PDA

View Full Version : plane car collide

limjack
November 5th, 2012, 07:49
http://autos.aol.com/article/plane-collides-with-car-on-approach-to-texas-runway/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl28%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D230016

jim

Daveroo
November 5th, 2012, 08:05
man...all kinds of bells and alarms go off for me on this one,the woman in the SUV,who may well have been in shock in the moment,diening they pulled in front of a landing aircraft ,just screams lawsuit to me....im sure the man and woman in the suv will sue the airport and the pilot ,airport for not having appropriate signage ( even though its a private road) and the pilot for not taking evasive action....(even though he says he never saw the car),but bottomline,,listen to the tone of voice,and the body language of the couple from the SUV........

aeromed202
November 5th, 2012, 09:46
Planes and cars don't mix. Looks like the pilot was pretty nose up dragging himself to the strip until pitching down a moment before the impact, just a second to see what he was about to hit. Might well be he was too occupied and had less than the usual ground visibility over the nose.

stiz
November 5th, 2012, 10:39
they said it was his first solo landing n all, talk about bad luck!

and considering theres another car driving across when the plane is only a little further out, i'd blame lack of signage, if all there is is a faded "STOP" painted on the road just around a bend, its no real surprise people miss it. And when you consider theres trees along the side of the road that they approached from blocking the view. Personally, i think the airport management is to blame rather than the pilot and driver for not making it really obvious your about to enter an active approach, sorry but painting "STOP" on the road just isnt enough.

Willy
November 5th, 2012, 10:42
Yep, a Airplane Crossing sign is needed there...

kilo delta
November 5th, 2012, 11:28
I bet the folks in the SUV were glad they weren't driving a convertible that day!

wbuchart
November 5th, 2012, 16:47
I bet the folks in the SUV were glad they weren't driving a convertible that day!

Kinda looks like they are now.....:mixedsmi:

I can only joke about this because no one was hurt, just shaken.....

srgalahad
November 5th, 2012, 18:03
This one made the news and we may hear the final story. Some don't make the news...

Back in the day - when Canadair was building the CF-104, the standard departure from Cartierville was Rwy 28. The 104 would lift off and climb out northwest.

Occasionally a test pilot would delay the climb, or the afterburner light-off for one of multiple reasons (you can think of some). The story goes that one day, on one such departure, a 5-ton stake truck with a canvas top was passing along the -public- road that wraps around the threshold of Rwy 10 [right center of pic.].
Timing perfect... 104 AB lights and a/c pitches up right over the road and the :icon30:truck). Pilot's oblivious, driver is traumatized and doesn't realize the smoke he sees in the mirror is his canvas:ichile:

A week or so later there are a set of traffic lights installed on the road on both sides of the centerline with the control switch in the tower...

srgalahad
November 5th, 2012, 18:09
and then there is this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2JM27LGwd4&feature=fvsr

limjack
November 5th, 2012, 18:28
I used to love sitting at the end of the runway by the roadside watching planes land. This has got me rethinking not such a good idea. One of my favorite spots kpdx, runway 21, when the south wind is blowing. Those planes come right over you and you can feel the heat from the engines. Crazy stuff but exhilarating.

Jim

luckydog
November 5th, 2012, 19:31
I used to love sitting at the end of the runway by the roadside watching planes land. This has got me rethinking not such a good idea. One of my favorite spots kpdx, runway 21, when the south wind is blowing. Those planes come right over you and you can feel the heat from the engines. Crazy stuff but exhilarating.

Jim

Old Denver Stapleton.......East-West runway......East side......

gradyhappyg
November 5th, 2012, 21:25
Gee I thought this was a joke like this one.

“I called my wife up on the cell phone and said baby you aint gonna believe this, i go, we just hit a deer with the airplane. and there was a silence on the other end of the line followed by.. OH MY GOD.! were you on the ground? I said nope, santa was makin one last run.. ”
― Bill Engvall (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/author/show/361923.Bill_Engvall), Here's Your Sign! (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/work/quotes/1413242)

Brian_Gladden
November 6th, 2012, 08:27
To add insult to injury, I read this morning that the pilot was on his first solo. (might account for the nose high attitude) and due to the trauma of the incident, he will not be continuing his flight training.

n4gix
November 6th, 2012, 10:21
I've been waiting for some television moron (excuse me I mean Newscaster) to ask "why they haven't made that a "four-way stop" intersection?..." :isadizzy:

pilottj
November 6th, 2012, 10:54
I feel bad for the pilot, I remember soloing and having my jitters, I hope he reconsiders after he has a chance to let this settle. True his approach was bit low, but the SUV could have been more vigilant while driving around a runway end. Hopefully this incident will prompt the road owner to improve the signage.

Speaking of low approaches, our favorite SXM is an accident waiting to happen. As fun as it is to get buzzed by a 747, it does encourage hotdogging. Sooner or later someone is going to take out the fence or more. This 727 clearly touched down before the threshold. It isn't like he was flying in a 747 at max landing weight, trying to put it on the numbers...a 727 has plenty of room at SXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TneiSAv3ylQ

Dain Arns
November 6th, 2012, 10:57
DHL Caravan is working on it too....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LsQfUEoLFt4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>