PDA

View Full Version : Non-default CFS2 install location.

demorier
October 23rd, 2012, 05:07
I know it's been asked a lot before but after doing a clean system install, I'm re-installing a fresh copy CFS2. There is supposedly a different location on C:\ other than default location, that gets around some problems modifying "cfg" files. What is that folder ?? Have tried 'C:\Combat Flight Simulator 2' but it doesn't work.

Fibber
October 23rd, 2012, 05:25
I ran into that problem and found that if I made a folder named "Microsoft games" then put CFS2 into it that it worked.

Shessi
October 23rd, 2012, 09:05
D,
CFS2 is a stand alone prog ie. you can install it anywhere, copy it and put that copy anywhere and it will work. Just install it to the default location, copy the whole of that install and put it where you want. Then either uninstall the initial install, or leave it for use.
As this is a vanilla install I would recomend making several copies of the whole CFS2, for different versions (theatres/locations etc), all will work (I've got 9 installs including a couple vanilllas, European, Dambusters, Mossie Sqn, Marine, a couple of test versions etc etc. The only mod you will have to make if you use a different non-default location is the Mission Editor, if you want to use it.

Cheers

Shessi

PSULLYKEYS
October 23rd, 2012, 09:43
Shessi is correct, you can put it anyware you like, even on a portable drive or thumb drive. You can also have more than one install, just call them something different. For each install you can have a mission builder. At one time I had 7.
The "100" aircraft/ship "limit" is harder to reach with different installs. Good luck.:guinness:

PomBee
October 23rd, 2012, 14:54
I run 27 installs from an external hard drive (labelled as F), with shortcuts on my start screen. It all seems to work fine for me.

Cheers,

PomBee.:ernae:

demorier
October 23rd, 2012, 15:53
Only thing that worked with all that was to run the 'exe' as administrator...that's a pest. Got a bit more experimenting to do.

Edit : The install techniques above seem to work well as long as the user account control is switched "OFF".

PomBee
October 30th, 2012, 15:30
My Wife (who is a PC support engineer) set me up with my own user account. That made my life a lot easier.

Cheers,

PomBee.:ernae: