PDA

View Full Version : FSX airport list disappeared

airattackimages
November 10th, 2012, 11:02
My computer locked up on me the other day... Nothing new, it typically does that as often as several times a week. What was new, was that the next time I started the sim, the airport list is completely empty. Can't select an airport.

Any ideas what files I lost? Either way, I was hoping I could repair the install and that would fix it... Whenever I can find my discs that is.

Meshman
November 10th, 2012, 21:06
Airport data is kept in the APX####0.bgl files, found in the numbered folders under the primary \Scenery folder of FSX. If you had lost all of these files I gotta believe FSX wouldn't want to run. I'm not inclined to have a solution, but I'm wondering if when your system crashed if it didn't mess with your FSX.cfg file. That file will hold the last airport start data and maybe (?) FSX is barfing due to an error in the file? Might try renaming FSX.cfg to something else and let FSX make a new copy and see if that gets things going.

PHo17
November 11th, 2012, 01:01
Any ideas what files I lost? Either way, I was hoping I could repair the install and that would fix it... Whenever I can find my discs that is.

For this and any other kinds of bad luck I always take a full copy of my FS right after installing it. It's very easy to raplace anything missing/overwritten/... from the default copy. For now and then I really need it. This doesn't solve your problem. Just in case for the future.

Pekka

airattackimages
November 11th, 2012, 11:42
Thanks guys... Mark, tried what you said. Generated a new FSX.cfg (first time I ever did that) and it's still pretending there are no airports in the world. No idea what to do, but repair the install I guess. Still on the lookout for my discs. Ugh.

Pekka, I actually backed up my install once, probably over a year ago, on an external drive. Maybe I should go look for it. There's just a bunch of aircraft I've installed since and if I can avoid it, I really don't want to have to reinstall them all (or worry about accidentally overwriting any of the various files that are scattered throughout the install).

airattackimages
November 11th, 2012, 12:36
Does this answer any piece of the puzzle?

I started airborne near Friday Harbor (all it will let me do) and I noticed after flying over several airports, there are no runways or taxiways. Don't know if it's mesh related or if they're just gone.

This is CYPK... A towered airport, pretty sure it's not supposed to be a grass field.

Meshman
November 11th, 2012, 13:24
I started airborne near Friday Harbor (all it will let me do) and I noticed after flying over several airports, there are no runways or taxiways. Don't know if it's mesh related or if they're just gone.

Well, duh! There won't be any runways because you have no airports... :costum:

I was going to ask about the default APX files, but I'm seeing taxi signs in the picture. Is this an add-on airport? What's a nice busy default airport look like with respects to buildings, taxi signs, etc?

All the numbered folders are shown as active in the Scenery Library? If you do a search in Windows and specify the location of FSX and ask it to list all the APX*.bgl files, does it report 1,525 of them?

BTW, who's Mark?

airattackimages
November 11th, 2012, 14:46
Oh man, haha... Mark was you, at least I thought. But now I'm starting to think I'm wrong... ;)

Hey, I just thought the airports lost some kind of identifier, I didn't think their runways were gone. What do I know... lol

Since I'm forced to stay in the region I just buzzed around VFR and took a look around. I did happen to find my way over Vancouver, the autogen terminal was there.

I'll look in the scenery library and see if any of them unchecked themselves. The Windows thing, I'll have to figure out how to do.

By the way, I appreciate all the help. :)

airattackimages
November 11th, 2012, 16:37
Ok, they were all checked in the scenery library, however, just because I went in there, it repopulated the scenery files... and, now it all works again. Whatever, I'm just glad it's back. Thanks for the help! :)