PDA

View Full Version : To Allen and other MDL experts

gius
October 19th, 2012, 00:47
Hello,
the question is: how to modify the VC of an existing plane? tutorials and samples are welcome.
Thanks for the consideration.
Gius

braveheart77521
October 19th, 2012, 07:24
I would be interested in this information. I was fixing to ask the same questions

Braveheart

OBIO
October 19th, 2012, 07:56
Without the source code (the original 3D model via Gmax or FSDS) there is no way to modify the actual VC of an existing plane.

OBIO

Shessi
October 19th, 2012, 09:09
Hi Guys,
Well Obio, agreed that's true if you want to modify it in some meaningful way, but actually you can do a lot with scasm and a hex editor. You can turn a VC off, so it does not show, relatively easily. You can also rip one VC out of an ac and put it in another, but that's scasming for the experts. Now, Mav, if you're looking in? He's one such person who's done it, but certainly not easy.

What it comes down to, easy if you have the source mdl. Then difficult and extremely time consuming with a lot of scasm and hex reading/understanding to do the other. The VC has a set of hex codes (as all parts do) which relate to it's drawing and display, so it's matter of understanding what and where they are, and where they fit into the scasm code of the model. A lot of trial and error involved.

Caleb Flerk's 'bible' a 'Guide to Speshul Efeks' is the place to start, if you're serious on doing some.

Cheers

Shessi

Allen
October 19th, 2012, 09:46
What plane are you wanting to change? Some can be opened with panel editors like CFG Edit.

If the VC isn't working at all first look and see if it has a VC by opening the Panel.cfg and look for [Vcockpit01] also look below [Vcockpit01] and make sure you have the gauges listed.

If it has all of that and it is not working than 3D model via Gmax or FSDS source would be best so that the whole aircraft can be edited.

The B24 Guy is the only one that I know of that can add a VC to an aircraft via scasm and other tools with out a source.

misson
October 19th, 2012, 15:57
Long ago someone asked if it was possible to convert a FSX native model to CFS2, and I said it was understood that it was not possible (I was wrong). So I started looking for a way to make the conversion. To do this, download from a plane flightsim FSX native. In this case the Dartkitten (http://www.classicwings.net/hanger/1931-1940.html), and I could edit it in GMAX (and this makes it possible to modify all its parts, including VC)using modelconverterX (exporting a 3DS source) and then compile it to FS2004 (animations needs to be scasmed)and finally convert it to cfs2. It is also possible to edit in GMAX FS2004 aircraft and then modify them, then recompile and make conversion to CFS2. To do this u need model converterx program , Gmax program with fs2004 gamepack , model comander , and other tools to start. I have not much time to research but i can help in your process. Like I said the last time , I´m devoting time to other responsabilitys so if someone want my little experience , just sendme a mail, and I´ll glad to help.

Allen
October 19th, 2012, 17:34
It is worth noting that Model Converter X won't work with all models. It dose work with every CFS2 .mdl I've ever tried. However damage parts are not imported. It did work with the F2000 Cessna182. CFS1 MS aircraft don't work but the FS98/CFS1 addon aircraft I had did.

Going from Model Converter X to Gmax via 3DS isn't easy. Animations, heirarchy and smoothing are lost. Offten parts are welded together that have to be cut apart to work wth CFS2s breaking part logic. Parts are name something like AO_*** so you have to re-label every thing before you can do any thing else.

It dose work well. This is how I cooked up my Zero Model 22 and 32 G4M1 Betty "WildCatFish" and Rufe

gius
November 3rd, 2012, 03:21
Hi to all,
excuse me for the long delay of my reply on this thread: Allen, expect a PM by me in the next time; i am very busy with my job but i can devote sometime to this task...
Thank you,
Gius

Allen
November 3rd, 2012, 15:19
My PM box is always open....