PDA

View Full Version : OT - My Xp Windows cannot re-activate.

Pepere
October 31st, 2012, 07:11
Hi guys... I'm have a problem with XP - This morning when I fired up my computer I got a notice that my XP is no longer active and I must reactivate it. When I tried the blue window with the activation place it was blank. No place to put the key!! called MS, yuck, and they only wanted $ 99.00 to halp me!! Ya, good deal..... I may be getting a new machine in the future so I would rather not put any more $$ in this one. In the mean time, guys and gals, #1 any work around to get the product key working again. Or is it just fine to keep XP running as is?? Or any other advice??

Thanks

David

Sieggie
October 31st, 2012, 12:07
If it has in fact lost its activation key run this from the Start, Run

C:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

This will force it to reactivate. Make sure you have the big number ready to enter :)

Dave

Pepere
November 1st, 2012, 06:20
Thanks for the try.. But the window that comes up is a blank blue window. No place to place the key, which I have and MS has verified is good, this is the problem. I even tried to restore back about a month and it still comes up as an inactive XP and no way to reactive it?

David

Pepere
November 5th, 2012, 15:58
My compter no longer will even fire up.........

David

dharry
November 6th, 2012, 05:49
My compter no longer will even fire up.........

David

Sounds like your computer may have caught a nasty cold.

Is your hard drive making a lot of noise? Could be bad sectors. I seem to remember that you can boot up from the Windows install disc and select a repair option. Never tried it so can't say how well it works.

dandog
November 6th, 2012, 08:01
I have repaired my windows install. Boot from the Windows disk. Act like you are going to do an install. Do not choose repair console. When asked, click on repair current installation (after hitting F8 and agreeing to the legal mumbo jumbo). You will have to re-install all of the Windows OS updates afterwards. This should not affect any other installed programs. It's worth a shot!