PDA

View Full Version : T28D R1820 86A engine

anthony31
October 28th, 2012, 01:02
Just finished the engine for my T28D. Note that it isn't aligned properly yet. Only the prop to do and then I'm pretty much finished with the exterior,

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2012/10/28/G9s4Q.jpg

bstolle
October 28th, 2012, 01:06
Looks great! I think the prop would be visible already if you would have installed Acceleration ;)

papab
October 28th, 2012, 02:22
WOW!
What detail...

This will be in my hanger...
Rick

stansdds
October 28th, 2012, 05:41
Wow! Is this thing also going to drip oil? Real T-28's do, at least until all the oil has leaked out of the engine. Something about Wright's radial engines, they seemed to ooze more oil than Pratt & Whitney's radials.

MudMarine
October 28th, 2012, 05:43
OH WOW! ART!! Beautiful!

robcap
October 28th, 2012, 06:05
Who, is the prop governer animated as well? (we did that on our DC2 :kilroy:)
Great looking engine !!

Cheers, Rob

Daube
October 28th, 2012, 06:12
Impressive !! :isadizzy:

Lewis-A2A
October 28th, 2012, 06:24
Looks great! I think the prop would be visible already if you would have installed Acceleration ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tok=E1RMfczkKQmuxVEu3E-TkQ&cp=7&gs_id=6p&xhr=t&q=facepalm&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bpcl=35466521&biw=1680&bih=897&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=B0CNULCkGoix0QXNx4G4Cw

Lewis-A2A
October 28th, 2012, 06:25
Looking good Anthony, an aircraft with a really interesting career.

Snurdley
October 28th, 2012, 09:25
This will be a buy for me if the pilot isn't a midget. ;) Beautiful work.

CodyValkyrie
October 28th, 2012, 09:32
As always your attention to detail is superb. I hope to add this bird to my hangar at some point. Love what you do mate.

fliger747
October 28th, 2012, 10:30
Most of my round engine buddies fly the R2800, though I have met a guy nearby who owns a T28. The joke about the Pratts was also siminar... "How do you know when Pratt is out of oil... It stops leaking".

Nice work. T

Tako_Kichi
October 28th, 2012, 10:40
"How do you know when Pratt is out of oil... It stops leaking".
The same could be said about the old Triumph or Norton motorcycle engines. :icon_lol:

I remember reading an article on the B377 Stratocruiser before A2A released theirs and one comment was that the B377 was range limited not by fuel but by engine oil. Apparently they would run out of oil before they ran out of fuel.

hairyspin
October 28th, 2012, 12:03
I believe the fourth cylinder head bolt on the fifth pot needs a one-sixth turn to be properly tight. Best to do it before the FAA come calling... :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Ian Warren
October 28th, 2012, 12:42
Two comments that has stuck with me ever since the 1988 Australian Bicentennial Air Show .. the first time i saw a T-28

Comment: 1 - "I don't no but sounds like he has a couple spark plug cables loose"
and we were in between ! :eek:
Comment : 2 - "Listen to that F'n idiot, those Boomerangs sound just like that"

Think we need a book printed 'Airshow guide for Dummies' :cool:

Looking good Ants :salute:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

anthony31
October 28th, 2012, 13:31
Who, is the prop governer animated as well? (we did that on our DC2 :kilroy:)
Great looking engine !!

Cheers, Rob

Not animated yet but I hope to do so once I figure out exactly how it works. I know there is a pin on the bottom of the wheel and there is a small block on the assembly so it can't rotate any further anticlockwise from the position it is in at the moment.

Maybe I will have to get your DC-2 to see it in action.

It was very difficult to get video of the governor in action while in flight.

Re Oil: On the day I took the pics the T28 had brought down about half a dozen containers of oil (and big ones too) for the AN-2 that was flying at the same airshow.

BTW I've always had problems getting my pilots to fit into the aircraft and usually end up having to downsize them a bit. Anyone with my Sierra will notice how the pilot and passenger actually have to duck their heads when the canopy is opened.

fsxar177
October 28th, 2012, 13:52
Looking pretty dog-gone sweet Anthony!

clmooring
October 28th, 2012, 17:34
It is looking very good! I cant wait for the opportunity to whip the old plastic out for her. Maybe before Christmas or the new year?

Oh by the way.... Raindrops on the canopy? Sitting here in norfolk enjoying the pre-Sandy down pours and wind while playing around on FSX. Planes with rain on the canopy really add to the realism. :jump:

anthony31
October 29th, 2012, 14:31
It is looking very good! I cant wait for the opportunity to whip the old plastic out for her. Maybe before Christmas or the new year?

Oh by the way.... Raindrops on the canopy? Sitting here in norfolk enjoying the pre-Sandy down pours and wind while playing around on FSX. Planes with rain on the canopy really add to the realism. :jump:

No chance to be done before the end of the year. Still have to do the interior, sounds, flight dynamics, manual, repaints etc etc. At least I don't have to make a GPS for this. That will save a month of coding.

Ian Warren
October 29th, 2012, 15:53
At least I don't have to make a GPS for this. That will save a month of coding.
Who wants a cheeky cheating GPS :icon_lol: With all the flight map material you can get today ... make it as real as your can get :cool:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

stansdds
October 30th, 2012, 03:57
As real as you can get? Modern or vintage real? It's pretty common to see modern comms and a gps in restored aircraft. Now if you are going for factory original, that's a different story.

clmooring
October 30th, 2012, 08:26
As real as you can get? Modern or vintage real? It's pretty common to see modern comms and a gps in restored aircraft. Now if you are going for factory original, that's a different story.

I guess I hate to say it, but I prefer more updated, modern avionics in old warbirds and military trainers.

But I'll take the T28 anyway she comes!

Snurdley
October 30th, 2012, 14:49
BTW I've always had problems getting my pilots to fit into the aircraft and usually end up having to downsize them a bit. Anyone with my Sierra will notice how the pilot and passenger actually have to duck their heads when the canopy is opened.

I was referring to a model from a different company :) I won't mention which one for fear of being tarred and feathered for critiquing payware. Yours look great.

stansdds
November 1st, 2012, 02:14
I guess I hate to say it, but I prefer more updated, modern avionics in old warbirds and military trainers.

But I'll take the T28 anyway she comes!

In a perfect world, vintage aircraft should come with two cockpits, one that is original and the other with modern avionics and comms. That is a lot of extra work, especially when the instruments are 3D and not 2D gauges pasted to the panels.

aeronca1
November 1st, 2012, 08:09
The same could be said about the old Triumph or Norton motorcycle engines. :icon_lol:.

How true! I had a Norton Manx way back when, and it literally spewed oil.