PDA

View Full Version : "Cricket" Update!

falcon409
October 16th, 2012, 15:38
"Dev-One" has completed his work on the Cri-Cri and I have the final aircraft.cfg and mdl files, plus one extra texture for the pilot. I'm checking those right now and as soon as I'm complete and we're sure everything is correct then I'll post the complete airplane. Keith has really done a nice job of updating this airplane. Well Done Keith!!:salute::applause:

CP1207
October 16th, 2012, 15:51
:jump::jump::jump:

falcon409
October 16th, 2012, 16:43
Ok, made a few cosmetic changes to the panel art to accommodate the updated VC animations (all levers are now clickable/movable via the mouse by either scroll wheel or click and drag). I have a bit of work to do on one other panel that I'm including as an option (there will be three total) and then I'll zip everything up and get it posted.:salute:

Cazzie
October 16th, 2012, 17:03
Waiting here too, great to hear Falcon. :jump::salute:

falcon409
October 16th, 2012, 17:54
Changes completed, should be uploaded here in the next hour or so. I have sent several e-mails to the original designer and have had no luck in contacting him. I will assume that either he doesn't care to be contacted, or has changed e-mail addy's. In either case I have made an effort to inform him of the changes made to his model and to get his ok. . . With that, I intend to upload it here and on flightsim.com, as part of the zipfile I will include his original readme's and add one updated readme to highlight the changes made with due credit to the originator. I should think that would suffice, especially since he made the original GMax work available to the public.

A note about the panels included. I don't use 2D panels any more, but I know some folks do. I have only worked on the VC, consequently the 2D panel remains the original 2D and does not reflect the artwork or changes made to the VC. If there is enough of a need to redo the 2D panels to match, then I'll consider doing new art for those. I chose not to for the reason stated above and because I wanted to get this released as soon as Keith was able to finish his work. I think you'll enjoy the changes and hopefully we'll find some new admirers of this unusual but fun little "twin".:salute:

oakfloor
October 16th, 2012, 18:34
Changes completed, should be uploaded here in the next hour or so. I have sent several e-mails to the original designer and have had no luck in contacting him. I will assume that either he doesn't care to be contacted, or has changed e-mail addy's. In either case I have made an effort to inform him of the changes made to his model and to get his ok. . . With that, I intend to upload it here and on flightsim.com, as part of the zipfile I will include his original readme's and add one updated readme to highlight the changes made with due credit to the originator. I should think that would suffice, especially since he made the original GMax work available to the public.

A note about the panels included. I don't use 2D panels any more, but I know some folks do. I have only worked on the VC, consequently the 2D panel remains the original 2D and does not reflect the artwork or changes made to the VC. If there is enough of a need to redo the 2D panels to match, then I'll consider doing new art for those. I chose not to for the reason stated above and because I wanted to get this released as soon as Keith was able to finish his work. I think you'll enjoy the changes and hopefully we'll find some new admirers of this unusual but fun little "twin".:salute:

I tried a version in FSX but it would not show up, will this one work?

falcon409
October 16th, 2012, 19:08
I tried a version in FSX but it would not show up, will this one work?
Even before this one was redone, straight out of the FS9 download it would show up. Not sure why yours would not. The changes we made are for that very reason, so it can be used in FSX.

falcon409
October 16th, 2012, 19:21
I have uploaded the zipfile to Box.net for download while I take the time to get it uploaded and posted here on the SOH downloads page. I am unsure about the state of the download however because after zipping everything and saving to my desktop, the zipfile didn't change to the "zip" icon. . .instead it was just a blank page. . .I had to associated it to "Izarc" which is the zip program I use. That's never happened before. I have downloaded it from Box.net and it works fine, but with so many different zip programs, I need to be sure this will work. So if you use any program other than Izarc, please download the file and see if it opens correctly. If not, I'm going to have to redo the process. Thanks!

https://www.box.com/s/ztju1rj72snhnzskiasz

dandog
October 16th, 2012, 19:43
This is the high-lite of my day!!!! Thank you Falcon409 and Dev-One.:guinness::guinness::guinness:

imn2sims
October 16th, 2012, 19:49
I have uploaded the zipfile to Box.net for download while I take the time to get it uploaded and posted here on the SOH downloads page. I am unsure about the state of the download however because after zipping everything and saving to my desktop, the zipfile didn't change to the "zip" icon. . .instead it was just a blank page. . .I had to associated it to "Izarc" which is the zip program I use. That's never happened before. I have downloaded it from Box.net and it works fine, but with so many different zip programs, I need to be sure this will work. So if you use any program other than Izarc, please download the file and see if it opens correctly. If not, I'm going to have to redo the process. Thanks!

https://www.box.com/s/ztju1rj72snhnzskiasz

Works with 7 Zip

Steve

danyboy21
October 16th, 2012, 20:38
And Winrar.

Thank you Falcon :salute:

falcon409
October 16th, 2012, 21:02
Ok, thanks guys. Unfortunately it appears that there's something missing that SOH Upload looks for as it won't accept the file. I am getting rid of "Izarc" (no idea why it suddenly quite functioning).. .and I'm going with WinZip. I'll still get this uploaded to SOH this evening. It does appear that the link still works for most folks though. . .weird.:isadizzy:

oakfloor
October 16th, 2012, 21:09
Yeah, I cannot find anything to unzip it.

falcon409
October 16th, 2012, 21:17
Yeah, I cannot find anything to unzip it.
So do you not have any unzip program. . .or are you saying you have one but it doesn't unzip this file?

falcon409
October 16th, 2012, 21:30
Ok, that was a pain, lol. . . .finally got WinZip to work and the file has been uploaded. If the link above continues to work for most folks, great. If you find that the file you download won't unzip with your program. . .hold tight, it'll show up in the SOH downloads section soon!!

oakfloor
October 16th, 2012, 21:43
[QUOTE=falcon409;754230]So do you not have any unzip program. . .or are you saying you have one but it doesn't unzip this file?[/QU
Seems I dont, Im going to get Winzip ASAP, Thanks.

falcon409
October 16th, 2012, 21:50
Seems I dont, Im going to get Winzip ASAP, Thanks.
Yea, you'll need some kind of Unzip utility for a lot of the addons you download. . .most everything is "Zipped".:salute:

Dev One
October 17th, 2012, 00:11
I d'led from your Box.com & unzipped it with my 'normal' WinRAR (from rarlabs) with no problems.
Nice one Falcon, like the repaint & new cockpit.
Keith

falcon409
October 17th, 2012, 04:20
I d'led from your Box.com & unzipped it with my 'normal' WinRAR (from rarlabs) with no problems.
Nice one Falcon, like the repaint & new cockpit.
Keith
Glad it worked for you Keith. Beautiful job of adding the animation/texture mapping, pilot and FDE mods. It's already had over 50 downloads and just since being posted around midnight CST. There are lotsa Crickets in the air already!!:salute:

Daveroo
October 17th, 2012, 09:00
i tried of the "box" download and wouldnt work for me,i have winzip,and another zipfile program i havent learned the name of..but its exactly like winzip and is free,thing is,i had downloaded a game from "steam" and they put it on my puter ,over the top of winzip...it works fine,is free and fully functional..soooo...lol

dandog
October 17th, 2012, 09:32
If a download does not look like a file with a zipper or a stack of books strapped together, then change the file type. Add .zip to the end of the file, right click, click on extract files. This is what I did for the
"box" download last night. Worked great. Every windows installation I have ever owned has had an "extract all" function without having to download any new programs. A good suggestion is to always click on tools/folder options/view/ and uncheck 'hide hidden file extensions', then apply to all folders. Then you will always be able to see what file type you are working with.

Dev One
October 17th, 2012, 10:17
Dandog,
Having started our trip through the backwoods in 'improving' the Cricri, have our labours been worthwhile to you?
Keith

dandog
October 17th, 2012, 12:36
Hey Dev-One, I do not know if I am qualified to have an opinion. I have only garnered the skill set of an FS consumer, not a contributor. I think that the little Cri-Cri is awesome. The pilot sure gives an element of proportion. The VC work by Falcon409 and yourself is awesome. This plane has really come alive! The engine doesn't even whine at hi revs while sitting on the tarmac anymore. The one thing I would like it to have is a transponder so I can squawk properly. I do not want to be excluded from B, C, or D airspace (don't think I'll be at class A any time soon).

In my humble opinion, the two you have done justice to this forgotten little plane!:salute:

falcon409
October 17th, 2012, 15:45
Daveroo and anyone else having problems with the download link I posted above. . . .just get it from the SOH Library. No need to mess with it any more now that it's been posted here.:salute:

falcon409
October 17th, 2012, 20:47
. . . .by the by. . .has anyone noticed that I forgot to include a "Master" switch?:isadizzy:

Anneke
October 18th, 2012, 09:39
Darn you made my curious. Any pics of the reworked exterior and interior?

dandog
October 18th, 2012, 11:02
It's too much of an improvement to notice any mistakes!

falcon409
October 18th, 2012, 20:29
I may not be going about this the right way, as I never noticed this prior to the last update, but I can't apply an alpha to either texture without it going transparent on me. Not even a very slight gray (that's actually lighter than a "light" gray, lol). I know the earlier exteriors had a shine to them. Am I doing the application of a shine wrong?

Anneke
October 19th, 2012, 03:49
of course why bother reacting...:kilroy:

falcon409
October 19th, 2012, 03:58
of course why bother reacting...:kilroy:
It's a free download from the SOH Library. If you don't like it you can easily delete it.:salute:

dandog
October 19th, 2012, 10:03
Anneke, a quick list of changes include the addition of the pilot ( really shows the size of this little puppy), mouseable engine controls from the VC, engine RPM sounds that are not on high rev at idle, the new tetures, and new VC panel. See photos.

Falcon409, Dev-One, please correct me if I am wrong or other mods have been applied

Anneke
October 19th, 2012, 13:40
Thanks DanDog. Much appreciated.

Dev One
October 20th, 2012, 00:54
Dandog,
I have given the knobs of the throttles,elevator trim lever & flap lever a better rounded look & mapped them. The switches on the VC engine control panel have been added & animated to match the 2D popup panel. The aileron trim on the control column& Elevator trim lever have been animated in the VC. The Parking brake lever has been animated & brakes made available.
The aircraft.cfg has been 'doctored' a little to cater for the brakes, pilot removal & increased the MoI in an attempt to get it to spin reasonably (not very successful, but better than before). Falcon has created the panel changes & the external texture.
Cannot think of any more changes, but it did not give up without a struggle, but not surprising really as the Gmax base file was created in 2002, & some items needed the .xml to be modified to get it/them to work in FSX!
I must admit that I enjoy tripping around the country at low level in her & she is not that stable, so needs constant attention if not in autopilot.
HTH
Keith

dandog
October 20th, 2012, 19:02
Thank you Dev-One for the more complete list of upgrades to the Cri-Cri. Are you also responsible for the lower idle sounds at idle? Yes!, it is a little hard to handle. It is sooo small and has a fairly high profile. But that just builds skills! You are like a leaf being blown around in the wind. Too much fun! Flying skills are built in such an aircraft as the Cri-Cri. I am going to learn how to add the Bendix King radios, transponder, and add an HSI with glide slope. If only I had lights too, I could go IFR! ( that and an FAA endorsement).:jump:

Daniel

falcon409
October 20th, 2012, 19:37
. . . . . If only I had lights too, I could go IFR! (that and an FAA endorsement).:jump:
Daniel
Yep, lights would be awesome. . . .just wondering out loud here, but maybe someone a bit more experienced with this might chime in. . .If I were to run the Cri-Cri through Aircraft Container Manager, add the lights to the external and the VC, would that work or must it somehow be coded into the mdl file as well?

falcon409
October 20th, 2012, 20:20
Been playing a bit with the pilot. . .different face, skin color and I actually found a Cri-Cri T-Shirt, lol.

Dev One
October 20th, 2012, 23:54
Falcon,
I think to add lights one just needs to list them (with position data) in the aircraft.cfg, & you can add the switches in your panel.cfg. One only needs to attack the .mdl via Gmax if you want to see an animated switch toggle in the VC. I do think however, that you/me will need to address the night aspects if you add the shine as it will be semi transparent at dusk/night. Will keep you posted there as I will experiment with a 'L' texture.
Love the new pilot texture!
Keith

Dev One
October 21st, 2012, 00:53
I have experimented with lights & the following can be added to your aircraft.cfg under the heading [Lights] which is currently empty:

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing

light.0 = 3, -0.70, -8.25, -0.1, fx_navred
light.1 = 3, -0.70, 8.25, -0.1, fx_navgre
light.2 = 10, -1.0, 0, 1.00, fx_vclight
light.3 = 3, -9, 0.0, 0.30, fx_navwhi
light.4 = 5, 3.55, 0, -0.0, fx_landing
light.5 = 2, -.7, -8.25, -0.1, fx_strobe
light.6 = 2, -.7, 8.25, -0.1, fx_strobe

Use the keyboard for switching

BUT & its a very big BUT at dusk or at night, the airframe from the exterior is slightly transparent, the canopy from the exterior is opaque/translucent & for the landing lamp to show & display its beam it needs adding to the Gmax & hence the .mdl.

Not sure of the transparency cure as have not created for FSX, but the canopy might need to be textured directly in Gmax as I currently do for FS9, or else it needs to be mapped with a 'glass' texture in Gmax.

Sorry about that.
Keith

Dev One
October 21st, 2012, 01:52
Here is a quick fix for the night transparency problem,
1. copy the FSX Extra 300s texture named ' Extra300s_T_L.dds' and paste it to each of your CriCri texture folders.
2. Rename this texture;'cricri_L.dds' (without the ' of course!!)
If you open it, it is purely a RGB 0,0,0 black texture, but it seems to do the trick as in FS9.
Good luck
Keith

falcon409
October 21st, 2012, 06:49
This is outstanding Keith. . .the CriCri is night ready. . .how cool is that? One change to your lights section. . .change the "10" to a "4" and the cockpit becomes lighted. Couldn't figure out at first why the effect was listed but not working, that's the ticket. Well Done!!

Cazzie
October 21st, 2012, 07:01
Been playing a bit with the pilot. . .different face, skin color and I actually found a Cri-Cri T-Shirt, lol.

Whatcha doing up here at KDAN Falcon? :icon_lol:

Great looking you two, is there a place to get the new textures with pilot?

falcon409
October 21st, 2012, 07:31
Whatcha doping up here at KDAN Falcon? :icon_lol:
Great looking you two, is there a place to get the new textures with pilot?
I'll post it here in a bit Caz. Danville was one stop on a Cross Country I was doing. . .it remains right now as the default startup location, lol.:salute:

falcon409
October 21st, 2012, 08:08
Ok, for those who want the changed pilot textures, here ya go. Be aware that right now, the T-Shirt is reversed on his back as there is no "back" texture. Also, some of the graphics bleed over to other sections of his upper torso, but that's what I discovered happens when you use something other than a solid color. So if you have the ability, you can always go in and color over the graphics and just give him a colored "T".

falcon409
October 21st, 2012, 08:14
The "Night Cricket"

falcon409
October 21st, 2012, 09:55
I did swap out the fx files that Keith supplied with the "Shockwave" equivalents. (not shown in the pic above though). Pretty cool flying the Cricket at night and having the landing light out there illuminating the way, lol.:jump:

Dev One
October 21st, 2012, 10:19
falcon,
Thanks, but I'm surprised you had to change the '10' as it worked OK for me - wonder why. But on the other hand why did I use 10 in the first place? Dunno - just copied it from elsewhere - which can sometimes be fatal!
I must admit that I did not know that a shockwave landing light would light up the scenery - I normally have to insert the landing light in the Gmax. (thinks, must get the shockwave.......)
Keith

Cazzie
October 21st, 2012, 11:37
I'll post it here in a bit Caz. Danville was one stop on a Cross Country I was doing. . .it remains right now as the default startup location, lol.:salute:

Thanks Falcon, just thought it odd that someone from Tejas would be using KDAN. :icon_lol:

falcon409
October 21st, 2012, 12:02
falcon,
Thanks, but I'm surprised you had to change the '10' as it worked OK for me - wonder why. But on the other hand why did I use 10 in the first place? Dunno - just copied it from elsewhere - which can sometimes be fatal!
I must admit that I did not know that a shockwave landing light would light up the scenery - I normally have to insert the landing light in the Gmax. (thinks, must get the shockwave.......)
Keith
Correction, after doing a short night flight, it does not illuminate the ground or any autogen, it's just that it's so dang bright from the cockpit that it looks like it does, lol.

arrowmaker
October 21st, 2012, 21:14
Just came across this:

Known to be the smallest twin-engine airplane in the world (4.90m wingspan, 72kg empty weight, 2x15HP), it still has a 190km/h cruise speed and is capable of executing all the basic positive aerobatic maneuvers. Formation flight and air-to-air shots with an Avid Hauler homebuilt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmjZlaacPd8&feature=related

dandog
October 22nd, 2012, 09:36
Installed the light update and flew from KRAL to KVAX. I needed a Buffalo Burger for dinner. Only problem was having to drop to 1,500 ft at the coast to keep clear of the clouds. Tha t would be too low to come in at KAVX. Luckily the clouds cleared and I went back to 3,500 ft. I wasn't moving too fast with a 10 knot headwind. I real nice way to do some night flying!

I did notice that I had almost no fuel burn. Will have to look at that.

falcon409
October 22nd, 2012, 15:12
Installed the light update and flew from KRAL to KVAX. I needed a Buffalo Burger for dinner. Only problem was having to drop to 1,500 ft at the coast to keep clear of the clouds. Tha t would be too low to come in at KAVX. Luckily the clouds cleared and I went back to 3,500 ft. I wasn't moving too fast with a 10 knot headwind. I real nice way to do some night flying!

I did notice that I had almost no fuel burn. Will have to look at that.Excellent shots, night flying in the Cricket is very cool. What's up with your pilot? Why is he showing as a silhouette?

dandog
October 22nd, 2012, 15:30
I think it's just the lighting. He looks fine up close.

falcon409
October 22nd, 2012, 15:36
I think it's just the lighting. He looks fine up close.
Ah ok, I thought we might have a texture problem in "Night Flight".:salute:

dandog
October 22nd, 2012, 15:39
The wings are translucent at night. I can see the ground lighting through them at night. Could be the same for the whole model, but I don't remember.

falcon409
October 22nd, 2012, 15:40
The wings are translucent at night. I can see the ground lighting through them at night. Could be the same for the whole model, but I don't remember.
Is that viewed from the cockpit or from the external view?

dandog
October 22nd, 2012, 16:56
From the cockpit.

falcon409
October 22nd, 2012, 17:02
Ok, I know what's causing that. I'll post another texture for you to replace. I found that the exterior textures will accept an alpha to give a nice shine, however the textures that get viewed from the cockpit cannot, if you add an alpha, they go transparent. Now, if you have the ability to import the texture "cricri_c" into DXTbmp and change the alpha (just the areas around the prop blurs) to solid white, that'll fix the problem.

Here ya go! (Red Livery Only)

Dev One
October 22nd, 2012, 23:57
Drat!!! I didn't think to try that when I suggested the 'cure'!!!
Keith

Cazzie
October 23rd, 2012, 08:08
Dangdog and Falcon, this is looking so dang good. I got your texture Falcon, must run and set up for a HS X-Country run this afternoon. Can't wait until we can get the full new files.

Caz

dandog
October 23rd, 2012, 14:04
I'll try the new texture later today. The red one is the only one I fly.

ps. Cazzie, Falcon409 and Dev-One are the ones with the real talent. I only have a talent for opening up my mouth.

Dev One
October 23rd, 2012, 23:53
Thanks for that Dandog, but your talent is also necessary to get things started & I need something to keep the brain active!
Keith

Dev One
January 1st, 2013, 10:55
Falcon,
What has happened to the Cricket download on this site? It seems to have vanished!
Keith

falcon409
January 1st, 2013, 11:45
Yea, beats me Keith. I've tried searches using . . ."Cricket, CriCri, Cri-Cri and falcon409" and I get nothing.:ques:

Thoe6969
January 1st, 2013, 12:03
Just tried the original link on the first page of this thread and it still works.

Thoe6969
January 1st, 2013, 12:11
Well it downloaded but I can.t open it.

falcon409
January 1st, 2013, 14:03
If anyone finds the SOH download, please let us know. I've use the searches I could think of with no results.

srgalahad
January 1st, 2013, 18:53
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ldm-silk-icons/zip.png Cri_Cri Update Ver. 2.0.zip http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ldm-silk-icons/download.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=33&id=14837)

<tbody>
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/thumbs/1/5/4/3/29461350460747.jpg

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ldm-silk-icons/magnify.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_resize.php?linkid=14837&shadowbox=1&size=0)

This is a major upgrade to the original FS9 aircraft. It remains an FS9 "port" however the upgrades have brought it into FSX as far possible without doing a completely new airplane.

Please read the readme_v2 for specific info on what changes and upgrades were done. Enjoy!!

Discussion Thread (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=72756)

</tbody>
I just went to the Add-ons Library index, then down to FSX aircraft, then title filter "ABC" and scrolled down (about the 6th one)
Also found it searching Username "falcon409" (no quotes) but it did not show in any of the "Cri, Cricket, Cri-Cri", etc. variations

Dev One
January 1st, 2013, 23:46
Thanks srgalahad, but yesterday it must have been on holiday, because it would just not show up!
Keith

Cazzie
January 3rd, 2013, 06:50
Bon, got it, thanks sirgalahad for link. Cri-Cri, falcon109, Dev One :applause: