PDA

View Full Version : CFS2 mobile - integrated & dedicated video

Jaxon
November 7th, 2012, 15:18
Well, I am still fiddling to run CFS2 with the dedicated video card on my Laptop.

Win 8 works fine for me, except I can only choose the integrated video card (Intel HD 4000) within CFS2.
CFS2 works right out of the box, but even a run in a WinXP SP3 surrounding is offered by WIn8 (but not needed).

I have searched the web and read lots of forums. Already in Win7 appeared this problem:

Some games like CFS2 only offer the default video card with its latest or even hacked drivers in its own settings menue
A second one is not listed.

What I have tried as workaround:

1) Choose to start CFS2 from the NVIDIA menu
The dedicated video card by NVIDIA comes with a huge UserInterface, which allows to choose every ???.exe to run with the dedicated video card.
Well, sounds good - but CFS2 accepts only the intergrated one so far and the game hangs up.

2) Choosing the dedicated card as default preffered one within the NVIDIA menu
No change, CFS2 only offers the Intel version

3) Disabling the integrated Intel card in the systems manager
A very basic Microsoft video driver is used instead for the desktop use.
Interesting is, that the cFS2 menu hast still the integrated Intel video card listed (but nothing (resolution, Anti-aliasing etc.) can be selected

Is it possible, CFS2 is not using the default video card, but simply just the first one found/listed in a system.
And thus in alphabetical oder unfortunatly Intel => Microsoft =>NVIDIA my wanted NVIDIA one will always be last?

If so, how to change this?
Is it possible to just rename one of the folders & reorder the registry entries, so CFS2 finds (and hopefully offers!) the NVIDIA version first??

I look forward to your comments & tips!

Jaxon
December 4th, 2012, 05:41
Just a feedback if in the future anyone will have the same problem:

Both Vid cards act together. In simple words, the more powerful NVIDIA Card is using the internal INTEL one also to send out the picture to the screen.
It is not possible to 'USE' just the NVIDIA card, but you can just use the Intel one.

However,, NVIDIA regularly releases upadted drivers. These come with recommended settings for several games and programs.
In the meantime, also CFS2 is among these. It helps alot, because with many of the possible adjustments one would be lost to choose the correct setting.

The appearance on the screen is as fine again, as it was on my old screen - bot now with a much higher resolution of 1600x900.

What still bothers me are the framerates.

Fullscreen they are around 40fps in an empty environment and drop to around 20fps in a training dogfight without much scenery.
That is more or less the same, I had on my 7 year old Laptop.

But, that old one was running overclocked and pedal kicked down at full speed for this result.
The new one is more ore less idling at 30% CPU power during this:

Does anyone know, how I can use the full power of my new system?