PDA

View Full Version : Rules for AWR MacRobertson London-Melbourne?

Portia911
October 30th, 2012, 18:37
Been reading about the 2009 AWR to re-enact the '34 MacRoberston London to Melbourne race, but can't seem to find the actual rules used. Lots of attachments, pics etc seem to have been lost along the way. I've found the odd rule (like mandatory checkpoints list and race ceiling), but would like to know things like time add-on for refuelling stops.
I'd love to fly this race (offline) in a period aircraft and - to make it more interesting - be able to make comparisons with what those of you who ran that event in 2009 reported here.

If someone can provide a link or is able to send a copy of the rules and eligible craft (for the golden age category) I'd be most grateful. :salute:

Moses03
October 31st, 2012, 04:06
Hi P911,

I think I have a set of the rules somewhere. Will post what I can find when I get a chance.

Kevin

Willy
October 31st, 2012, 09:30
Apparently my set didn't make the move to the new comp.

Spookster67
October 31st, 2012, 10:31
I think this package is what you're after. Was a great event!

Willy
October 31st, 2012, 11:34
Thanks Martin!

This is one race that I'd like to fly again. Already have something new in mind.

Portia911
October 31st, 2012, 16:51
Excellent little 'package' - thank you muchly, Spookster! :guinness:

Dangerousdave26
October 31st, 2012, 17:02
One note

The handicapping system we used was flawed.

The intent was for the handicap to balance the scales and it did not.

In hindsight we should have used the handicapping system they used in the real race. It would have worked out much better.

Portia911
November 15th, 2012, 13:03
Well thanks to Spookster, I've now got enough knowledge to get myself into trouble with my attempt to replicate what y'all got up to back in 2009. I've 'acquired' a neat little Orion that seems to suit what I'm looking for for this task (period authentic, committee-approved, mid-range, reasonable speed, easy to fly, comes with the requisite AP, ADF).

I've got Duenna up and running (I think) but can't download the read-me (link doesn't work). Not sure if it contains any essential info but as there is no manual with the installation, the read-me would be nice to have. Anyone know if it is available anywhere other than the Duenna download site?
Thanks.

salt_air
November 15th, 2012, 13:43
Well thanks to Spookster, I've now got enough knowledge to get myself into trouble with my attempt to replicate what y'all got up to back in 2009. I've 'acquired' a neat little Orion that seems to suit what I'm looking for for this task (period authentic, committee-approved, mid-range, reasonable speed, easy to fly, comes with the requisite AP, ADF).

I've got Duenna up and running (I think) but can't download the read-me (link doesn't work). Not sure if it contains any essential info but as there is no manual with the installation, the read-me would be nice to have. Anyone know if it is available anywhere other than the Duenna download site?
Thanks.

Hi Portia911,

You shouldn't need the readme file for anything .... by now whatever was covered is moot.

That program has been utilized so much over the last 6 or 7 years that all of the "bugs" have been worked out.

If you have any problems with it, just post here with a description and what version of the simulator you are running.

Plenty of help available ....

"Blue Skies" on your way Down Under .... I have made that trip three times ... can't wait for your posts and screenshots.

Cheers,

Dangerousdave26
November 15th, 2012, 15:17
I don't think you want the read me anyway. It looks like it was never updated past version 0.106.

If you need help just look for me on the TeamSpeak Server.

You may need to let me know when you will be showing up if you don't find me right away.

I am normally in the Liar's Lounge. :icon_lol:

Portia911
November 15th, 2012, 16:59
Thanks guys, I'll forget about the Duenna read-me then.
Salty, I'll try taking and posting screen-shots next so I can post a little intro piece for my 'entry' in this event.

Dave, thanks for your kind offer. I don't have the technology to 'teamspeak' at this time, but will certainly look into it.

salt_air
November 15th, 2012, 17:58
Thanks guys, I'll forget about the Duenna read-me then.
Salty, I'll try taking and posting screen-shots next so I can post a little intro piece for my 'entry' in this event.

Dave, thanks for your kind offer. I don't have the technology to 'teamspeak' at this time, but will certainly look into it.

You can't beat voice communication for trouble shooting and completely resolving issues.

Teamspeak is free ....

Not just on monetary cost, but it's a small download and takes up very little room on your machine and doesn't make an awful big footprint on your internet connection.

A short "meeting" on Teamspeak 3 .... minutes will bring to resolve what would take weeks on this forum.

Most get frustrated at the timeline and give up ... that's sad because the answer and resolution are at hand and readily available.

I'm salt_air and I approve this message .... :wavey:

Portia911
November 16th, 2012, 00:17
Following the CAA's ruling banning single-engine (and single-crew) airliners, the Phillips Petroleum Company of Bartlesville OK, got a good deal on an American Airways Lockheed Orion that had suddenly become surplus to the airline's requirements.
Phillips were halfway through refitting the Orion as en executive PR vehicle, when the potential promotion opportunity offered by the MacRobertson Air Race was identified. The recently added hardwood saloon bar was hastily removed, the company's corporate colours painted on (thanks to John Barner's repaint), and the Orion shipped off to Felixstowe, England. A short haul by rail to the nearby (and in 1934, near-new) Ipswich Airport (EGSE) allowed for a couple of days unpacking and race preparations, before a final short test-flight to Mildenhall - the official startline for this aerial marathon.

Portia911
November 16th, 2012, 04:35
Thanks for your indulgence, folks. Will do these 'time-stamp' posts when I can (and assuming this is more than a 1-flight campaign!)

Leaving shortly: EGUN - EDDP (Halle-Leipzig, Germany) :salute:

salt_air
November 16th, 2012, 06:26
Tally Ho indeed pilot!

Great storyline and a handsome steed from a most reputable manufacturer.

Blue Skies Portia911!

Portia911
November 16th, 2012, 07:18
Thanks salt_air. :wavey:

Down in one piece at Leipzig. Prost! :icon29:

Willy
November 16th, 2012, 09:03
It's a long trip, but worth it! :guinness:

Portia911
November 16th, 2012, 14:13
Cheers, Willy

Ding, ding . . . Round 2
Departing Leipzig for Belgrade (EDDP - LYBE)
Cheerio!

Portia911
November 16th, 2012, 17:35
Second leg complete - down at Belgrade. :sleep:

Portia911
November 16th, 2012, 20:20
Two flights to get my race underway. Duenna seems to be doing its thing (yay!).
I had an easy run from Mildenhall to Leipzig. Nice flying weather with a handy tailwind for most of the run.
Leipzig to Belgrade was a little longer, and there was a steady wind moving from my 3 o'clock round to 1 o'clock by the time I landed.

Pics taken minutes after takeoff, over Suffolk; and approaching Dutch coast (Leiden)

Portia911
November 16th, 2012, 20:34
A couple of pics + Duenna from my second leg (EDDP - LYBE):
taking off from Leipzig; crossing Czech border; approach at Belgrade

Dangerousdave26
November 17th, 2012, 03:37
Good Show so far :icon29:

salt_air
November 17th, 2012, 05:13
Yeah .... we've got a contender here .... nice work pilot!

Wait .... what's this I see great screenshots and (green) duenna graphics posted?

First time out, no questions and everything is in fine working order ... whew!

Happy Trails Sir!

Dangerousdave26
November 17th, 2012, 12:42
Wait .... what's this I see great screenshots and (green) duenna graphics posted?

First time out, no questions and everything is in fine working order ... whew!

LOL

Let the recruiting race begin! :icon_lol:

That is refreshing to see.

Portia911
November 17th, 2012, 13:52
Thanks Gents, 'tis beginners luck, surely. But nice to know I have duenna working as it should.

Now tell me, on arrival does duenna log the end of the flight the moment you touch down/ turn off the runway proper/ or not until you park and switch off?

For the immersion factor it would be nice to taxi to a suitable gate, taking in the airport scenery, waving to the spectators and generally feeling good about being down safely. But if all that is adding precious minutes to the logged time, one would perhaps be better pulling off the runway at the first opportunity and switching off on the first bit of infield grass you come across (?)

Off to plot safe passage through the (old) Yugoslav mountains . . . :icon_eek:

Dangerousdave26
November 17th, 2012, 15:52
When you post your next leg include the text file. I will show you how to read it.

robert41
November 17th, 2012, 17:42
Good show indeed. I missed the last race. Looked like a lot of fun.
Also, there is a MacRobertson scenery available for FSX. Makes it even more immersive. I'll try and find where I got it from.

Portia911
November 18th, 2012, 04:32
When you post your next leg include the text file. I will show you how to read it.

Thanks Dave. Will do.
Thanks also, Rob for your tip re: scenery - sounds interesting.

Ok, here goes the next leg. LYBE - LGAT

Portia911
November 18th, 2012, 07:31
Down intact at Athens. :jump:

Portia911
November 18th, 2012, 07:44
For Dave: latest Duenna txt file (LYBE - LGAT). :salute:

Dangerousdave26
November 18th, 2012, 08:06
Duenna logs your position from the time you start duenna to the time it ends. Normally we say picks up the Baton and Drops it as start and end. This is Baton time in the log.

Flight time is the time you leave the ground until you land.

In the log OnGround = 1 is when you are on the ground. = 0 is of course flying.

The logging intervals I have never been able to figure out what exactly changes them.

The program logs more frequently when on the ground. Once in level flight it looks that the logging goes to ever 10 minutes.

Flight-Points:
Date/Time(UTC); Latitude; Longitude; Altitude; VS; GS; KIAS; OnGround
18/11/2012 13:35:36; 44.822088; 20.300819; 341; 3; 95; 108; 1
18/11/2012 13:35:37; 44.821825; 20.301409; 341; -2; 97; 110; 1
18/11/2012 13:35:38; 44.821559; 20.302006; 341; -2; 99; 112; 1
18/11/2012 13:35:39; 44.821292; 20.302607; 342; 43; 101; 113; 0
18/11/2012 13:35:41; 44.821023; 20.303213; 343; 60; 102; 114; 0
18/11/2012 13:35:42; 44.820747; 20.303835; 345; 114; 103; 115; 0

PRB
November 18th, 2012, 11:50
A nice choice of airplanes for this great event, Portia911. This is the one I flew in our MacRobertson Race in 2009. Didn't win, but had a lot of fun, and this plane is great fun to fly. Good luck on your adventure!

- Paul

Portia911
November 18th, 2012, 12:35
Thanks Dave, I can now relax on touch-down and enjoy 'cruising' to a suitable stopping place at each new airport. :salute:

Hi Paul - thanks for posting the pic of your Orion - nice clean look there. It's a shame so many attachments from the older posts are gone. I saw plenty of comment on the skins people were lining up for this race with in 2009, but sadly there are precious few viewable now.

Of course, I had a close look at your race report post to get approximate flight times for this bird. As you say, it's very nice to fly - just looses the competitive edge through its range limitations, but fun - yes! :wiggle:

robert41
November 18th, 2012, 13:01
I found the MacRobertson scenery package for FSX.
By Jaap van Hees.
https://silvercloud-store.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29842

Portia911
November 18th, 2012, 17:15
Thanks Rob - will definitely take a closer look at this download. Was it released at the time of the 2009 race I wonder - did anyone use it in that contest (?) and how about the frame-rate hit. hmmmm

Might have to ponder that over another ouzo . . .
:isadizzy:

Portia911
November 18th, 2012, 21:55
Some pics of scenery en route, Belgrade to Athens:

1. Greece's northern border - likely the last snow I'll see for a while!
2. Cruising by Mt. Ossa
3. Lovely morning at Hellinikon, Athens

. . . now to plot me a course for Cyprus. :wavey:

Portia911
November 18th, 2012, 23:13
Off again into the Mediterranean blue (that is, sky not sea!) . . . LGAT - LCRA

Portia911
November 19th, 2012, 02:27
Landed at Akrotiri. Fourth leg completed. :icon29:

Dangerousdave26
November 19th, 2012, 04:48
I forgot to mention

The baton should drop when you come to a complete stop.

If the winds are strong enough you may need to turn cross wind to get the baton to drop. That will only happen when the winds are over 45 kts which is the default baton pickup speed.

Portia911
November 19th, 2012, 09:57
Thanks Dave, that is good to know. I would've been quite stuck otherwise. :icon34:

A couple of pics from my Mediterranean tour (Mikonos + generic). Next destination, the check-point at Baghdad . . .

Willy
November 19th, 2012, 11:30
Speaking of Baghdad, here's the only screenshot I managed to save from my 2009 modern era L-M flight. The Cessna 337 made the trip pretty well. Not fast enough to win, but fast enough to let me do two runs at it. (the other was in Milton's Beech 18)

Portia911
November 19th, 2012, 12:16
Nice shot, Willy. Looks like you had just enough light for a classy pic and a safe landing.

Portia911
November 19th, 2012, 13:20
Loading up ready for a trek into the desert. LCRA - ORBI.
Precious few NDBs to be found! :mixedsmi:

Portia911
November 19th, 2012, 16:58
Baton down and 'checked' in at Baghdad. :wavey:

Portia911
November 19th, 2012, 20:47
LCRA - ORBI

1. leaving Cyprus
2. climbing to clear Qurnat as Sawda (Lebanon)
3. desert landscape, Anbar, Western Iraq
4. Ramadi - following the Euphrates to Baghdad

salt_air
November 19th, 2012, 21:38
Some splendid progress is being made on this effort.

Great screenshots and an awesome documentary.

"Well Played" I believe the saying goes.

Blue Skies!

Portia911
November 19th, 2012, 23:42
Thank ye kindly, salt_air. :icon29:

And after that refreshing ale, I have my charts marked up ready for a flight down to Bushehr [ORBI - OIBB] so I'd best be on my way. Cheerio!

Portia911
November 20th, 2012, 02:26
Baton is down at Bushehr. :jump:

Portia911
November 20th, 2012, 22:44
Well, that was a bit of drama - more in keeping with the spirit of adventure that no doubt fueled this event in 1934.

I was approaching Bushehr - a 2.5 hour flight from Baghdad - flying just over 2000 feet with the airfield in sight, when suddenly my trusty Lockheed was shrouded in mist. No doubt a 15-minute weather update had re-set the conditions over Bushehr dramatically and sea-fog (or something similar) had suddenly enveloped this part of the Persian Gulf.
No runway, not even any land in sight, although I could make out the waves directly below. The accompanying turbulence meant I was tossed about with almost no visual reference points. With half an eye on the water surface, I focused on my instruments to fly level and straight toward the Bushehr NDB signal.
Bushehr airport is perfectly aligned for a straight-in approach from Baghdad, so I knew I just had to 'follow the beam'. I figured if I could see the water below, I would be able to see the land and runway once I got a little closer - so I slowed further and lowered my gear and flaps, concentrating on my heading and letting the Orion descend even tho I couldn't see any land.
This was a little disconcerting, but after a few moments a blur of land appeared through the mist and I soon located the airport. I was a little higher and closer than I needed to be so I closed the throttle and dropped the remaining flaps to get down and dirty. I wasn't keen to try a go-around in these conditions.
The final bit got easy as my view improved and i coasted in to land - but it was certainly the most challenging leg of my journey so far.

One pic from an earlier, more relaxed, part of this leg - flying over the Tigris near Numaniyah.

robert41
November 21st, 2012, 00:12
Thanks Rob - will definitely take a closer look at this download. Was it released at the time of the 2009 race I wonder - did anyone use it in that contest (?) and how about the frame-rate hit. hmmmm

Hi Portia. Performance is good on my machine. Released in 2011, no one used this scenery in this event.
Enjoy.

Portia911
November 21st, 2012, 23:42
Self-imposed challenge as I try to max the fuel range for the Orion and go 654 nm, OIBB - OPGD.
Baton picked up. Tally-ho!

Portia911
November 22nd, 2012, 03:21
Safely down at Gwadar.

Portia911
November 23rd, 2012, 07:38
Well that turned out to be no great challenge. I dog-legged to Gwadar after heading too far inland after Bandar-e-Abbas (a paucity of NDBs in this part of the world don't you know!) - yet still had plenty of fuel.
On calculations from that 'economy-run' the little Lockheed could go 700 maybe even 750 nm if it had to. I might have to re-think my stops for some of the remaining legs. :mixedsmi:

Pics leaving Bushehr (in a cooling shower of rain) and then heading east, into the heat and dust . . .

Portia911
November 24th, 2012, 05:23
Ready for take-off, OPGD - VIJO. :wavey:

Portia911
November 24th, 2012, 09:00
Safely down at Jodhpur.

salt_air
November 24th, 2012, 11:31
Safely down at Jodhpur.

ahhh Yes .... things are doing well.

"Jodhpur has a number of restaurants and eating-places.

You can every cuisine in Jodhpur, ranging from Indian to Chinese to Continental to Mughlai cuisine.

While there, do not forget to try the famous Kachouri (a snack eaten with chutney).

Those with a sweet tooth should try laddoos, which simply melt in your mouth. And not to forget, do have a tall glass of buttermilk or 'lassi'."

Longer legs are not recommended until after you have completely digested these local favorites ... :wiggle:

I'll be happy to pick up the dinner bill .... I'm sure Willy will open up a tab for your beverages if you blow in his ear.

Happy Trails,

Dangerousdave26
November 24th, 2012, 13:02
If I remember correctly is was in the MacRobertson race that I almost missed an NDB out over the water somewhere. By the time I got it in range it was at a 90 degree angle to me. Now that was a dog leg. It was a 75nm NDB.

Speed on with the long legs that is what I did. :icon_lol:

Portia911
November 24th, 2012, 13:45
Hello chaps, nice of you to drop by.

There's no 'almost missing' the NDB here, Dave - there isn't one! And when the preceeding half hour's travel is wrapped in a sand storm, I can tell you one is very pleased to be able to find Jodhpur. I had the Jaipur frequency dialled in, as overshooting became seriously likely - but just as I was wondering about landing penalties or even the end of my race, I dropped into clear air at about 3500' and there was Jodhpur.

Thanks salt_air for your tips on local culinary delights - but I might look up Willy's bar first and see what he can recommend to wash all that sand out of my mouth. :icon29: :icon29: :icon29:

Willy
November 24th, 2012, 15:38
Guiness is good for you... :guinness::icon_lol:

Portia911
November 24th, 2012, 16:05
Guiness is good for you... :guinness::icon_lol:

T' be suure!
. . . so let's line a few up for my new AWR friends :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

cheers, lads!

Portia911
November 25th, 2012, 22:05
Ok, so after a big night out and about in Jodhpur - I've remembered where I parked the Orion, and reckon if I sit still in it for a few minutes, I'll pretty quick remember why I am here and, more importantly, how to fly the bastard!

As soon as that all happens, I'll be off for checkpoint #2: Allahabad
[VIJO - VIAL]

Portia911
November 26th, 2012, 00:51
Arrived after a milk-run to Allahabad. :wavey:

salt_air
November 26th, 2012, 08:26
:jump:

Portia911
November 28th, 2012, 05:37
Baton picked up, VIAL - VECC.

Portia911
November 28th, 2012, 08:05
Baton is down at Calcutta. :icon29:

Dangerousdave26
November 28th, 2012, 17:43
Ah Calcutta :applause:

Portia911
November 28th, 2012, 21:56
A pic from my dawn departure from Allahabad . . . just running the engine up ready to roll. :wavey:

teson1
November 29th, 2012, 09:16
Good show, Portia.
It's a pleasure to follow along your flights, and to dig out some old memories.
Got some pretty strong ones linked to that area in particular:icon_lol:
Keep on the good flights!

Portia911
November 29th, 2012, 23:48
You are very welcome, teson. Thanks for your interest.
Obviously I'm not going to make Melbourne by the end of November, but given this is a solo competition, I think I'll grant myself an extension. :icon_lol:

Portia911
November 30th, 2012, 14:39
Early morning departure. VECC - VYYY
Tally ho!

Portia911
November 30th, 2012, 18:09
Arrived safely at Rangoon (Yangon). :icon29:

Portia911
November 30th, 2012, 20:59
Pics from latest flight:
1. hazy morning at Calcutta
2. over Sundarban, Bay of Bengal
3. Burma's Myitmaka river
4. Rangoon

Portia911
December 2nd, 2012, 00:17
Ready for take-off, VYYY - WMKA.
This will be my longest leg to date (690 nm)

Portia911
December 2nd, 2012, 23:02
Well for those of you following my misadventures, you'll be relieved to know I didn't follow in the footsteps of Guynemer, Kingsford-Smith and Earhart - and just fly into history without a trace. I ran low on fuel and had to land (quite safely) at Trang in southern Thailand - nearly 100 nm short of my intended destination, Alor Star.

Don't really know what went wrong, other than I obviously used too much fuel trying to maintain some pace against a rather persistent 13 kt headwind for most of the last 2 hours of my flight.

The rules suggest this would be a 1 hour penalty for refuelling at an unprepared airfield. I should comfortably be able to reach the next compulsory checkpoint at Singapore from here (unless I have a leaking fuel tank). My strategy is to take on extra 'liquid' here in Trang tonight (Singha is not a bad drop after all!), and then sally forth . . .
:icon29: