PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Sub Hunters to The Sub-committee

lazarus
August 30th, 2012, 02:30
Some projects for the Stoof and Hiss drivers(and Shack,Nimrod,ect) Some cold war stuff almost done. Still fine tuning a bit.
Barbel class USS Blueback and the old Atomic War Mollusk, USS Nautilus. More on the way. Stay tuned.

seawing
August 30th, 2012, 03:03
Nice! Looking very promising!
Maybe some snorkels with wake available? Just to have something small for the observers on board to look out for?

Cheers,

Seawing

lazarus
August 30th, 2012, 19:45
A batch almost ready to go in the water. Sorry about the render grab size-just a teaser.

Lionheart
August 30th, 2012, 19:54
Very nice!

This will be a cool addon.

In case you do not know, Prepar3D has submarines capability. Even comes with a sub you can run in the sim.

Bill

delta_lima
August 30th, 2012, 20:59
YES!!!

And if there's a chance for some Cold War era Whiskey, Echo, or Kilo tubs, I'd be all over it!!!

Will there be ready-made traffic.bgls, or just the ships and we add them to AICarriers? Might be nice if there was some tracks to/from the main Soviet naval bases and say, Cuba, or Egypt, etc. Or from the main NATO sub bases to a few prominent world cities, in the case of the NATO ones you've done up. Just a thought.

Eagerly awaiting these, for sure!

DL

jeansy
August 30th, 2012, 21:09
Sign me up

cortomalteseit
August 30th, 2012, 22:02
That's what was really missing in FSX! Thanks for the HU!!!

CG_1976
August 30th, 2012, 22:03
Put them near Cuba and watch how fast my USCG hunter looks for meat.

fallenphoenix1986
August 30th, 2012, 22:04
Targets :jump:

Craig

lazarus
August 31st, 2012, 02:43

Targets! They are all run in AICarrier2. I have so much fun with that, I've never messed about with routes, though all the bits are on the drive. 10 minutes of sea trials, CHARLIE, DELTA, and KILO classes seem to work nice, as did the camera-shy MIKE ssn!

spatialpro
August 31st, 2012, 03:23
Sign me up too!

Do they have multiple LOD?

Do they dive and surface occassionally (by using an annimation for the whole model, perhaps with a periscope part which extends and retracts too)?

Are they landable??!!

Thinking of realistic long-distance helo missions, can they have liftable objects attached (e.g. for lifting urgent medevac cases off the casing in a stretcher)?

robertorizzo
August 31st, 2012, 06:16
Well done Lazarus!!

Dave Torkington
August 31st, 2012, 07:25
Looking very good Lazarus :applause:

Milton Shupe
August 31st, 2012, 07:30
That looks great! Beautiful work. :applause:

delta_lima
August 31st, 2012, 08:00
Brilliant news, Laz!

I'll be happy any which way they arrive. The advantage of a traffic bgl is they'd run independantly of any AICarriers session you have for your carriers (I am not aware of being able to have multiple AI carrier sessions open).

Anyway, they look awesome. I like them surfaced like that - they look smart, and allows the detail to be visible. I can see the appeal of landability (Hunt for Red October, anyone?) , beyond that, I don't know if too many more animations yield dimishing returns for what is essentially an AI boat. Looking forward to these for sure!

Cheers,

DL

Lionheart
August 31st, 2012, 08:51
Lazarus,

Have you seen the Type 212 new U-Boots from Germany? Some wild designs. The German military edition has a very cool Hydrogen fuel cell power system in it. It can run submerged for a very long time.

Bill

lazarus
August 31st, 2012, 14:37
The 212's are slick little boats. The Italians have a similar AIP SSKin service, with a natty aquamarine cam job. These are all simple objects, no animations. Good for AI and eye candy, but MDLX format, and freeware. And I messed up the types- short on sleep this week. So
(1)Front to back. Typhoon SSBN, Delta IV SSBN, Oscar III SSGN, Akula(from AvSimRus, but a few Akula I's and II's on the way) and Mike SSN
(2)front to back Mike, Akula, OscarIII, DeltaIV, Typhoon.(3)Kilo and Foxtrot SSK(still needs work, but I like it).(4)Typhoon close up(big!)(5) Gato ( riding a bit low). (6)JMSDF Uzushio class SSK (7) Permit class SSK.(8) Ohio class SSBN

spatialpro
August 31st, 2012, 14:49
Looking extremely good!

lazarus
August 31st, 2012, 17:32
Thanks everyone. I forgot to ask. I need testers. These have only been on my rig, so some testers are needed. PM me.
Some more FiGs.

lazarus
September 1st, 2012, 01:50
Okay; I've a few volunteers. I'll get organized and apprise you of detail later today. Messing with a submarine essential, though a weird thing for FSX.
An ARD/AFDB floating dry dock.

spatialpro
September 1st, 2012, 02:23
WOW! :mixedsmi:

Any chance of adding (baking in) some Ambient Occlusion shading to the floating dock textures?

Andy

An-225
September 1st, 2012, 02:55
Looking very nice! My only suggestion would be to rig in the bow planes on the Typhoon and Oscar, they look a bit odd while surfaced with bow planes extended. Any chance of a Victor class in the future? Sure would be fun to tail with RAZBAM's upcoming P-3. ;)

peter12213
September 1st, 2012, 03:48
Awesome Job!!

Bone
September 1st, 2012, 04:41
Those boats are really cool. I like the way you think.

Lionheart
September 1st, 2012, 05:52
Some very nice, seriously in-depth work!

:applause:

ZEUS67
September 1st, 2012, 11:05
Looking very nice! My only suggestion would be to rig in the bow planes on the Typhoon and Oscar, they look a bit odd while surfaced with bow planes extended. Any chance of a Victor class in the future? Sure would be fun to tail with RAZBAM's upcoming P-3. ;)

I was thinking the same.

Warrant
September 1st, 2012, 15:26
WOW!!! I like this very VERY much!!! :medals::salute::applause:

Warrant
September 1st, 2012, 15:29
The 212's are slick little boats. The Italians have a similar AIP SSKin service, with a natty aquamarine cam job. These are all simple objects, no animations. Good for AI and eye candy, but MDLX format, and freeware. And I messed up the types- short on sleep this week. So
(1)Front to back. Typhoon SSBN, Delta IV SSBN, Oscar III SSGN, Akula(from AvSimRus, but a few Akula I's and II's on the way) and Mike SSN
(2)front to back Mike, Akula, OscarIII, DeltaIV, Typhoon.(3)Kilo and Foxtrot SSK(still needs work, but I like it).(4)Typhoon close up(big!)(5) Gato ( riding a bit low). (6)JMSDF Uzushio class SSK (7) Permit class SSK.(8) Ohio class SSBN

Absolute art!

(only one small comment; the Typhoon class has her diving planes extended while at surface. Are these not these supposed to be retracted?

lazarus
September 2nd, 2012, 14:31
So. Ummm. The diving planes. I was thinking ahead to P3D, which supports subs. We'll see. Baked in textures... ambient occlusion, we'll see. I'm just starting to get a grip on this stuff, and the learning curve goes straight up. simple objects for now as I sort this out. Waiting for mediafire for the beta upload, which gives a bit of time to sort out some defects, and hash out compiler glitches; mostly my own jerk-ass fumbling...
Left to Right: (1)Gato class SS, Ohio class SSBN, Virginia class SSN, Los Angeles class SSN, (2) Virginia class SSN , (3) Foxtrot class SSk getting a full hull.
Thanks for the kind words.

lazarus
September 6th, 2012, 09:45
Beta package uploaded to mediafire, testers; check your PM, and thankyou.
Took a little longet than I thought to get all the bits sorted, FOXTROT is getting some rebuilding (in components so I can put a GOLF in the water.)
Added. AKULA II & III, ALPHA (ALFA?), BOREI, HOTEL, full hull FOXTROT, IJN I-88 SS and 2 I-400 class SSCVL's, and a few small suprises.

lazarus
September 6th, 2012, 09:50

brianf51
November 7th, 2012, 04:00
Excellent stuff, this really appeals to me. I have a fleet of Soviet era subs and surface vessels which I use as AI. They track from Polyarny around northern Europe and the UK. I set the AI up using AIBoats but do find it a little restrictive as the subs are either always on the surface or always at periscope depth. It would be great if they could submerge and surface from time to time.

I chase them around using the Nimrod (alas no more) and they show up on the FS radar gauges. Always looking to expand.

Typhoon leaving Polyarny on winters morning, and waiting to play war games with them..

fliger747
November 7th, 2012, 13:47
Submarines are usually a bit stealthy, one seldom flys along and sees on on the surface anymore. Sonar bouys out there?

T

Scandinavian
January 3rd, 2013, 14:48
Any update on this?

Crash_Hawk
January 4th, 2013, 15:08
Any update on this?

I was wondering the same thing...

Jonathan

lazarus
January 5th, 2013, 10:29

Alive and well. Life, you know. The program has grown to; umm, 40 submarines. I've been re modeling stuff that bugged me, and adding hard decks to the larger boats(Boomer, SSGNs and I400 SSCVLs). Just put 5 more in the water- HM submarines T class, T class postwar, Oberon class, ILK 209, and HM submarine Vanguard class. I'd like to figure out the diving animation, but that might have to wait for a bit, unless an epiphany strikes. I guess I should quit mucking about with it and get it all bound up and shipped out, but that means tackling the nerd's worst nightmare. The documentation!

CG_1976
January 5th, 2013, 13:21
Did you do the RCN Sub force by chance?

lazarus
January 5th, 2013, 13:34
That would be the Oberon (O boat) class- Ojibwa, Okanagan, Onodaga, Olympus and Osiris. As the boats carried no really distinct marks on patrol, I think they're covered. Got a Upholder on the ways, but modeling 18 years of rust and neglect is a bear. HMCS Rainbow and Grilse were Guppy boats, and there is a GUPPY III on the go, so I think were covered there.

Scandinavian
January 5th, 2013, 14:12
Thank you for the update. :) Can't wait to hun these.
And if you ever want to add more subs, there is always the Ula and Kobben classes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alimarante/7411994364/
http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/ula_class_4.jpg

Crash_Hawk
January 5th, 2013, 15:42
Man oh Man!!!

Warming up the P2/P3/Nimrod/Il38!!!! I'm looking forward to this!

Jonathan

(Hope there are enough parking pads @ RAF Kinloss)

lazarus
January 5th, 2013, 23:46
78480 This is the hold up. I keep falling into techniques, and speed reading years of forum posts, then "AAHHH! thats how they do that!" and have to go back and re-massage models. HOTEL class SSBN, hard decks, with shine and what not, new textures. What a difference!
78481 and a GUPPY II SSK.

brianf51
January 6th, 2013, 01:43
Man oh Man!!!

Warming up the P2/P3/Nimrod/Il38!!!! I'm looking forward to this!

Jonathan

(Hope there are enough parking pads @ RAF Kinloss)

Me too Jon, It's my Nimrod so if it needs tweaking in any way just ask. Always been my favourite area of military aviation and was lucky enough to get 201 to take me up to see how it's done. Can't wait to join in some fun. I do already have AI subs transitting on the surface and one at periscope depth, they use the AIBoats program following Google Earth tracks. It's good but a tad unrealistic. The only problem I've discovered with using it in a multi-user environment is synchronisation of the various PC's. Failure to be exactly synched puts the subs in slightly differing locations.

Brian

Crash_Hawk
January 6th, 2013, 05:46
Brian,

I fly the Nimrod regularly. Wonderful machine you made. Thank you! I also fly my Neptune MR1 (P2V-7 dressed up as an MR1) and the Shack MR3. Also been known to do a little sonobuoy dunking in Seaking or whatnot.

Jonathan

p.s. Any chance we'll be able to hunt subs with a Wessex?

lazarus
January 6th, 2013, 09:18
And Brian, thank you so much for the Nimrods. Been flying your mighty hunters since fs2004, the latest iteration has to be one of the smoothest flyers and nicest airplanes to shoot landings in. I just love going and banging bumps and circuts with that one . Its also one of the only models I fly exclusivly from the VC instead of locked spot.

brianf51
January 6th, 2013, 23:18
Thanks guys, perhaps we can take this project somewhere worthwhile :salute:

Crash_Hawk
January 7th, 2013, 00:31
Does anyone have any good ai tracks for ai nimrods? I recently purchased Scotflight's RAF Collection with Kinloss, Leuchars, and Lossiemouth. I lost the ai doing traffic patterns there but I wondering if there are any ai flightplans and the like for actual patrol routes, both for Nimrods and Shackletons....

Thanks for all the hard work so that schleps like me can play!

Jonathan

brianf51
January 7th, 2013, 00:53
I have modified a couple of default tracks to use the Nimrod as AI but what I think we need is a means of driving the AI aircraft from point to point without the need for airports. If anyone knows how to do that we can be in business.

lazarus
January 8th, 2013, 22:14
Soviet sub pack uploaded here and at simVee a few minutes ago. Should be up on the morrow. NATO-non aligned-USN-SETO going shortly.
Who ordered the Swordfish-78702

brianf51
January 9th, 2013, 00:19
Excellent! going to grab this as soon as it's available
:applause:

warchild
January 9th, 2013, 09:36
heh.. I wish our systems were sophisticated enough that we could simply release the subs into the FSX world and roam wherever they wanted too, while we hunted them down.. But, I dream..
Oh well..

strikehawk
January 11th, 2013, 20:57
heh.. I wish our systems were sophisticated enough that we could simply release the subs into the FSX world and roam wherever they wanted too, while we hunted them down.. But, I dream..
Oh well..

Well, I took an SH-60B up and found a Foxtrot on the surface and using the CS Weapons Pack put two Hellfire into it within a range of 5mi. The Foxtrot running submerged had to be attacked with 2.75 FFARs at about 1 mile or less and it still managed to live. I found that the weapons don't/can't lock if the target is underwater even if you can see it's periscope "feather". Now if we can get a Mk46 torpedo for that addon.

lazarus
January 11th, 2013, 21:39
:applause::applause::applause:
BRAVO_ZULU_BRAVO_ZULU_END_X

I've some ASW torps on the go. I've been noodling with a way to use a shell splash effects trigger to see if I could get a torp to go off when it crosses the subs T.
I am already using that method to make a 'seamine' that can be dropped in a field, and will detonate when a user piloted ship runs over it, or 'swept' when a user aircraft overflys at low altitude, but so far, they ignore AI ships. Idealy, when I figure out how scorpio999 got his AI AKULA to submerge and surface, I'd like to explore the idea of a torpedo gauge that would 'detonate' when in the kill zone of a sub, and stop it so it would surface. All the bits are there, just have to suss out how to programe it. Some day.
Glad you're having fun!
USN/NATO/SETO/Non-aligned sub pack uploaded a while ago at simvee, going to upload it here as soon as I'm done here. Should be up on the 'morrow.

seawing
January 12th, 2013, 07:55
Hi Lazarus,

there appears to be a problem in the library with the US NATO sub pack. When you download it from SOH the file you get is actually the RN fleet you uploaded as well. So this one appears to be in the library twice! Could you check that?

Seawing

lazarus
January 12th, 2013, 11:40
I and I and Murphy strike again! Right you are. Reuploaded the right zip(crosses fingers). Sorry guys and gals and Rami.

CG_1976
January 15th, 2013, 00:59
Lazarus, Call the RCN at Avsim fregate_ville_de_quebec.zip

lazarus
January 15th, 2013, 03:46
No way! Really!. Coo! I started on a -280 hull, no further along than that. Off to look! Thanks for the HU

lazarus
January 20th, 2013, 21:57

A peek inside the assembly hall.

lazarus
February 7th, 2013, 15:41
An update on some projects. FIG's for JULIETT class SSG and Upholder/Windsor class. Not a sub, unless you go and poke holes in it, Jaingwei class FFG. A bit to go, but almost ready for some beta testing.I am really rather pleased with the way the juliett and Uboat are going, both of those(and Astute) have deceptively complicated hull forms, and the Julietts limber holes, blast vents and the amount of the inside of the boat you can see from OUTSIDE the boat. I've the Juliett in sub assemblies (pun there) for a version in launch configuration.

lazarus
February 8th, 2013, 00:51

BETA stuff, and a opfor surface unit to practice ASUW tactics on. The JULIETT has her masts and whatnot, and there are 2 models, one has attached bow and stern wakes and smoke effects, and runs at surface flank, the other has no effects and is loafing at 12 kts, both the same model. The UPHOLDER is a place holder for the RCN nutters. She needs all her small bits added and some reshaping. The JIANGWEI class FFG is landable. I am going to have to revisit models and add the attached effects. They seem to add a bit to the look over all.
Now I must retire for the evening. Cheers all.

Dino Cattaneo
February 8th, 2013, 04:40
Very good stuff on this thread, guys!
BTW I am strongly considering to make a native S-3 Viking...

rvn817j
February 8th, 2013, 06:09
Former S-3A Tactical Coordinator here and I vote 'aye for the S-3A. How can I help?

Scandinavian
February 8th, 2013, 07:19
Please do Dino! :) And a E-2. ;)

Dino Cattaneo
February 8th, 2013, 07:28
It is just an idea, for the moment... and a feasibility study. But looks promising, so let's see. And no E-2 from my side...at least for the moment.

lazarus
February 8th, 2013, 22:25
I'm sorry; I had to go get on a fresh pair of shorts. A Dino S-3. Be still my beating heart!
We can only hope.
On a divergent note, I got an Email from a lurker who DL'd the BETA. Seems he was not impressed with the subs to date-a 'pathetic model','don't quit your day job', and 'why are you inflicting this crap on us???' indeed. Considering for a moment what it cost him (nothing) and the number of FSX submarines that look sort of like their RW equivalents (4) that exsisted previously, and putting aside the steep as the Matterhorn learning curve and 5 months since I started bending polys, and that this is a leasure activity that could just have easily stayed on my HD for good- What is the point of an angry email like that?
Put it down to the 'Greater Internet A$$#o!e Effect'. So, just to jack that one and his ilk up a bit more; To our work alive. JULIETT with aft tubes elevated BETA.

and for the BETA config file:

[formation.49]
title=SOVIET_JULLIET_class_SSG_elevated_tubes
unit.0=SOVIET_JULLIET_class_SSG_elevated_tubes,0, 0

Cheers all, and goodnight!