PDA

View Full Version : A quick intro and here's what I've been working on..

liquidchicken
August 30th, 2012, 01:13
G'day all,just a quick hello to everyone in the cfs3 community.As this is my first post I thought it would be polite to describe my interest in all things cfs3.I grew up with gaming,starting off with an atari 2600 of which my first flight 'sim' was Tomcat(?!..) and have progressed through various playstations (Ace combat,heroes of the pacific etc..)and now pc with combat flight sim3,of which I have been playing now since about '06.
I have tried to learn how to use Gmax,but so far I haven't had much luck building aircraft,so decided to have a go at ships instead..a bit like Jaycee I thought that we were short on a couple of IJN ships so originally started this for my own fun,it is a WIP and unfortunately not poly friendly but works fine..would there be enough interest out there for me to finish it for an upload at some stage,any opinions or advice would be great 71733
regards jason

Cuttles
September 1st, 2012, 08:58
Wow, looks detailed, nice contrast. Never enough ships to sink or play havoc with in qc or 'spawn testing' mssions!!!!

Daiwilletti
September 1st, 2012, 19:41
Sweet! another ship!! From famine to feast with the IJN - superb :icon29::icon29:

what's the name/background to this one - is it a light or heavy cruiser?

gecko
September 1st, 2012, 20:07
Quite rare we get a new member here who comes in as a full fledged CFS3 modeler, welcome and well done! What kind of ship is that? Looks good!

Talon
September 1st, 2012, 20:24
Quite rare we get a new member here who comes in as a full fledged CFS3 modeler, welcome and well done! What kind of ship is that? Looks good!

It's definately an IJN Cruiser. With 3 main gun turrets in front could be Takao or Myoko but they had turrets on the stern.The shape of the 2 funnels suggest the Takao. Both classes are heavy Cruisers.The light cruiser Oyoda also had the same gun arrangement but the funnels were different.

The Tone class had 4 main turrets in the front and none on the stern but also had a single funnel.

liquidchicken
September 2nd, 2012, 00:00
The ships based on the Mogami class of heavy cruiser (3 heavies and 1 light),the Mogami,Suzuya,Kumano and Kuma.Currently I've got it named Suzuya but it is a bit of a hodge podge of all four,unfortunately the pictures I used for references were from a tamiya catologue and of late a lot of modellers pics off the net,so there's been a lot of stuff I've had to change along the way..at the moment I'm having trouble getting the main armament to work (c turret seems to work fine,but the rest wont track or fire),but all the AA works happily..I haven't quite nutted out how to texture objects properly so it's all lumps n bumps that's getting the contrast and detail on the ship (noob modelling..),but so far it hasn't caused frame rate problems..hoping to post some more pics soon as things progress..
cheers!

jaycee
September 2nd, 2012, 01:08
Lovely work L. its looking good, hang on in there, hope to see this one soon.

Talon
September 2nd, 2012, 05:44
The ships based on the Mogami class of heavy cruiser (3 heavies and 1 light),the Mogami,Suzuya,Kumano and Kuma.Currently I've got it named Suzuya but it is a bit of a hodge podge of all four,unfortunately the pictures I used for references were from a tamiya catologue and of late a lot of modellers pics off the net,so there's been a lot of stuff I've had to change along the way..at the moment I'm having trouble getting the main armament to work (c turret seems to work fine,but the rest wont track or fire),but all the AA works happily..I haven't quite nutted out how to texture objects properly so it's all lumps n bumps that's getting the contrast and detail on the ship (noob modelling..),but so far it hasn't caused frame rate problems..hoping to post some more pics soon as things progress..
cheers!

At first I thought it might be a Mogami class but in your pic it looks like you have 2 funnels and the Mogami had only 1.

Maybe this will be of some help.

Pat Pattle
September 2nd, 2012, 09:14
Welcome aboard Jason! Great to see someone making new models for the old sim. Wonder how many other folks are out there modding that we don't know about!

Great looking ship too, it looks to me that you have gmax skills aplenty. :)

HouseHobbit
September 2nd, 2012, 16:49
WOW!! I am so very pleased and grateful..
BRAVO!!
I can't wait for this..
Many Thanks..

liquidchicken
September 5th, 2012, 02:05
Just a quick correction to the ship names in the Mogami class,the light cruiser was actually the Mikuma and not Kuma (my bad,didn't have my tamiya book in front of me..)..yep,I thought the ship had one funnel too until I started looking at my catalogue a bit harder,then I found the Lions Roar models website with the photo etched detail sets and that's when I started to realised I had an awful lot of stuff I have to change,If anyone hasn't seen this stuff then it's well worth a look..I have revised the funnels slightly since the previous pic as they weren't right,put a texture on the grilles the other night and that didn't quite work out..having fun playing with it though and hope to have some more progress to show soon.:jump: