PDA

View Full Version : FR P-40N - A Few More External Views

mike_cyul
November 26th, 2012, 12:18
Still in basic almost-fresh-from-the-factory scheme, but getting a little more weathered with each test flight. Lots more to go. Soon I'll have to try some 'shark mouths' to make sure the texture mapping on the tighter areas is suitable. No bump mapping yet. 98% of model details are now done (not including different drop tanks, and bomb loads), just a few mysteries to clear up, and there remains a few gauge code items in the cockpit to figure out. Not too much free time at present, so I'm concentrating on the easier and quicker model side of things for now, but each step is moving things a little closer to completion.

:)

Mike

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/mike_cyul/FR_P-40N/Nov261.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/mike_cyul/FR_P-40N/Nov262.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/mike_cyul/FR_P-40N/Nov263.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/mike_cyul/FR_P-40N/Nov264.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/mike_cyul/FR_P-40N/Nov265.jpg

stovall
November 26th, 2012, 12:23
Mike, she is a real beauty. Really appreciate you keeping us posted with the screen shots. Certainly a wonderful addition to everyone's hanger. Great work and thanks!!

jeansy
November 26th, 2012, 12:38
Mike, she is a real beauty. Really appreciate you keeping us posted with the screen shots. Certainly a wonderful addition to everyone's hanger. Great work and thanks!!
my thoughts exactly

very nice and looking forward to it

Ian Warren
November 26th, 2012, 13:39
Now that is really coming along well , be looking forward to see some of those Kiwi birds :cool:

roger-wilco-66
November 26th, 2012, 13:55
Ohhh sweet looking. The credit card is ready!

Cheers,
Mark

mal998
November 26th, 2012, 13:57
Fianlly, a first rate P-40. I am anxiously awaiting this beauty. Looks great so far.

skyhawka4m
November 26th, 2012, 14:06
I'll take one AS IS!!!! SOLD!!! :applause:

Can you make the pilot look around? Does he disappear at parking?

Bomber_12th
November 26th, 2012, 14:23
Fianlly, a first rate P-40.

Spot on!

I love the factory-bare look, Mike (though the more people have complained about restored P-40's sporting shark mouths, the more I have gone back to liking them too)! : ) It looks a lot like John Paul's (one of the original "Chino Kids") P-40N NL1195N, in the years before it had the parrot head nose art added.

BTW, I like the exhaust textures, with the last five stacks coated in lead and the forward-most stack remaining clean.

skyhawka4m
November 26th, 2012, 14:30
Any chance you might do a "burn" on the textures?

Bomber_12th
November 26th, 2012, 14:38
No real reason for posting this, but here is a photo of what is probably my favorite, or at least one of my top favorite, P-40 restorations, which happens to be a P-40N. Like a number of other P-40 restorations, it is a combat vet, and is painted in the exact same markings/color scheme that it wore during WWII, which could still be seen on the aircraft when it was found in New Guinea in 1969. The aircraft is stock with the exception of dual controls added within the confines of the stock airframe. The guy seen in back in this photo is none other than the aircraft's wartime pilot, Ray Melikian, who on this flight was able to take control of the aircraft again (thanks to the dual controls). The pilot is Chris Prevost, who also owns the aircraft and restored it himself after working away at it for eight years straight.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/raiden/207-e-1280.jpg

flaviossa
November 26th, 2012, 15:17
Amazing picture John. There may be a lot of emotion surfacing in the vet pilot face flying his bird again. Many kudos to Mr. Chris Prevost to make it happen :applause:
And of course, waiting for the release of the virtual version. Will buy it for sure :salute:

mike_cyul
November 26th, 2012, 15:50
I'll take one AS IS!!!! SOLD!!! :applause:

Can you make the pilot look around? Does he disappear at parking?

Yes indeed, pilot looks around, checks his instruments, and will leave the aircraft if you ask him to. :)

Not quite sure what you mean by a "burn" on the textures, though?

Mike

skyhawka4m
November 26th, 2012, 17:46
Adding a form of 3D shadows to them., otherwise known as ambiant occlusion.

skyhawka4m
November 26th, 2012, 17:47
No real reason for posting this, but here is a photo of what is probably my favorite, or at least one of my top favorite, P-40 restorations, which happens to be a P-40N. Like a number of other P-40 restorations, it is a combat vet, and is painted in the exact same markings/color scheme that it wore during WWII, which could still be seen on the aircraft when it was found in New Guinea in 1969. The aircraft is stock with the exception of dual controls added within the confines of the stock airframe. The guy seen in back in this photo is none other than the aircraft's wartime pilot, Ray Melikian, who on this flight was able to take control of the aircraft again (thanks to the dual controls). The pilot is Chris Prevost, who also owns the aircraft and restored it himself after working away at it for eight years straight.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/raiden/207-e-1280.jpg

I have always loved the 2 seat varaints of the fighters...like the P-51B's that were modified.

Kiwikat
November 26th, 2012, 17:54
Fianlly, a first rate P-40.

You didn't think the A2A Accusimmed P-40 was first rate? If not, what is wrong with it?

Is it possible to make the canopy a little less "whitish" and more clear and reflective like the photo? Looks like a solid model overall though. :applause:

Sundog
November 26th, 2012, 19:19
Thanks for sharing more preview pics Mike. It's looking just as good as I thought it would. :)

mike_cyul
November 26th, 2012, 19:22
Adding a form of 3D shadows to them., otherwise known as ambiant occlusion.

Don't think I can do that with Gmax, and besides, I enjoy the texturing. As well, I don't always find the shadows produced by 'ambiant occlusion' to always be that suitable for a variety of lighting conditions (although some do it really well), and I like trying comming up with that blend. But that's just me.

MudMarine
November 26th, 2012, 19:43
Sold! Another work of art!

skyhawka4m
November 26th, 2012, 20:18
understood Mike.......no matter....I will be buying!!

jankees
November 26th, 2012, 21:15
That looks just great, I'm looking to slapping some paint on this bird!
Thanks for keeping us up to date!

hairyspin
November 27th, 2012, 11:14
Tidy model, realistic gaps between control surfaces and the rest of the airframe and obvious attention to details. I like it! :salute:

mike_cyul
November 28th, 2012, 09:15
I shouldn't be doing repaints at this stage, without the rivets, fasteners, weathering, etc., in place, but this one just evolved as I checked that textures were lining up correctly - and so I thought I'd share. 135 Squadron, RCAF, Patricia Bay (British Columbia) 1944-1945. A squadron mate of this aircraft shot down a Japanese fire balloon, at 20,000ft. Ex USAAF P-40N-5-CU Warhawk, serial number 42-105181.

:)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/mike_cyul/FR_P-40N/fsscr050.png

ZsoltB
November 28th, 2012, 10:16
Great!!!

MudMarine
November 28th, 2012, 10:42
SOLD!

Bradburger
November 28th, 2012, 11:25
Fianlly, a first rate P-40. I am anxiously awaiting this beauty. Looks great so far.

Thirded!

Great to see a top class late model P-40 for FSX. :jump:

Will there be any more variants further down the road?

Would love to see an F.

Cheers

Paul

Ian Warren
November 28th, 2012, 12:22
Its going to be a joy to follow the progress on this one .. "the rivets, fasteners, weathering" looking forward to that :cool:

mike_cyul
November 28th, 2012, 12:32
Thirded!

Great to see a top class late model P-40 for FSX. :jump:

Will there be any more variants further down the road?

Would love to see an F.

Cheers

Paul

If all goes well, yes, other variants will certainly be done, including the F.

Mike

CP1207
November 28th, 2012, 13:18

Very good news:jump:

Bradburger
November 28th, 2012, 14:48

Mike

That's great news Mike.

Cheers

Paul

Bomber_12th
November 28th, 2012, 15:04
Love the RCAF markings, Mike! The more screenshots posted, the more one can appreciate the attention to detail incorporated within this production, which has used the original factory drawings to ensure that the aircraft has all of the correct contours and lines as the real aircraft - an extremely rare feature amongst flight sim models.

After the P-40N, I'm hoping to see separate P-40K, P-40E, and P-40F products from you Mike, and I know I'll support the cause as best as I can. Hopefully when the P-40N is released, repaints for the other model types will respectfully be withheld to help support the future possibility of these other, uniquely different, models to be produced and given their own rightful attention. Fortunately there are tons of different paint scheme options for the P-40N alone (considered the finest, most refined production variant of the P-40 series).