PDA

View Full Version : FSX won't install

OleBoy
September 27th, 2012, 09:20
I'm guessing there are fragments of the flight sim hidden within the registry, somewhere. Add/Remove Programs still show the signs of a previous install. FSX, Acceleration, the SDK. All of it. I tried uninstalling them, but the drive that flight sim was on, is bare. Reformatted. So nothing can be removed via Add/Remove.
Are there steps I'm overlooking? Likely so. Then again, maybe this is a sign to stay away once and for all (shrug) :sleep:

bushpilot
September 27th, 2012, 10:04
Try this (Microsoft Fixit): http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

It's new and improved version of the old Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Helped me once in a situation like yours.

OleBoy
September 27th, 2012, 13:56
Your efforts are appreciated. Although the issue appears to be deeper than MS Fixit can fix.
I sincerely hope this does not deem a complete reinstall (format "C") to alleviate the troubles.

Lionheart
September 27th, 2012, 14:05
If nothing else works and it absolutely will not install, I might suggest trying out Prepar3D. It will run all of your FSX scenery and planes.

Bill

OleBoy
September 27th, 2012, 14:10
If nothing else works and it absolutely will not install, I might suggest trying out Prepar3D. It will run all of your FSX scenery and planes.

Bill

I considered this option myself. Problem is, I had to have a friend download the new version due to the size. I've yet to have the chance to pay my friend a visit. Ho-hum :isadizzy:

Lionheart
September 27th, 2012, 14:13
I considered this option myself. Problem is, I had to have a friend download the new version due to the size. I've yet to have the chance to pay my friend a visit. Ho-hum :isadizzy:

arrgh... I wish they had a CD service. That would make it nicer and give us hard copies as well.

Bill

OleBoy
September 27th, 2012, 14:16
arrgh... I wish they had a CD service. That would make it nicer and give us hard copies as well.

Bill

I couldn't agree with you more. 10GB+ is FAR TOO MUCH to download at any speed!!

OleBoy
September 28th, 2012, 06:13
Using the Windows 7 Manager registry tool, I did a search (HKey_Local_Machine) and deleted all traces of Microsoft Flight Simulator X, Microsoft Flight Simulator, and Microsoft Accelleration.
I thought this would resolve my re-install trouble. No such luck. Back to head scratching.

roger-wilco-66
September 28th, 2012, 06:28
Did you try an uninstaller, like http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html ? It scans for zombie installations and such.
What is the exact error you get?

Cheers,
Mark

OleBoy
September 28th, 2012, 06:42
Did you try an uninstaller, like http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html ? It scans for zombie installations and such.
What is the exact error you get?

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark. Thanks for the idea of the Uninstaller. Add/Remove Programs show no signs of flight simulator x whatsoever.
The problem I seem to be having is when I insert the DVD. The options on the screen are Repair or Remove. Choosing either tells me it needs a .DLL file called (see photo) that can't be found to perform the action.73319

Daveroo
September 28th, 2012, 08:32
Method 1: Restart the computer by using a clean startupNote You may experience a temporary loss of some services functionality when you follow these steps. Restoring the settings restores the functionality. However, when you restore the functionality, you may receive the original error message or experience the original problem again.

Open System Configuration. To do this, do one of the following:

In Windows Vista, click Start

http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/Public/EN-US/VistaStartButton.jpg
, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/Public/EN-US/SecurityShield.jpg
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
In Windows XP and earlier versions, click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.

Turn off programs and services. To do this, follow these steps:

Windows VistaWindows XP

On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box. Then, click Disable All.
Click OK, and then click Restart.
On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:

Process SYSTEM.INI File
Process WIN.INI File
Load Startup Items

On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box. Then, click Disable All.
Click OK, and then click Restart.

Delete the registry key for the game. To do this, follow these steps.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Start Registry Editor.

In Windows Vista, click Start

http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/Public/EN-US/VistaStartButton.jpg
, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/Public/EN-US/SecurityShield.jpg
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate and then click to select the following registry key:<samp>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games</samp>

Right-click the registry key of the game that you have problems installing, and then click Delete. Click Yeswhen you are prompted to delete the key.
On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.

Try to install the Microsoft Games for Windows game again.

or you can go here and get the DLL,and try to install it and see what happens http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/G/GameuxInstallHelper.dll/1.00.000.0000b/download.html

OleBoy
September 28th, 2012, 11:18
Daveroo, I kinna thought you may have had something. The link to the .DLL file I mean. I downloaded it and placed it on the sim drive, then installed the DVD. Figured that one of the options, "Repair" or "Remove" would fly for sure. No such luck. The first part (99% of your post above) I had done already.

As for the GameuxInstallHelper.dll file, I don't know where this should go? I put a copy of it on the blank drive that the sim was on and then inserted the DVD. I chose both options, "Repair"/"Remove", but nothing happened except the error about the GameuxInstallHelper.dll not being found.

Would anyone happen to know where I should put the DLL file?

Update:

With a little research I found the correct place to put the DLL file. After placing it in the SysWOW64 Folder, I inserted the DVD once again. I chose each option "Repair"/Remove" and now, see picture. :isadizzy:

kilo delta
September 28th, 2012, 12:18
Hi Oleboy,
Your issue definitely seems to point to some rogue registry entries for FSX being left. I suggest trying Ccleaner's reg cleaner http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER . As with everything pc related, it's best to backup the registry just in case (you'll be offered the choice) though I've never had any issues with that program.

dandog
September 28th, 2012, 12:29
Sometimes the entries in the Add/Remove console will remain even after a program has been removed. Just delete those entries. Go to the search files and folders function XP or Search function Win 7 and search for FSX. Make sure the search includes hidden files and folders. Search your main windows installation drive. Even if you install FSX to another drive, it will leave files on your main drive. Delete any FSX related files and folders. Go to regedit, look in both 'HKEY_Current_User' and 'HKEY_Local_Machine', sub-section 'software'. You will have to expand the 'Microsoft' tree, go to 'Microsoft Games', expand that tree, to get to "Microsoft Games' entries. Delete any instance referring to Flight Simulator 10.0. Then restart your machine and try to re-install FSX. I believe your blank hard drive poses no issue.

Patience is a virtue! Be virtuous.

OleBoy
September 28th, 2012, 12:48
I already tried what you suggest, KD. I thought that would do the trick from the get go. Nope. (shrug)

Sometimes the entries in the Add/Remove console will remain even after a program has been removed. Just delete those entries. Go to the search files and folders function XP or Search function Win 7 and search for FSX. Make sure the search includes hidden files and folders. Search your main windows installation drive. Even if you install FSX to another drive, it will leave files on your main drive. Delete any FSX related files and folders. Go to regedit, look in both 'HKEY_Current_User' and 'HKEY_Local_Machine', sub-section 'software'. You will have to expand the 'Microsoft' tree, go to 'Microsoft Games', expand that tree, to get to "Microsoft Games' entries. Delete any instance referring to Flight Simulator 10.0. Then restart your machine and try to re-install FSX. I believe your blank hard drive poses no issue.

Patience is a virtue! Be virtuous.

I've also been through these procedures several times. There has to be something I'm missing, but what?
I pick at it a little here and there. I get frustrated. I quit for a while.

My searching the web shows numerous instances of this very same thing happening to other FSX participants. Most dated back a few years. Heck, with all the pages I've read that had any relevance I would think there would be a solution.
No deal. This is why I'm baffled

I thank ya for the input!!

FAC257
September 28th, 2012, 15:14
Just a thought. The file that comes up in your error message is normally located in the FSX root directory. If your attempting to re-install again into a location with exactly the same name as your FSX last installation, this may be where that missing link is becoming an obstacle. I think what I would try, after all you done already, is to do a test install run into a new location with a completely different name. If she does install, I'm thinking that you could then do an un-install and in the process the missing link will self-correct. FAC

OleBoy
September 28th, 2012, 15:24
What you suggest sounds like a good approach. Although when the FSX disk is installed and starts, There are only two options. Repair or Remove. The normal "Advanced" options are not available to choose the install location of choice.

I'm currently at a loss of any other ideas. So if anyone else has any, I'll listen! :icon_lol:

Butcherbird17
September 28th, 2012, 21:15
Have not seen this mentioned in this thread, but have you deleted the fsx folders (vista, wins7) under "Documents" and "AppData", Local and Roaming/Microsoft/FSX folders
on your "C" drive?

Joe

Dave Torkington
September 28th, 2012, 22:50
Hi Oleboy,

There are several files in your C:\ that might not have uninstalled...

Do a search for 'flightsimulator' in your C:\ drive and delete these. I find 14 files [all with simconnect in the file name extension].

A long shot but it appears there's still something in your windows installation that FSX install doesn't like!

Could I ask, did you try running a registry cleaner to remove any invalid entries?

Also, how did you remove FSX in the first instance?

Regards, Dave.

Dave Torkington
September 28th, 2012, 23:19
Another two daft thoughts...

Have you tried copying your Disc 1 to your HDD and running it from there?

Do you have UAC turned off?

Regards, Dave.

researchpilot
September 29th, 2012, 00:12
What you suggest sounds like a good approach. Although when the FSX disk is installed and starts, There are only two options. Repair or Remove. The normal "Advanced" options are not available to choose the install location of choice.

I'm currently at a loss of any other ideas. So if anyone else has any, I'll listen! :icon_lol:

Hello All,

I found the solution below after what I thought was a botched un-install of FSX but it seems as though it is a fault of the "un-install routine" for want of a better description. It looks as though it occasionally leaves part of itself behind (in the registry) in error which leads the FSX Installer to believe that it is already installed, and hence wont allow a re-install, as it has above. Here goes;

Grab the original FSX Disc 1 and open it up and explore,

Find a file called setup.ini and open it up,

In the first few lines should be a line which say something along the lines of ProductCode={9527A496-5DF9-412A-ADC7-168BA5379CA6}

Copy all the text inside the brackets (i.e in this case 9527A496-5DF9-412A-ADC7-168BA5379CA6) using CTRL+C to take it to the clipboard.

Open Regedit and open the find window using CTRL+F, then copy the clipboard contents using CTRL+V

Find any references to the ProductCode and delete them.

You'll see that they are paired with entries regarding FSX and uninstalling. If you go into the registry with a working copy of FSX you will find this reference everywhere, however you should only find a few references after a bad un-install has occured which is why I believe its the uninstall routine that is at issue here.

I have posted this to other sites in the past and then have copped the usual comments about not knowing the difference between a product code and product key, its written on the box or the disc etc. If you follow the instructions, the ProductCode line in the setup file will point you in the right direction.

Blue Skies,

Researchpilot

Rich
September 29th, 2012, 00:19
Open your My Documents and look for folder named Flight Simulator X Files and delete it it has saved flights and log books if that folder is still there it will stop install.

A fair chance this will sort it

OleBoy
September 29th, 2012, 04:55
Have not seen this mentioned in this thread, but have you deleted the fsx folders (vista, wins7) under "Documents" and "AppData", Local and Roaming/Microsoft/FSX folders
on your "C" drive?

Joe

These areas are FSX free.

Hi Oleboy,

There are several files in your C:\ that might not have uninstalled...

Do a search for 'flightsimulator' in your C:\ drive and delete these. I find 14 files [all with simconnect in the file name extension].

A long shot but it appears there's still something in your windows installation that FSX install doesn't like!

Could I ask, did you try running a registry cleaner to remove any invalid entries?

Also, how did you remove FSX in the first instance?

Regards, Dave.

There are several simconnect file extensions, although the permissions are set to allow the installer only to remove them. I gave it a shot and tried manually deleting them with administrator rights without any luck.
I've cleaned the registry several times after each walk through of approaches and deleting misc related files.
"How" did I remove FSX? Formatted the drive. (Bad mistake I have learned from) :blind:

Another two daft thoughts...

Have you tried copying your Disc 1 to your HDD and running it from there?

Do you have UAC turned off?

Regards, Dave.

I have tried copying Disk 1 to my hard drive. No such luck.
UAC is turned off.

Hello All,

I found the solution below after what I thought was a botched un-install of FSX but it seems as though it is a fault of the "un-install routine" for want of a better description. It looks as though it occasionally leaves part of itself behind (in the registry) in error which leads the FSX Installer to believe that it is already installed, and hence wont allow a re-install, as it has above. Here goes;

Grab the original FSX Disc 1 and open it up and explore,

Find a file called setup.ini and open it up,

In the first few lines should be a line which say something along the lines of ProductCode={9527A496-5DF9-412A-ADC7-168BA5379CA6}

Copy all the text inside the brackets (i.e in this case 9527A496-5DF9-412A-ADC7-168BA5379CA6) using CTRL+C to take it to the clipboard.

Open Regedit and open the find window using CTRL+F, then copy the clipboard contents using CTRL+V

Find any references to the ProductCode and delete them.

You'll see that they are paired with entries regarding FSX and uninstalling. If you go into the registry with a working copy of FSX you will find this reference everywhere, however you should only find a few references after a bad un-install has occured which is why I believe its the uninstall routine that is at issue here.

I have posted this to other sites in the past and then have copped the usual comments about not knowing the difference between a product code and product key, its written on the box or the disc etc. If you follow the instructions, the ProductCode line in the setup file will point you in the right direction.

Blue Skies,

Researchpilot

There were a couple instances of the product code that were deleted from the registry.

Thanks to everyone!!

(Thoughts) My guess is that what Dave mentions about Simconnect, is the culprit causing the issue. Although I've no idea how to change permissions (Beyond my knowledge) other than the way they are. It appears the installer that installed them is the only way to remove them?

Daveroo
September 29th, 2012, 10:00
here is a forum dedicated to simconnect...maybe register and ask these guys and gals?

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60

OleBoy
September 29th, 2012, 12:20
here is a forum dedicated to simconnect...maybe register and ask these guys and gals?

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Why did I not think of that place? :pop4: I'll do a bit of reading and see what I manage to find.
In the mean time, this may be an alternative. Untested as of yet. http://support.hifitechinc.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/5/3/simconnect-sp1-or-sp2-not-found-error

Worse case scenario, FSX may be gone for a while. Quite a while. Least until I reformat my whole machine. And that's not happening anytime soon. I'm contemplating installing P3D v1.4 and moving forward.

kdl
September 30th, 2012, 22:35
@OleBoy,

I experienced same problems last week when trying to reinstall FSX on a friend's computer. (Win 7 64 bit)
After a complete deinstall there was no chance to get this software installed again. Same errors occured as mentioned above.
I spent hours going through all suggested procedures I found on relevant pages. No success!
And I was close to format C:\ ....
My last resort was to delete all entries that had initials like "fsx..." in the registry, manually.
I restarted the computer and success, FSX installation started.

dandog
October 1st, 2012, 17:47
Oleboy, right click on the folder and click on folder permissions. You might be able to change your permissions to delete that way.

I still believe that a slow and steady pace is what's needed. Go to 'search' and check for anything with 'FSX' or 'FS 10.0'. Then check your registry under both H_Key Local User/Software/Microsoft/Microsoft Games/FS10.0 and H-Key Local Machine/Microsoft/Microsoft Games/FS10.0. Make sure you do not miss even one file in the registry or in the 'search for files and folders'. Include hidden files and folders in the search as well. You may have done this already, but, like me you may have missed a file on the first go round. "Slow and steady as she goes 'Captain!'".

PHo17
October 1st, 2012, 22:32
@OleBoy,

My last resort was to delete all entries that had initials like "fsx..." in the registry, manually.
I restarted the computer and success, FSX installation started.

Some years ago I had a virus protection software installed that slowed down the PC considerably. I wanted to uninstall it and install a new software. I didn't succeed though I had run the unistall process as should be and removed manually averything of it on the HDD. So I contacted the virus protection software support and asked for help.

The method you discribed above was exactly the same they gave to me. So I think it is worth doing it in this case too. Hope they have developed an uninstall tool by now because this manual bussines is a real tedious one. At least they got me to change the software to another more easily removable one.

Pekka