PDA

View Full Version : Help ID Old Douglas 4E That Over Flew My Home

FAC257
September 7th, 2012, 12:01
This one has me stumped.

Two days ago, After just after getting home from work, I heard the distinct sound of 4 big props heading my way.

By the time I made it outside, the aircraft which was either a DC-6 or 7 was already heading away about 2 blocks north of my home. I didn't get look at the side but as best I could tell the entire tail area was green or dark blue-green. It looked like it had to big initials on the tail, "EH". The letters looked staggered on the tail with the "E" being higher up.

I spent the last few days trying to find pics of currently flying aircraft but none come close to the tail color and markings that I think I saw.

Since it was at a very low altitude and in landing config and in about the right position, I thought it might be heading into KVNC. I drove by the airport on the way to work yesterday, but it was still really dark. Even if it had been sitting there on the ramp, I probably wouldn't have seen it. A couple of calls to the airport turned up no answers.

Mystery vintage Douglas sneaking around Fla. :)

FAc

Willy
September 7th, 2012, 13:08
More likely a DC-6 than a -7. The 6 was more economical to operate and lasted longer in service than the 7s.

FAC257
September 7th, 2012, 13:14
Willy

My first thoughts was a 6. I threw a 7 in there when looking for photos, as a just-in-case.

By the time I got outside, I was looking at a 3/4 right side rear view.

FAC

TeaSea
September 7th, 2012, 15:12
Where are you? There's a DC-7 operating in the Miami area that flies to various parts of South Florida. You can actually book a flight.

http://www.miami-airport.com/dc7.asp

FAC257
September 7th, 2012, 15:58
The first time I heard they were going to offer those flights, I wanted to go do that.

It's funny you bring that aircraft up as I think it's an Opa Locka based Douglas.

When I saw the one the other day, I wondered if that's were it's home base might be.

I've been thru airliners.net a few times and I haven't found anything that matches the bits of a paint job that I did see.

FAC