PDA

View Full Version : reinstalled cub for free, now wont start

hurricane3
October 11th, 2012, 15:31
After I got my new computer ,I had to reinstall Bill Lynons Cub for free manually.Everything looks fine but the Cubs won't start . I assigned all the throttle and mixure controls as before , checked the bat and generator switches ,put the mags to both, then start, the prop will turn then stop ,I just can't get them to start. Whats the secret?

modelr
October 11th, 2012, 19:16
Check for fuel. Make sure there is some in the tank, then make sure the valve is on/open.

hurricane3
October 12th, 2012, 05:14
There is fuel in the tank but how do you check the fuel valve? The only pop ups are the carb heat, radio, mixture , and mags.

hurricane3
October 12th, 2012, 06:03
I've tried everything, I know where the fuel valve is since I've flown a real J-3 but although I can see it in vc cockpit mode it's not clickable ,I guess I'll leave in his cubs for today in case someone comes up with somthing then I'am taking the planes and flights out, no use having planes that won't fly.
Thanks for trying to help

Motormouse
October 12th, 2012, 06:59
I've tried everything, I know where the fuel valve is since I've flown a real J-3 but although I can see it in vc cockpit mode it's not clickable ,I guess I'll leave in his cubs for today in case someone comes up with somthing then I'am taking the planes and flights out, no use having planes that won't fly.
Thanks for trying to help

Try copying any gauge files from Cub panel folder to main fs gauges folder.

or alternately, start a flight with default Cessna 172, get engine running etc, then save flight and exit.

Restart Fs, load flight you've just saved, once it loads then swap to Bill's Cub.

ttfn
Pete

ttfn

Pete

Sunny9850
October 12th, 2012, 07:11
Are you using CTRL+E to start the engine ??? That should always configure tanks and fuel valves etc correctly to start. If yes then there is likely something amiss somewhere with the file locations. If you are doing a manual start some other way, I have assigned keys 7-0 to engage the starters individually for example, then there might be something that the CUB needs to start you did not set correctly.
It has been a while since I used Bill's CUB and top of the head I don't remember any particular gotchas with them.

Cheers
Stefan

dhasdell
October 12th, 2012, 07:49
I seem to remember that the fuel valve appears in the vc but is non-functional. I think it works in the 2D cockpit, or maybe from a pop-up.

hurricane3
October 12th, 2012, 08:38
I tried all your suggestions and though the prop turns it won't catch. I used Ctrl e first and no dice, checked Bills readme file ,he says to use M and +, I tried but won't work ,I'am taking the Cub for free out and just be happy with the stock Cub, shame it's got pretty scenery.
Thanks to all who tried and help me.

Motormouse
October 12th, 2012, 08:46
I tried all your suggestions and though the prop turns it won't catch. I used Ctrl e first and no dice, checked Bills readme file ,he says to use M and +, I tried but won't work ,I'am taking the Cub for free out and just be happy with the stock Cub, shame it's got pretty scenery.
Thanks to all who tried and help me.

Just a thought, did you get latest/last version from 'the old hangar'?

ttfn

Pete

hurricane3
October 12th, 2012, 09:02
I have the older version from my backup disks , but I managed to fix the start problem by going to each config file, after checking the stock Cub file and changing the power_scalar ,under piston engine from 0.9something(I forgot the exact number) to 1.0 amd ctrl e now starts the engine everytime.
I thought I might have trouble with the plane creeping forword but it doesn't.
Once again ,thankyou all.

Motormouse
October 12th, 2012, 09:35
Glad you're sorted there;
stash this link somewhere safe - - - > http://theoldhangar.adventureasylum.com/
if you need to get the last version Bill Lyon's released for the guys at 'The Old Hangar'; some othe rnice goodies there
including the Virtual Schneider Project

Hope Roger don't mind me posting it here.

ttfn

Pete

hurricane3
October 13th, 2012, 08:35
Sorry I haven't gotton back sooner , I usually shut my puter down early. I just wanted to thankyou for the link. I got it in my favorites and writen down.
Thanks again my friend.

Milton Shupe
October 13th, 2012, 08:52
Many times this is a simple issue as this statement's value being too low:

normalized_starter_torque=0.033

It's in the Piston Engine section.

If it is too low, the starter requires too much energy and the engine will not fire.
Bump it to .1 for a quick crank start.

hurricane3
October 13th, 2012, 12:52
Thanks for the info ,it's written down now.(I haven't gotten a printer or sound system yet)