PDA

View Full Version : EX member requires help to get going again

rickyt7808
November 19th, 2012, 11:04
Hello everyone,

After an absence of almost 10 years I have returned to SOH. I have never lost my enthusiasm for simming but having to raise twin boys as somewhat occupied my life over that time.

I've been doing a fair bit of reading on the forums trying to find out what has happened while I've been away and working through Rami's ETO install guide over the last few weeks. The ETO is my main area of interest so what I would like is some advice on the best A/C to install as I assume that the ones I downloaded many years ago will probably not work correctly under Windows 7/8. Looking in my old downloads I have over 200 A/C covering several theatres but I don't know which of those will work under current operating systems rather than Windows XP.

It's great to see so many names from the past still here at SOH and I just hope that I can set aside enough time to get back into flying again

Many thanks

rickyt

sc7500
November 19th, 2012, 11:25
Glad you came back, Rick - There will be a lot of homework for you, so many choices your head will spin, and some amazing surprises to uncover....

Best go direct to the source and ask Rami for his ETO Hit List - Welcome back to The Basement !

SC

:kilroy:

watchdog22
November 19th, 2012, 21:24
Welcome Back Rickyt, I run windows 7 64 bit and my collection of downloads goes back to 1999. There are very few that dont still work but therere so many newer models that tend to make them look a bit comic book like in comparison. My advice would be to download a campaign that interests you and follow the readme file for the required downloads. Rami's theatre guides are a must-have too.

Then you can start more campaigns and build up your hangar and have a whole lot of fun in the most accessible sim ever!

Cheers

Allen
November 19th, 2012, 21:48
Many of the old ones will work fine but a watchdog22 said newer ones are now out. The main issue with Windows 7 and older aircraft is do to panels. If the aircraft ONLY has a main panel that is 1024x786 it will lock up CFS2 on Win 7 if you try to fly it.

If the aircraft has 2 main panels (one is 640 x 480 and the other is 1024x786) like stock aircraft have it will work just fine in Win 7.

Shadow Wolf 07
November 20th, 2012, 10:08
Welcome back to the finest combat flight sim ever. :salute:
The main problem with the "older ones" is that you might not find many of the required downloads/parts. I'd stick to stuff no older than 2005 unless you just absolutely have to have it . :) Which theatre are you going to concentrate on first?

rickyt7808
November 20th, 2012, 12:29
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I now have another question. Even with everything maxed out and my speakers at full volume I'm not getting any sounds from the aircraft. how do I sort this out? I get sound when I click on the various buttons on the home screen just nothing when I'm flying, no commands in training missions etc.

I'm intending to fly ETO initially and if everything progresses as I hope probably moving on to the Med later.

Thanks for your help.

RickyT

Shadow Wolf 07
November 20th, 2012, 12:46
Go to free flight or to any mission. Upon start of a flight hit p = Pause. Then hit alt and observe the menu at the top of the screen. Open each tab in that menu, scrolling down to turn on things like aircraft sound, voice/radio and written messages etc. When finished "unpause" the flight and end it if you want or continue the mission.

Ghostrider
November 20th, 2012, 15:27
Many of the old ones will work fine but a watchdog22 said newer ones are now out. The main issue with Windows 7 and older aircraft is do to panels. If the aircraft ONLY has a main panel that is 1024x786 it will lock up CFS2 on Win 7 if you try to fly it.

If the aircraft has 2 main panels (one is 640 x 480 and the other is 1024x786) like stock aircraft have it will work just fine in Win 7.

800x600 panels also work fine. When you find an A/C with only a 1024x768 panel, you'll get the "spinning black 'wait' circle of death". End the mission, exit CFS2, go into the aircraft's panel folder and find the main panel background. It will be a *.BMP. Open it in the editor of your choice and resize the BMP to 800x600, and save it again as a BMP. Be sure not to save it as a JPG, or any other file type, and you should be back in business. That's the only issue I have run into with Windows 7/64. I understand it also doesn't play nicely with rear-view mirrors, but I can't speak to that personally.

Ghostrider
November 20th, 2012, 15:30
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I now have another question. Even with everything maxed out and my speakers at full volume I'm not getting any sounds from the aircraft. how do I sort this out? I get sound when I click on the various buttons on the home screen just nothing when I'm flying, no commands in training missions etc.

I'm intending to fly ETO initially and if everything progresses as I hope probably moving on to the Med later.

Thanks for your help.

RickyT

I believe "Q" is the default command for sound on/off. Try that?

Worthless
November 20th, 2012, 15:51
800x600 panels also work fine. When you find an A/C with only a 1024x768 panel, you'll get the "spinning black 'wait' circle of death". End the mission, exit CFS2, go into the aircraft's panel folder and find the main panel background. It will be a *.BMP. Open it in the editor of your choice and resize the BMP to 800x600, and save it again as a BMP. Be sure not to save it as a JPG, or any other file type, and you should be back in business. That's the only issue I have run into with Windows 7/64. I understand it also doesn't play nicely with rear-view mirrors, but I can't speak to that personally.

I can speak to the mirrors issue, and you are precisely right Ghostrider. The same cure you have described works for mirrors too. All thanks due to Allen for imparting that little jewel of info. Just re-size the mirror BMP as you have detailed above and boom, your mirror now works, instead of freezing the whole damn game.

Allen
November 20th, 2012, 18:08
Ghostrider has the quickest way of fix panels for Win 7. Mirrors and gunner views (That let you look out waist or tail gun) are Fixed Windows and have the same bug.

rickyt7808
November 20th, 2012, 22:14
Thanks Ghostrider it was the Q button - just shows how long I've been away!

Haven't tried any of my old aircraft yet but thanks for the info on changing .bmp size. I'll bear it in mind.

RickyT

Rami
November 22nd, 2012, 14:15
RickyT,

Welcome back! My humblest apologies for not keeping tabs on this thread, but I'm afraid my work on the summer and lack of free time has made me scarce 'round these parts the past few months.

Here's a link to my stuff, and there's LOTS of other stuff to try out there: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&userid=1543&sort=d

rickyt7808
November 26th, 2012, 13:55
Sorry I haven't responded sooner - been too busy building/repairing PCs over the last few days.

Thanks for all the info & links.

RickyT

Dakota93
November 26th, 2012, 15:00
Welcome back, I to have recently returned although mostly to CFS3, after having to step away for nearly the same reason you did, although my twin boys are only 18 months but my 5 and 3 year old boys have kept me hopping...