PDA

View Full Version : this is impressive,moving an oak tree

Daveroo
October 27th, 2012, 11:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=BFTj0hM3DHM

just awesome...

arfyhun
October 27th, 2012, 13:25
Thank you for posting this, Daveroo, first class. Just shows you what a local council can do when they have their priorities set correctly.

Graham.

PRB
October 27th, 2012, 14:00
Wow. That's amazing. I would (wood?) have thought the root system was bigger than what was in that box, but I guess they had to cut someplace... I hope the old tree survives the big move. Never saw "CATS" used in that way, with the bucket diggers used as "hands" to crawl forward. That was cool.

beana51
October 27th, 2012, 14:52
Thanx Much....Planting A tree.!!....We use the term RIGHT STUFF..but it applies here as well...Those Operators,Those big CATS..All in tune,and all in harmony.....Great Stuff!!!

rhumbaflappy
October 28th, 2012, 07:05
Human sentimentality aside, take 100 grafts of the tree, then cut down the parent tree and plant a grove of oaks from the grafts. Technically, the grafts are all the same tree, so it still lives on X 100. Simpler, smarter, cheaper, and you get a nice grove of oaks.

Dick

stansdds
October 28th, 2012, 11:13
Wow. That's amazing. I would (wood?) have thought the root system was bigger than what was in that box, but I guess they had to cut someplace... I hope the old tree survives the big move. Never saw "CATS" used in that way, with the bucket diggers used as "hands" to crawl forward. That was cool.

I used to have oak and poplar trees in my yard. After a hurricane, the poplars and some of the oaks were horizontal and the amazingly shallow root balls were soaking up the sunshine. I've since had mine cut down, I didn't want to see another storm put them through my house.