PDA

View Full Version : About a/c manouverability

nik112
September 1st, 2012, 01:01
Hi all

Flying the bob campaign and trying to fly with dif a/c but same type ex ah me109 and
avhistory me 109 (1gr bf 109) or mz me109 i noticed that the behavior its different.
i mean that iam at 15000ft nose down to 8000 and then right turn. Avhistory me109 flies smoothly
but ah or mz me109 turning after a long time so the spits knock me down.
i "borrowed" the air file and pasted to ah folder and of course i rename it. :running:But i saw no difference.
Its something that i can do to have the same behavior?

thanks

skylane
September 1st, 2012, 01:56
Hello Nik!

To my knowledge, the behaviour of the player aircraft is controlled by the Aircraft Config file, while the airfile is more for the AI.

You could try to adapt the Aircraft file from the plane you like. You would need to copy the first section of the original file (the information below the "Flightsim 0" line) into the modified version. Also, the contact points and the Views sections need to be copied in.
I did this sucessfully with several aircraft already.

Cheers,

skylane

vidal
September 1st, 2012, 02:07
Nevertheless, I think that the air model from AH is more historically accurate. The Me 109 is a maneuvrable aircraft, but at high speed, the stick freeze and you cannot make anything. To regain some ability to turn, you have to decrease your speed. Usually, I also extend the flaps, and the aircraft maneuvrability is back.

Rami
September 1st, 2012, 06:17
Nik112,

Yes, there is. In the AH Bf-109e aircraft.cfg file, there are these sections of ratios.

[flight_tuning]
cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0
parasite_drag_scalar = 0.85
induced_drag_scalar = 0.85
elevator_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_effectiveness = 1.3
rudder_effectiveness = 1.3
pitch_stability = 1.0
roll_stability = 1.0
yaw_stability = 1.0
elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0
rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

The "standard" ratio is 1.0. Changing these ratios, especially with regard to aileron, rudder, and elevator effectiveness will alter the aircraft's maneuverability. Changing the parasitic and induced drag ratios will change the drag, climb, acceleration, and dive capabilities of the aircraft.

Milton Shupe
September 1st, 2012, 06:40
Hello Nik!

To my knowledge, the behaviour of the player aircraft is controlled by the Aircraft Config file, while the airfile is more for the AI.

... snipped ...

Cheers,

skylane

Just for clarification, the air file contains all the data necessary for the flight model (regardless of aircraft type).

The aircraft.cfg simply allows you an easy way to adjust some of the data points in the air file.

Allen
September 1st, 2012, 17:36
Than WTF is up with a number of the stock AIs that have blank .air files?

Milton Shupe
September 1st, 2012, 19:58
Than WTF is up with a number of the stock AIs that have blank .air files?

They are not blank; you just can't read them.

Are you saying the air file is zero length in bytes?

Air files are essential as data cell holders for the sim.

FS will plug in missing values, replace bad/out of range values, and override values with whatever is specified in the aircraft.cfg (if they are valid entries).
CFS may be different than FS2002/4/X in this regard but I doubt it.

nik112
September 2nd, 2012, 00:15
Thanks guys for your replies. I'll try copying/paste the "flying tuning" part of the cfg and i inform you

cheers:running:

Allen
September 2nd, 2012, 13:36
CFS2 has a number of AIs that use a air file that is 10 kb. When you open it with AirEdit it only shows

text 2 Description=

It has no other text of any kind in it.

Milton Shupe
September 2nd, 2012, 15:51
CFS2 has a number of AIs that use a air file that is 10 kb. When you open it with AirEdit it only shows

text 2 Description=

It has no other text of any kind in it.

Allen,

It's been a few years since I have encountered that.

Can you attach one here so I can look at it.

There is a way to make it viewable but I forget now what that is.