PDA

View Full Version : Airfile editing - pitch during cruise flight

Landman
December 4th, 2012, 07:59
I have a few aircraft that fly several degrees nose down during cruise flight as if the lift is set too high. If I reduce the cruise lift scalar in the aircraft.cfg file so the plane flies level during cruise then I have to add flaps too early to deal with the reduced lift and I have an abnormally high final approach speed to maintain the necessary lift. I tried adjusting the wing incidence to a negative value in the aircraft geometry section of the aircraft.cfg file but it does not help much. Is there an entry that I can adjust in the .air file to make the aircraft fly level during high speed cruise if I return the cruise lift scalar to 1.0 in the aircraft.cfg file? I have aircraft airfile editor ver. 2.2.

bstolle
December 4th, 2012, 08:26
You just need to reduce lift at the area around your desired cruise AoA.
Table CL vs Alpha (e.g. 1545). First adjust (reduce lift) only at the area around cruise AoA and once that's ok, smooth out the rest of the lift curve up to the stall AoA.

Landman
December 4th, 2012, 08:43
Excellent! thanks

fliger747
December 4th, 2012, 09:31
Table 404 does the same thing, but the sim will read the 1545 table instead if it is there. If you don't have it, I reccomend the utility Aircraft Airfile Manager which permits adjustments to the graphical tables without resort to using HEX.

Also take a peek at table 473, which controls aircraft pitching moment vrs AOA. Note that table 1546 overwrites this one if present.

T

Dev One
December 4th, 2012, 10:36
Table 1101 - Fuselage AoA at Min Induced drag might also have an effect.
Keith