PDA

View Full Version : B-17 in 1943 A mid-air collision

tony2
September 1st, 2012, 09:14
This is an intresting story - B-17 in 1943 A mid-air collision on February 1, 1943, between a B-17 and a German fighter over the Tunis dock area, became the subject of one of the most famous photographs of World War II.

http://garfieldsteamhouse.org/History/WWII/WWII-B17-Survival-Story.php

They sure built them B-17s tough.............

Tony2

Discus
September 1st, 2012, 16:16
Thanks for sahring this link. Almost incredible storie. You must see the pictures to believe it! Poor guy the one in the fighter.

Discus

watchdog22
September 2nd, 2012, 00:39
That is an outstanding series of shots and story! Thanks for the link

Robert John
September 2nd, 2012, 02:09
Thanks for shareing this story.
RJ

_486_Col_Wolf
September 2nd, 2012, 20:58
I've heard so many stories of B-17's losing pieces of this or that and still making it home but this one should be in every Boeing sales pamphlet that goes out to this day! What a testament to aircraft building. But even more of a testament to the skill and dedication of the pilot and crew members who kept thier heads and did whatever it took to get this winged warrior home.

bearcat241
September 3rd, 2012, 02:35
The B-17 was arguably the toughest warplane plane that EVER flew for any nation. But if i had been in the cockpit of this bird and knew i had even as much as a slim chance, i too would use every ounce of skill and dedication i could muster to get home if we had to chose between our cozy bunks or one of the Nazi Hiltons. I hear that the food and room service really sucked and the staff was a bit too trigger happy...

CheerZ! :icon29: