PDA

View Full Version : AI_Aircraft Question

falcon409
November 11th, 2012, 06:55
I'm setting up an AI version of the RCS_B25_v1.7 and trying to get it to a workable file size for everyone that will use it during our flights (approx. 5 other pilots). The texture folder for the aircraft I'll be flying is 29meg right now. Are there areas of the aircraft that I can eliminate texturewise that will allow the main exterior to show while in flight but aren't really needed otherwise?

PRB
November 11th, 2012, 07:14
Wow, there are a lot of texture files in that one. Looks like most of them are bits of the exterior too. Even after deleting the obviously internal files, like "VC_this" and "VC_that", it's still a large collection. How about converting them to 16 bit DXT3?

- Paul

falcon409
November 11th, 2012, 07:29
Wow, there are a lot of texture files in that one. Looks like most of them are bits of the exterior too. Even after deleting the obviously internal files, like "VC_this" and "VC_that", it's still a large collection. How about converting them to 16 bit DXT3?
- Paul
Yea, figures the Heavy Bomber I pick to fly is the most texture intensive of all the options, lol. I'll give the change to DXT3 a shot and see what I get. I'm also considering the FDG_B-25J, I just wasn't as happy with the VC on that one as I was with the RCS version. Thanks Paul.

falcon409
November 11th, 2012, 08:18
Ok, that cut it in half at least, so it's now down to 14meg. I looked again at the FDG version (SOH Donationware version), all the gauges have a black square behind them, just looks tacky, so that one's out of the running. I picked the B-25 because it was the fastest of the Heavy Bombers. I may have to rethink this AI selection as 14meg is just too high for an AI, especially since everyone else in this flight flies FS9.

expat
November 11th, 2012, 08:29
Ed, I chop up flyable planes for AI often, with mixed results, but that B-25 while a terrific flyable is going to be a bit of a monster for an AI plane no matter how you slice it.

falcon409
November 11th, 2012, 08:31
Ed, I chop up flyable planes for AI often, with mixed results, but that B-25 while a terrific flyable is going to be a bit of a monster for an AI plane no matter how you slice it.
Yep, you are right about that. Back to the drawing board, lol :salute:

Actually after an epiphany of sorts I hit on the obvious compromise. Use the FDG B-25J for the AI. I don't have the same liveries, but as long as the aircraft is correct, the livery is unimportant. A manageable file size and an original FS9 aircraft to boot. Done!