PDA

View Full Version : First Class Simulations Wellington Bomber

Roger
January 4th, 2009, 03:33
It's now available as a download so I took the plunge:jump:
Overall impressions are good; I like the modelling inside and out; there's a fair amount of clickable switches etc. in the vc and the paint schemes are good quality. I have a slight issue with the exterior sound close to full rpm as there is a slight whistle.
There's a 10% off sale so for £22.49 I'm happy.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/welly-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/welly-2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/welly-3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/welly-4.jpg

Milton Shupe
January 4th, 2009, 03:45
Looks really nice Roger ... love the cockpit panel, window framing and glass works. :applause:

IanP
January 4th, 2009, 04:26
I'll be writing a review of it very shortly (and assuming we can get a copy to Nick to take screenshots!) but right now, the only things I can find wrong with it are the very odd "wood" skin, which should be fabric or metal and the scenery textures, some of which are pretty awful.

The promised AI hasn't materialised yet either, but that's not a disaster.

Ian P.

gajit
January 4th, 2009, 04:30
Have they fixed the VC view of the engines?

IanP
January 4th, 2009, 04:56
If you don't stick your head out over the panel, you don't see the lack of engines. It's your choice if you want to move your head into an unrealistic position to find problems that people who choose to use other methods don't find, I'm afraid.

Ian P.

Roger
January 4th, 2009, 04:58
Have they fixed the VC view of the engines?

Not a problem for me because I tend to zoom out or move back rather than move closer to the panel and only the spinners are visible in my preferred position. The aircraft isn't exactly a fr hog but with much more added from vc view it probably would be.

With regards to the "wood skin" mentioned by Ian I think the intention was to give a "brushed dope" impression and only on extreme close-up does it look like grain.

I'm happy enough:engel016:

ICDP
January 4th, 2009, 05:00
From plans I have looked at the engines of the Wellington were level with the pilot and would be easily visible from the cockpit.

IanP
January 4th, 2009, 05:18
They're slightly behind the cockpit and, as has already been said, visibility from the cockpit of a Wimpey was far from brilliant. What gajit was complaining about on the other thread was that he moves his head into unrealistic positions to compensate for this. What happened in the real world was "a marshaller". As we don't have those in the sim, you need to either move your head to unrealistic positions or use an external view.

The developer here has chosen not to model what cannot be seen from a pilot's position sitting in a seat. Some people won't like that, it won't bother others. It's something I'll mention in the review, but I won't slate an add-on for it.

Ian P.

gajit
January 4th, 2009, 05:42
Excuse me Ian but i was not complaining on another thread- I would not dare as I don't own the Wimpey. I simply asked a question here so please dont be like that.

I personally think that you would be able to see the engines from the seat which is why i asked. One of the great things about a twin or multi engined aircraft i enjoy in both real life and in sim is watching those props turning.

Happy new year.

IanP
January 4th, 2009, 05:56
My apologies, if it wasn't you who was slating the product on the other thread. I thought it was (especially as your first post here was discussing "fixing" the product).

However, every picture of the Wellington I have shows the prop spinners as being level with the windows, as is the pilot's seat. Therefore yes, if you leaned over far enough, you could see the engines, but just turning your head or leaning a short distance (i.e. if you were strapped into the seat), you could only see the prop spinner. Like I said before, it's not a product killer for me, it evidently is for you. In that case, no, the engines aren't included, so you won't want the package.

It also appears from line drawings that certain Wellington models with different engines did have more of the engine visible from the pilot's seat. In the Mk.II (Merline engined) model in particular, a lot more of the engine would be visible. There's a possibility that the Mk III (which is included in the pack) is wrong, because the Mercury appears to be mounted further forward in that on the line drawings I have - but I need more information on that before I will definitely say that the model (not just the VC view) is wrong.

Ian P.

gajit
January 4th, 2009, 06:04
Hi Ian

You are right - the lack of that engine view - especially on the port side I would find very disappointing as for me a VC should replicate the view you would really see.

Thanks for the confirmation that will save me a few quid.

:wavey:

Desert Rat
January 4th, 2009, 11:04
The missing parts in the VC are fine by me, many aircraft have trimmed down VC models, if you look hard enough and from obscure angles I'm sure you would notice this on a good percentage of aircraft. Doesn't bother me much as I understand why it is done.

You guys are just teasing me, ordered mine in mid Dec from Amazon at the knock-down price of £17.99 or something. Still waiting for it to arrive, mid Jan to Mid Feb apparently, taking a bit longer as the price is due to an import Tax evasion, lol.

Thanks for the pics to drool over,
Jamie

Boomer
January 4th, 2009, 12:29
Looks very nice & since I dont have a slinky for a neck am sure I will be delighted :costumes:

I will have to wait a bit on this one as I exceeded my monthly FS budget by several hundred dollars already :redf:

guzler
January 4th, 2009, 12:54
Based on them images, its joining my collection

Lionheart
January 4th, 2009, 13:48
What a freaking beauty!!!

> thumbs up! <

Love those paint schemes. My kind of texturing. :d

Bill

d0mokun
January 4th, 2009, 14:01
I'm glad everyone is liking it.

The package is fun despite engine parts being missing in the VC. They can't be seen from the default viewpoint anyway, so I didn't think they'd have much of an effect!

Best
Dan.

IanP
January 4th, 2009, 14:05
I'll be in touch when I start the review, Dan (I've just finished one as a draft, so it's getting closer finally) but I have to say that I'm one of the people who thinks that the textures look a little too much like wood and not enough like doped fabric.

Specifically, the engine cowlings should actually be metal, yet they're textured the same as the fuselage - it definitely looks a bit off to me! Sorry...

Ian P.

d0mokun
January 4th, 2009, 14:53
Tastes are tastes and an opinion is not necessarily a review.

I can't cater to everyone's tastes but that said, they are always taken into account. I can't do anything unless asked specifically, though, by those above me.

Review questions are better directed at the publisher also I'm afraid. I can answer generic questions but my comments do not reflect that of the publisher and therefore should not be used for the review.

ATB

Panther_99FS
January 4th, 2009, 14:55
One reason why I don't look at reviews in depth is because one person's lump of coal is another's diamond :mixedsmi:

Case in point - Roger is quite happy :)

d0mokun
January 4th, 2009, 14:57
:ernae:

Desert Rat
January 4th, 2009, 15:08
To me the textures look pretty good, and then some. If they look like wood grain from 6 inches away, so be it, how often do I fly in spot mode at that distance? Can't see it being a problem.

However, if they bother me that much, heck, I'll repaint it myself to my own preference. Paint kit or not, I never use them anyway, always make my own, that way I can only blame myself, lol.

From the screenies I saw, it was the model and textures that sold this for me, both look great. If I wanted absolute realism, I'd learn to fly, build a time machine and join Bomber command circa 1938. That not being the case, I'm happy with my SIMULATED airplanes.

Still looking forward to it,
Jamie

Lionheart
January 4th, 2009, 19:30
To me the textures look pretty good, and then some. If they look like wood grain from 6 inches away, so be it, how often do I fly in spot mode at that distance? Can't see it being a problem.

However, if they bother me that much, heck, I'll repaint it myself to my own preference. Paint kit or not, I never use them anyway, always make my own, that way I can only blame myself, lol.

From the screenies I saw, it was the model and textures that sold this for me, both look great. If I wanted absolute realism, I'd learn to fly, build a time machine and join Bomber command circa 1938. That not being the case, I'm happy with my SIMULATED airplanes.

Still looking forward to it,
Jamie

Well put Jamie, lolol.... :applause::applause::applause:

I fell for the VC and those exterior textures right off...

IanP
January 4th, 2009, 22:57
Tastes are tastes and an opinion is not necessarily a review.

I agree with what you say about personal taste, but any review is only ever one person's opinion, no matter how "fair" they try to be. I always try to take others' experiences and opinions into account when I'm writing, as well as my own, and will continue to do so with this one.

Personally I really like the black and I don't have huge problems with the camo texture effect. My only significant problem with the texturing is that the wood/dope effect continues over the metal parts of the engine. That's not a case of "it doesn't look good from six inches away", it's simply not correct. On the other hand, you took the time to try and make a texture effect rather than leaving them flat, which is a big plus point in my book.

Unless I find something totally amiss when I sit down and start testing more deeply (which seems unlikely), then it'll be a positive review anyway.

As for contacting you, to be more specific, I meant "I'll contact the publisher, who almost invariably will then pass it on to you because they don't know the answer"... ;)

Cheers,

Ian P.

Panther_99FS
January 5th, 2009, 04:49
I need to add that payware reviews are quite useful if you're strapped for funds, and a few companies are making roughly the same product. I.E. 2 vendors are making a Wright Flyer package and you only have the funds for one...

huub vink
January 5th, 2009, 09:20
Thanks for these great images Roger. The VC looks absolutely smashing!

Cheers,
Huub

TeaSea
January 5th, 2009, 15:19
One reason why I don't look at reviews in depth is because one person's lump of coal is another's diamond :mixedsmi:

Case in point - Roger is quite happy :)

That's a pretty good point Panther...and it applies to just about everything that can be reviewed (Movies, books, cars, planes, toasters, garbage disposals).

well...maybe not garbage disposals....

Desert Rat
January 5th, 2009, 15:55
I have to say that reviews just pass me by. More often than not it's the skinny on the OH that gets me, usually P's fault.

Jamie

Ian Warren
November 15th, 2011, 14:14
Two years ago this Welly was released , ****e! how time has flown , 30 missions at this stage were No.115 Squadrons X3662 , KO 'P' for popsie got knock around a little and had riggers start doing a little work to it , very little information after this period but figured a paint is due and shortly like next few hours .

Course in New Zealand we were very proud of our No.75 Squadron , a unit gifted to the NZ by the United Kingdom due the gallant epics and in one case climbing out on the wing digging his claws so to speak in the fabric to put an engine fire out , this feat earned Sargent James Ward of Wanganui a VC :medals:.

This is not a great model , a lot of work can be done to bring it up to scratch , the Cockpit is what sold me on the model and always promise the history walky bouts and create / paint our NZ plane .. for starters figured the UK gets a look in first , waiting on relevant details for our NZ counterpart .. the above just need to get it to look more WAR weary tender love and care .

One thing i need to ask is how many off you Vickers Wellington Pilots found the MKIII look and operate like/look like a MK1C other than the Paints ... all III had the four gun rear turret .

Any other paints or attempt s at restoring this early WWII Bomber to flightsim site or any other ?

Cheers Ian
www.nzff.org

DennyA
October 27th, 2013, 15:58
Arise, thread!

This is on sale at Just Flight right now, buy two FCS packages for $38. Is the FSX version in the package a native FSX SDK plane? (ie: DX10 compatible?)

Also, same question on the Lancaster, since that's what I'd probably pick up as the second plane. Thanks for any info!

My great uncle was an RCAF Wellington pilot in WW2. His plane was damaged in combat and he stayed with it to give his crew a chance to bail out, and then attempted to crash land it. Sadly, he didn't survive the landing.

Roger
October 27th, 2013, 16:41
Denny,
I have no problem with either in Dx10.

Ian Warren
October 27th, 2013, 17:58
Arise, thread!
My great uncle was an RCAF Wellington pilot in WW2. His plane was damaged in combat and he stayed with it to give his crew a chance to bail out, and then attempted to crash land it. Sadly, he didn't survive the landing.
Denny , I re-installed , had a WIP changing textures and sorts , if you have the aircraft details your uncle flew .. maybe a photo , but if not i could research it for you then you have a connection . :medals:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

DennyA
October 27th, 2013, 22:19
Thanks, Rog! Purchased and downloading both planes now.

Ian, I don't have any photos or details of the specific plane he flew. His name was Pilot Officer Franklin Benedict Morgan. RCAF officer who flew for 38 Squadron RAF.

From his brother's biography:
"On the night of July 13, 1942, Frank and his crew successfully completed a bombing run on Tobruk in North Africa. Their aircraft fuel tanks were shot up and the aircraft was blown off course by adverse weather conditions. With flight petrol tanks registering almost empty, Frank ordered his crew to bail out. He insisted on staying with the plane in order to bring it down safely. The plane crashed north of Cairo. Frank was taken from the scene to #13 Scottish General Hospital, where he died of multiple wounds on the following day."

He'd been shot down once before, on Oct. 20, 1941, after bombing Bremen. They had just dropped a 4,000 pound bomb (!) and they were attacked by German night fighters. The attack caused fuel leaks and they did a forced landing on choppy waters in the North Sea. The entire crew managed to cram into a single dinghy, and they spent 12 hours floating around and freezing until a fighter spottend them and circled them until they could be rescued. According to his logs it was the first time an entire crew had been rescued after a forced sea landing.

Also just found this page, which lists his squadron: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/virtualmem/detail/2209540

Ian Warren
October 28th, 2013, 01:14
Denny , I'm sure i can get something close - 38 Squadron is the starting point :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

DennyA
October 30th, 2013, 19:22
That would be amazing, Ian! Thanks so much for for looking into it. There's a 38th Sq. paint scheme in the default package, but it's a couple of years earlier in the war.

Ian Warren
October 30th, 2013, 20:33
That would be amazing, Ian! Thanks so much for for looking into it. There's a 38th Sq. paint scheme in the default package, but it's a couple of years earlier in the war.
Looked at many schemes they all appear of 38 Squad but b/w photos and same only difference was the lowering tone of the markings on the wings and lower to mid fuselage painted black - some have serial numbers and others void .

The squadron then moved to the Med and even operated Merlin X powered Wimpys in same unit which appears to be weird , then went to maritime role in mid late 1942 , its finding details and even logbook info or even the aircraft serial that will help .

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">