PDA

View Full Version : How do you fly YOUR SBD?

Wyld45
October 25th, 2012, 13:00
Dont know who all remembers this one,but its the first for me. This one just goes to
show, FASTEST isnt always the BESTEST! Watch this SBD pilot take on not just one,
not two, but THREE Japanese Zeros! I know a HOBBIT who could pull this off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKPJDDvWfjs

HouseHobbit
October 25th, 2012, 14:07
OH Yea!!, while buiding missions for friends and The ETO/PTP/RS team I have had some very interestig Dogfights in a SBD against Zeros..
And I won!! :applause:
There is a misson out where you get to go against Zeros and have a Dodfight in the B-17 Based on the real events ..
And I have posted the pictures from this..in the past..
Bill you can bet there was lots of Complaining on board the B-17 by the "Humans" when I did loops and rolls..:icon_lol:
:gameoff::gameoff:

bearcat241
October 25th, 2012, 14:57
After that sortie, 'Swede' was forthwith transferred to flying F4F Wildcats. He later served with the famed VF-10 "Grim Reapers" of the Enterprise, where he set a record for a Wildcat pilot by scoring seven victories in one mission during the Battle of Santa Cruz. Guess the brass figured right away that kinda balls and fighting skill was wasted in a bomber. :iidea:

But regarding this particular aerial duel, this will remain in my view as one of the greatest air battles of WW2 due to the near impossible odds that Swede and his gunner beat flying an inferior aircraft. I can't recall a story of a single Wildcat pilot during this period who single handely faced three Zeros at once in a long, turning fight, destroyed all three and made it back to the ship like this guy did in an SBD. For a better perspective and appreciation of the feat, this would be like a Val pilot beating a trio of Wildcats or Hellcats, or a Stuka pilot turning and burning with trio of Spitfires. And it might also be worth noting that during this early war period the Japanese Navy's Zero pilots were damn near unbeatable in turning fights, the principal reason that USN Wildcat pilots restricted their maneuvers to B-n-Z and defensive weaving tactics in engagements with the Zero.

:USA-flag:

gecko
October 25th, 2012, 15:14
I completely agree bearcat. A fight with the odds and results as they were must be nearly unique. Does anyone know of any similar engagements?

swpierce
October 26th, 2012, 08:24
My edit from a Wikipedia entry:

During the Vietnam War U.S. Navy A-1 Skyraiders shot down two North Vietnamese Air Force MiG-17 jet fighters: one on 20 June 1965, a victory shared by LT Clinton B. Johnson and LTjg Charles W. Hartman III of VA-25; and one on 9 October 1966 by LTjg William T. Patton of VA-176.

rocketred
October 26th, 2012, 09:26
OH Yea!!, while buiding missions for friends and The ETO/PTP/RS team I have had some very interestig Dogfights in a SBD against Zeros..
And I won!! :applause:
There is a misson out where you get to go against Zeros and have a Dodfight in the B-17 Based on the real events ..
And I have posted the pictures from this..in the past..
Bill you can bet there was lots of Complaining on board the B-17 by the "Humans" when I did loops and rolls..:icon_lol:
:gameoff::gameoff:

yes agree your missions have shown alot of new flight means for the ww2 era - excelllent work

Wyld45
October 26th, 2012, 11:07
Oh,and how would you like to be that poor "Tail-Gunner"? {TURN} Ow! {TURN} Ow! {TURN} Ow!
{FLIP} UGHhh!

OOps, looks like that link removed from the "Tube". I provided another for those
that didnt get to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUGSke0dTEU