PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Entries

dandog
September 16th, 2012, 17:38
What did I do now? How do I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Meshman
September 17th, 2012, 07:48
That's interesting...

You'll need to locate your active Scenery.cfg file, you didn't mention your OS. Then it would be good to see a screenie of the bottom contents of the file, down where the numbered scenery layers are.

dandog
September 17th, 2012, 09:06
OS is XP Professional, fully patched and updated. Tried to delete scenery.cfg in application data, but a new one was not rebuilt. Tried repair install of FSX Deluxe with Acceleration. Attached screenies of library entries. Any help appreciated

Sieggie
September 17th, 2012, 10:36
You might want to DL this program Scenery Editor at http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/index.html as it will check your scenery.cfg file for errors, in addition to allowing you to organize the scenery very conveniently.

Dave

dandog
September 17th, 2012, 11:16
I used it. No errors. Still no joy. Now even less entries show up. And no errors!

Meshman
September 17th, 2012, 12:03
OS is XP Professional, fully patched and updated. Tried to delete scenery.cfg in application data, but a new one was not rebuilt. Tried repair install of FSX Deluxe with Acceleration. Attached screenies of library entries. Any help appreciated

One of the reasons I don't try to help people anymore is because they either don't give the information asked for or go and doink around and make something worse.

Why would you try to delete the Scenery.cfg file? It's a solution that's severe for the problem, much like doing a reinstall or repair?

The screen captures of the in-sim Scenery Library are nice? But I asked for a picture of the Scenery.Cfg file entries.

It's only an educated guess, but it looked like the Scenery.Cfg file was being recognized and the blanks were due to the Description being blank or having some other error in it. That's (was?) workable, because you would have the source folder to refer to and could re-add the Description information.

Now I don't know what you have. You have addon scenery that's located below default entries. What other else is going on can be anyone's guess.

bruce448
September 17th, 2012, 12:35
Have you tried

start bar, open computer. then do a search for Scenery.cfg

Find the nearest good file dated prior your list disappearing, normally named scenery_before....... open up this file with notepad, then copy (Ctrl+C) the contents.

go back to your search list and find the latest entry, open this once again in notepad highlight the whole page (Ctrl+A) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents over overwriting the old.

You might loose one or two of the recent entries.

Bruce

dandog
September 17th, 2012, 13:41
Hello Meshman. Here is my scenery.cfg. Did not quite understand you wanted to see all .cfg entries. What is listed does not match up with the in sim library entries.

CFG has 124 entries.

dandog
September 17th, 2012, 15:51
Situation mostly solved. FSX was reading a mangled scenery.cfg from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX instead C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX. Now how do I redirect FSX to look in the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX.

I thank Meshman, Sieggie, and Bruce448 for your help in this matter. Daniel

Dangerousdave26
September 17th, 2012, 15:59
The forum software will not let us post backslash 0 in any kind of post.

I don't know why.

You probably should just attach your cfg as a text file to the post that way we can look at it.

Keep in mind there are multiple scenery.cfg files on your pc. On XP there should only be two you need to look at. One is in the Root folder of FSX and the other is in the same folder as your FSX.cfg file.

You need to look at them both and may want to attach them both for comparison. Mark which one came from where.

Sieggie
September 17th, 2012, 16:02
If I were to guess, I would say you lost the backslash zero between the scenery and the number on all the default scenery directories. such as local=Scenery000 should be local=Scenery000. All the number directories should have 4 digits. Possibly some program you used to edit the config stripped the thinking it was a control character.

Dave

Dangerousdave26
September 17th, 2012, 16:10
Lets do this a different way.

****Edit ****

Looks like that idea does not work as I used to do it.

Or at least not on W7.

The general idea was to only have one copy of the scenry.cfg file that FSX or FS9 could write to.

On windows 7 that is not the scenery.cfg file in the FSX root folder.

You may want to play with the idea a few different ways.

This is the default scenery.cfg file.

backup your old ones make them scenery.cfg.old. Keep a copy of the one that is good.

*** Below is the instructions I posted that I now find to work differently than expected. *****

Then use this one to replace all the ones you renamed except the one in the root folder of FSX. Leave that one alone.

All of these ones you have just now placed right click on them and make them Read ONLY.

Now the scenery.cfg file in the root FSX folder replace it with your good one that has all of your scenery installed. DO NOT MARK IT AS READ ONLY.

By marking all of the other instances of the scenery cfg file to read only you force FSX to use the scenery.cfg file in the root FSX folder.

I have done this for years and it helps keep FSX and FS9 scenery from corrupting.

dandog
September 17th, 2012, 17:40
My OS is XP. I have a scenery.cfg in the FSX root folder. My other scenery.cfg resided in the same FSX folder as my FSX.cfg. However, FSX is now using a scenery.cfg that is created in the FSX folder under "All Users", instead of the one under "Administrator" (same folder as FSX.cfg) like it used to do. FSX does not care if there is a scenery.cfg is in the same folder as the FSX.cfg. Odd!?

FSX is now running great, it is just using the scenery.cfg in the folder under the "All Users" file tree instead of the "Administrator" file tree.