PDA

View Full Version : FSX SDK AI FLIGHT PLANS

FSX68
August 31st, 2012, 12:46
I had to get my son to install SDK for me as my FSX is not on the default drive and some "bending" of files or what not was done, that part is sorted out.
Now, when I fire up FSX and create a flight plan and after loading up another aircraft in FSX I am at say, Airport "A" and want to go airport "B" and In FLIGHT TOOLS
create a flight I load the same flight plan and pick a different plane and launch it I then follow that plane to see if it will go to Airport "B". Ii does but then it never lands at
airport "B" it just fly's past it and descending in altitude. I ticked on the "Land" option thinking that the AI plane will land at airport but that doesn't phase it.

Wish there was something better then this SDK for creating flights that I can originate and terminate any where I want and that they will do just that. I miss the old
FS navigator program that was for FS9 but never made it to FSX. That was a most excellent program for doing this and for flying the flight plan you create for the bird
you are flying. If you set waypoints it would make a beep noise then turn on top of the waypoint and head to the next waypoint or land your aircraft. Is there such a
program for FSX? Payware freeware I don't care. I just want to have something that will work like that for FSX. Was FSX designed to actually fly your flight plan? If so how?

Thanks.
:kilroy:

wallyboard
August 31st, 2012, 13:07
Try this freeware program by Don Grovestine. The learning curve is not burdensome, and it does what it's supposed to.

http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?Folder=AIFP&JS=TRUE

By the way, your problem with your flight plan may be "no parking spaces" or "parking full" at the destination; nonetheless, Don's utility fully expalins all that and so much more.

Cheers
Larry

falcon409
August 31st, 2012, 14:10
I'm a bit confused (nothing new really) because you seem to be speaking about setting flight plans for AI aircraft, but then also describe how, with FSNav it would take your plane and fly from point "A" to point "B" and make a sound as it hit each waypoint (I used FSNav extensively to set up hoplists that utilized 50 to 100 airports plus waypoints). You're correct in that it did that better than anything before or since. . .however I wasn't aware that FSNav would do plans for AI aircraft.

On the subject of the SDK, there are several utilities out there that are far more user friendly that will assist you in making AI flight plans that can then be incorporated into the "traffic.bgl" which is what controls all FSX traffic. I'd rather tear out all my fingernails than use the SDK to do anything. It was written by coders, for coders(IMHO) and useless for the average simmer.:salute:

FSX68
August 31st, 2012, 16:26
Try this freeware program by Don Grovestine. The learning curve is not burdensome, and it does what it's supposed to.

http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?Folder=AIFP&JS=TRUE

By the way, your problem with your flight plan may be "no parking spaces" or "parking full" at the destination; nonetheless, Don's utility fully expalins all that and so much more.

Cheers
Larry

I stumbled on this one earlier today, thanks. It does look a bit intimidating to learn. Thanks for the info though.

FSX68
August 31st, 2012, 16:51
I'm a bit confused (nothing new really) because you seem to be speaking about setting flight plans for AI aircraft, but then also describe how, with FSNav it would take your plane and fly from point "A" to point "B" and make a sound as it hit each waypoint (I used FSNav extensively to set up hoplists that utilized 50 to 100 airports plus waypoints). You're correct in that it did that better than anything before or since. . .however I wasn't aware that FSNav would do plans for AI aircraft.

On the subject of the SDK, there are several utilities out there that are far more user friendly that will assist you in making AI flight plans that can then be incorporated into the "traffic.bgl" which is what controls all FSX traffic. I'd rather tear out all my fingernails than use the SDK to do anything. It was written by coders, for coders(IMHO) and useless for the average simmer.:salute:

Falcon,

I'll explain a little bit more about the FS NAvigator; I don't know if you remember the program but just to be clear, After you picked a type aircraft in the FS NAv program you would input other
data i.e. airspeed, alt and other junk and the airport you were starting from and the destination and any optional waypoints. Then when you switched back to FS9 you would takeoff and as soon
as you were airborne you could swithch back to FS navigator and hit the auto ilot button and FSNav would fly the plane for you based on you data inputs. Then as you were near any waypoints
you could hear a beep beep and the plane would turn to the next way point or to ultimate destination. As you neared the airport you could turn off autopilot and land manually or let the program
land your airplane hands off. A totally cool program. What I loved about FsNavigtor was that when you had to fly a long 10 hour flight you could put it on autopilot and let it fly to your destination and then take over and make the landing. No sense sitting in front of the computer for that long.

http://www.flightsimworld.com/downloads/viewfile/435.html

falcon409
August 31st, 2012, 17:23
Falcon,

I'll explain a little bit more about the FS NAvigator; I don't know if you remember the program but just to be clear, After you picked a type aircraft in the FS NAv program you would input other
data i.e. airspeed, alt and other junk and the airport you were starting from and the destination and any optional waypoints. Then when you switched back to FS9 you would takeoff and as soon
as you were airborne you could swithch back to FS navigator and hit the auto ilot button and FSNav would fly the plane for you based on you data inputs. Then as you were near any waypoints
you could hear a beep beep and the plane would turn to the next way point or to ultimate destination. As you neared the airport you could turn off autopilot and land manually or let the program
land your airplane hands off. A totally cool program. What I loved about FsNavigtor was that when you had to fly a long 10 hour flight you could put it on autopilot and let it fly to your destination and then take over and make the landing. No sense sitting in front of the computer for that long.

http://www.flightsimworld.com/downloads/viewfile/435.html
Actually, as I mentioned, I used FSNavigator in FS9, I know exactly what it was able to do because I used that function when I first started flying in FS9 to get the hang of landings and ILS approaches. I just let FSNav do it's thing and I took notes. What I'm talking about is that you refer to using it for AI Aircraft and as far as I know, it was not capable of setting flight plans for AI. "AI" being the aircraft that FSX automatically generates in the air and on the ground. Those flight plans are generated via a "bgl" file (traffic.bgl) as I also mentioned in my post.:salute:

FSX68
September 1st, 2012, 03:44
Actually, as I mentioned, I used FSNavigator in FS9, I know exactly what it was able to do because I used that function when I first started flying in FS9 to get the hang of landings and ILS approaches. I just let FSNav do it's thing and I took notes. What I'm talking about is that you refer to using it for AI Aircraft and as far as I know, it was not capable of setting flight plans for AI. "AI" being the aircraft that FSX automatically generates in the air and on the ground. Those flight plans are generated via a "bgl" file (traffic.bgl) as I also mentioned in my post.:salute:

Now That I let what you said "sink in" your right. It was not for AI it was for the aircraft you were flying. My Bad.

:salute: