PDA

View Full Version : Objects 'flicker' when destroyed.

stuart277
October 19th, 2012, 16:27
Hi All
I have been attempting to replace some of the objects on Otis's Midway42 Scenery as the destroyed building models 'flicker' on and off.
Unfortunately. LW's building still do the same when destroyed.
I have trilinear filtering ticked and Mip ticked and of the visual selection on max, except visibility limit (40Mile)
I have fiddled with some of the settings but there seems to be no change.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Stuart

MaskRider
October 19th, 2012, 18:23
Hi All
I have been attempting to replace some of the objects on Otis's Midway42 Scenery as the destroyed building models 'flicker' on and off.
Unfortunately. LW's building still do the same when destroyed.
I have trilinear filtering ticked and Mip ticked and of the visual selection on max, except visibility limit (40Mile)
I have fiddled with some of the settings but there seems to be no change.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Stuart

Hiya Stuart,

Try this link (http://www.mask-rider.net/MaskRider2008/resources/lw_library_objects_wfixed_buildingsbgl.zip). It is a corrected version of Lindsay's library objects pack. When Lindsay first released this pack there was a coding issue that caused odd visuals. You may have the earlier un-corrected versions installed. I'm sure it is still kicking around.

MR

stuart277
October 20th, 2012, 23:54
Hi MR
Thanks for the link.
I replaced the files but, unfortunately, no joy, but!!!!
After a lot of adjusting, testing, etc. I found that if you actually run the game, there is no flickering!
I have been doing all of my flying tests within the mission builder.
A new discovery for me.:applause:
Anyway, I have made a new Midway GSL, although I now realise, there isn't anything wrong with Otis's original, and it has stock objects.
Its all part of the learning curve.
Next project (apart from some midway missions) is to change the 'ground tiles' around Colombo, Ceylon. Colombo is not at all like the real place.
Again thanks
Cheers
Stuart
PS Love Your Work:salute:

MaskRider
October 21st, 2012, 05:08
Hi MR
Thanks for the link.
I replaced the files but, unfortunately, no joy, but!!!!
After a lot of adjusting, testing, etc. I found that if you actually run the game, there is no flickering!
I have been doing all of my flying tests within the mission builder.
A new discovery for me.:applause:
Anyway, I have made a new Midway GSL, although I now realise, there isn't anything wrong with Otis's original, and it has stock objects.
Its all part of the learning curve.
Next project (apart from some midway missions) is to change the 'ground tiles' around Colombo, Ceylon. Colombo is not at all like the real place.
Again thanks
Cheers
Stuart
PS Love Your Work:salute:

Aaahhh, yes! In my scenery designing days I have encountered visual anomalies while running the game through mission builder that do not appear in the game itself. Someone explained to me why it happens but I don't recall just what the reason is. It made sense though.

MaskRider
October 21st, 2012, 05:19
Aaahhh, yes! In my scenery designing days I have encountered visual anomalies while running the game through mission builder that do not appear in the game itself. Someone explained to me why it happens but I don't recall just what the reason is. It made sense though.

Found the old thread:

CFS2 Layout Window Weirdness (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?21573-CFS2-MB-layout-window-weirdness)

It actually doesn't help all that much except that it does seem to be an issue with the way the elevation data in the airbases.dat file interacts with scenery in MB that doesn't happen when in the game itself. Just one of those little CFS2 quirks.

Glad you got it handled!

Cheers,
MR

PS: found the screenshot I took of the problem I was having- which basically amounted to "flickering". The image on the right is the way the airfield ground-poly textures appeared in the MB layout screen. On the left is the way it appeared in the game itself.