PDA

View Full Version : Early 109 Airfiles

erufle
November 23rd, 2012, 06:51
Just wanted to say hi y'all. Its been awhile since I've posted but I'm still flying CFS2 exclusively in the Spanish Civil War theather. I have been trying to come up with the perfect 635hp Jumo 210D airfile for the Bf109B-1, and then I wanted to make appropriate incremental improvements on subsequent 109s up through the E model. The problem I have in getting this project done is three fold; 1) I'm not an expert on airfiles, 2) every 109 airfile I have seen seems to have been originally created for the Daimler-Benz engine rather than the Jumo motor, 3) and probably closer to the truth is that ADHD gets in the way and I get side-tracked.

My reason for wanting to do this is historical. Mind you, I have never been one of the rivet-counters around here but this was the period during which the 109 was being perfected for mass production, and its nemesis, the Republican flown Polikarpov I-16, was constantly being upgraded. The first few experimental 109s, considered the A models, were built for the 610hp Junkers Jumo 210A motor, although the very first had a 695hp Rolls Royce Kestrel engine. When the 109 first saw action in the SCW, the varient used was designated as the Bf109B-1. With their 635hp JumoD engines, wooden fixed-pitch propellers, and dual cowl-mounted 7.9 mm MG 17 machine guns, one could imagine they had to adapt, just as their future American foes would, by slowly gaining superior altitude and then utilizing gravity to gain speed and jump the I-16s from above. The 109B-2 was a short-lived upgrade utilizing a Hamilton variable-pitch metal two-blade propeller, through which a third machine gun was housed, and a 640hp JumoE engine (Actually, I found different sources who suggested the engines used in the 109B-2 were the JumoD, Da, and E models.) The Jumo E engine quickly gave way to the gave way to the 670hp Jumo 210G engine. Another short-lived 109 was the C series with models designated C-0, C-1, C-2, and C-3 sporting a 700hp Jumo 210Ga engine and two extra wing-mounted machineguns. It was a better performer because it gave the 109 fuel injection and retained the Hamilton propeller. The Bf109C-2 variant featured engine-mounted machineguns. The 109D also saw time in the SCW war and was beefed up a bit to handle the more powerful new daimler-Benz 600. However, the 109E was developed so quickly on the heels of the D model that the Germans decided to send the Ds to Spain with the same old Jumo powerplant. Apparently, a few of these new E models were sent to Spain, but my sources say they were never involced in battle their.
If you know of any well done early 109 airfiles with jumo engines or can make one please post. And thanks!

Rami
November 23rd, 2012, 07:51
Erufle,

Bear in mind that the Jump-engines versions were carb-fed, so they were susceptible to negative-G cutouts.

Fibber
November 23rd, 2012, 08:26
Eurfle;
You probably already know about this site but there are some here that may fit what you want.
http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/Aircraft_CFS2_2.htm

It is a elder site that has a lot of early Me109s on it.
Just a thought.

Rami
November 23rd, 2012, 09:42
Good afternoon,

To do this right, you'll also have to change compression ratio, engine RPM, and displacement, among other factors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Jumo_210

erufle
December 8th, 2012, 09:26
After getting a few bits and pieces from other members and doing a lot of research I think I finally have a Bf109b-1 aircraft that is historically acurate and fun to fly. It won't go much over 245 mph unless its pointed downhill and it stalls out if you're not careful. I had to learn to use Airwrench in combination with other airfile editors to do it. My research suggested the early 109s were 28 feet long. Every other airfile I checked had it at 30 feet. When I got it shortened and properly entered the other control surfaces as my research suggested it suddenly flew the way I thought it should. I also had to make sure the guns were historically acurate and used Aim It to point them in the right direction. I have gone through so many 109 bits and pieces I'm not sure who's airfile, dp file, texture, and model I started with so I don't know who to thank. That's also the reason its nothing I could upload. But if anybody wants to try it out and maybe put some of these files into something that could be uploaded just send me a PM. Meanwhile I am going to try to cobble together a Bf109b-2, 109C, or even a 109A.

erufle
February 2nd, 2013, 05:03
I realized that what I thought was a pretty good combination of an airfile/aircraft configure file was pretty amateurish and problematic so I have decided to start from scratch. I am learning the aeronautical terms used in the various editors available and keeping a spreadsheet of all the data I can find on 109s. It will be a long process but somehow I just got sidetracked one day while trying to decide which planes to keep in my SCW aircraft folder. Oh well, that's ADHD for you. I have been through so many existing 109 airfiles and it just seems difficult to put together a realistic progression of improvements so that one can fly the b1 model in a campaign, then b2, c, d, e and so on. Anyway, that's what I've been working on. Trying to learn . . .