PDA

View Full Version : OT: The remains of St David's Airfield

BeauBrummie
September 5th, 2012, 08:18
Near to where we stayed is the remains of the Coastal Command airfield St Davids (http://www.pembrokeshirecoast.org.uk/webSite/appaccess4all/stdavids_airfield.pdf) (See link for existing airfield). A bit further away is Brawby, which was a satellite airfield to St Davids in WW2, then was taken over by the RN, then given back to the RAF and in the '90's was anded over to the army and is run by the Royal Signals. St David's operated from '43-45 and flew Halifaxes for Atlantic and Biscay patrols. Nowadays its managed by the Pembrokeshire National Park as a nature reserve. So its perfectly accessable and we crossed it to get to the Coastal Path.

Led Zeppelin
September 6th, 2012, 10:16
Thanks for the photos.

Pat Pattle
September 6th, 2012, 11:54
There's something quite sobering about old airfields, the memories and atmosphere. You can imageine those aircraft thundering along the runways and the tension in the crews. Thanks for posting Jeff.

I'll be down in Cornwall soon so will be visiting a couple down there, hopefully.

KellyB
September 7th, 2012, 05:19
It's reminiscent of the opening scenes of "Twelve o'clock High" when Dean Jagger visits the abandoned field and hears the voices of the past.

There is an eerie sense of a connection when one visits such places.

BeauBrummie
September 7th, 2012, 10:48
I'll be down in Cornwall soon so will be visiting a couple down there, hopefully.

Which one are most likely Clive? Before kids we holidayed in St Agnes, which put us close to Peranporth airfield. Alas I wasn't really aware of the Cornish airfields at the time.

Kevin Derby
September 7th, 2012, 11:33
.....Photos like these are what makes me want to visit England.....Thank You.:salute:

Cuttles
September 9th, 2012, 08:22
Although must have been an intense period with a lot going on from 44/45, I marvel at all the work done: bricks, hardstanding/paving all for such a short time in history...and now just lying there, silent.

And then add it to the reality of just how many airfields there were, and the enormity. How did they ever do it all?

There's and enormous one down here in W.A, still in civil use, and one can marvel at all the intricate work of concrete culverts and drainage about, all carefully done and not skimped and still very good, with some buildings still used too. More than a mile long, huge all ways. There were long-ranging B24's there; one crashed and ammo. casings etc could still be found in the salt flats.

But it was only one, and there others out in the 'boonies' that still might not be known about.......or impossible to find.

Pat Pattle
September 13th, 2012, 03:31
Which one are most likely Clive? Before kids we holidayed in St Agnes, which put us close to Peranporth airfield.

We're staying in Hayle Jeff, the neareast airfields I'd like to see are Predannack, Portreath and Perranporth.But, as always, it depends on what plans Mrs Pattle has for us though!

As long as I get to have a look at one of them and get to sample some local ales along the way I'll be a happy chappy. :)

http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/regional/Cornwall.html

BeauBrummie
September 13th, 2012, 13:08
the neareast airfields I'd like to see are Predannack, Portreath and Perranporth

Ah those names take me back to those heady days of the Cornish Airfield pack in the days before ETO. Which reminds me, I never finished that Banff airfield facility (as well other partially started projects!

Pat Pattle
September 13th, 2012, 21:22
Banff airfield facility

On that subject do you have that low poly static Mossie model? I've lost both it and the source. :(

BeauBrummie
September 14th, 2012, 08:18
check your e-mail Clive :salute: