PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes life is awesome!

aeronca1
December 9th, 2012, 07:48
For several years, I have made a hobby out of dumpster diving older computers and passing them on to people who can't afford them. Recently I came across a pile of Macs sitting on the roadside awaiting the garbage truck. By the time I got them loaded, I could barely see to drive.

I refurbished, cleaned and reloaded software on these (they all worked after a fashion) and called a local school to see if they knew of anyone in need. The Vice Principal called and said they had several students that could use them. Great!

Well, to make what could be a long story short, the lady called me on Friday past and said one of the recipients had received her first "A" grade ever and had designed and printed a thank you card for me.

Sometimes Christmas comes early. Funny how something small like that can make you feel so good! I only wish I had the technical skills to fix the non-working ones!

n4gix
December 9th, 2012, 08:55
That's awesome! I've done pretty much the same thing with 'retired PCs' but have never gotten any feedback, so simply trust that they were appreciated. :engel016:

Bomber_12th
December 9th, 2012, 08:58
That is really cool, Matt, thank you for posting!

arfyhun
December 9th, 2012, 09:24
My congratulations to you both. Such actions are beyond monitary value.

Graham.

TeaSea
December 9th, 2012, 15:57
Please ensure the HDDs are completely scrubbed.

aeronca1
December 10th, 2012, 04:51
Please ensure the HDDs are completely scrubbed.

Always do this immediately to all donated hard drives! You are right in posting this, it's a very important item not to overlook!!