PDA

View Full Version : Bad day....

Tango_Romeo
January 3rd, 2009, 12:40
...at the range? :woot:

Sobering shot of an SUV that got lit up by mistake by an F16 driver near the air-ground gunnery range outside Dugway, Utah. The 'light paint and body damage' is the result of a one-quarter-second burst by the fighter's 20 mm gun, which fires about 3000 rounds per minute. An estimated 70 rounds left the gun; the results are as you see here.

What's even more astonishing is - the SUV was being driven at the time. The driver and the guy in the right-hand passenger seat escaped with some light glass injury to the driver, and a dislocated shoulder to the passenger. The shots hit the gas tank, but didn't explode; the gas just leaked out.

The passenger who normally sits in the back seat had just moved to another vehicle.

The vehicle was on the military reservation, but a full three miles away from the gunnery range.

The pilot is prob ably busily writing 'I WILL NOT ENGAGE SOFT CIVILIAN VEHICLES IN NO-FIRE ZONES' 1,000 times, after which he will be PCS'd to Shemeya AFB, Alaska.

The good news is that he only had 508 plus or minus 2 rounds of ball training ammo and not HEI (high explosive incendiary)!
I would imagine this event will have an impact on his career!

Rami
January 3rd, 2009, 12:48
What was the SUV doing there? Was it just passing through? Was it legal? I'm glad all parties were okay!

Pen32Win
January 3rd, 2009, 13:37
I'd love to see the look on his Insurance agents face when he tries to explain this....:jawdrop:

Wulf190
January 3rd, 2009, 13:42
the SUV was 3 miles away from the gunnery range? What was the F-16 doing there?!:blind:

Desert Rat
January 3rd, 2009, 14:07
3 miles in a Viper is over in the blink of an eye......

Devildog73
January 3rd, 2009, 14:32
Hey, they all walked away, must have been a good day!

See what happens when you entrust a multimillion dollar aircraft to a butter bar?!:monkies:

ckissling
January 3rd, 2009, 16:19
Target of opportunity???????? Or don't flip the pilot the bird.ckissling

Tango_Romeo
January 3rd, 2009, 16:27
...what I know. :faint:

I got the email from a retired GM executive. :whistle:

Tango_Romeo
January 3rd, 2009, 16:31
...story:

Two soldiers in a sport utility vehicle had the scare of their lives when an F-16 fighter jet from Hill Air Force Base opened fire on their SUV at the Utah Test and Training Range (UTTR).

The incident occurred during a nighttime training mission in which the fighter pilot was practicing shooting at ground targets.

A Hill Air Force Base spokeswoman says the soldiers were not hit, but did suffer minor injuries "while exiting the vehicle in rough terrain,"

The sport utility vehicle, a rental from Avis, was in part of the range where the Air Force uses live ammunition in mock combat. Lt. Beth Woodward says it was not clear whether the soldiers were supposed to be in the area when the pilot fired.

Air Force investigators have closed part of the range as they investigate the incident.

An investigation board, headed by 388th Fighter Wing Commander Scott Dennis, will determine whether the soldiers were in the wrong area of the range or whether the fighter pilot targeted the wrong vehicle.

I'm thinking that:

A) somehow cool, refreshing alcoholic beverages were involved.

B) the occupants of the vehicle just happened to be the pilot's girlfriend and his ex-best friend, who claimed to be scouting locations for next Sunday's church picnic. :friday:

Dirtman
January 4th, 2009, 05:36
Ahhh; that SUV isn't damaged that badly ..... my ex-wife has brought home vehicles in worse shape!!!

Her motto is: :hititbanana:

:costumes: :costumes: :costumes:

OTTO
January 4th, 2009, 09:44
Looks like he needs more training on " Navigation " techniques than target practice

OTTO :wavey:

Devildog73
January 4th, 2009, 19:55
See what happens when the Army stops teaching land navigation and relies too much on GPS!!!:faint:

miamieagle
January 4th, 2009, 21:00
When its not your day to go its not your day to die. Simple!:rapture:

hewman100
January 5th, 2009, 02:17
What were they doing there at night in an SUV?:whistle:

Tango_Romeo
January 5th, 2009, 07:24
What were they doing there at night in an SUV?:whistle:

...rental SUV at that. See blue text in Post#9. :kilroy:

hewman100
January 6th, 2009, 01:39
I've heard some strange things can go on in rentals.

David_L6
January 6th, 2009, 05:24
The pilot will probably be flying a desk for a long while now.