PDA

View Full Version : Back To CFS3 With Questions

Gonzo27
September 3rd, 2012, 16:35
Hello Everyone,

As the title states, I just installed CFS 3 again after a few years away and am needing a little help.
I'm loving the TrackIr support, but I can't seem to switch gunner positions on the bombers while using it.
Is there a work-around for this? Also, is it possible to change the 'fish-eye' virtual cockpit viewpoint of
some of the planes, or at least move it closer? Using the assigned keys from my controls config doesn't
work while using TrackIr either. I'm dowloading the PTO and MAW mods. Are there any other recommended
graphics/terrain mods?

Regards,
Gonzo

Daiwilletti
September 3rd, 2012, 20:33
Hello Everyone,

Also, is it possible to change the 'fish-eye' virtual cockpit viewpoint of
some of the planes, or at least move it closer? Using the assigned keys from my controls config doesn't
work while using TrackIr either. I'm dowloading the PTO and MAW mods. Are there any other recommended
graphics/terrain mods?

Regards,
Gonzo

Hi Gonzo, I don't have Trackir but there are several ways to "skin a cat" for viewpoints. One way is to go into the aircraft's .xdp file, open with Notepad or similar and you can edit the pilot's position and field of view (IIRC) from within the xdp file.

As for mods, where to start? There are heaps. Just as a start the latest scenery addon by Von-Oben which integrates winding Man's Scenery Manager 4.7 with ETO and seven different season files, is probably a good start with the ETO addon. You haven't mentioned ETO? Located at the aussiex.org website. Whilst there find the Rising sun Beta addon. Also pat Pattle's BoB addon is found there too I think.

Also find the meshbuilderbudgets V2 file here under CFS3/Other

that will keep you busy for a while :icon_lol:

Pat Pattle
September 3rd, 2012, 21:30
Hi Gonzo and welcome back. :)

If you want to get your hands dirty, there's a file from the SDK which explains what the entries in the viewui.xml file are. Tweaking some of these may help. That fisheye look gives cfs3 a great 3d feel but is also a pain in other ways.

Have attached the file.

gecko
September 4th, 2012, 10:23
I use track ir and find the fisheye view bothersome as well. I typically edit the xdp for the aircraft in question, by changing the FovUP and FovDown (I think those are the right names for the values). I adjust them so the forward field of vision is approximately the field of view that the pilot would have using the external view of the pilot in the cockpit for reference. This seems to give the feel of being in the pilot seat with track ir fairly satisfactorily. I've also made custom track ir profiles for these aircraft which limit the range of motion so you can't look down your own backbone or stick your face through the canopy framing.

I don't think track ir is supported in any other viewpoint besides the default pilot seat.

Gonzo27
September 5th, 2012, 03:48
Thanks Daiwilletti, Pat, and Gecko for the suggestions. I will try them and see what happens. I've downloaded the BOB, MAW,
and PTO addons and have got the latter two up and running. Sounds like ETO is a must as well. Where will I find the time?--lol.
And yes, it must be that while using TrackIr, one can't switch to the gunner positions.