PDA

View Full Version : OH P39 texture: Rendering or LOD issue?

UncleTgt
October 19th, 2012, 13:38
I'm seeing occasional texture issues with a couple of the OH stockers.

When viewing from spot view, sometimes parts of the aircraft appear untextured. Particularly, the tailplanes for the D3A1 Val, & the RH side of the P39 Airacobra. Never close-up, but mid-range. Some pics help illustrate what I'm seeing.:blind:

Puzzling thing is it's always the same a/c part, & always at a similar distance away, which is what makes me think it's a LOD issue for the model(s), rather than a rendering issue (even tho' I have an old Win XP system & Nvidia card:icon_lol:).

Any thoughts?

UncleTgt
October 20th, 2012, 05:27
I combined the 3 P39 shots into one to better explain what I'm seeing...

tobob
October 20th, 2012, 06:22
Uncle,

To me it looks like a LOD problem.

Use Aircraft Container Manager 2.5(ACM) to look at each individual LOD model. Maybe someone has a link?

If it is a LOD problem maybe the B24guy could take a re-look at it. :salute:

tobob

The B24 Guy
October 20th, 2012, 06:33
Hi UncleTgt,

I know some of the lesser LOD's on the stockers are strange.

I will take a look and see if anything can be done.

Regards,
B24Guy

Allen
October 20th, 2012, 07:49
Model Converter X shows all of the LODs are textured....

Desert Rat
October 20th, 2012, 09:49
Do you perchance have exhaust effects on this model? :¬)

When you pause,they usually end up a bit behind where they should be. They also disappear at further distances. And are often blue.

Jamie

UncleTgt
October 20th, 2012, 12:51
Update

I did some more investigation, & although the D3A Val issue is still there, the P39 model issue seems to relate to Allen's recent model update that includes cockpit internals. If I roll back to the B24 guy's original OH model, the rendering issue goes away.

Why I managed to find this:-

I've been improving & adapting Sopwith's PNG P4000 skin
improvements
-to use Allen's modified mdl
- subdued colours
-the wing leading edge nrs are reversed on the original
adaption
- same a/c was transferred to 80FS 8FG in JAN43, sharkmouth added

otherwise I would never have noticed!
:a1310:

UncleTgt
October 20th, 2012, 12:52
JDT

You are correct, this a/c did have exhaust effects included, but I've since swapped them out for Kelti's effects & prop blur

The B24 Guy
October 20th, 2012, 16:23
Update

I did some more investigation, & although the D3A Val issue is still there, the P39 model issue seems to relate to Allen's recent model update that includes cockpit internals. If I roll back to the B24 guy's original OH model, the rendering issue goes away.

Why I managed to find this:-

I've been improving & adapting Sopwith's PNG P4000 skin
improvements
-to use Allen's modified mdl
- subdued colours
-the wing leading edge nrs are reversed on the original
adaption
- same a/c was transferred to 80FS 8FG in JAN43, sharkmouth added

otherwise I would never have noticed!
:a1310:

Hi UncleTgt,

I looked for Allen's updated MDL but I could not find it. Has it been uploaded yet?
I should be able to fix it. Just looks like a texture entry is missing.

For the Val it is most likely a low LOD that I did not split. I will work on it and see what is up.

Regards,
B24Guy

Allen
October 20th, 2012, 17:08
The only updated MDL I did was the one to make the interior use p39d_airacobra_X.bmp and p39d_airacobra_Z.bmp. This MDL is used in the current OH P-39D.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=52&linkid=5874

As for Val she has bad texure mapping. Both the OH and stock will do it. Since the stock Val was gray top and botttom side on the elevator. MS took short cuts and didn't map the top of the elevator
to the top of the texute for any of the LODs. As you can see below MS mapped to use the
botttom side elevator.

↓Click me! Animated when you do! ↓

UncleTgt
October 21st, 2012, 04:40
Cool animation! That's exactly what I see. The green skins show it up, whereas the grey PHP skins you would never notice.

UncleTgt
October 21st, 2012, 05:12
I reloaded Allen's latest model & tried to get some better screenshots.

These might help, they appear to show the RH wing root is missing in the LOD that appears to be untextured?

The B24 Guy
October 21st, 2012, 05:51
Hi All,

Yep, it was a texture spelling problem.

Try this update.

Regards,
B24Guy

Allen
October 21st, 2012, 07:20
You better up date the OH P-39 dowload with the new MDL. As for the error I can't duplacate it with the "Bad" MDL and MCX shows all of the LODs were textued. :blind:

UncleTgt
October 21st, 2012, 10:36
B24 guy - that seems to work, & I checked & the VC view uses Allen's _x & _z textures too.

Thanks for sorting it so quickly.
:medals:
Allen, sorry you couldn't see the issue I was having - hope you appreciate it was bugging me ...:icon33:

now, where did I leave my spray can of Olive Drab:running: ...

Allen
October 21st, 2012, 11:25
I know what was wrong since your screen shots that make it clear but it bugs me that I couldn't get it to happen on my system at all...

The Val you may have to live with unless the textue maping can be fix.

Desert Rat
October 21st, 2012, 11:26
Do you perchance have exhaust effects on this model? :¬)

When you pause,they usually end up a bit behind where they should be. They also disappear at further distances. And are often blue.

Jamie

Please disregard this post, I was looking at the wrong part of the P-39. Completely missed themissing wing textures and was looking at the little purple/blue area near the tail, hence the above :redface:

sc7500
October 21st, 2012, 11:29
...Please disregard this post, I was looking at the wrong part of the P-39. Completely missed the missing wing textures and was looking at the little purple/blue area near the tail, hence the above...

Jamie, that makes ONE error this year - you have TWO Remaining.... LOL :icon_lol:

SC
:kilroy:

The B24 Guy
October 21st, 2012, 13:15
I know what was wrong since your screen shots that make it clear but it bugs me that I couldn't get it to happen on my system at all...

The Val you may have to live with unless the textue maping can be fix.

Hi Allen,
Check your texture folder. I bet you have a extra texture named "p39d_airacobra_l.bmp".

As for the Val. The easy fix is to split the top and bottom tail planes and give them seperate textures or assign the tops to the "t" texture and the bottom to the "r" texture. That would take care of the need for an extra damage texture.

I am working on it.

Regards,
B24Guy

Desert Rat
October 21st, 2012, 13:38
Jamie, that makes ONE error this year - you have TWO Remaining.... LOL :icon_lol:

SC
:kilroy:

SC,

if you asked the mrs. I'm way beyond that, lol. Three in a year, I'm lucky if that does me a week!!

god bless her,
Jamie

Allen
October 21st, 2012, 14:25
Thats a negative on a p39d_airacobra_l.bmp....

Good luck with the texture mappping!

The B24 Guy
November 3rd, 2012, 10:15
Hi UncleTgt and all,

Here is the Val tail texture fix. I split the tail and elevators into upper and lowers.
I linked the uppers to the (R) texture and the lowers to the (T) texture.
For solid colors you will not have to change anything.
For different colors on the tops and lowers you will have to paint the (R) texture tail planes the same. (see example)
Also, paint the damage (B) texture the same as the (R).

I will ask Rami to update the zips.

Regards,
B24Guy

Rami
November 3rd, 2012, 13:23
Good afternoon,

I tried updating the package, but I'm not sure if I did it right.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=53&id=5867

The B24 Guy
November 3rd, 2012, 16:40
Hi Rami,

Looks good. I should have included instructions in a text file. Can you put the following in the install text file?

"Val tail texture fix for all lesser LOD's than the main.
I split the tail and elevators into upper and lowers.
I linked the uppers to the (R) texture and the lowers to the (T) texture.
For solid colors you will not have to change anything.
For different colors on the tops and lowers you will have to paint the (R) texture tail planes the same. (see example)
Also, paint the damage (B) texture the same as the (R)."

Thanks,
B24Guy

Allen
November 3rd, 2012, 18:05
You can edit any file that you have uploaded by going to the upload and click on the 74903. (All of the OH files I updated are in your name)

Once you click on the 74903 it will take you to a page that looks like your uploading a new addon but this is the edit page. It will have all of the thing for the upload your editng already filled out. All you have to do is go to "Uploaded file" part and put in a new file and hit "Submit" and wait tell it is done.

Odce done I go back and download the file to make sure it updated just to be safe.

The B24 Guy
November 4th, 2012, 05:09
Thanks Allen,
I followed your directions and it seems to have worked.:salute:

Regards,
B24Guy

oldwheat
November 4th, 2012, 07:58
You can edit any file that you have uploaded by going to the upload and click on the 74903. (All of the OH files I updated are in your name)

Once you click on the 74903 it will take you to a page that looks like your uploading a new addon but this is the edit page. It will have all of the thing for the upload your editng already filled out. All you have to do is go to "Uploaded file" part and put in a new file and hit "Submit" and wait tell it is done.

Odce done I go back and download the file to make sure it updated just to be safe.

Hey, I didn't know that! There are probably a whole bunch of my uploads that could use some tweaks (Whoopee, yet another project :pop4:)