PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovered the Captain Sim C-130...

ColoKent
November 7th, 2012, 10:51
...I forgot how nice this airplane is-- considering it's about 2004 vintage. There are two things I dislike about it however:

1. It can't be turned on the ground without the wings tipping and dipping ridiculously-- even at slow (15 knots) speed. Does anyone know of a tweak to the .air or cfg file I can made that will get rid of this? It looks REALLY lame.

2. The exhaust smoke is controlled by the I key....and it's too heavy for a turboprop. Does anyone know how to integrate the smoke into throttle movements, and is there a way to vary the darkness of the smoke with throttle setting (almost none at idle, heavier as you push the throttles up).

Thanks!

Kent

FSN
November 7th, 2012, 11:41
The CS130 was always a big favorite for me. I don't remember using the smoke function, always had a nice light exhaust effect when the throttle was up. I do remember spending countless hours practicing landing it on the carrier back in the FLight Sim Nation Days.

http://youtu.be/4eBC2TvcGFk

http://youtu.be/qA9uzVekDRM?hd=1

FAC257
November 7th, 2012, 13:30
The CS C-130 has never dropped out of the top ten most flight hours flown aircraft in my logbook.

Even though it was one of the earliest ready for FSX aircraft it's still a classic and a must have IMO.

+1 On the exhaust being tied to the throttle on my end. I've never had to use "I" key.

FAC

ST0RM
November 7th, 2012, 15:46
Love the CS Herks. The only thing I dislike is the VC. Despite having the C-130J, all of the pits are old E-models.

Other than that, it's great.

-Jeff

rcbarend
November 7th, 2012, 16:12
...I forgot how nice this airplane is-- considering it's about 2004 vintage. There are two things I dislike about it however:

1. It can't be turned on the ground without the wings tipping and dipping ridiculously-- even at slow (15 knots) speed. Does anyone know of a tweak to the .air or cfg file I can made that will get rid of this? It looks REALLY lame.

2. The exhaust smoke is controlled by the I key....and it's too heavy for a turboprop. Does anyone know how to integrate the smoke into throttle movements, and is there a way to vary the darkness of the smoke with throttle setting (almost none at idle, heavier as you push the throttles up).

Thanks!

Kent

I don't have this aircraft myself, but I can comment on 2.

I'm surprised to hear that smoke control (on/off that is, based on throttle and/or actual thrust) wasn't automated.
Because auto-smoke control gauges (in general: effects control gauges) go back to FS2000/FS2002.

As to changing color of smoke depending on throttle (or actual thrust): no, not possible.
Effect files (like Smoke) are static in FSX; i.e. can only be switched on or off based on a certain condition; but the visual effect itself cannot be dynamically changed.

Rob

kilo delta
November 8th, 2012, 08:48
No problem with the smoke on my CS C130's either. It's still an excellent sim, only let down by the low res vc textures, compared to more recent releases. Here's hoping that the Herc receives a Hi Def makeover sometime.

Warrant
November 8th, 2012, 09:35
Remains to be one of my favorite planes!

Emile
November 8th, 2012, 20:43
Hello,
I also love this C-130, but the 2D cockpit is too complicated and I connot replace the original 2D cockpit with a more simple one.
Recommendations?
Thanks in advance

mfitch
November 8th, 2012, 21:15
This is a fun plane if you have time.

Chris Sykes
November 8th, 2012, 23:52
Hi for some reason you need to jump into the 2d panel and back to the VD to get the auto smoke working.

expat
November 9th, 2012, 04:38
One of the best. Fun to land at St Barts with full damage on in one piece!

Barnes
November 9th, 2012, 07:27
No problem with the smoke on my CS C130's either. It's still an excellent sim, only let down by the low res vc textures, compared to more recent releases. Here's hoping that the Herc receives a Hi Def makeover sometime.

I agree - I love all the CS 130s i have in the hangar

flibinite
November 9th, 2012, 07:36
You can adjust the contact points - widen them, to make the aircraft more stable on the ground. Here's a link to the full MS list of aircraft.cfg parameters: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx#mozTocId836373. I've always been hesitant to monkey with these settings; like you I found the CS130 too tippy on the ground, but to date my solution has been to taxi slowly and apply a lot of aileron to counteract the roll.

FSN
November 9th, 2012, 07:40
I always kinda liked the handling on ground, feels like some weight behind it. Like flibinite I just taxi a bit slower and tap er cool on the corners.

mfitch
November 9th, 2012, 22:09
After playing with this a bit more I was reminded that engine smoke can be turned on and off with the "Aircraft Configuration Editor." This is done per model/livery.