PDA

View Full Version : Peacemaker 370

Allen
October 29th, 2012, 13:52
My work in progress Crimson Skies William and Colt Peacemaker 370. I got most of the main 3D work done unless I want to try to do the Zep landing hook that is next to usless in CFS2. Here are some screens. Everything subject change...

voyager
October 29th, 2012, 18:01
Hi Allen,

Looks Good!Hope you are planning other CS planes, too.

A Zep landing hook in CFS2 is not completely next to usless. Doug Westfall (I believe) did a F9C-2 that included a mission that simulated a launch from and trap on an airship. A bit tricky but it could be done. Can't remember the file name. Maybe someone knows.

voyager

voyager
October 29th, 2012, 18:20
Can't find it here but it is at Simviation. AirshipDockingFlightv130.zip

voyager

MaskRider
October 29th, 2012, 20:01
Yep, thats the one!

AirshipDockingFlightv130.zip by Doug Westfall, David Larsen

Get it at this page over at Simviation: http://www.simviation.com/1/browse-Aircraft-83-44?mark=31639#31639

Includes the Curtiss F9C-2 Sparrowhawk fighter and the airships USS Macon and USS Akron.

Released in august 2001!

I remember because this pack made the scene right around the time that I became unhealthily interested in CFS2 and was just starting to dabble in scenery. The place to be back in those days was CFS2 Online!

Cheers,
MR

Allen
October 29th, 2012, 22:21
I do know of the USS Macon and USS Akron pack. What little I do call of it was that it used ship platforms and cables like stock carrers do but USS Macon and USS Akron have them on the under side and can only work with F9C-2 Sparrowhawk that comes with it.

Each aircraft would have to have its own Zep in order to land and take off. I have an idea how to maybe get around this but it has been so long since I've seen any of USS Macon and USS Akron and have vary little knowledge of platforms and cables...

The USS Macon and USS Akron should make a good test bed for my idea.

sc7500
October 30th, 2012, 06:28
Only just absorbing my first cup of coffee.....

But - couldn't we add cables in DPEdit - like the trap wires on the deck of a carrier - to a Balloon / Dirigible ?

SC
:kilroy:

oldwheat
October 30th, 2012, 09:27
I wondered the same thing. Doug Westfall's models use the airships as 'flying ships' in missions but if cables could be applied to aircraft models it would be even cooler!

Allen
October 30th, 2012, 12:43
Only just absorbing my first cup of coffee.....

But - couldn't we add cables in DPEdit - like the trap wires on the deck of a carrier - to a Balloon / Dirigible ?

SC
:kilroy:

Platforms and Cables are done in the ship.cfg. Yes and No. See below.

I wondered the same thing. Doug Westfall's models use the airships as 'flying ships' in missions but if cables could be applied to aircraft models it would be even cooler!

From the USS Akron Read me it sounds like it dosn't work well if ship platforms and cables are used on an aircraft
*** Creator's Notes:
I have attempted to recreate a significant time-period in aviation history. A pilot had to land his Sparrowhawk at it's stall speed onto a moving Airship's trapeeze. It was not a simple task.
I have encountered many limitations during the development of this CFS2 mission, but I think that it is still similar to the experience faced by these pilots.

1) A CFS2 'ship' will not go fast enough, so I had to add flaps to the Sparrowhawk.

2) CFS2 'Tailhooks' won't work upside down, so I had to add a landing platform with cables (transparent) underneath the trapeeze.

3) CFS2 'Flying Carriers' blank out right before you trap on them when the aircraft is 'on top' of the landing deck, so I had to use a ship model instead.

4) CFS2 ignores mission 'speed' and 'height' parameters when in a mission.

5) The apparent maximum height for a CFS2 visual object is well less than 500'. So ... (132' tall airship - trapeeze - deck) = you are 200' off the water for all operations. GEEZ !!!

6) About a hundred more problems.

EDITZ:

Also Platforms and Cables do not work on aircraft. To get around the Zep blanking out I used the DP file with 4 [EXTRA.#]s that used fx_mzlflsh_m show the out line of the landing platform. I've tried landing than crashing into the platform. They don't work on aircraft....

Also my idea to get around each aircraft having to have its own Zep in order to land and take off failed.

Allen
November 2nd, 2012, 18:15
I kind of flushed a few days away on CFS2 Zeppelin Research... I still may flush a few more. The screen shots below will show why...

Anyway...

I got the Exterior and Interior models merged plus LOD 50. (The polygon count was so low I was able to skip LOD 70) I have still make LOD 25 and 10. I also made up a Blake Aviation Security textue for it. It and the Brit texture need a damage texture still.

The DP should be done but I still have to run some test on it but the guns, bombs and rockets are done. Contact points are done also.

The B24 Guy
November 3rd, 2012, 06:49
Nice Allen,
You are adding a whole new dimension to this old sim.

Regards,
B24Guy

Allen
November 3rd, 2012, 15:07
I'm trying.. Zeppelins are a :censored:. Right now it is nothing more than screen shot material. As a ship it dosn't work. I covered a lot of it in the Zeppelin Research thread.

If there is hope if geting any workable Zeppelin in CFS2 it will have to be as a aircraft but one big prob is the collision bubble and the other is any time 2 aircraft collide, both are "Shot Down". I can't have the Zep be destroyed by an aircraft hitting it. That now how it works in Crimson Skies.

My idea is to turn the collision bubble off or make it vary small and line the inside of the Zep with really really strong guns that will only fire if a plane flys inside the Zep but this only works on enemy planes. The other idea is to see if I can make and put 1 or many effects around the Zep that will act like a collision bubble.

Both may not work if the AI is using the collision bubble as a range to know when to open fire and pull away before it crashes into a target...

Allen
November 6th, 2012, 09:57
All done and uploaded!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=55&linkid=14924

Also hard landings are not a good idea....

tobob
November 6th, 2012, 15:16
Really cool Allen! I love Crimson Skies and its nice to see it live on in CFS2.

Thank you! :salute:

tobob