PDA

View Full Version : A nuisance dog

OleBoy
September 2nd, 2012, 11:22
I have an issue with the neighbors dog. Part PitBull, part Rottweiler.
I'm going to give an educated guess being as we (as neighbors. Mostly on their part) don't see things eye to eye. At first their dog was greeting us at our mailbox on a daily basis. Eventually he became aggressive. Showing teeth, raised hair, and challenging us all when we went to get the mail. Things got to the point where the dog grabbed my wife's pant leg. I immediately called the Sheriff. An officer arrived and took our statement. Then went to the neighbors concerning the issue. The neighbors flat out said that we were coercing and antagonizing. Teasing it. This is not so.

The Sheriff had our call on record.

Approximately a week later the dog was back at what he does best. Protecting his property. I respect that. BUT, I DO NOT respect the dog then coming on my property several times and confronting me!
I called the neighbors and told me that if their dog confronts me off of their property in an aggressive manner, I have .357 reasons to cure that so it doesn't happen again!

I'm fed up with this dog. Not too mention, I, my wife and kids have heard the neighbors telling their dog, "Sick-em, Sick-em, Get-em when we have been at our mailbox across the road (on their side) and while we have been working on our property. NOTE: The Sheriffs office told us that there is NOTHING they can do about the dog until the dog has physically caused blood laden damage to one of us and we have to get care from the hospitals ER. If that day comes, I will personally go across the street and shoot the dog myself!!

Since then we got an Ultrasonic Dog Dazer II. It makes the dog run away. Quite affective to a range of about 30 feet.

I want to go one step further. Considering a wall of my garage faces my neighbors across the street, At 80 feet I was thinking of buying (or making) some kind of Super Uber Ultrasonic Bazooka that would flat out make the dog deaf. Or atleast deter it to the point it stops. Something that is activated by his barking only would be even better.

Mind you, I am an animal lover. We have dogs ourselves and have had them for years.

I'm curious if anyone knows of a Super Uber Dog Dazer that can be purchased some where?

HELP!!!! :icon34:

kilo delta
September 2nd, 2012, 11:38
I think at this stage I'd be more inclined to use that .357 on the dog's owners!

:kilroy::icon_lol:

hey_moe
September 2nd, 2012, 12:32
Don't they have a lease law in your area. Because if the dog came after you on your property and you felt the dog was going to do you harm you have the right to do what ever you have to do to protect yourself. Where I live if you get a picture of the said dog running around on the loose that is all the SPCA needs to go after the owner. The first time they are warned. The second time they are issued a summons.They just passed another law here that you cannot tie a dog up and leave it outside on a chain for more than 24 hours. I have a problem here and that is a neighbor a few houses down and behind my house leave their dog outside in the daytime and the damn dog barks the whole time it is outside. When we are in the pool we get to listen to this chet all day. There is nothing we can do but if they leave the dog outside after ten pm and it is still barking then we can call the police. I don't know why in the hell people buy a dog and leave it outside or let it roam the neighbor and bother other neighbors.

Sascha66
September 2nd, 2012, 13:20
This is a bad situation, no matter what you do it is going to cause pain.:isadizzy:

Sounds as if the only soulution would be to take a bazooka to your neighbours house ...

cheezyflier
September 2nd, 2012, 13:38
i love dogs too. but if there was a big dog scaring my family and the owner wouldn't do the right thing, i'd feed the dog a meatball full of raisins. family comes first

robert41
September 2nd, 2012, 15:11
I recommend talking to your mailman/woman on what they use with an aggressive dog.

paiken
September 2nd, 2012, 16:41
I recommend talking to your mailman/woman on what they use with an aggressive dog.

It's called "Halt" and is likely available at your local hardware store or Petsmart, although it may have another name. It's just pepper spray, but it works most of the time.

cheezyflier
September 2nd, 2012, 19:27
but it works most of the time.

i don't know if i'd trust my family to "most of the time". there's going to be trouble with the neighbors when you move against the dog no matter what you do. better to eliminate the threat. one less enemy to deal with.

aeromed202
September 2nd, 2012, 20:03
Difficult as it is I could only advocate continued documentation of events, maybe set up a video camera to catch these people encouraging their dog to violence. Sadly, any act you take that harms the dog or its owner except in obvious defense will likely result in legal action against you. That's why documentation is so important, it's what tends to work well in court because it help portray you as reasonable and intent on following the law. However the use of a repellent sounds defensible and more police reports of every encounter off their property will only add weight to your case.

EasyEd
September 2nd, 2012, 20:16
Hey All, Video is your friend and is far more powerful than a 357 as many have learned including wayward police. -Ed-

mrogers
September 2nd, 2012, 21:56
perhaps you could use your garden hose and apray a good jet of water at the offending dog, that would send it packing.
In all reality you wouldnt be using a 357 anyway, you'd be likely to end up in more trouble. However it certainly will eridicate the problem permanently.

Tom Clayton
September 3rd, 2012, 07:05
Check your local laws and make sure that open carry is legal where you live, then put the .357 in a holster every time you go to the mailbox. Make sure you do this when the dog's owner is in sight. But - make sure you do NOT draw the weapon for any reason other than to defend yourself, or your neighbor can make a case against you for "brandishing."

pfflyers
September 3rd, 2012, 08:45
I've got to go with the video idea. I'd even go as far as openly and obviously recording the dog's behavior as you check your mail and certainly record any instances where the dog leaves its property. Once the neighbors realize you are building a record of their dog they may suddenly become more responsible. Even if the sheriff can't do anything without blood and medical records, Animal Control should be able to do something if you provide video proof of the dog's agressive behavior and the neighbors' lack of control of the dog. If nothing else it might be something you could show to a lawyer.

HouseHobbit
September 3rd, 2012, 09:06
Bad people, raising a bad dog..
very common here I am sorry to say..
Pity that such things happen..

OBIO
September 3rd, 2012, 10:07
Easy solution:

Dump a few cans of Alpo in the middle of the road.....dog comes to eat the Alpo....and someone with a fast car with a strong bumper comes along....problem solved.

OBIO

Willy
September 3rd, 2012, 10:22
A lot of good suggestions here. I've got a similar situation, but it's my horses & free range chickens, guineas and turkeys out behind the house that are threatened by a lab/pitt mix that the owner admits kills poultry but won't do a thing to keep up. I've caught the dog chasing my horses once, but didn't have a gun on me at the time. Here, if a dog is loose and is damaging your property on your land, he's fair game to shoot. But once he leaves your property line, season's over. We've told the owner that if we catch the dog behind the house chasing chickens again, he's dead. The owner just says that his dog is free to roam because we're out in the country which isn't true and we've had a deputy out to explain it to him.

If those people are telling that dog up to "sic em", that can be construed as attempted assault with a deadly weapon if it's a pitt or pitt mix.