PDA

View Full Version : Alabeo Waco Question

Chunk
September 10th, 2012, 19:30
I was flying online at Digital Themepark tonight, or should I say tried to do some flying. We had five total Waco's in our group, and everytime I had the other planes in my view, the FPS would go into the single digit;, and when I'd look away, it would go back to the locked 30 FPS. I thought it was flooding at first, but nobody else experienced these issues. Then I thought that maybe the skins aren't optimized, as I've flown in a server with a bunch of A2A Mustangs; all with 4096x4096 skins. Does anyone have any ideas what might have caused this? This has never happened to me online before.

Cirrus N210MS
September 10th, 2012, 21:50
Hello Chuck Me and the GUys fly the Waco at Digital Theme park alot and never have frame rate drop at all its weird if you have this Prob The Waco has amazing Frames for me no Lag at all I do alot of painting for it for the members who have it

When I am on next time ill look you up:salute:

griphos
September 11th, 2012, 17:41
Yeah, there was a definite issue last night. It may be more of an issue for those with less than the highest specs. I've flown with you, Mike, and others in the Waco and didn't notice much issue, but that was with three or four of us and no more than two in close formation. Last night there were at least five of us in Wacos, and even when not that close to each other, there was a definite slow down. A loss of at least 10 FPS for some.

I have a good machine...okay, a great machine, and so it didn't bother me, but I did notice it. When coming in to land with most of the others on the field already, I dropped from my usual locked at 30 to 22-23. This was at a small default airport with no slowdown due to scenery.

I think it would be great to get a lower-res MP friendly skin for those who want to fly online together. Something similar had to be done for the Dodo. The Waco is a wonderful bird, and a shame not to be able to fly close together in MP.

Chunk
September 11th, 2012, 19:39
I agree that is has to be textures, or maybe even the model itself. I don't have the greatest machine, but to have it dip into the single digits was just horrendous. I've got an i7 965 @ 4.0 GHz.

Cirrus N210MS
September 11th, 2012, 20:08
well the stock Textures are BMP files maybe when i get Home I can help out and convert them to dds which they work better then BMP files which are very Large files

Ext1 16,385 KB
ext2 16,385 KB
ext3 16,385 KB
EXt4 16,385 KB

Once converted the texture size is 5,462 kb which Means it Will Load faster

lucas81
September 12th, 2012, 02:02
I'd say that it may not be the textures but the model. The Alabeo's Waco is very detailed, beautiful model and may be very complex. While single plane offline may have great fps, the group may cause serious fps drops. But this is related to many fsx planes if they do not have LOD's (level of details) added to the main model.

Lucas

griphos
September 12th, 2012, 15:07
Thanks for chiming in, Lucas. Is there something that can be done to fix it that would be relatively easy to do (rather than rebuild the model)?

lucas81
September 12th, 2012, 15:29
The model complexity "may" cause that. The textures are very wisely done and their number is pretty similar to other top addons. Those are only my speculations regarding this superb addon.

Lucas

PS: I think that there was a tool which allowed to open and analyse the model MDL files to see how complex they are. Perhaps Arno wrote it if I am not wrong.