PDA

View Full Version : Settings Question

Worthless
October 31st, 2012, 19:04
I generally fly with the "Flight Model Realism" set at easy, but recently became adventurous and moved up to medium. I hadn't noticed much significant difference until I start playing around with the P-39 stocker OH by The B-24 Guy. What I've run across is a pronounced tendency this AC has to yaw to the left. I expect this is due to Prop torque that this setting adds to the flight model. Question....No matter how much I trim the rudder, this AC won't fly straight without constant right stick. So, is there some way to adjust the trim ( or increase the effect ) to counter the left pull or is this actual "Realism". Did some single engine military AC truly require constant left rudder to overcome torque?

Robert John
November 1st, 2012, 05:07
Hi worthless,
This is actual "Realism" I believe that happens to all single propeller aircraft.
I have taken many real life flying lessons in single piston engine aircraft and you have to keep adjusting your direction and trim.
Its called P-factor.
RJ

Worthless
November 1st, 2012, 06:17
Thanks RJ. Understood that constant adjustments to rudder trim are necessary to fly a true course? Makes sense I guess, still, I would think you should be able to trim sufficient to cause the AC to wander to starboard too. I the case of the P-39 I can't set enough trim to compensate for the Port drift. My F4F doesn't seem to have this same tendency. I guess I was just wondering if there was some sort of fix or trick available to adjust the AC that would give the trim control more umf.

Allen
November 1st, 2012, 12:24
You can open the aircraft.cfg with notepad and look for

[flight_tuning]
cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0
parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0
induced_drag_scalar = 1.0
elevator_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_effectiveness = 1.0
rudder_effectiveness = 1.0
pitch_stability = 1.0
roll_stability = 1.0
yaw_stability = 1.0
elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0
rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

Change the aileron_trim_effectiveness and rudder_trim_effectiveness to something like 2.0 and see if that works...

Worthless
November 1st, 2012, 19:51
Thanks Allen. I'll give it a try.

Worthless
November 4th, 2012, 13:11
Sorry for the time lag but I just made the adjustments you recommended and I think that did the trick.

Allen
November 4th, 2012, 22:12
Good.

demorier
November 4th, 2012, 23:38
Just had a look at mine, it runs a 714th 1% aircraft cfg. file. And somewhere along the line I have run the old "Roll Damage Fix" utility on it. Flies like a bird.