PDA

View Full Version : Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk available

Pages : [1] 2

flaviossa
November 5th, 2012, 03:07
Just a HU for you guys that Virtavia A-4 is available in simmarket. Just got mine. :salute:

http://secure.simmarket.com/virtavia-a-4-skyhawk-fsx-%28pt_6825%29.phtml

ZsoltB
November 5th, 2012, 03:20
Thank you!

And plus paintkit: http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php?dir=/Paint%20Kits

:applause:

jeansy
November 5th, 2012, 04:45
Guys can i get some more info please

after reading the description, is there a load out manager? or is it multiples of the several paints with various load outs? or 26 different models

flaviossa
November 5th, 2012, 04:52
For the description in the product page, there are 26 models with their loadouts (With a different FDE for each version). I´ll test it tonight and can give more feedback (Or another guy that buy it can give the answer first).
@zsolt: Waiting for your excelent paints for this one :ernae:

Victory103
November 5th, 2012, 07:09
Waiting for both Scooters to hit the market. Surprised about the lack of a load out manager, seems to be the norm now with other FSX military model developers. Guess I can go back to adding drop-able objects to the saved flight file.

skyhawka4m
November 5th, 2012, 07:36
SOLD!!!!!! This as you can tell from my user name is the plane I have been waiting for......THANK YOU Virtavia for an accurately shaped A-4!!!

fsafranek
November 5th, 2012, 09:47
There are 22 different visual models (E/F/G versions and various loadouts). That combined with the different schemes comes to 26 aircraft to choose from. There is no load out manager, just your mouse clicking among all those thumbnail images.

The paint kit has been out since last week but no one noticed or said anything. Textures are kept in the root (clean) model folder and then linked back to via the cfg files. Sounds complicated but it really isn't. But it does mean the repainters are going to have to slow down and put together some decent documentation. As soon as I get the documentation written I'll upload this one. Several more in the works as well.

:ernae:

flaviossa
November 5th, 2012, 09:55
Thanks mr. Frank! Already bought it. Will fly tonight. I know it´s not the right version, but if you (Or any skilled repainter of our comunity) can squeeze a brazilian navy one in the repaint workline, it would be very nice :ernae:

jeansy
November 5th, 2012, 10:33
There are 22 different visual models (E/F/G versions and various loadouts). That combined with the different schemes comes to 26 aircraft to choose from. There is no load out manager, just your mouse clicking among all those thumbnail images.

thanks frank for the clarification

Ian Warren
November 5th, 2012, 11:31
In with a grin ... :icon_lol:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

skyhawka4m
November 5th, 2012, 11:42
Anyone else getting this? I started getting it after I installed the A-4. Just the warning...not the back textures.....I am beginning work on repaints so....thats whats up with the textures.

jojohnson9
November 5th, 2012, 11:57
Anyone else getting this? I started getting it after I installed the A-4. Just the warning...not the back textures.....I am beginning work on repaints so....thats whats up with the textures.

This problem is addressed at the beginning of the manual...easy key click fix.

Sieggie
November 5th, 2012, 12:25
This bird available anywhere besides simmarket?

Dave

noddy
November 5th, 2012, 12:50
75015 75016

Just two quick shots.

Roger
November 5th, 2012, 13:19
This bird available anywhere besides simmarket?

Dave

See their site: http://www.virtavia.com/

fsafranek
November 5th, 2012, 13:36
See their site: http://www.virtavia.com/
It was uploaded to all four of the stores listed at the top of the Virtavia website.
So it's a matter of how fast they add new products. simMarket just got a jump
on the rest. If you prefer a different store it may be there later today or tomorrow.

Sieggie
November 5th, 2012, 13:52
It was uploaded to all four of the stores listed at the top of the Virtavia website.
So it's a matter of how fast they add new products. simMarket just got a jump
on the rest. If you prefer a different store it may be there later today or tomorrow.

I went to the other links and it was not on any of them. I guess I will wait another day or two and see when they are available.

Thanks,

Dave

Ian Warren
November 5th, 2012, 14:13
:icon_lol:My four favoured stores , now were is the food supermarket again ..... i just don't remember :eek:

Now were is my USS Enterprise .. little chick incoming :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Roadburner440
November 5th, 2012, 14:17
Sweet! This is definately a must have.. Probably wait till the weekend to buy it though when I actually get time to fly. Loadout thing isn't to big of a deal to me, but I mainly fly either clean birds or with drop tanks only. Guess if I was changing out weapons all the time it would be different.

flaviossa
November 5th, 2012, 15:00
Amazing little bird:
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2012/11/05/pn5Fj.jpg

Interesting that with a full load it´s very hard to gain altitude. Nice FDE in my opinion :applause:

Ian Warren
November 5th, 2012, 15:06
I have to get in contact with Phil , Frank and the rest off the team .. A Volume 2 is a defined requirement .. a TA-4 the 'T-Bird' , .. Course this one has more New Zealand relation in regard to 'Gs' .. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! .. A little/few external cosmetics ...

Frig .. they call them small .. well they are but you go stand beside one .. I think all New Zealand's and Wigram's Museum can be applicable to all variants .. I can get access to both .. Guys you listen ;)<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

mal998
November 5th, 2012, 15:55
Flaviossa,
It's odd that you are having a problem gaining altitude, even with a full load. Make sure the autopilot is not engaged otherwise you will be fighting the altitude hold function.

mal

skyhawka4m
November 5th, 2012, 16:33
Hey MAL.....I'm having some side slip issues on turns and banks. Might be that the flight model is supposed to be that way but just want to let ya know.

Here's my first WIP repaint.....one of hoepfully MANY!

mal998
November 5th, 2012, 16:55
What do you mean when you say side slip? Can you be more specific. As always make sure you have calibrated your controller.

skyhawka4m
November 5th, 2012, 17:56
I will double check and calibarate my controller. what I mean is.....for example...it seems like on final it is very hard to line up unless you go out on like a 3 mile final, if I don't do that I have to use a load of rudder just to keep it straight.....is that normal for the A-4? I honestly don't know.

And update on ym repaint....just the wings and some details to go.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/169904_4425013756618_600856284_o.jpg

MenendezDiego
November 5th, 2012, 18:46
Absolutely love the A-4! One of the most comfortable cockpits I've ever been in!

The Collins Foundation has one if anyone ever wants to go for a ride! I'll have to pick this baby up soon.

Great work! Diego

yankeeromeo
November 5th, 2012, 23:09
hello FOlks,

really like this jet, would love to have it but how is the VC and the lighting comparing to the Milviz F86 ?
thanks for your comments.
:icon29:

flaviossa
November 6th, 2012, 03:13
Hello mal998, thanks for the info, but maybe i wrote not so clear about the diffcult climb with the bird. In fact i gained altitude in the end but at a tiny rate and low airspeed even with almost 100% thrust (It was my first flight). If i forced it a little more i went in pre-stall (Accufeel worked pretty well in here). I´m sure the ap was not on at the moment. Maybe the problem was the wind at the time, i´ll try again.

Does Virtavia has a dedicated forum for this questions? Or it´s ok to continue posting here? I don´t think it´s a support case (Email), just a conversation about proper operation of the plane :salute:

mal998
November 6th, 2012, 04:05
If I can help to resolve minor issues, I don't have a problem discussing flight modelling here.

Technical issues should be referred to Virtavia.

Don't forget to have a look at the manual.

skyhawka4m
November 6th, 2012, 04:19
Thanks for your help Mal......trust me when I say that I am in no way trying to create a none issue. I have been flying the skyhawk and getting a better feel for it. I just think that you have so closely modeled the real jet that it is just going to take a little time to learn how to handle it. Like the real pilots say...its a stick and rudder jet...not a digital fly by wire jet.

mal998
November 6th, 2012, 05:16
Skyhawk,
Even though she was stick and rudder, this plane is still very agile and requires a light touch on the controls. Pilots reported having to "get use" to centering the stick because the control forces were so light and sensitive.

Here is an excerpt from Budd Davisson's A-4 Pilot's flight report,

"I can't begin to tell anybody how incredibly stupid I felt when I placed my (so I thought) well-trained hand upon the stick and couldn't even hold level flight! Just the pressure of my hand holding the stick sent the airplane into a three-dimensional gyration that probably had Lt. Patton in gales of laughter. Control pressures? There aren't any. None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. And the travel of the stick could be measured in micro-something-or-others. I'm here to tell you that no matter what I've flown that was supposed to be sensitive, nothing, absolutely nothing, holds a candle to this thing. It makes a Pitts (and I'm not kidding a bit) look like you need two hands to make it turn."

JohnC
November 6th, 2012, 06:46
I will double check and calibarate my controller. what I mean is.....for example...it seems like on final it is very hard to line up unless you go out on like a 3 mile final, if I don't do that I have to use a load of rudder just to keep it straight.....is that normal for the A-4? I honestly don't know.

It's been a long time since I looked at my A-4 NATOPs (was thinking about modeling one years ago), but if I can remember correctly the directional stability starts to drop off at approach AoA and the nose tends to drift away from center. I'd also wager the A-4 has a pretty serious rudder-roll tendency (1st order, i.e. differential airflow over the h-stab from rudder deflection). Both of those would add up to create a moderate challenge on final. I don't have the Virtavia A-4 (yet), so no idea how that applies to the current offering.

skyhawka4m
November 6th, 2012, 07:09
Sounds good to me guys.....seeing as how much the A-4 means to me and my hobby....I am goign to be doing alot of flying getting used to her!

fox18delta
November 6th, 2012, 08:11
Lots of info here;

http://a4skyhawk.org/

ST0RM
November 6th, 2012, 08:22
Sadly, still not up mcuh anywhere else. I'd like to grab them at PCAviator since it's 10% off Tuesday. Even the Pilotshop doesnt have them posted, but pushing the Razbam Scooters hard for $5
:(

Barfly
November 6th, 2012, 09:06
This is a great rendition of the Skyhawk - the VC is very, very high quality, the exterior looks correct as mentioned before, and it has a great flight feel to it. It does seem to have normal yaw damping at high speed (500 knts) and slightly oddly insufficient yaw damping at around less than 250 knots - it feels a lot like an early Tomcat in that respect. And it could use some aoa based rudder roll also as mentioned previously. Other than those two minor items, it flies great and seems to really represent the type well, as far as I know :)

skyhawka4m
November 6th, 2012, 11:18
Thanks Barfly.....sounds like you found what I have been seeing.....below 250

Ian Warren
November 6th, 2012, 11:49
I'm loving this so much i have not had the chance to take screens , well i have but to get em posted .. now its time to find my Carrier ! :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

StormILM
November 6th, 2012, 11:59
Another point about the stability of the A-4 that I learned from one of my books on the Blue Angels is that the A-4 suffered from a bit of asymmetric slat deployment at High G/AoA. The slat deployment wasn't a full "1 in/1 out" asymmetry, but rather uneven back and forth extension/retraction. This would cause a bit of wobble during maneuvering which the pilot had to be cognizant/careful of. The Blues did away with the slats on their A-4F's by bolting them in the closed position to afford better stability for their precision routine. From what I gather, there wasn't much difference or penalty in the low speed/AoA handling without the slats. Of course on a loaded A-4 going on an off a carrier, the slats are a must

Ian Warren
November 6th, 2012, 17:07
Still having so much fun .... landing on USS Enterprise .. can't find my wing fold switch :icon_lol:............... :running:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

StormILM
November 6th, 2012, 18:57
It's still only available at Simmarket. I prefer FS Pilot shop or PC Aviator. Guess will have to wait a bit before they finally show there.

Montie
November 7th, 2012, 03:32
It's still only available at Simmarket. I prefer FS Pilot shop or PC Aviator. Guess will have to wait a bit before they finally show there.

Yes me too, Simmarket tend to take a little more profit from the purchase than others.

fsafranek
November 7th, 2012, 06:19
Spotted at FS Pilot Shop (http://www.fspilotshop.com/virtavia-skyhawk-p-3931.html) this morning.

skyhawka4m
November 7th, 2012, 08:15
Yes me too, Simmarket tend to take a little more profit from the purchase than others.

Are they all paid in the same currency?

Montie
November 7th, 2012, 08:24
Are they all paid in the same currency?

No at Simmarket all transactions are done i euro's. But comparing the two, Simmarket takes what equals to 51.35 USD and PilotShop takes 42.50 USD.

Felixthreeone
November 7th, 2012, 09:26
$43 bucks???!!?? Really!!??!!! Gimme a break. Really.

peter12213
November 7th, 2012, 09:54
We've wanted a good Skyhwak model for quite some time and I'm glad to have her and no disrespect intended but this is a tad expensive, 39 Euro for a steam gauge jet is a touch high, comparing to the price of a VRS Hornet is only 7 euros more at is market.

fallenphoenix1986
November 7th, 2012, 10:51
Didn't want to be the first to say it but to be honest I feel the same. To be fair I missed the bit about the functioning radar and had been expecting the usual simplified avionics of older Virtavia/Alpha models. Frankly 39E is in my view too much for whats on offer, FS pilot shop is more reasonable at around 32E, still going to think about it as I only really want the G model.

Craig

skyhawka4m
November 7th, 2012, 10:55
Well being a huge A-4 fan....was worth every penny to me. thank you Virtavia!

flaviossa
November 7th, 2012, 11:16
It´s a bit over priced i agree, but it´s a joy to fly (Had a problem with a underpowered climb, but i think it was the conditions of the flight), a very well done vc with multiple workking systems and a very nice model. Maybe lack of more paints (International ones, like Israel, Argentina,Singapura,Indonesia,Brazil, etc...) I´m very satisfied with this purchase.

skyhawka4m
November 7th, 2012, 11:21
It´s a bit over priced i agree, but it´s a joy to fly (Had a problem with a underpowered climb, but i think it was the conditions of the flight), a very well done vc with multiple workking systems and a very nice model. Maybe lack of more paints (International ones, like Israel, Argentina,Singapura,Indonesia,Brazil, etc...) I´m very satisfied with this purchase.

Paints are coming....trust me! If they flew the E or F models I will do my best to get more done! I will only do aircraft that are as some say "prototypical" in other hobbies.

Barfly
November 7th, 2012, 13:59
I was hoping for a Super Fox adversary paint! So I can scare the crap outta unsuspecting squids who think I can't go vertical with 'em :)

thefrog
November 7th, 2012, 14:11
It's now up at PC Aviator $42.50 (10% discount on Tuesdays)
Regards
Dave

ST0RM
November 7th, 2012, 15:43
Hoping for some NATC red/white test schemes.

Looking forward to the schemes.

-Jeff

PRB
November 7th, 2012, 15:43
We've wanted a good Skyhwak model for quite some time and I'm glad to have her and no disrespect intended but this is a tad expensive, 39 Euro for a steam gauge jet is a touch high, comparing to the price of a VRS Hornet is only 7 euros more at is market.

Well, the fact that it's a "steam gauge" jet is a + in the "buy/don't buy" calculus, to some people, including me. The only "fancy-pants wide screen TV" jet I ever paid money for was the VRS Super-Bug (for FS9), and that was because I worked on it in another life and wanted to see how well they did with it. I love the steam gauges. All that said, it's only over-priced if you decide it is. :) This A-4 looks really nice, and I have been having a "buy/don't buy" argument with myself over this one since this thread started. I may loose the argument... :icon_lol:

sarwulf
November 7th, 2012, 16:50
When applying wheel brakes upon landing, does anyone else think it a bit loud and screechy (inside the cockpit sound)? Never having flown the A-4 or any other fighter, I don't really know how loud this would be inside the cockpit. This plane is a joy to fly by the way.

Barfly
November 7th, 2012, 18:03
I think they were going for brake 'howl' with moderate to hard brake pressure, but it sounds more like grinding metal / a radial arm saw. It's not bad though, lol.

Butcherbird17
November 7th, 2012, 18:07
Was just watching this on Youtube, think its perfect for this a/c.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lkuu4e3kdC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joe

skyhawka4m
November 7th, 2012, 20:53
Hoping for some NATC red/white test schemes.

Looking forward to the schemes.

-Jeff

This one will be done.....

skyhawka4m
November 7th, 2012, 20:55
I was hoping for a Super Fox adversary paint! So I can scare the crap outta unsuspecting squids who think I can't go vertical with 'em :)

Keep in mind the Super Fx had the hotdog on the tail which they have not modeled. I'd be glad to do one with the understanding it won't be 100% model accurate.

Ian Warren
November 7th, 2012, 23:56
Keep in mind the Super Fx had the hotdog on the tail which they have not modeled. I'd be glad to do one with the understanding it won't be 100% model accurate.
We need to keep building the interest .. maybe entice the Virtavia crew to look at a T-bird or even a square tailed later model , one young Kiwi has painter has completed a RNZAF albeit as you said it won't be 100% model accurate , but it is a start , ill be looking forward to Kade's download link shortly , not sure were its going to be posted but guessing flightsim.com :cool:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

kcgb
November 8th, 2012, 01:33
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae82/kcgb/1-101.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae82/kcgb/2-73.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae82/kcgb/2-74.jpg

mal998
November 8th, 2012, 06:05
Looks like a missing textures issue. Anyone else seeing this?

Please report any issues to: tech.support@virtavia.com

skyhawka4m
November 8th, 2012, 07:12
Hmmm.....now I will have to do some looking but I haven't sen any? what texture?

ST0RM
November 8th, 2012, 08:33
This one will be done.....

Excellent! Thanks.

-Jefj

mjrhealth
November 8th, 2012, 09:58
Bought it, love it. love the old steam gauges, worth every cent, Had my first flight, hopefully tonight to try some carrier ops. Now all we need is a HMAS Melbourne and all will be sweet.

As i said on another forum, I like to know where I am going, not being told where I am supposed to be.

fliger747
November 8th, 2012, 10:10
Had a couple of friends who flew Ed Heineman's classic design. He was quoted "Simplicate and add lightness!". The idea being that every pound of basic weight growth added about 10 lbs aircraft gross weight.
Nnaval Aviator and did her carrier quals in one, Lexington. How number one tucked himself in there made me wonder as he must have been at least 6' 3".

T

Warrant
November 8th, 2012, 11:06
The bird looks excellent, but the cost is a bit too high for the moment. I'll wait either till the price drops or i get too dazzled by repaints and tweaks and get dragged over the line to purchase anyway.

Great job on the bird, it really is a piece of art!

kcgb
November 8th, 2012, 12:46
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae82/kcgb/3-53.jpg

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/...-green-skyhawk/ (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/3322-rnzaf-dark-green-skyhawk/)

mal998
November 8th, 2012, 13:41
OK kcgb, I give up. What exactly are you trying to show us?

kcgb
November 8th, 2012, 14:13
Read the post above my first one -_-

SeanTK
November 8th, 2012, 15:09
Read the post above my first one -_-

Well, I for one appreciate seeing this RNZAF livery! It may entice me to part with my cash to buy this addon! Looks great!

One note though, at the time of this writing, your link to download the repaint is throwing up an error.

jeansy
November 8th, 2012, 15:48

Mal

hes done one of these

http://www.nzwarbirds.org.nz/SkyhawkNZWB.jpg

Ian Warren
November 8th, 2012, 15:58
3rd of August 1984 the RNZAF brought the Australian ex RAN Skyhawks , least lest 10 airworthy and formed No.2 squadron at the cost of AU$1,500,000 for 8 'G' and AU$3,000,000 for the TA-G . All these aircraft were painted in this similar scheme .

They kept their rounded tails until they went thru an upgrade called the Kahu project between 1986-1991 , upgrading the fleet with basicly F-16 avionics and had a revised tail common to RNZAFs A4k s .

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ian Warren
November 8th, 2012, 19:32
Now really throws it in me memory case , looks just the part - over RealNZ Auckland .. Nice one Kade :cool:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/2-20.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/1-29.jpg
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

fsafranek
November 8th, 2012, 19:43
Now really throws it in me memory case , looks just the part - over RealNZ Auckland .. Nice one Kade :cool:
I like the aged look to the images. Very cool.

Ian Warren
November 9th, 2012, 00:55
Thank you Frank :cool: It the next one by Kade thats going to be a little corker , two tone 1980s with a little red in it :icon_lol:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

expat
November 9th, 2012, 01:31
As this release comprises Vietnam era air frames, I am hoping for some repaints for wartime carrier ops (with some subtle weathering/dirt):

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/783/pics/3_150.png
http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/783/pics/3_140.png
http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/783/pics/3_155.png
http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/783/pics/3_7_b1.png

skyhawka4m
November 9th, 2012, 02:18
As this release comprises Vietnam era air frames, I am hoping for some repaints for wartime carrier ops (with some subtle weathering/dirt):

Stay tuned sir!

Warhawk1130
November 9th, 2012, 07:09
Stay tuned sir!

Skyhawk, you're as happy as I was when RAZBAM released the A-7 for FSX....glad you finally got what you wanted. Going to pick mine up soon...that is, if I can get any time to fly LOL.

skyhawka4m
November 9th, 2012, 12:20
Skyhawk, you're as happy as I was when RAZBAM released the A-7 for FSX....glad you finally got what you wanted. Going to pick mine up soon...that is, if I can get any time to fly LOL.

Well I will be honest....I have 2 vol's of the A-7 and will pick up the third for $5 on sale this weekend. After some time flying it I've got the hang of it. Just wish I had time to learn the weapons missions. anyway....I do love this A-4 for sure.! Many paints will be coming along for it too. :salute:

Warhawk1130
November 9th, 2012, 16:32
Well I will be honest....I have 2 vol's of the A-7 and will pick up the third for $5 on sale this weekend. After some time flying it I've got the hang of it. Just wish I had time to learn the weapons missions. anyway....I do love this A-4 for sure.! Many paints will be coming along for it too. :salute:

Well....repainting, huh? Could I request one for VA-195 when you get the time?

skyhawka4m
November 9th, 2012, 20:25
sure thing!

Here is my current one...not sure I'm gonna put it out there though as the stripe on the fuselage has some odd stretching to it and itsn't 100% correct. Still some work to go on it though. Actually...I would hope to be able to do about 5 paints of 151046 in various units including VMA-311 with no avionics hump, VMA-131 hi-viz and low-viz, and finally VC-1 in a two tone gray aggressor scheme.

ZsoltB
November 10th, 2012, 01:34
http://i.imgur.com/dElJr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SNxau.jpg

Ian Warren
November 10th, 2012, 01:55
:cool: Both you guys , Those A4's are looking great :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ferry_vO
November 10th, 2012, 03:00
No at Simmarket all transactions are done i euro's. But comparing the two, Simmarket takes what equals to 51.35 USD and PilotShop takes 42.50 USD.

That's because Simmarket needs to charge VAT to European customers since the company is based in Europe.. People from outside Europe do not need to pay taxes if they buy at Simmarket. Which is why I prefer to buy at other stores (In the USA or Australia) since I do not need to pay taxes there.

I like the look of this Skyhawk but will wait patiently until the next big Virtavia sale..

skyhawka4m
November 10th, 2012, 06:03
VERY NICE Zsoltquack.....one off my list!!

ZsoltB
November 10th, 2012, 06:07
http://i.imgur.com/Wuf6C.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9KYf1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BqLxp.jpg

And NAM addon: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=116

Ark
November 10th, 2012, 09:20
Any shine on the external cockpit glass (pet peeve of mine with some add-ons)?

The model looks awesome!

Montie
November 10th, 2012, 14:09
I really like the Scooter, it was the first model plane I assembled along with the F-4 and A-7. Trying out the paintkit:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Montie/FSX/a4wear.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Montie/FSX/a4w2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Montie/FSX/a4w3.jpg

Ian Warren
November 10th, 2012, 16:04
Montie , took me a why to buy a plastic kitset .. only one around back then was the humpless airfix model .. after a while succumbed to it .. but just did not look right compared to our humpy camels ... gone three decade now .. no hump .. crikey no skyhawks :icon_lol: BUGGER ME !

Great start on your paint :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

kdfw
November 10th, 2012, 21:04
Saw the A4 VC shot over at avsim, really looks nice. Does this thing have a collimated targeting reticle/HUD?

skyhawka4m
November 10th, 2012, 22:24
Just a little more tinkering......is anyone interested in this paint even with the stretching of the diamonds on the fuselage band? Can't se it in this angle but from overhead...a couple of the diamonds are rectangles.

mjrhealth
November 10th, 2012, 22:29
Havnt tried all the models yet, but the radar hits the FPS some. Looks like some nice repaints on the way

skyhawka4m
November 10th, 2012, 23:14
Havnt tried all the models yet, but the radar hits the FPS some. Looks like some nice repaints on the way

Yes it does.....ouch!

ZsoltB
November 11th, 2012, 02:06
It would be nice 3D light
Any idea?

ZsoltB
November 11th, 2012, 08:48
http://i.imgur.com/F9pFp.jpg

VCN-1
November 11th, 2012, 11:09
I am interested in any USN/USMC texture sets.

Please make them available!

VCN-1

ZsoltB
November 11th, 2012, 12:28
http://i.imgur.com/5aFm7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eCtr5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/o5tFF.jpg

Ark
November 11th, 2012, 19:12
Still not up at the FlightSim Store. grrr..

Ian Warren
November 11th, 2012, 19:37
VA-106 1968
Nice Zolt .. only thing missing is the ubiquitous 44 gallon drums a bitta ground equipment :cool:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

skyhawka4m
November 11th, 2012, 21:31
All done.....I will get it packaged up in a day or so based on feedback. Please keep in ind there is a small stretching issue with the textures on the side of the plane. I did the best I could with the diamond stripe, on top of the engine area it stretches the yellow diamond into a rectangle shape.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/178629_4451593501095_1093764455_o.jpg

ZsoltB
November 12th, 2012, 00:25
http://i.imgur.com/BIJF8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/maSBQ.jpg

ZsoltB
November 12th, 2012, 02:43
http://i.imgur.com/PIb17.jpg

VaporZ
November 12th, 2012, 03:17
For our TopGun repainters interested doing some "What If" repaints, here is a Hypotetical
History of the Skyhawk in Fleet Air Arm ( Royal Navy ) service from Jennings Heiling :

Part One
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/skyhawkinfaaservicejh_1.htm

Part Two
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/skyhawkinfaaservicejh_2.htm

Feel free to do all these colorfull "What If" repaints !

Thanks in advance !
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ

flaviossa
November 12th, 2012, 04:15
Nice paints mr Zsolt and mr skyhawka4m. Thanks for that! :ernae:

rfreeman11
November 12th, 2012, 10:50
First Time poster here guys, but since this seems to be the only place to talk about this Aircraft, here is as good as any. What are everyone's thoughts on the Flight Model? The given ref numbers in the manual seem off, when compared to the NATOPS. (Complete disclosure here, dad was an A-4 instructor pilot in Meridian, so I have the Natops and someone to bounce questions off.) Vrefs are off as are the approach speeds

Am I expecting to much out of the add-on?

skyhawka4m
November 12th, 2012, 11:14
I totally forgot I had a NATOPS here also......I may have to take a look also. I am hoping that the FDE is looked at.....it might be my PC but I get alot of side slip when making turns under 250kia, and coming out of the turn I get a pitch up in the nose.

rfreeman11
November 12th, 2012, 11:25
I totally forgot I had a NATOPS here also......I may have to take a look also. I am hoping that the FDE is looked at.....it might be my PC but I get alot of side slip when making turns under 250kia, and coming out of the turn I get a pitch up in the nose.

Seeing the same thing here. Also see a couple of instrument issues, need to get my ducks in a row before asking about those though.

mal998
November 12th, 2012, 14:35
Skyhawk,

Which aircraft have you been flying? Each aircraft has it's own flight model and it's own flight characteristics.

PM me your email and I'll send you a new modified airfile that has a bit more lateral stability. Hopefully that will improve your flight experience.

mal
Virtavia A-4E/F/G Flight Dynamisist

fsafranek
November 12th, 2012, 14:47
Spotted this youtube video on the Virtavia A-4.
A short formation flight from takeoff to landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15FpTqQ55go

Wings of Gold
November 12th, 2012, 15:46
Skyhawk,

Would you please tell me what weight you were flying at (either in pounds or as a percentage of the total gross weight). I have flown the clean and dual tank versions out to the ship and also done acrobatics with the aircraft - and am not experiencing anything that indicates a FDE issue. I do not have a NATOPS manual, but I do have several thousand hours flying for the NAV.

Bill

CG_1976
November 12th, 2012, 16:37
Well my wife who serves at GTMO NAS as Marine AVDET unit just asked me to purchase the Skyhawk and ask also if any painter will be doing the Brazil Skyhawk?

Warhawk1130
November 12th, 2012, 18:19
Spotted this youtube video on the Virtavia A-4.
A short formation flight from takeoff to landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15FpTqQ55go

That was made by Tom Loe at our FSX Miramar club....he loves formation flying...track IR nut...lol

skyhawka4m
November 12th, 2012, 20:23
Well my wife who serves at GTMO NAS as Marine AVDET unit just asked me to purchase the Skyhawk and ask also if any painter will be doing the Brazil Skyhawk?

I might be able to do one...but don't they only have A-4AR variants?

Ark
November 12th, 2012, 21:37
Picked it up last night. Great add-on!

Thanks, Virtavia!!

ZsoltB
November 13th, 2012, 01:29
http://i.imgur.com/CfnEY.jpg

skyhawka4m
November 13th, 2012, 09:56
Complete #1 repaint......I am going to do another 2 or 3 repaints from this unit and they will be put out as a package. this is a unit I hold close to me so these will be my first ones done.

CG_1976
November 13th, 2012, 09:59

I believe so. My wife would know better then me. She actually gets duty assignments once in a while in Brazil. I also noticed our resident memebr from Brazil posted in the 1st page thread #8 a similar req. Now if I wanted to pick a flight with my jar-headed wife lol I'd go to VC-10 Challengers who where based at MUGM NAS with the TA -4J Skyhawk. I think there is a living example at Robbins AFB last time I checked. I know the MUGM NAS Museum has one.

SkippyBing
November 14th, 2012, 03:56

No the A-4AR is exclusive to ARgentina, the Brazilian Navy fly updated A-4KU from KUwait, which are basically A-4Ms, which they refer to as AF-1 for some reason.

flaviossa
November 14th, 2012, 04:53
The name AF-1/AF-1A refer to the squadron named VF-1 in the brazilian navy. And yes, they are in fact A-4KU (AF-1) and TA-4KU(AF-1A) from Kuwait air force. Currently all the planes are been modernized by Embraer to make them possible to use BVR armament, more effective radar and integration with brazilian defense network.

Here is a little interesting video:
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c9301ydl20c" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2012, 11:07
Flaviossa , nice find great video , interesting to see them using, invited to a US carrier , the little Skyhawk would have been very happy to return to a super carrier deck :salute:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

jojohnson9
November 14th, 2012, 12:57
sure thing!

Here is my current one...not sure I'm gonna put it out there though as the stripe on the fuselage has some odd stretching to it and itsn't 100% correct. Still some work to go on it though. Actually...I would hope to be able to do about 5 paints of 151046 in various units including VMA-311 with no avionics hump, VMA-131 hi-viz and low-viz, and finally VC-1 in a two tone gray aggressor scheme.

Looking forward to this one. When I was stationed at NAS WilGro in the mid seventies I watched an A-4 from this unit make an unintentional wheels up landing. Minimum damage to the nose and wing tanks. Plane was flying again in a few days. I was told by one of the marines that this was the second time for the pilot....lost his wings after the investigation.

rfreeman11
November 15th, 2012, 06:53
Okay, back to playing with the A-4 after a few days of having to work. I have found a few issues with the AJB-3A First it doesn't look like the Bank Angle Indices work. Also not sure if this is too much but the ADI ball also backed up the compass, with heading numbers on the ball. Is anyone else seeing this?

Mach3DS
November 15th, 2012, 08:14
Looks like the bank indices are upside down.

hschuit
November 15th, 2012, 08:39
It would be nice 3D light
Any idea?
Looking for Shockwave 3D lights I guess? Change the aircraft.cfg [lights] as follows:

[Lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=Recog, 8=Wing, 9=Logo, 10=Cabin
//(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
//note: VC red lighting is supplied by textures, do not add a VC light here, it will make it too bright.
light.0 = 3, -5.30, -13.50, -1.00, fx_shockwave_navred
light.1 = 3, -5.30, 13.50, -1.00, fx_shockwave_navgre
light.2 = 3, -19.74, 0.00, 3.70, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.3 = 7, -4.50, -13.10, -1.00, fx_shockwave_navwhi ;recog lights
light.4 = 7, -4.50, 13.10, -1.00, fx_shockwave_navwhi ;recog lights
light.5 =10, 11.55, 0.00, 1.20, fx_vclightwhi ;white flood only
light.6 = 9, 7.35, 2.63, 0.85, fx_navred_as ;refuelling light
light.7 = 6, 3.90, 4.74, -4.10, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.8 = 6, 4.00, 4.74, -4.10, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old

Note: As the beacon lights are hardcoded into the MDL files (using the stock fx_beacon.fx), I did not "shockwave" them.

And add this line to the panel.cfg - [Vcockpit01] section:

gauge43=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi_gear, 1,1,1,1

Sorry for the late response but I just got the Skyhawk from PC Aviator with the Tuesday discount this week.

flaviossa
November 15th, 2012, 09:51
Thanks for 3d light code hschuit :salute:

skyhawka4m
November 16th, 2012, 11:56
next on my list is this aircraft.......have always loved these markings since I was a kid and building the Monogram A-4E kit. lots of stuff to still do......and resize.

a small update....done for the night....will try to complete this on over the weekend.

ZsoltB
November 16th, 2012, 12:28
Great repaint!!!

yankeeromeo
November 16th, 2012, 12:50
next on my list is this aircraft.......have always loved these markings since I was a kid and building the Monogram A-4E kit. lots of stuff to still do......and resize.

Excellent one, COngrtas:salute:
:icon29:

fsafranek
November 16th, 2012, 13:08

I built a couple of that kit long ago but never in the included markings. Those look really nice.

fsafranek
November 16th, 2012, 13:16
http://i.imgur.com/CfnEY.jpg
Oh well. That's what I get for going to the desert for a long weekend. :icon_lol:
Guess I'll change my nose munber.

Ian Warren
November 16th, 2012, 14:25

I also built this very same model .. that paint looks Brilliant :cool:

The RNZAF 1987 Shortly be a formation off four :salute:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/3-11.jpg

Wingnut172N
November 16th, 2012, 16:51
So...I bought this jet recently because I am a huge Skyhawk fanatic. I am also a Student Naval Aviator flying the T-45C Goshawk, so I have a little background for the comments to follow.

The simulated A-4 is almost impossible to fly in the carrier landing pattern. Here are the reasons why.

1. The AOA system is unusable. Real Navy airplanes are trimmed for an AOA (17 units in the Goshawk) and then held at that AOA while power is used for glide slope control. This 'Optimum AOA' corresponds to the 3-o-clock position on the AOA gauge (that's what that bold white mark indicates) and an amber doughnut on the indexer. It also corresponds to Vref (called 'on speed')...but the Navy flies AOA, not speed.

On the Virtavia A-4, the amber doughnut doesn't correspond to the 3-o-clock AOA, and both seem wrong. The amber doughnut shows too fast and the gauge shows too slow a speed.

The AOA indexer is also colored wrong. The top chevron should be green, and the bottom red. The devs need to learn how the system works so they can correct this. It's a complex system, but is essential to carrier operations.

Also, there is too much side slip in the approach config. It's IMPOSSIBLE to fly a 27 degree AOB approach turn and end up anywhere near the runway as currently simulated.

The most important instrument in the A-4 cockpit, the AJB-3 gyro (Abbajaba) is missing heading references and doesn't have working bank indices.

All together I'm pretty disappointed. The external model looks amazing, but unless the FDE and cockpit are fixed it looks like I wasted $43. I am willing to help fix the errors by explaining how the systems are supposed to work...if that would help.

Wingnut172N
November 16th, 2012, 19:42
The AOA indexers remain illuminated with weight on wheels (they should extinguish on touchdown)

The elevator trim lever in the cockpit is animated backwards

The lights turn on with all electrical power (batt and gen) removed?

The attitude gyro doesn't work properly at all. It's possible to get it to show a nose down attitude, when the jet is nose up in a turn.

Auto throttles work sometimes, and other times don't work at all

WHO BETA TESTED THIS THING?????!!!!!!!

skyhawka4m
November 16th, 2012, 20:02
Hopefully we can get someone to address these issues....but the FDE does need some tweaking for sure. I have been sent a new one for one of the models and its a little better but the side slip is still occuring on banks especially when airspeed are below 225 knots.

I like the plane alot....but think it can be much better and hopefully we will as I'm sure get some mods for it soon.

fsafranek
November 16th, 2012, 20:49
Looking for Shockwave 3D lights I guess? Change the aircraft.cfg [lights] as follows:

[Lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=Recog, 8=Wing, 9=Logo, 10=Cabin
//(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
//note: VC red lighting is supplied by textures, do not add a VC light here, it will make it too bright.
light.0 = 3, -5.30, -13.50, -1.00, fx_shockwave_navred
light.1 = 3, -5.30, 13.50, -1.00, fx_shockwave_navgre
light.2 = 3, -19.74, 0.00, 3.70, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.3 = 7, -4.50, -13.10, -1.00, fx_shockwave_navwhi ;recog lights
light.4 = 7, -4.50, 13.10, -1.00, fx_shockwave_navwhi ;recog lights
light.5 =10, 11.55, 0.00, 1.20, fx_vclightwhi ;white flood only
light.6 = 9, 7.35, 2.63, 0.85, fx_navred_as ;refuelling light
light.7 = 6, 3.90, 4.74, -4.10, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.8 = 6, 4.00, 4.74, -4.10, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old

Note: As the beacon lights are hardcoded into the MDL files (using the stock fx_beacon.fx), I did not "shockwave" them.

And add this line to the panel.cfg - [Vcockpit01] section:

gauge43=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi_gear, 1,1,1,1

Sorry for the late response but I just got the Skyhawk from PC Aviator with the Tuesday discount this week.
Thanks for the info.

hschuit
November 17th, 2012, 00:37
(...) 1. The AOA system is unusable. Real Navy airplanes are trimmed for an AOA (17 units in the Goshawk) and then held at that AOA while power is used for glide slope control. This 'Optimum AOA' corresponds to the 3-o-clock position on the AOA gauge (that's what that bold white mark indicates) and an amber doughnut on the indexer. It also corresponds to Vref (called 'on speed')...but the Navy flies AOA, not speed.

On the Virtavia A-4, the amber doughnut doesn't correspond to the 3-o-clock AOA, and both seem wrong. The amber doughnut shows too fast and the gauge shows too slow a speed.

The AOA indexer is also colored wrong. The top chevron should be green, and the bottom red. The devs need to learn how the system works so they can correct this. It's a complex system, but is essential to carrier operations. (...)

FYI a page from the NATOPS which perfectly illustrates Wingnut172N's note on the AoA indexer.
I also added a zipfile with a new Virtavia_Skyhawk.cab : Fixes the reversed colors on the AOA indexer, makes sure the AOA lights are off when wheels touch the ground and increased the bullseye AOA a bit (was 7.0-8.0, now 9.0-11.0). This is still ~8 degs lower than what the NATOPS says but if I setup the indexer with the RW values you would have an uncomfortably high nose pitch coming in to land and not be able to see the runway/deck. I believe it is a common issue in FSX, I have seen many planes with FSX indicated AOA lower than RW AOA. There are gauges that use a correction factor to visually align the AOA dial gauge with the indexer lights (in case of the Virtavia Skyhawk that requires updating the MDL embedded gauge code).

BTW: I also discovered that Virtavia_Skyhawk!AntiSkid causes key events flooding when airborne, so I blocked it in my panel.cfg:
//gauge37=Virtavia_Skyhawk!AntiSkid, 0,0,1,1 //blocked due to key events flooding

merida72
November 17th, 2012, 05:22
:salute: attempt to texture ambient occlusion

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6667/schermata20121117a15182.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/schermata20121117a15182.png/)

ZsoltB
November 17th, 2012, 06:50
Hi,

New paintkit?
Available?
Looks good!!!!!

Zsolt

mal998
November 17th, 2012, 08:15
For those of you who say you are experiencing some side slip, make sure the Auto Rudder and Realism settings are turned off in the game.

I just had a chat with a long time Naval Aviator who has the aircraft and has flown the A-4 in the sim. We agree, that thus far, we are unable to duplicate the side slip issue but will continue to look at it. If at some point we can isolate what exactly is occuring for some of you, we will certainly attempt to correct it.

For those of you who seem to be wondering "who tested this aircraft", rest assured it has been tested by people who have lots of real world NAVAIR experience. As most of us who have been simming for a long time recognize, even products

that have been extensively tested have things that are sometimes overlooked. I have informed the Boss about the issue with the indexer showing upside down.

As always please read the A-4 manual for tips on how things work.

If you think you have uncovered something that needs to be corrected please contact Virtavia Technical Support. That will be the best way to insure that issues are resolved.

SpazSinbad
November 18th, 2012, 18:45
Bit late for the AoA Indexer Mixup for the VIRTAVIA A-4F for FSX. Have not had a chance to test out the fix kindly provided on previous page of this thread. Had already sent most of the attached info to techsupport at VIRTAVIA before being directed by another forum to this forum. The internet is a big place indeed.

Anyway for some time I have made freely available online material (PDFs or videos) about Skyhawks and the A4G in particular. Recently after being available on a few websites - now defunct - only 'SpazSinbad' on Microsoft SkyDrive remains. Simply register with MS to gain access to these free downloads. The file size restriction of a nominal 100Mbs means that some PDFs/Videos have been made into 'self-executing' RAR/EXE files (for those unable/unwilling/not having WinRAR).

Also available are several versions of my own A-4E/F/G NATOPS c.1970 PDF with A4G specific pages, scanned by me (sold online by others unauthorised) and still freely available at the same website. URL for all of the above (look in the various folders): https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=cbcd63d6340707e6&sa=822839791 (depending on browser a 139Mb NATOPS PDF should be at the end of the list of folders, which otherwise is in the 'FAA A-4G Skyhawk RAN PDFs' folder)

'History of USN AoA Indexer' from APPROACH PDF: http://www.public.navy.mil/navsafecen/Documents/media/approach/AppJan-Feb11.pdf

fsafranek
November 19th, 2012, 07:25
Anyway for some time I have made freely available online material (PDFs or videos) about Skyhawks and the A4G in particular. Recently after being available on a few websites - now defunct - only 'SpazSinbad' on Microsoft SkyDrive remains. Simply register with MS to gain access to these free downloads. The file size restriction of a nominal 100Mbs means that some PDFs/Videos have been made into 'self-executing' RAR/EXE files (for those unable/unwilling/not having
WinRAR).
Thanks for stopping by SpazSinbad. I discovered your PDF files earlier this year from your posts in the Big E discussions over at FSDreamTeam. Very well made and lots of information. :salute:

Ian Warren
November 19th, 2012, 10:22
Thanks SpazSinbad , i'll get it printed and and to me scooter book :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

SpazSinbad
November 19th, 2012, 13:45
After working on the A4G and related material now for a long time with not much new becoming available I'll probably only work on updating the F-35 and 'How to Deck Land' material (probably because more F-35B/C material becomes available). I'm glad that downloaders find the material useful and thanks. Over the years many people have contributed to the A4G/Skyhawk material and that part of making the PDF was a lot of fun.

Wingnut172N
November 19th, 2012, 21:00
Just to temper my original comments;

I wasn't trying to be too harsh, but the errors I'm seeing here seem to be very basic in nature in a tactical jet. In any case, let's work together so we can get this fixed, and enjoy the A-4 in FSX! :)

I'm making a comprehensive list of issues I've found, to help out. I can't seem to get an email sent to Virtavia Support (It keeps getting kicked back, so I'm posting this here instead.)

Issues I'm sure of:
1.) AOA indexer is upside down.
2.) AOA indexer doesn't extinguish with weight on wheels.
3.) AOA indexer doesn't correspond to AOA gauge (optimum = 3-o-clock)
4.) Elevator trim handle in cockpit is animated backwards.
5.) Approach Power Compensation works ~50% of the time. The rest of the time it just sets the throttle to idle, despite being below the speed I've set with the bug.
6.) Aircraft is not directionally stable, and has large amounts of side slip below 250 knots. Makes flying the pattern impossible. This is the case with auto-rudder on or off, and realism sliders at max and min.
7.) AJB-3 gyro doesn't work correctly. (If you put the jet in a climb, and roll inverted, the gyro will show you nose low)
8.) AJB-3 gyro bank indices do not move with the gyro.
9.) AJB-3 doesn't have headings marked.

Things I question, but am not sure of:
1.) The jet's attitude seems to flat when at Optimum AOA. I haven't been able to find what physical AOA 17.5 units is equivalent to yet, so I can't be certain, but I feel like the jet needs to have a higher deck angle when On Speed.
2.) Approach speed seems slow. I would assume ~120 knots on final, fuel weight dependent. I haven't checked in NATOPS though. Rotation speed seems slow as well.

Questions:
1.) Wouldn't the lift dump spoilers be better simulated with the Wing Fold command? Their main purpose was to kill lift on landing rollout, as the Skyhawk was relatively squirrely in crosswinds with it's tall landing gear. I think that using the wing fold would simulate this better than reverse thrust. FSX already makes airplanes slow down too quickly on landing rollout, reverse just adds to this. The ladder could be re-mapped to Exit 2?

SpazSinbad
November 20th, 2012, 00:07
'Wingnut172N' you make a lot of good points about the non-virtues of the Virtavia A-4F. I have only had time to look at it briefly and generally I would suggest that overall it works well (even though there are problems as you describe). As an A4G pilot in the early 1970s I was used to visual flying (horizon reference) whilst instruments were there when needed (night/cloud etc). From my research about current USN practices, especially around the carrier, I see that (due to more accurate TACAN and flight instruments/HUD generally) the first half of the base turn is done on instruments entirely, with a transition to the IFLOLS after the 90 and not going below min. altitude during turn. I guess I was lucky enough to be able to do a Non-Standard lower than NATOPS carrier circuit with a level base turn transitioning to the mirror, even getting to the 90 being able to see the meatball, for a short groove approach. Later I'm told the circuit became more like that shown in A-4 NATOPS. I guess my point is that it is possible to fly using attitude more and instruments less, so some of the 'niggles' about instruments can be less relevant. OF course the ABBAJABBA issues are relevant but there is the backup small attitude indicator when instruments are the only thing to look at. Still I agree the ABBAJABBA needs fixing though. Also I have a bad habit in FSX of using the 'ShiftZ twice' to get to see the parameters onscreen top left corner (though not ideal).

Having used the provided 'gauge.zip' change to the AoA Indexer, that works well, I'm much less disappointed overall. Sure that squirrely flight disturbance when wings not level at 'dirty' (flaps full / speed brakes out at Opt AoA) speed is a worry but one can be less dramatic with aileron hopefully might help. I don't think any A-4 developer will be able to get the correct 'IAS for weight for Optimum Angle of Attack when dirty' without making some compromises that will affect the general flight performance. I have tried every A-4 since Ms Flight Simulator was born. I won't bore you with how bad they were (most of them just copied the LearJet flight characteristics). What was usually a deal breaker was having the spoilers arm in flight (simulating an inflight arrest at any altitude) which was more than strange. :-)

The Frat Bros KAHU has generally excellent flying characteristics except for engine response during an approach (it also is too 'commercial jet engine like' slow). Carrier aircraft need a responsive throttle to be effective. Otherwise only the view out the front of the KAHU is not so good due the big HUD and the AoA Indexer is a bit of an afterthought, where the HUD does not really compensate (poor front / front left side view) for a good carrier approach [although the view is fine for a runway approach]. If FRAT/VIRTAVIA can get together then that hybrid would be a good start flight characteristics-wize. :-) [I helped 'Nije' with testing the KAHU.]

I'll post an AoA/Weight table from NATOPS soon. As long as the aircraft attitude is slightly nose higher than how it will be on the ground at a light weight then that is probably the best that can be achieved. I have actually helped RAZBAM get his A-4 series going way back in the FS 2004/7 era. Sadly I had only one opportunity to ask for changes to the flight / engine characteristics before the series was released; and that was that. Subsequently I was blamed for 'having a too powerful engine' in the A-4F series but for those unfamiliar with the aircraft and the 9.300 lb thrust engine the performance was excellent at carrier landing weights and that was my benchmark. I don't care for anything else; although I'll acknowledge that others have different priorities.

I like FSX Accel and the SLUDGE modified Hornet because the characteristics for carrier landing seem genuine (enough for FSX) and I'll include Dino Cattaneo's Goshawk in that category of 'ideal' for that purpose. Nothing before has come close, so anything else these days is a bonus I reckon. Probably Dino's F-35C is good but having the AoA ladder disappear from the HUD during an approach is 'not good'. I digress.

As you will see from the NATOPS AoA/KIAS Approach / Weight table probably no A-4 we will ever see can match those statistics given what are the many limitations of FSX flight model tweaking. Perhaps Prepar3D is more tweakable but I'm not a tweaker - just a user. I note also that on my rig the main wheels are several inches off the tarmac when stopped. Also the aircraft gets airborne in the takeoff attitude (no rotation) which is odd but as mentioned my flying / desultory testing is only 'early days'. About the other performance parameters as mentioned, I don't really mind, as long as overall they are reasonable.

Someone mentioned poor climb performance. Depending on all up weight the aircraft was poor performing at above 20,000 feet but given light weight it was an excellent air to air performer. So any generalisation about performance must be prefaced by the AUW/altitude. As mentioned for me the aircraft must perform as appropriate in the carrier landing circuit.

The second 'LSO' graphic and OptAoA info outlines parameters for landing aboard HMAS Melbourne in an A4G at max landing weight of 14,500lbs or below. One came back with maximum amount of fuel to be at max. arrest weight over the ramp (with any empty stores factored into weight). An A4G pilot had a kneeboard calculation to the nearest lb of the various weights of the particular aircraft that day. Of course a lot of calculation could be done before flight with stores expended thus maximising fuel at arrest.

StormILM
November 20th, 2012, 00:57
I did successfully graft the Frat Bros Airfile into this model and it cures much of the stability issues without deviating too far from what Mal has done overall. It's my opinion that the issues with the FDE are very fixable and I'm sure it will be looked into as will the gauge and VC animation bugs. It takes a time to collect bug data and then fix them to be able to get a service pack out and it is something that simply can be rushed. It happens to all FS Developers at this level.

SpazSinbad
November 20th, 2012, 02:53
'StormILM': Good news then. How easy is it to do the grafting from KAHU flight characteristics to VIRTAVIA? Is it doable by ordinary persons?

I guess that the VIRTAVIA engine is better 'throttle control/engine response wise' during landing approach conditions compared to the inadequate KAHU engine response? That would be my opinion (from limited VIRTAVIA testing but extensive KAHU testing). Here is a Utube video of one such test:

RNZAF A4K KAHU Skyhawk - test circuit NAS Nowra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uydh7fsiz4w&feature=plcp

skyhawka4m
November 21st, 2012, 10:21
Ok....here is the first repaint I am releasing for the A-4....please keep in mind with the stretching of the textures on the spine I con't completely duplicate the stripe 100%

http://speedy.sh/TwQsS/VMA-131.zip

fsafranek
November 21st, 2012, 16:42
Ok....here is the first repaint I am releasing for the A-4....please keep in mind with the stretching of the textures on the spine I con't completely duplicate the stripe 100%

Looks great. A bit of color against the gray always looks good.

SpazSinbad
November 25th, 2012, 02:38
ABBAJABBA was the usual way the Artificial Horizon or All Attitude Indicator [AN/AJB-3A] was referenced in the 1970s in the USN, RAN & RNZAF. NATOPS starts out a lengthy explanation which is in the under 3.8Mb PDF limit attached: ..."remote indicating, vertical gyro control with a pictorial sphere presentation gyro INDICATOR located on the instrument panel...." From NATOPS A-4F/G.

SpazSinbad
November 25th, 2012, 08:10
Don Simms former RNZAF KAHU techo (show & telling first in the movie) has written an excellent book with heaps of photos about the RNZAF A-4K KAHU. An example chapter is available here:

http://www.willsonscott.biz/files/skyhawk.pdf (1.2Mb)

http://www.faaaa.asn.au/news/book_skyhawk_nz.htm

"Skyhawks: The History of the RNZAF Skyhawks is a new book written by Skyhawk maintainer Don Simms and aviation writer Nick Lee Frampton."

http://www.willsonscott.biz/catalogue/military/skyhawks-the-history-of-the-rnzaf-skyhawk

338 pages ISBN: 9781877427367 ABBAJABBA AN/AJB-3A

Ian Warren
November 25th, 2012, 11:11
Don Simms former RNZAF KAHU techo (show & telling first in the movie) has written an excellent book with heaps of photos about the RNZAF A-4K KAHU. An example chapter is available here:

"Skyhawks: The History of the RNZAF Skyhawks is a new book written by Skyhawk maintainer Don Simms and aviation writer Nick Lee Frampton."

Most highly recommended along along with the book SCOOTER! The Douglas A4 Skyhawk story , 272 page in quality gloss print :cool:

SpazSinbad
November 25th, 2012, 15:06
Yes there are some excellent A-4 books around although some (probably very early ones concentrating on USN models) have some dodgy info about Australasian Skyhawks. But I digress. The second chap speaking in the video above is Ross Ewing - former A-4K pilot. He went to the USA with the first group to train on their A-4K there. His book 'Topped Gun - Requiem for the Skyhawk' is a good read for those early RNZAF Skyhawk days.

Jetmechanic
November 26th, 2012, 05:56
Can anyone tell me who bought the Virtavia A-4 if the sounds are actually from a A-4. I seen a few videos on youtube but cant tell. Just not sure if the sounds are a generic from other Virtavia aircraft. Thanks

hschuit
November 26th, 2012, 07:00
Can anyone tell me who bought the Virtavia A-4 if the sounds are actually from a A-4. I seen a few videos on youtube but cant tell. Just not sure if the sounds are a generic from other Virtavia aircraft. Thanks

Most of the engine sound WAV's (including startup/shudown) are the same as the ones used for the Virtavia F-111, not sure what type of engine they are from so I guess they are some kind of generic military engine sounds. I witnessed the BAE Skyhawks which are still operational at Wittmund AB, Germany and from what I remember they have a screaming sound when taxiing, a very loud roar when full throttle. I have aliased the Skyhawk sound to the Just Flight EE Lightning which is the closest resemblance I could find.

BTW: The RAZBAM Intruder has a good alternative soundset as well, made by Aaron R. Swindle (SkySong Soundworks) which uses real Pratt Whitney J52 recordings. Currently you can get the Intruder for only $5,- at the RAZBAM store.

skyhawka4m
November 26th, 2012, 08:22
I am using the sounds set from their hawker hunter.

hschuit
November 26th, 2012, 08:33
I am using the sounds set from their hawker hunter.

That makes perfect sense, the Rolls Royce Avon (also used in the EE Lightning) is a contemporary axial flow turbojet with similar specs/purpose as the Pratt Whitney J52.

http://www.jet-engine.net/ has some very interesting data sheets showing the aircraft using a particular engine and technical specs like static thrust, fuel consumption etc.

skyhawka4m
November 26th, 2012, 08:37
That makes perfect sense, the Rolls Royce Avon (also used in the EE Lightning) is a contemporary axial flow turbojet with similar specs/purpose as the Pratt Whitney J52.

Having worked around A-4's and photogrpahed many aircraft that were runnign and flying....this sound is the best I was able to find, the taxi sound is perfect.

SpazSinbad
November 26th, 2012, 13:45
The Frat Bros A-K KAHU for FSX have excellent A-4 sounds IMHO. Been awhile since I have had it installed - I'll go back to check the sound again. From vague memory I believe the sounds are from the same source as 'hschuit' states: "...Aaron R. Swindle (SkySong Soundworks) which uses real Pratt Whitney J52 recordings...".

SpazSinbad
November 27th, 2012, 04:36
Last RAN TA4G Shut down whine NAS Nowra mid 1984. I guess when it started up again it was an RNZAF aircraft.

ST0RM
November 27th, 2012, 09:41
Deleted by me. Got it figured out with the texture.cfg files.

Wingnut172N
November 27th, 2012, 18:30
Has anyone from Virtavia posted about fixing our issues with this jet, or even acknowledged that they exist?

skyhawka4m
November 27th, 2012, 20:26
Wingnut....I'm not 100% positive about this but I do think one gent was looking into the issues. I'm still having them. I love the plane as far as the modeling goes...but the flight model needs a little work....the side slipping is the biggest issue for me. Turning in on final is a bitch if your not about 225 knots. Also, with full flaps it just wants to hang in the air.....I wish I had the ability to do a video of this to post so that it can be seen what I am getting.

fsafranek
November 27th, 2012, 20:55
Has anyone from Virtavia posted about fixing our issues with this jet, or even acknowledged that they exist?
Yes.

skyhawka4m
November 27th, 2012, 22:29

skyhawka4m
November 27th, 2012, 22:30
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/705391_4521604851335_1352082277_o.jpg

skyhawka4m
November 27th, 2012, 22:31

ST0RM
November 28th, 2012, 07:26
That first head-on screenie is awesome. Like looking back from the ramp of a Herk.

I flew it yesterday for over an hour and did 10 approaches and landings. Both on land and on a CV. I used a ton of rudder in the turns but it still wanted to skid through.

Had fun though!

-Jeff

fsafranek
December 3rd, 2012, 08:36
After thinking more about it I think I did you all a disservice by replying "yes" to this question earlier. Mal998 and I are aware of the issues mentioned since we participate in this forum. But the decision maker said a couple days ago that he has not received a single tech support request regarding the flight model. Or any of the other problems listed mostly on page 9 and 10 in this thread. He has only heard from us and (my words following) since we aren't customers we don't really count.

From the manual:

Should you experience difficulties or require extra information about the Virtavia Skyhawk,
please e-mail our technical support on tech.support@virtavia.com

Mal is looking into the FDE concerns but that fix and corrections to other issues may never see the official light of day without the bosses participation. Please, if you want things fixed, tactfully let "Virtavia" know through the official channel, and please enclose your purchase information.

hschuit
December 3rd, 2012, 09:28
After thinking more about it I think I did you all a disservice by replying "yes" to this question earlier. Mal998 and I are aware of the issues mentioned since we participate in this forum. But the decision maker said a couple days ago that he has not received a single tech support request regarding the flight model. Or any of the other problems listed mostly on page 9 and 10 in this thread. He has only heard from us and (my words following) since we aren't customers we don't really count.

From the manual:

Mal is looking into the FDE concerns but that fix and corrections to other issues may never see the official light of day without the bosses participation. Please, if you want things fixed, tactfully let "Virtavia" know through the official channel, and please enclose your purchase information.

Well, I did email 2 times to the proper email address. The 1st time was about the reversed AOA indexer, I even pointed them to the fix I posted in this forum on Nov 17th. (BTW, that AOA indexer is used in many Virtavia products like the F-111, B-1B). Later on, I posted another question about the RPM gauge which I think is overstated, it reaches 100% long before full throttle. Phil did answer this time: He said I got it wrong because I was looking at the gauge from an angle and concluded the reply with this:

"Lastly, whilst I am sure it provides some satisfaction to point out minor errors in the work of others like this, you must remember this is a $42 home simulation, a leisure item in fact, and is not intended for real-world training (something which would cost many $1000’s but would no doubt meet your requirements for accuracy), so it would be reasonable I think to allow a certain margin for error in all areas of the product, especially in something as non-essential to using the model as a few digits of engine revolutions."

Amazing don't you think? No way I get any satisfaction out of finding issues with the Skyhawk, I am just trying to help improve a great but unfinished product. Anyway, I will continue to be very happy with the Skyhawk but I won't send any feedback to Virtavia about it anymore. Will I buy Virtavia products in the future? Yes I will if they contunue to make great planes like the Skyhawk.

cheers, Henk.

VCN-1
December 3rd, 2012, 10:22
Different company name but it seems to have developed IMHO the same attitude as its predecessor had toward customer service.

VCN-1

skyhawka4m
December 3rd, 2012, 11:07
I can personally confirm that FDE issues are being looked into as I have been asked by a member of the team to do some testing for them. I can say that it seems the stabiliy (sideslipping) issue seems to be corrected, at least to my liking. I will be contacting them with my thoughts tonight when I return home from work.

SpazSinbad
December 3rd, 2012, 11:42
Now that 'skyhawkA4m' has 'let the cat out of the bag' (made information known) I can also attest that from my limited testing experience, also in FSX with the VIRTAVIA A-4 (with a new computer / screen and flight stick) that their A-4F/G is working well, with the fixes I have seen so far. In fact as I e-mailed recently (remember from my limited testing mostly done in the circuit at NAS Nowra) is that their A-4 is the best simulation I have experienced in FSX or in Ms Flightsims since the beginning. Sure there are anomalies; but I remember this is FSX and compromises have to be made to achieve the best overall realism possible. Tweaking subsequently may not be ruled out of course however these things are not for me to mess with.

The airspeed at Opt AoA is below what would be realistic but otherwise the aircraft seems to perform appropriately with a good aircraft nose high attitude at Opt AoA (nosewheel slightly higher than mainwheels). The engine RPM does go too rapidly on the dial to 100% but otherwise from my approaches it 'feels' like the engine responds well to throttle. During a carrier approach the RPM gauge is not looked at nor is the airspeed - these things are checked downwind at trimmed optimum AoA and then only the AoA indexer is looked at along with line up and the meatball (if one available at an airfield) during carrier approach. Using those criteria when at or below maximum arrested landing weight of 14,500 lbs the aircraft handles appropriately. Also have the speedbrakes open (I have not tried an S/B closed approach yet) with flaps always fully down.

The 'yaw away from the turn during the turn issue' seems to have been solved but I'll leave those issues to the flight model modifiers to be explained. One point about military jet flying is that no rudders are used at all, except in special flight circumstances; and especially not during turns. A turn in flight is made only with ailerons. I guess it is obvious that miljets are not flown like commercial large aircraft, so when turning mostly G force is applied during the turn to get something happening, to make the turn appropriately quick. As an aside it was not uncommon to see an A4G flying slightly wing down but straight and level otherwise (temporarily). Only during a long navigation flight would the aircraft be trimmed minutely, to be trimmed absolutely as best it could be (given the drop tanks or ordinance carried would interfere).

From my perspective during an approach the aircraft now works very well and I think a job well done (with the appropriate fixes in place). Others may well have a different opinion of course. I would like to see the heading information on the ABBAJABBA and the spoilers to remain open below whatever speed they seem to close automatically at; and to be able to have the spoilers open (temporarily) during taxiing. There may well be other issues but no 'show stoppers' after the fixes I have seen IMHO. And as always YMMV. :-)

rfreeman11
December 3rd, 2012, 14:05
"Lastly, whilst I am sure it provides some satisfaction to point out minor errors in the work of others like this, you must remember this is a $42 home simulation, a leisure item in fact, and is not intended for real-world training (something which would cost many $1000’s but would no doubt meet your requirements for accuracy), so it would be reasonable I think to allow a certain margin for error in all areas of the product, especially in something as non-essential to using the model as a few digits of engine revolutions."

How does this hold up against something like the VRS F-18E? I for one believe that once you pass the $20 mark on payware aircraft little things like a correctly implemented AJB-3A/ AOA indexer aren't to much to ask for. The RAZBAM AJB-3A works and I only paid 5 dollars for that! I can accept a margin of error in most products, but the primary instrument not being modeled correctly is kind of outside that range.

* I am aware that the RAZBAM stuff was more than $5 when released.

Scandinavian
December 3rd, 2012, 15:36
I can't comment on flight models and such, but don't expect VRS quality, but its far from Abacus quality also. Its a nice airplane, which I have enjoyed so far, but maybe a little overpriced. I wish they would have included a load manager instead of the little dated solution of using a ton of different models. Please Virtavia, consider doing that in an update. :) Then after that do a Naval Lynx please! :engel016:

MudMarine
December 3rd, 2012, 16:23
"since we're not customers we don't count......" No sale, hows that count towards the bottom line? :icon_lol: Still on my list to get but I may wait a while longer!

fsafranek
December 3rd, 2012, 17:39
"since we're not customers we don't count......" No sale, hows that count towards the bottom line? :icon_lol: Still on my list to get but I may wait a while longer!

Proof people only read what they want to. The quote was...

He has only heard from us and (my words following) since we aren't customers we don't really count.

... as in "these are my words, not his". Phil never said that. He does listen to myself and Mal but it is the customers who have the loudest voices.

MudMarine
December 3rd, 2012, 18:05
Proof people only read what they want to. The quote was...

... as in "these are my words, not his". Phil never said that. He does listen to myself and Mal but it is the customers who have the loudest voices.

I understood that! Jeez, can't anyone make a joke without all the assumption?! I guess I find truth and humor in strange places. I'm still going to get it but I'm going to wait until I count (JOKE)!

SpazSinbad
December 3rd, 2012, 18:07
'fsafranek' Glad you cleared that up about techsupport. Thanks. Any comment I might make about RAZBAM for FS2004 Skyhawks would be irrelevant these days. If anyone can use those aircraft in FSX then I would like to know; but only for historical reasons. However if I can make a comparison between RAZBAM A-4s and VIRTAVIA A-4s then it would be the RAZBAM is irrelevant. FRAT BROS A-4K KAHU is good value and equivalent to VIRTAVIA but it is not suitable for carrier landings or even FCLP. I would recommend (with the fixes) that the VIRTAVIA A-4 is suitable for carrier landings/FCLP. Please try using the FCLP Missions Freeware made available by FSXNavyPilot. The IFLOLS can be seen from at least 1.5NM and it is a good introduction to whatever carrier you may wish to land upon. However please use the NATOPS landing method with Optimum AoA around the circuit. Here is the land based NATOPS circuit. Please do not fly KIAS around the circuit.

Wingnut172N
December 3rd, 2012, 18:33
How does this hold up against something like the VRS F-18E? I for one believe that once you pass the $20 mark on payware aircraft little things like a correctly implemented AJB-3A/ AOA indexer aren't to much to ask for. The RAZBAM AJB-3A works and I only paid 5 dollars for that! I can accept a margin of error in most products, but the primary instrument not being modeled correctly is kind of outside that range.

* I am aware that the RAZBAM stuff was more than $5 when released.

Agree 100%. As long as the main instrument is as blatantly wrong as this one is (The standby is wrong as well....and that is a normal gyro) then this addon is crap in my book. A working attitude gyro is assumed. Try flying IFR...you'll crash. Get your act together, Virtavia...I'm embarrassed for you. Mainly due to poor attitude of the lead dev. This jet had a lot of potential too...sad.

Can I get my money back or is that out of the question?

SpazSinbad
December 3rd, 2012, 19:13
'Wingnut172N' claims incorrectly: "...(The standby is wrong as well....and that is a normal gyro)..." The "standby" 'wet' compass actually works better than a real wet compass would (no hesitation and swinging effects) - and correctly - while the TACAN compass indications are correct for heading information. Yes it will be good to have ABBAJABBA working of course.

SpazSinbad
December 3rd, 2012, 22:00
IF reference was being made to the 'Standby Attitude Indicator' not working correctly then I see no evidence of that. The SAI is only a simple Attitude Indicator with no compass reference. The ABBAJABBA in FSX A-4 VIRTAVIA is only missing the compass readouts. Attached is an A-4E/F/G NATOPS graphic and a screen grab of VIRTAVIA A-4 front instrument panel (which appears very realistic I might add). The third pic is reality with the ABBAJABBA tumbled while a small insert shows it properly.

Wingnut172N
December 4th, 2012, 07:58
Spaz,

Sir, try this and let me know what your results are; if you have no issue with it, then my installation must be messed up in some way.

Put the airplane in a climb (~60 degrees) and roll inverted. My ABBAJABBA and my Standby Gyro (I was talking about the standby gyro, not the standby compass) at this point show a nose low attitude even though the jet is nose up.

Does yours not do this?

V/R
Wingnut

SpazSinbad
December 4th, 2012, 11:17
'Wingnut172N' IMHO the best way to illustrate your point is to do a loop via the ABBAJABBA (plus monitor the SAI). The ABBAJABBA should not topple. It should - but does not - follow the loop direction around the globe (white sky over the pole until next horizon). Upon reaching the vertical the ABBAJABBA topples (as the SAI should). If this 'glitch' is known beforehand then doing instrument loops or unusual attitude recoveries can be catered for. However it is most unusual to be doing aerobatics in cloud. YES recovering from Unusual Attitudes if the position of the aircraft is not monitored before/during the recovery is going to be a problem. I would suggest that instrument flying be restricted to reasonable flight conditions. YES the ABBAJABBA should not topple and it should have heading information. Not a show stopper for me though.

It is practised on instruments (usually in the back of a TA-4 with a safety pilot in front seat) to have the ABBAJABBA non-functional (toppled - which it does not do in normal operation) and to then rely on the other instruments to effect a recovery. So it is possible to recover from a UA with the SAI but it is difficult and if the problem in FSX with the ABBAJABBA toppling is not known beforehand then there is a problem for sure for the unwary sprog instrument pilot doing cloud aerobatics.

fsafranek
December 4th, 2012, 11:21
Spaz,

Sir, try this and let me know what your results are; if you have no issue with it, then my installation must be messed up in some way.

Put the airplane in a climb (~60 degrees) and roll inverted. My ABBAJABBA and my Standby Gyro (I was talking about the standby gyro, not the standby compass) at this point show a nose low attitude even though the jet is nose up.

Does yours not do this?

V/R
Wingnut
From your list earlier I did verifed this issue and report it to Virtavia.
If you're climbing, you're climbing. Doesn't matter which way you are facing.

Victory103
December 4th, 2012, 13:17
Spaz, thanks for the limited review. You can fly the FS9 Raz models using the FSX F. Bros airfile, should be a thread on here. I did this last year while waiting for both developers models to come out.

Ian Warren
December 4th, 2012, 13:44
However if I can make a comparison between RAZBAM A-4s and VIRTAVIA A-4s then it would be the RAZBAM is irrelevant. FRAT BROS A-4K KAHU is good value and equivalent to VIRTAVIA

I no Nigel and maybe he may step up onto pad in the Ball park , FRAT BROS A-4K KAHU (I never brought it - fellow city person from Wobblyville - a slap on the wrist for me needed OUCH! ), I viewed screens of his product and many required a little extra work in regard to poly's , I should give him a nudge and get him to stop by ... chew the fat over the FRAT and maybe a looksie at his A4 .

SpazSinbad
December 4th, 2012, 14:33
'Victory103' thanks for the tip but I will have enough now with the VIRTAVIA A-4 in FSX. I could say a lot about RAZBAM A-4s but it is a different time and FlightSim (FSX) now. When time later I will look at your tips - thanks for that.

'Ian Warren' I know 'nije' Nigel via (e-mail) testing the KAHU for him (test circuit video online in earlier post). Yes there are drawbacks but my main interest in FSX generally is to have good carrier landing aircraft. The KAHU does not qualify due the limited front view - especially on the left side. Otherwise as I hope I have stressed earlier and Nigel knows all my misgivings :-) the KAHU has great flying qualities, as I have mentioned.

What is good about this VIRTAVIA A-4 is that it will make a good carrier deck lander along with the others mentioned (SLUDGE basic Hornet, Cattaneo T-45C both freeware with his soon to be freeware F-35C).

Wingnut172N
December 5th, 2012, 05:39
For some reason my standby gyro indicates the same incorrect attitudes as the ABBAJABBA? I'll try a reinstall tonight to see if that fixes it, since it appears everyone else's is working properly. Where could I get my hands on this new FDE that fixes all the sideslip issues?

SpazSinbad
December 5th, 2012, 09:46
No need to re-install. The ABBAJABBA mimics the SAI. The ABBAJABBA should not because it is an "All Attitude Indicator" whereas the SAI is not. The SAI topples as it should but the ABBAJABBA should not - thus mimicking the SAI. Then the 'black ground' is where the 'white sky' should be until the nose comes up near horizon again. I find this phenomena difficult to describe in words so I guess I can try to make a movie. What I have suggested above to overcome this issue still applies.

Wingnut172N
December 5th, 2012, 13:43
Ah, I see. I never considered that the standby would tumble (I've never referenced the standby gyro in the jet in anything except standard flight regimes).

SpazSinbad
December 10th, 2012, 16:28
Thought it may be appropriate to mention that after re-installing FSX Accel in a new location (different disk) and then installing VIRTAVIA A-4F with my new Cyborg EVO stick (previous installation had used initially my venerable old wonky Sidewinder then the EVO) there were no issues with the strange 'yaw to the right initially when rolling with aileron only turning left'. No files changed. Then the new AoA Indexer installed with still no problems. Also an issue with the mainwheels being inches off the tarmac was fixed in this new installation. Perhaps the Sidewinder stick used earlier affected some settings? Meanwhile I should say that my control settings were:

Keyboard Sensitivity NIL on all axes
Realistic simulation full
Rudder sensitivity full to the left NIL
while NULL zone was full to the right

YMMV. It is essential to do aileron only turns then pull Gs to get around the corner as required. I think the front view with the side panels lower margin falling away can increase the illusion/effect of any tendency to 'yaw right whilst turning left'. It is an odd thing sometimes, even without this yaw effect, and I would guess is to do with the sim itself.

skyhawka4m
December 10th, 2012, 17:30
where is the keyboard sensitivity setting?

fsafranek
December 10th, 2012, 18:11
where is the keyboard sensitivity setting?
Settings -> Controls -> Calibration

skyhawka4m
December 10th, 2012, 18:19
I don't have a keyboard calibration though.

fsafranek
December 10th, 2012, 20:28
I don't have a keyboard calibration though.
"CALIBRATION" is the tab at the top of the page where Keyboard Sensitivity settings are found.

SpazSinbad
December 10th, 2012, 23:15
OPTIONS > SETTINGS > CONTROLS then look in the lower half of the dialog screen KEYBOARD SENSITIVITY. I may have missed some other settings so I'll look again. The settings seen above were not on my original setup with the Sidewinder but were default - as were all the settings at the time when problem encountered.

OOPs I see a graphic has already been posted. I'll leave the experts to say more about settings. Here is a graphic for AIRCRAFT > REALISM > SETTINGS

mal998
December 11th, 2012, 07:32
Keyboard settings should be turned OFF (of course unless you have no controller)

fsafranek
December 11th, 2012, 15:11
I really like the Scooter, it was the first model plane I assembled along with the F-4 and A-7. Trying out the paintkit:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Montie/FSX/a4w3.jpg

Was this texture ever finished/released? A favorite of mine as well but if it's already been done...

skyhawka4m
December 19th, 2012, 03:57
:salute: attempt to texture ambient occlusion

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6667/schermata20121117a15182.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/schermata20121117a15182.png/)

Did you ever put this out?

Montie
December 19th, 2012, 06:11
Was this texture ever finished/released? A favorite of mine as well but if it's already been done...
No I have not done more to it since then, lack of time, but maybe during my Christmas holidays I get to finish it... If nobody makes it first.

fsafranek
December 30th, 2012, 08:32
Finished up a new texture I had started before Christmas in the training colors of VT-7.

78133 78134

Almost finished with a Brasilian Navy scheme as well.

merida72
December 30th, 2012, 13:14
Did you ever put this out?

unfortunately I don't have a-4
however, for those who are interested I can send the PSD file...

Happy New Year to all :)

flaviossa
December 30th, 2012, 14:06
Finished up a new texture I had started before Christmas in the training colors of VT-7.

78133 78134

Almost finished with a Brasilian Navy scheme as well.

Thanks Mr. Frank!
Your work is very wellcome! Happy new year! :ernae:

mal998
December 30th, 2012, 16:08
Nice one Frank!

heavy
December 30th, 2012, 19:40
Now I'm wondering will we ever see a TA-4J in FSX?

skyhawka4m
December 31st, 2012, 18:55
Thanks to Merida72 I have been working on redoing/finalizing my first A-4 paints. He has supplied me with a layer of shadowing which I think really add's to the plane. This shot was taken straight from sim with no edits and shows the shadowing to some effect.

expat
January 1st, 2013, 02:14
Now that is looking mighty fine!

merida72
January 1st, 2013, 03:34
:) volumetric dress - thank you john!!!

mal998
January 1st, 2013, 15:54
looks like I'll be doing some downloading when I get back home from vacation. Thanks to those who have done some really fine paints!

Landman
January 2nd, 2013, 11:48
Does anyone know the best altitude and KIAS for max range cruise in the clean configuration?

SpazSinbad
January 3rd, 2013, 03:01
There are many ways to figure out the optimum with the graphs in the back of NATOPS for the A-4E/F/G which is available at two places now (best copy at 140Mbs):

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=cbcd63d6340707e6&sa=822839791
OR
https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0BwBlvCQ7o4F_aDhIQ0szeVJFY0U

The quick answer is for clean configuration (albeit at only half fuel load but you can extrapolate backwards a bit for opt KIAS) is to use the 'Fouled Deck Range' which is for clean configuration. Speed can decrease slightly for less weight over time of cruising. Note that there is a special descent profile. If extra fuel on a good day for a visual approach pilots will put the nose down on destination and take whatever speed but if range still a consideration then follow the profiles as shown.

How long is a piece of string is answered by having more information such as 'where do you start' - takeoff, already at cruise altitude, etc. Other charts for determining those parameters from start to finish are in NATOPS. The BINGO/FOUL DECK info is replicated in the pilot carried Pocket Check List (also NATOPS). Before flight the big book NATOPS charts will be consulted whilst inflight the PCL has the answers. My guess ball park is steady 225 KCAS at 40,000 feet but all these numbers are fungible depending on initial conditions and if you want the perfect profile with reducing airspeed or even increasing altitude in a step climb then more performance can be squeezed out. Perhaps a high wind (Jetstream at this altitude may demand a lower altitude?). As I say there are many variables but rules of thumb are good.

Landman
January 3rd, 2013, 05:28
Thanks. Nice site you've got there. I have been working out of town. Can't wait to get back home and start flying this one.

mal998
January 4th, 2013, 12:11
Hi All,
Well after taking most of December off for the Holidays, it's back to work on upgrading the FDE files for the Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk.

But before I go any further I would like to publically thank SpazSinbad for taking time in early December to help me identify and correct some of the issues including a "side-slip" that had been reported by a few customers.

If you are someone who purchased the Virtavia A-4, and had some problems with the jets handling, and would be interested in doing a bit of testing, send me a PM me with your purchase details.

Thanks in advance,
mal

skyhawka4m
January 4th, 2013, 13:19
Mall998...sorry I didn't get back to you. Just a heads up the last FDE you sent me was much better!!! holidays and life got in the way and I'm sorry for not responding back to you.

mal998
January 5th, 2013, 05:57
:bump:

Landman
January 5th, 2013, 09:53
@ Mal

PM sent about a bug in the navigation instruments. There were other posts earlier in this thread about the arrows on the ADI but I also had a problem with the flight director bars not tracking a VOR or ILS properly.

skyhawka4m
January 7th, 2013, 04:15
Not wanting to steal anyones thread so I'll update here......I am working on updating my three completed aircraft with a new ambient layer and once updated and complete they will be packaged up and offered.

VMA-131

VMA-211

mal998
January 7th, 2013, 07:04
Nice work Skyhawk.

Ian Warren
January 7th, 2013, 10:53
Nice Nicely A4Man :cool: Lotta fun adjusting and tweaking with A2As AccuFeel <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

skyhawka4m
January 7th, 2013, 19:56
QG-00...151046 in low-viz. My other 131 bird was also 1046 but in full markings. I am planning on doing 1046 in two more scheme.....Tomcatters in Vietnam, and its final job was with VC-1 at Barbers Point.

skyhawka4m
January 8th, 2013, 04:56
another VMA-131 jet in progress.....this was the only jet 131 got in this scheme....will be QG-10_150121

skyhawka4m
January 8th, 2013, 21:05

All done.....

expat
January 9th, 2013, 02:14
Am going to refresh my earlier suggestion/requests:

Keen on the third VA-55 entry in particular . .

skyhawka4m
January 9th, 2013, 04:14
VA-22 I won't do because of the fuselage ban......when they did the textures they did some stretching and its right where the band goes. VA-55 will be done, as will 2 more VA-164 jets, and also the VA-213 I think you have a shot of.

Deacon211
January 9th, 2013, 10:04
Hey guys,

New here on the boards. At least I think I'm new. I could have sworn that I had an account at one time. LOL!

Anyway, I don't have this jet yet for FSX but I have a notion about the climb issue that someone had mentioned earlier.

I flew a few light attack jets back in the dark ages. On one of my early cross country flights as a nugget, I was climbing out as wingman with a set of wing tanks and nothing else. This config made me heavyish, but not really heavy. In any case, my jet was a bit of a dog and I was having a hard time climbing with my lead. Not thinking too much about it, I traded a little airspeed for altitude to get back up to him. Bad idea. What I found was that not only had my climb rate stagnated, but I was also unable to regain my airspeed, even at mil power. In the end, the only way I could resume my climb was to ask for a block altitude, descend slightly until I could get my climb airspeed back and then reset my climb attitude.

It's only natural to think you can climb out like a rocket in a tactical aircraft, especially in FS where you don't generally get punished too badly for such transgressions. In the actual aircraft, a heavy load will really put a dent in your climb capability. And if you don't hawk your climb airspeed fairly closely, you can easily prematurely stifle your climb by getting behind the power curve.

I can't say with any certainty that is what is happening here, but it definitely sounds like a good representation of a heavily loaded aircraft that was allowed to get slow on climb out. I'd be curious to see if the time to climb/distance to climb charts yielded accurate numbers when flown on the proper climb schedule.

Skyhawka4m, can I ask what your association was with VMA-131 and 211? I was stashed with the former (and got my first Skyhawk ride) when I was waiting for flight school and the latter was my first fleet squadron. I was surprised to see you do both skins as your first effort!

Deacon

SpazSinbad
January 9th, 2013, 10:44
'Deacon211' thanks for your heavy climb explanation. You may be interested in the A4G PDFs / Videos at the URLs in my signature.

'Not enough power/airspeed' with heavy weight (close to maximum allowed) takeoff on R/W 08 at NAS Nowra with a TA4G follows:

The most extreme take off was with a TA4G with three 2,000 pound full fuel tanks (centre being buddy tank) doing the ‘ski jump’ on Runway 08 on a hot windless summer day, contemplating where the aircraft should be pointed, IF, during the ‘interminable’ take off roll things did not go as advertised according to the TA4G NATOPS Take Off Performance Charts (thankfully just making all the benchmarks perfectly) as it trundled down towards that magic drop off into the gully off the end of RW 08; but NOT BEFORE bouncing up & down on that long nose oleo – going nowhere performance-wise – on that last few hundred feet uphill (the jump-de-ski effect).

Yep, veer/turn right – eject. But then the wheels left the tarmac & aircraft dropped into the gully, slowly accelerating ‘downhill’. No performance in TA4G with that 6,000lb extra load/drag with full internal fuel of 4,800lbs on that ‘hot’ day. [A long field arrest was perhaps possible – but not certain.]

Deacon211
January 9th, 2013, 15:29
Wow, that's a pretty hair-raising story!

Great links. I only flew the TA-4J in Flight School, but I loved that plane!

Deacon

skyhawka4m
January 9th, 2013, 19:37
Skyhawka4m, can I ask what your association was with VMA-131 and 211? I was stashed with the former (and got my first Skyhawk ride) when I was waiting for flight school and the latter was my first fleet squadron. I was surprised to see you do both skins as your first effort!

Deacon

Well long story short....I grew up near and wound up stationed at NAS Willow Grove in Pa. I grew up with VMA-131 in my life until they were gone. I made a few frieends there and even helped to pait the final A-4M in MARINE service. Didn't do anything major but it was nice to be part of it. As to VMA-211.....no attachement to them other than I love A-4's and just happened to pic that unit to do first. I also did one for VMAT-102. I will also be doing A-4E 151046 in the TOMCATTERS scheme aas it appeared in Vietnam era. I have plans to do at least one sccheme from every MARINE unit and numerous NAVY units also. If you have one in mind let me knnow and I'll see wht I can do for you. Heck I could even add your name to a certain plane if you ever had that done.

SpazSinbad
January 9th, 2013, 22:22
Wow, that's a pretty hair-raising story!

Great links. I only flew the TA-4J in Flight School, but I loved that plane!

Deacon

My Basic / Advanced Flying training then (and it is more or less the same today in the helo only RAN FAA) was done in the RAAF with fifteen months of ground school and flying training then returning to the RAN Fleet Air Arm at NAS Nowra. It took awhile before I was able to do my first carrier landing ever in the A4G - not aboard HMAS Melbourne which was just coming out of refit - on HMS Eagle which happened to be visiting our East Coast at the time. Being a newbie (sprog) I was only allowed to do touch and goes, later becoming carqual on MELBOURNE. If you like hairy stories then my second 'night deck landing' (hook up) during carqual was at least that - hairy! :-) SkyDrive and GoogleDrive have this PDF. On SkyDrive look in the 'Documents Various' folder for:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=cbcd63d6340707e6&sa=822839791#cid=CBCD63D6340707E6&id=CBCD63D6340707E6%21116

Ramp-Strike-01-Sept-71-no8.pdf (7.5Mb)

Most PDFs about the A4G combined have info on the very bumpy up and down Runway 08/26 at NAS Nowra. From the approach end of RW 26 there is a downdraft warning for westerly winds over 7 knots due to a deep gully along the approach path. This downdraft with stronger winds claimed many an aircraft and some lives over the years but not in the A4G era (good waveoff characteristics).

Deacon211
January 10th, 2013, 02:01
Well long story short....I grew up near and wound up stationed at NAS Willow Grove in Pa. I grew up with VMA-131 in my life until they were gone. I made a few frieends there and even helped to pait the final A-4M in MARINE service. Didn't do anything major but it was nice to be part of it. As to VMA-211.....no attachement to them other than I love A-4's and just happened to pic that unit to do first. I also did one for VMAT-102. I will also be doing A-4E 151046 in the TOMCATTERS scheme aas it appeared in Vietnam era. I have plans to do at least one sccheme from every MARINE unit and numerous NAVY units also. If you have one in mind let me knnow and I'll see wht I can do for you. Heck I could even add your name to a certain plane if you ever had that done.

Very cool. I had a great time at Willow Grove. I'm from Jersey, so getting back to the North East for a few months was great. I still remember my first A-4 rides...strapping in...the smell of the LOX...the strange way our wingman just seemed to sit there as we gave him a form warmup at dusk, like it was yesterday. I still have my 131 patch somewhere.

As for paints, it just so happens that you did my two favorites right off the bat! I'm waiting for a few weeks before I get the A-4 though. I went a little crazy with the payware after a long respite from FSX and need to throttle myself back a bit! :-D

Deacon211
January 10th, 2013, 02:04
My Basic / Advanced Flying training then (and it is more or less the same today in the helo only RAN FAA) was done in the RAAF with fifteen months of ground school and flying training then returning to the RAN Fleet Air Arm at NAS Nowra. It took awhile before I was able to do my first carrier landing ever in the A4G - not aboard HMAS Melbourne which was just coming out of refit - on HMS Eagle which happened to be visiting our East Coast at the time. Being a newbie (sprog) I was only allowed to do touch and goes, later becoming carqual on MELBOURNE. If you like hairy stories then my second 'night deck landing' (hook up) during carqual was at least that - hairy! :-) SkyDrive and GoogleDrive have this PDF. On SkyDrive look in the 'Documents Various' folder for:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=cbcd63d6340707e6&sa=822839791#cid=CBCD63D6340707E6&id=CBCD63D6340707E6%21116

Ramp-Strike-01-Sept-71-no8.pdf (7.5Mb)

Most PDFs about the A4G combined have info on the very bumpy up and down Runway 08/26 at NAS Nowra. From the approach end of RW 26 there is a downdraft warning for westerly winds over 7 knots due to a deep gully along the approach path. This downdraft with stronger winds claimed many an aircraft and some lives over the years but not in the A4G era (good waveoff characteristics).

Wow, another great story!

I was only a member of the Six Trap Club before moving on to something more...vertical. ;-)

Deacon

SpazSinbad
January 10th, 2013, 02:18
In those years c.1966-7, just as I joined the Basic Aircrew Training, some large groups of RAN FAA pilots were trained at NAS Pensacola, with traps on the LEXINGTON with the T-28C, before going to Helo Training and then return to NAS Nowra for Wessex 31 conversion. Later some went to Vietnam via Iroquois training. and then to EMU unit in South Vietnam. It was a time when the RAN FAA was regenerating fixed wing again; but also increasing overall helo numbers for the new role with the new [fixed wing] USN aircraft. After Vietnam service some Iroquois/Wessex pilots, who had trained in USofA, went on to A4G [& S-2E/G] flying. Earlier in the early to mid 1960s the RAN FAA had been winding down - getting rid of fixed wing, to being what it is today - a helo only force. The Oz trained certainly envied the T-28C trained at the time. Later RAN A4G pilots exchanged with VT squadrons along with LSO training etc.

skyhawka4m
January 10th, 2013, 04:42
Very cool. I had a great time at Willow Grove. I'm from Jersey, so getting back to the North East for a few months was great. I still remember my first A-4 rides...strapping in...the smell of the LOX...the strange way our wingman just seemed to sit there as we gave him a form warmup at dusk, like it was yesterday. I still have my 131 patch somewhere.

As for paints, it just so happens that you did my two favorites right off the bat! I'm waiting for a few weeks before I get the A-4 though. I went a little crazy with the payware after a long respite from FSX and need to throttle myself back a bit! :-D

Were you in 131 and if so when? Do you know Ed Miranda?

skyhawka4m
January 10th, 2013, 06:58
Ok...so I have decided to do a complete overal repaint of my own instead of using anothers to do my layers on. Still a ways to go and once the basic paint is done markings scheme's should go pretty quickly. Numerous MARINE reseerve aircraft to be done along with a couple VC-12 anad VC-13 aircraft. Along with the repaints I will be supplying a seperate folder for optin fuel tank variations, and alternate bomb color textures. Aloowing the sim pilot to choose what they want their loadout to look like. Anyone having any suggestions please feel free to ask....I will see what I can do.

Ian Warren
January 10th, 2013, 15:45
:cool:Looking good A4man , we are getting further interest with the Skyhawk and suspect some ex-RNZAF boys having a looking to buy ...

skyhawka4m
January 10th, 2013, 16:21
I am hoping and praying for a TA-4 from Virtavia myself. I may end up doing a couple NZ birds also.....love the three tone scheme myself.

Deacon211
January 11th, 2013, 04:06
Were you in 131 and if so when? Do you know Ed Miranda?

That name sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it.

Technically, I was assigned to MAG-49 from May '90 to September '90. I had just finished TBS and had a six month wait for flight school to start. I had a great time in PA. In fact, I got married last year at the Black Bass Inn, north of New Hope just because of how much I have always loved that area.

Deacon

Deacon211
January 11th, 2013, 04:08
In those years c.1966-7, just as I joined the Basic Aircrew Training, some large groups of RAN FAA pilots were trained at NAS Pensacola, with traps on the LEXINGTON with the T-28C, before going to Helo Training and then return to NAS Nowra for Wessex 31 conversion. Later some went to Vietnam via Iroquois training. and then to EMU unit in South Vietnam. It was a time when the RAN FAA was regenerating fixed wing again; but also increasing overall helo numbers for the new role with the new [fixed wing] USN aircraft. After Vietnam service some Iroquois/Wessex pilots, who had trained in USofA, went on to A4G [& S-2E/G] flying. Earlier in the early to mid 1960s the RAN FAA had been winding down - getting rid of fixed wing, to being what it is today - a helo only force. The Oz trained certainly envied the T-28C trained at the time. Later RAN A4G pilots exchanged with VT squadrons along with LSO training etc.

I was a little later in the timeline. I flew the T-34C in the training command, having missed the T-28.

Would have been fun though to fly that big radial engine!

Deacon

skyhawka4m
January 11th, 2013, 07:20
That name sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it.

Technically, I was assigned to MAG-49 from May '90 to September '90. I had just finished TBS and had a six month wait for flight school to start. I had a great time in PA. In fact, I got married last year at the Black Bass Inn, north of New Hope just because of how much I have always loved that area.

Deacon

Well Ed was the Tech Rep. for McDonnel Douglas fro VMA-131, I believe his counter part was a guy named Chip?.......also a retired MARINE. Was a cool unit. Ben hancock was a pilot thee and he wound up flying with the Blues for a season and then went back for another year to fill in for someone. I did alot of photography on the ramp with them and miss not having the Skyhawks around. thats why I have been praying for a decent skyhawk for FSX.

I know the Black Bass....nice place!

Landman
January 11th, 2013, 07:35
I emailed Virtavia tech support (including a copy of my purchase receipt email) to ask how I can obtain the FDE update when it is ready and I haven't received a reply. Does anyone know how we go about obtaining the update when it is released?

skyhawka4m
January 11th, 2013, 10:42
I'm positive they will make it knnown right here. If not...trust me I will. I've tested a couple new ones for them and I think its much better and when all testing is done they will put it out for the public. I do believe some of the issues will be addressed but some may go untouched. the FDE will be addressed that I know.

Ian Warren
January 11th, 2013, 11:42
I am hoping and praying for a TA-4 from Virtavia myself. I may end up doing a couple NZ birds also.....love the three tone scheme myself.

Be good to see a TA-4 , if you need any photo material give me a nudge or any other details , of four A4 books on the shelf one covers the the countries use

from 2nd August 2011
This is one for every one but only two in stock and only worth NZ65$ on special at Mighty Ape , mine arrived this morn and it is chocker full off information , even has a NZFF connected to Tim 'Timmo' Barnes who brother was a A4 driver and plonking one in the ocean in 2001 and his words on the ejection , the entirety from development to the end , the updates and final politics , Oh heap off photos and diagrams , only published this year very up to date B-)
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/A4SkyhawkBookCustom.jpg
Good quality book Hard Cover and a whooping 367 pages :cool:

skyhawka4m
January 11th, 2013, 20:34
Be good to see a TA-4 , if you need any photo material give me a nudge or any other details , of four A4 books on the shelf one covers the the countries use

from 2nd August 2011
This is one for every one but only two in stock and only worth NZ65$ on special at Mighty Ape , mine arrived this morn and it is chocker full off information , even has a NZFF connected to Tim 'Timmo' Barnes who brother was a A4 driver and plonking one in the ocean in 2001 and his words on the ejection , the entirety from development to the end , the updates and final politics , Oh heap off photos and diagrams , only published this year very up to date B-)
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/A4SkyhawkBookCustom.jpg
Good quality book Hard Cover and a whooping 367 pages :cool:

HMMMMM.....I know I won't do any of the "late" birds cause they had the squader off tail but I know they had humpbacks A-4K's that were very sharp looking and had rounded tails I believe. I have books upon books on the A-4...along with a folder of over 5000 interent images I've collected over the last 10+ years, and also a rather good kodachrome collection too.

SpazSinbad
January 11th, 2013, 22:56
Don Simms and I exchanged a lot of information during his excellent book writing. Here is one example of the original TA-4K and A-4K under test in the USofA 1969.

skyhawka4m
January 12th, 2013, 05:07
Damn!!! Just noticed Iw as wrong...this is the scheme I was going to do but it too has the squarded off tail. I'm kinda picky about the plane being accurate......but....if I get enough people to say they don't mind that the tail is wrong, and its missing the large spine antenna...externally......I would give it a shot (keep it on my to do list).

By request my next up is VA-55, VA-192, and 2 or 3 VA-164 birds....another favorite unit for me because of LADY JESSIE.

mal998
January 12th, 2013, 05:24
Regarding updated FDE's; work is progressing but will take some time as there are 30-some-odd different aircraft that require updating and testing. Reports from my two SOH testors on the first 3 aircraft in the package have been very positive and those changes are being used as a template for the remaining aircraft upgrades. The side-slip issue has been resolved. Work continues.

Ian Warren
January 12th, 2013, 10:48
@ Mal that is great to hear , would'nt take much to put a squared tail on and a larger aerial WINK WINK ;) ..... :icon_lol:

@ A4Man , I would'nt worry about that little mistake .... some people here in Baa Baa land :sheep: say what !- the A4K had a hump :eek: ... :icon_lol: