PDA

View Full Version : Having fun with ORBX's new West Yellowstone!

Killbilly
October 30th, 2012, 13:43
I didn't know it came with forest fires (selectable from the control panel) when I bought it, but they're a really nice bonus!

http://imageshack.us/a/img39/4483/fire1h.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/fire1h.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img641/3544/fire2x.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/fire2x.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img411/8246/fire3o.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/411/fire3o.jpg/)

The airport and surrounding area are great too, of course; but I've had hours of fun bombing fires. Thanks, ORBX!

Dain Arns
October 30th, 2012, 13:56
I didn't know it came with forest fires (selectable from the control panel) when I bought it, but they're a really nice bonus!
The airport and surrounding area are great too, of course; but I've had hours of fun bombing fires. Thanks, ORBX!

Wasn't a nice bonus when we were fighting the actual fires in real life, back in 1988. :icon_lol:

I guess I'll have to break down and buy this one.
It is a fairly good representation of the airport, from viewing the sceenshots.
I know, I spent many hours there over the years.

Although it comes with 5 season 'imagery', in real life the airport is closed right now until May.
Technically, KWYS is only open May to October.
It snows so much during the winter in West Yellowstone, you couldn't plow the runway fast enough, let alone have a place to dump the snow. :icon_lol:
The snowmobilers love the wide open space though.

Killbilly
October 30th, 2012, 14:12
Wasn't a nice bonus when we were fighting the actual fires in real life, back in 1988.

Yeah, you're telling me. I was there, too. I was one of the volunteers laying pipe. We were a ways from the fire line, but I can still gag on the smoke if I think about it hard enough. I was living in Rexburg, Idaho at the time, and even that far away over the mountains the smoke was hard to take.

Daveroo
October 30th, 2012, 15:01
i left auburn california on a type 1 grass/brush rig,6 man rig,CDF style,2 crew in front,engineer and captain in front,and four firefighters on two bench seats in the rear.we left around 8 pm,we were number 3 in the 3rd strike team of a 5 strike team convoy,4 teams of 5 grass/brush engines/plus a BC truck(no SUVs then)and one team of 5 type 3 (then) structure rigs/plus BC rig,for 30 units all together ,normally we would long distance without lights or anthing,just ambers for safety.but one of our guys,a captain at the time had a great sense of "fun" and he decided to go "code two" all the way to yellowstone,,,,,,,,so we did,,,,,,was pretty cool to see alll tose flashing red lights all lined up like that....lol..but we only made it to Elko NV when we got diverted to a fire somewhere in Idaho,but before we could even change freeways...we got cancled and sent home...i was sooooo disapointed we had to go home...

airattackimages
October 30th, 2012, 16:56
Thats badass!

Javis
October 30th, 2012, 20:09
... but I've had hours of fun bombing fires.

Did it help ?... I.e. did you manage to actually kill the fires ?.... ( that would be a first in FS and long waited for too, atleast by me.. )

Killbilly
October 30th, 2012, 20:53
Did it help ?... I.e. did you manage to actually kill te fires ?.... ( that would be a first in FS and long waited for too, atleast by me.. )

Unfortunately not. However, I was able to "contain" the fires -- they didn't spread at all. :wiggle:

Javis
October 30th, 2012, 21:28
Unfortunately not. However, I was able to "contain" the fires -- they didn't spread at all. :wiggle:

Hehe.... well, atleast that's something.. :d

Pity though... i suppose if anyone could get it working ( actually kill fires after dropping retardant at the correct spot ) it would be Orbx, wouldn't it... No clue why it seems to remain so difficult ( not to say 'impossible' ) to implement. It would make way for lots of exiting flying in lots of colourful and interesting aircraft. We could play 'Always' over and over again. Maybe someday, huh.... Until then, have fun containing fires. :costum:

( C'mon Orbx!! You started 'em (the fires) now let us put 'em out! Put your minds to it! You can do it! :applause::ernae::salute: )

ramjet
November 1st, 2012, 08:01

Mr. Killbilly,

Your shots are terrific and I also want to rig my copy of the Airsprayer A-26 for fire control. That is an excellent model but would you please tell how you got the bomb bay doors to activate and the fire retardant to appear?

Thank you, Cal

MCDesigns
November 1st, 2012, 14:19
Impressive shots, will have to check out this scenery now. How's performance?

Killbilly
November 1st, 2012, 14:21
Mr. Killbilly,

Your shots are terrific and I also want to rig my copy of the Airsprayer A-26 for fire control. That is an excellent model but would you please tell how you got the bomb bay doors to activate and the fire retardant to appear?

Thank you, Cal

The bomb bay will open with your spoiler key. The retardant effect I used is from Aerosoft's payware Beaver, but you could use another effect if you don't own that plane. Open the aircraft.cfg file and add the following under [SMOKESYSTEM]:
smoke.0=0.00, -1.00, -2.40, fx_fire_retardant

If you don't have the Beaver, replace the "fx_fire_retardant" part with some other effect. I'm sure there are other planes out there that you could borrow an effect from.

The retardant will then drop when you press the smoke key. It's not entirely realistic, I know, but it works pretty well for me. The only caveat is that all versions of your A-26 will drop retardant when you press the smoke key, so be warned. You can set your Air Spray model up in it's own folder, but it's a bit of work.

Good luck and have fun!

Killbilly
November 1st, 2012, 14:24
Impressive shots, will have to check out this scenery now. How's performance?

Performance is as good (if not a little better) than I get with other ORBX airports. It's a little (1-2 FPS) faster than Jackson Hole on my rig.

Timbohobo
November 2nd, 2012, 17:43
Hi guys, thanks for the kind comments, glad to see your all enjoying the fires, we will be adding even more in our upcoming SP1

Btw can someone help me put a fire-drop thingy on the CS130? ... scenery I can mold nd shape with my bare hands blindfolded... but altering aircraft.cfgs is like trying to eat spaghetti with a spoon :)

Cheers
Tim Harris

Timbohobo
December 2nd, 2012, 17:58
SP1 for KWYS released http://www.fullterrain.com/support.html

Killbilly
December 2nd, 2012, 19:32
Sweet! Thanks!

airattackimages
December 3rd, 2012, 09:47
Hi guys, thanks for the kind comments, glad to see your all enjoying the fires, we will be adding even more in our upcoming SP1

Btw can someone help me put a fire-drop thingy on the CS130? ... scenery I can mold nd shape with my bare hands blindfolded... but altering aircraft.cfgs is like trying to eat spaghetti with a spoon :)

Cheers
Tim Harris
When I get back on my desktop I can send you my cfg entry for my cs130.