammo magazine as below, would mind either removing the ammo belt or replace it with a magazine if possible?

I really appreciate what you've done, I could not do it, and I look forward to putting it with the finished He115...sometime in the future. Thanks.

Cheers

Shessi

Apparently, it is an aircraft version of the MG38 OR MG42... can do...
will post the changes on next installment...

gaucho_59
August 12th, 2013, 15:23
Great work there G,

Cheers

Shessi

Hope this gets closer to what you seek... Must tell you a little secret... I am partially color blind... so sometimes I get confused with colors...
I usually recur to chips to get some colors...

Shessi
August 12th, 2013, 15:55
Well G that's on the money for me (like the MG magazine in the nose).

A huge thanks for the all time and effort, as I said before, much appreciated.

And I think I'll fit out the panel with gauges etc, doing something different, and hopefully do it justice!

Is the posted panel picture the best quality for the panel or?

:ernae:

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 12th, 2013, 17:12
Well G that's on the money for me (like the MG magazine in the nose).

A huge thanks for the all time and effort, as I said before, much appreciated.

And I think I'll fit out the panel with gauges etc, doing something different, and hopefully do it justice!

Is the posted panel picture the best quality for the panel or?

:ernae:

Shessi

Will add some refinements... you need to tell me the measurements you want to use...
I will have to extrapolate everything to the original... which is larger and high DPI...
then see about the resolution you want to use... for optimal frame rates, etc.
I am pretty happy with the results so far... especially the drum magazines... that was an excellent suggestion...
When you get the VC textures done... we can see about making them match...

gaucho_59
August 13th, 2013, 12:41
Will add some refinements... you need to tell me the measurements you want to use...
I will have to extrapolate everything to the original... which is larger and high DPI...
then see about the resolution you want to use... for optimal frame rates, etc.
I am pretty happy with the results so far... especially the drum magazines... that was an excellent suggestion...
When you get the VC textures done... we can see about making them match...

This is the last one... at top dpi and colors... Best format will be extended BMP or DDS.. because straight bmp take
a lot of space... and 256 colors does not do justice to the details...
If you know what gauges you want to use... and they have "built-ins" like screws.. I can re-do the textures to eliminate
things like screws... or "dirty" black spots that become transparent... also I can add lenses with reflections to them...
(like reflection of light through the greenhouse posts.. subdued clouds reflected... etc. So send the gauges to me by
email so I can work on them....

Shessi
August 13th, 2013, 13:41
Have been messing about with it in the sim, and unfortunately there's going to be a major problem, which is very annoying,,,,grrrrr.

The problem is the high line of the top of the panel, which in the sim means to see anything ahead, the ac has to be basically descending/diving at a great rate. I have tried different sizes and ratios, and either get a good looking panel but no view, a very wide and squashed panel or I moved the panel down to give me a view ahead, which then loses a lot of the lower detail, but is usable.

Here are the pics, 1= your original panel, 2=your panel roughly adjusted to be useable, 3= another He115 panel for comparison.

I don't think there are many options on this, what do you think?

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 13th, 2013, 14:57
Have been messing about with it in the sim, and unfortunately there's going to be a major problem, which is very annoying,,,,grrrrr.

The problem is the high line of the top of the panel, which in the sim means to see anything ahead, the ac has to be basically descending/diving at a great rate. I have tried different sizes and ratios, and either get a good looking panel but no view, a very wide and squashed panel or I moved the panel down to give me a view ahead, which then loses a lot of the lower detail, but is usable.

Here are the pics, 1= your original panel, 2=your panel roughly adjusted to be useable, 3= another He115 panel for comparison.

Shessi

you have much experience flying in the cockpit of fair size birds... Like I think I told you... I flew second seat several times on a C-12 in Viet Nam... (it's Cessna small twin)
and you could see the horizon fairly well... but on big birds like 130s 141s and c-5s... I sat on the flight engineer seat behind the pilot... and really... the horizon in the distance
is barely visible... of course... the pilots can jack up their seats during take off... but basically... yes in level flight not much view... only on descent... and once you are at the
end of the glide path... i.e: just prior to touch down... you don't really see the apron..
P-47 and Corsairs... (tail-draggers of course)... often had a ground crew member sit on the tip of the wing to be the "eyes" of the pilot.
We can add headroom and cut the panel just above its lower edge... like in picture Nr 2...
check pictures of cockpits taken from the seat...and you'll notice that there really isn't much of a forward view... I'll post some photos to give you an idea...
Both of the pics you took in the sim present the view you'd have when you stand up behind the pilot... like a visitor...

gaucho_59
August 13th, 2013, 15:55

Shessi

Here I got some pics that illustrate the point

Shessi
August 14th, 2013, 08:03
Hi G,
I have 20 years experience in medium helos and light aircraft but not in medium to fair size fixed wing, but I totally agree with you about what can be viewed forwards from a large-aircraft seat, not that much!

I know we started this process knowing there would be a lot of artistic licence in this, so trying to get reality AND a useable panel is just not going to work, not without a bit of compromise.

You have to remember that the He115 was a medium-sized long-range observation and torpedo bomber and not a long range heavy bomber, with that in mind, the pilot would have to have good all-round visibility and especially close to the water for torpedo dropping and seeing the target.

You can see the construction sets the cockpit canopy high up on the top of the fuselage, so that the pilot and rear gunner/radio op have a good observation platform, more as in a fighter than a bomber. In fact if you look at the Grumman Avenger TBM, the pilot sits poking up out of the cockpit, see pic, to aid the torpedoing concept, as with most torpedo dropping ac.

I've got some pics of different flying He115s, see below, they are not in the taking-off or landing stage, but level flight, and you quite clearly see the pilots are sitting quite high up in the cockpits.

I hate to see a great panel, and all your effort, go to waste, or get butchered about and so it would not look like the real thing, just to get it to work. Maybe the answer is to have a half-way house, i.e. move the panel not quite down to where I put it but much nearer, to make it more usable?

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 14th, 2013, 08:49
Hi G,
I have 20 years experience in medium helos and light aircraft but not in medium to fair size fixed wing, but I totally agree with you about what can be viewed forwards from a large-aircraft seat, not that much!

I know we started this process knowing there would be a lot of artistic licence in this, so trying to get reality AND a useable panel is just not going to work, not without a bit of compromise.

You have to remember that the He115 was a medium-sized long-range observation and torpedo bomber and not a long range heavy bomber, with that in mind, the pilot would have to have good all-round visibility and especially close to the water for torpedo dropping and seeing the target.

You can see the construction sets the cockpit canopy high up on the top of the fuselage, so that the pilot and rear gunner/radio op have a good observation platform, more as in a fighter than a bomber. In fact if you look at the Grumman Avenger TBM, the pilot sits poking up out of the cockpit, see pic, to aid the torpedoing concept, as with most torpedo dropping ac.

I've got some pics of different flying He115s, see below, they are not in the taking-off or landing stage, but level flight, and you quite clearly see the pilots are sitting quite high up in the cockpits.

I hate to see a great panel, and all your effort, go to waste, or get butchered about and so it would not look like the real thing, just to get it to work. Maybe the answer is to have a half-way house, i.e. move the panel not quite down to where I put it but much nearer, to make it more usable?

Cheers

Shessi

will play the tune for you... hahaha Make a small sketch of how you wanted to be... and I will adapt the texture to it....
Probably.... like I said before.... increase headroom and cut the panel to just that... the panel bottom edge... or whatever can be
salvaged of the lower portion... no problem at all...

The panel can be made wider and taller also... and show everything.... like more oblong...

gaucho_59
August 14th, 2013, 09:46
will play the tune for you... hahaha Make a small sketch of how you wanted to be... and I will adapt the texture to it....
Probably.... like I said before.... increase headroom and cut the panel to just that... the panel bottom edge... or whatever can be
salvaged of the lower portion... no problem at all...

The panel can be made wider and taller also... and show everything.... like more oblong...

everything can be done... the canvas is large enough and with sufficient dpi definition that it can be cropped,
enlarged, etc. and support additions...
Here is what it would look like... no problem detailing and resizing as well as putting into perspective
said detailing... can probably support a 1024 x 768 without any appreciable loss of detail...
Let me know what you desire...
Of course this is only a preliminary sketch so to speak....

OleBoy
August 14th, 2013, 11:23
Hey Gaucho,

Your 2D panels are amazingly nice.
I don't fly 2D, but if I did yours would be in their proper place if you know what I mean.

Very impressive stuff! :salute:

Shessi
August 14th, 2013, 14:13
Works for me! Glad you came up with that one, great work.....

And looks good in the sim and is useable. I made the yolk, pop up, but it doesn't really block everything out if it was permenantly there? Your thoughts on that?

I think this is the way to go, as it's got the great detail, good view and useablility all in one. Means putting a bit of cockpit detailing at the sides, as you say.

To help with the making of the panel could I ask you to replace the white or sky texs background with pure black, and replace any pure black anywhere else on the panel with anything just off pure black. When making a panel 0,0,0 pure black is used for see through bits such as windows etc, so you get that moth eaten effect if it's anywhere else on the panel (see the shadows in the nose and framing issues, the guages will be replaced anyway).

Many thanks and patience

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 14th, 2013, 16:37
Works for me! Glad you came up with that one, great work.....

And looks good in the sim and is useable. I made the yolk, pop up, but it doesn't really block everything out if it was permenantly there? Your thoughts on that?

I think this is the way to go, as it's got the great detail, good view and useablility all in one. Means putting a bit of cockpit detailing at the sides, as you say.

To help with the making of the panel could I ask you to replace the white or sky texs background with pure black, and replace any pure black anywhere else on the panel with anything just off pure black. When making a panel 0,0,0 pure black is used for see through bits such as windows etc, so you get that moth eaten effect if it's anywhere else on the panel (see the shadows in the nose and framing issues, the guages will be replaced anyway).

Many thanks and patience

Shessi

I will start working on the detailing.... the panel has a black background... you see the way I do things... I start with a black background... first layer... then a layer -usually light blue - so I have good contrast to work out edeges, etc.- and then the cockpit background... another layer with the panel... another layer with the instruments... and however many layers for detaling... shadowing.. shines.. etc. So the panel in the works is usually about 5 or 6 layers...or more
when I finish, I flatten all layers without the black background.. and this renders a jpg to post... the final panel.. I flatten all layers keeping the sky layer out... and you have a panel with a transparent (black) background.. which for use... I usually format as an extended bmp to test on plane... Now since the extended bmps suffer in quality everytime you open them to edit... I do the editing in the 5 or 6 layer original... and replace a flat copy using Wrights dxt program on the panel being edited...
so each time I return it to the sim... it is pristine again... if you open an extended bmp and edit it... there is moiree patterns... loss of detail.. etc. but this way... the panel is returned to the aircraft in pristine condition... so I always keep a PSP layered texture... and put an extended bmp version on the plane in the sim...
Often people like Di Giuli.. are so anxious to try them out from what I post... that they copy the jpg and turn it into a bmp... with poor quality results... when the panel is finished... I will send you a set of textures at high-def... but you should not try to edit them in any way... for they will suffer... to edit them and come with equal quality as the finished product... one has to always go back to the original high def PSP file... make a copy... edit.. and etc.

Now... I think you need to wait for the finalized panel... to be used as a background to work out a panel config... for testing it is ok to do it like you have been doing now with the test textures... to place bezels, etc.
In other words... test all you want... suggest changes and they can be edited into the original... I do that with regular textures... work on the original and make quickie copies to put in the sim... see about fits... midlines.. camo lines, etc.
take a screen shot of the aircraft in flight in different positions... go back to PSP and translate changes into the original... until I am finally decide not much more can be done... and put the finalized extended bmp copy on the sim...

Shessi
August 14th, 2013, 23:22
Ha ha! Sorry if I insulted your intelligence, not meant at all. I know you're a pro and have very high standards, it was just that you did ask "Let me know what you desire..." (a dangerous ask!)

I did realise the final product would look much better than me copying and trying it out, it was just to give you an in-sim view, and others reading this post a taste of what's to come.

I'll sit and be patient then.....

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 14th, 2013, 23:52
Ha ha! Sorry if I insulted your intelligence, not meant at all. I know you're a pro and have very high standards, it was just that you did ask "Let me know what you desire..." (a dangerous ask!)

I did realise the final product would look much better than me copying and trying it out, it was just to give you an in-sim view, and others reading this post a taste of what's to come.

I'll sit and be patient then.....

Shessi

No offense taken at all....I just went into the long explanation so you are aware of my methodology...
Some folks are what I think, too impatient, in the quest to "publishing" their work for all to see...and in
the process - however well intentioned to be the first one out the "line" so to speak - they "publish"
the type of work that that suscited that long Aussieman's tlhread about insulting repainters... basically,
a storm in a teacup... In a way... one envisions a certain product... then you make it available...and these
folks sort of chop it up... into an unrecognizable "primitive" version of what you took time to evolve....
Had that experience with detailing textures for a certain aircraft which... in the end... was "published" with crude
versions of what I created... just so the author can put the imprimatur... model, textures, etc. by "Joe Blow"
wasting what I think was an honest effort to produce a nice, clean and sleek product...
You are very patient and methodical... I like that... I did a set of interiors for a certain aircraft that, I think, I am the only one who flies it as such. now..
because the finalized version came out without interiors (just dark shadows) because the author had the integrity of eliminating my textures when he fired me from the project...
So... I commend your patience and good will... I think in the end we can give the community a nicely done effort...

Tschuess....or Cheers, as you say...

Shessi
August 15th, 2013, 02:22
tschüß!

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 15th, 2013, 11:42
tschüß!

Shessi

If everything seems OK... I'll proceed with the finalized extended bmps...
This one and a separate bmp of the yoke...
The original is quite large...

Shessi
August 15th, 2013, 12:06
Very nice G!

The darker colours you have used are very good. I like the fuselage equipment detail. Also the highlights on the upper part of the panel and the frame shadow on the panel front, makes it look more realistic and takes it to another level, subtle but works very well.

I think a pop-up yolk is the answer, good to have a choice, and not to hide the nose detail permenantly.

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 15th, 2013, 12:19
[QUOTE=Shessi;828932]Very nice G!

The darker colours you have used are very good. I like the fuselage equipment detail. Also the highlights on the upper part of the panel and the frame shadow on the panel front, makes it look more realistic and takes it to another level, subtle but works very well.

I think a pop-up yolk is the answer, good to have a choice, and not to hide the nose detail permenantly.

Shessi[/QUOTE

I forgot to tell you... the reason why I put the sky in my proofs is because in the finalized black background texture... things show different and very dark
and when the sky is added, it lets me play with light and shadows... as they will look in the sim...
I was just looking at the picture with the pure black background and it looks very dark and two toned... sort of dark and darker... lol
I don't know how other folks do it... but if they work with the black background in place... that is why a lot of 2D panels are sort of monotone... solid colors

tchuess again (how did you get the double ss and the umlaut in your post?/ do you have a choice of keyboard sets?

Shessi
August 15th, 2013, 14:17
Well whatever works for you. I've got admit, it makes sense to use a sky backgorund as that is closer to what it will be like in the sim.

If you search on the word 'tchuess', there will many references to it on the internet, including dictionaries and transalators, usually you'll see the word 'tschüß' in the site sample. Just highlight with the mouse, the whole word and then 'copy' and then 'paste' the word onto the page you are using. Alternatively do the same to the word below, highlight, 'copy' and 'paste', into your next post!

tschüß

Shessi

p.s Any thoughts on a little wear and tear to the panel and fuselage?

gaucho_59
August 15th, 2013, 17:44
Well whatever works for you. I've got admit, it makes sense to use a sky backgorund as that is closer to what it will be like in the sim.

If you search on the word 'tchuess', there will many references to it on the internet, including dictionaries and transalators, usually you'll see the word 'tschüß' in the site sample. Just highlight with the mouse, the whole word and then 'copy' and then 'paste' the word onto the page you are using. Alternatively do the same to the word below, highlight, 'copy' and 'paste', into your next post!

tschüß

Shessi

p.s Any thoughts on a little wear and tear to the panel and fuselage?

When you get the paint scheme done... let me have the textures and I can refine them, weather, etc.
Is there any part that is doped fabric? or is it all metal...? I really have not read much on the HE 112...

tschüß

Carlos

Shessi
August 15th, 2013, 21:25
The He115 was all metal (possibly some control surfaces were fabric covered), but otherwise water would rot the fabric.

With weathering/wear and tear, I was refering to your panel, I wondered if you would put some in, I'm ok with the exterior texs, thanks.

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 16th, 2013, 05:48
The He115 was all metal (possibly some control surfaces were fabric covered), but otherwise water would rot the fabric.

With weathering/wear and tear, I was refering to your panel, I wondered if you would put some in, I'm ok with the exterior texs, thanks.

Shessi

I would appreciate if I can have a copy of the textures... are they all in one bmp or several?
(for my own use in weathering... so I can replaced them when the actual model is released....
just advance work for use in my own sim)

tschüß

Shessi
August 16th, 2013, 07:52
If you are talking about the VC texs then all it was a very rough cut-and-shut of your panel re-coloured and fitted to the VC panel. There are no texs made for the VC cockpit yet, that will come when I finish the cockpit and VC, and then texture them.

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
August 16th, 2013, 09:47
If you are talking about the VC texs then all it was a very rough cut-and-shut of your panel re-coloured and fitted to the VC panel. There are no texs made for the VC cockpit yet, that will come when I finish the cockpit and VC, and then texture them.

Cheers

Shessi

explicit enough... I meant the exterior textures... for my own enjoyment... in MY copy of the eventual model...
The VC... whenever you are ready...
Here is a proof of the cockpit weathering... what do you think...?
Seems like a never ending story...hahaha
every time I look at it I see something I can add to make it look more complete...
added some ammeters, control cables, and a trim wheel...