PDA

View Full Version : AMELIA! WHERE ARE YOU?

beana51
August 18th, 2012, 05:18
<tbody>
TIGHAR's findings are detailed in "Finding Amelia Earhart: Mystery Solved?" a Discovery Channel documentary that airs Sunday, Aug. 19 at 10 PM ET/PT

For me,that little question mark gives me pause...it did not say emphatically ..."YEP WE FOUND HER"or a plane part with numbers.....However we shall see the result of this multi million dollar excursion!..It may be there is enough of circumstantial evidence to be true?..But then again just more question marks!!...VELY INTERESTING!!! The Legend and Myth lives on!!

http://news.discovery.com/history/amelia-earhart-plane-located-120817.html

<tbody>

</tbody>

</tbody>

pfflyers
August 18th, 2012, 07:28
I guess I'm just skeptical and cynical. Reminds me in a way of the search for Bigfoot and ET. As long as the mystery persists TIGHAR can keep raising funds and taking nice cruises around the Pacific. What would they all do if they really did find her? They'd all have to get real jobs.

That's not to say I don't wish to see the mystery solved, I do wish them luck.

glh
August 18th, 2012, 07:44
I, too, would certainly like to see a comprehensive and definite solution to the Earhart mystery. But from the reports I read of this latest expedition, it seemed to be plagued by technical problems with the equipment. Apparently, they could not fix the problems in the field and had to give up.

And some photo of a debris field ?? C'mon, if it was really debris from the Electra, it stands to reason there would be an ENGINE or two somewhere around. That much metal would not have corroded away in 75 years.

If they can't solve it in another one or two expeditions, they're going to look rather ridiculous.

beana51
August 18th, 2012, 08:07
It cannot be discounted that she and her navigator ,were captured by the Japanese,tried as spies,and executed....It may be a secret now lost in time....her capture as a spy was and is a major embarrassment to the us,and now the Japanese will never revel the incident....On C-span 3 this AM , this Dr. White Wallenborn
Warrenton, Virginia
Saturday, August 18, 2012
Seventy-five years ago on July 2, 1937, aviator Amelia Earhart and her navigator Fred Noonan went missing over the Pacific Ocean while attempting to circumnavigate the globe. Dr. White Wallenborn has spent more than 50 years researching Amelia Earhart, and in this program he shares his updated findings on her life and disappearance. The Fauquier Heritage Institute hosted this event.

For the serous ,this guy,presented a fascinating case for this....He will be on again Sun at 5:30p & Mon at 6:30a ET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKpRjj30mPU&feature=player_embedded#!

pfflyers
August 19th, 2012, 19:49
Just finished watching the Discovery Channel doc. There's an hour I wish I could have back. Looks like Robert Ballard must have bailed on them.

SSI01
August 20th, 2012, 03:39
One of the greatest missing-persons cases of all times. She was known to be a pacifist and an ardent foe of any US involvement in WWII. I suppose by some means this mind-set could be utilized to get her to somehow snoop around the Carolines or other island group then in the hands of the Japanese, on the premise her information might allow a U.S. diplomatic challenge to Japanese activities in those islands and somehow prevent the spread of military activity to an otherwise peaceful region. Still, her viewpoints on international affairs would have made her a potential liability to FDR, much as Charles Lindhergh was. She was also reportedly quite familiar with Asian culture in general and Japanese culture in particular, had met Adm Yamamoto and Emperor Hirohito, and spoke Japanese fluently. Interesting points seldom reported.:icon_eek:

pfflyers
August 20th, 2012, 06:58
Ah, the conspiracy theories, what fun. My favorite is that after 20 years in a Japanese prison camp, she and Fred slipped into the US incognito, shot JFK, then were abducted by aliens and taken to the Dog Star where they are to this day, hanging out and swapping flying stories with the crews from Flight 19.

PRB
August 20th, 2012, 07:43
That show was a waste of time, much like the expedition itself. A whole hour just to tell us that they discovered exactly nothing. As for the conspiracy theories, we may not everything about her fate, but one thing we do know is that she was close to the Itasca at the time of her last transmission, when she reported being low on fuel. That makes it pretty certain that she went down near Howland island. All the conspiracy theories first have to first explain how she ditched near Howland island and then ended up in Japan, or Timbuktu, or where ever...

aeronca1
August 20th, 2012, 08:24
Ah, the conspiracy theories, what fun. My favorite is that after 20 years in a Japanese prison camp, she and Fred slipped into the US incognito, shot JFK, then were abducted by aliens and taken to the Dog Star where they are to this day, hanging out and swapping flying stories with the crews from Flight 19.

The way I heard it was they stopped by North Korea after release from the prison camp to have their appearances physically altered to enable them to wear huge over sized glasses before slipping into the US. The pit bull that told me this is a sleazy character however.

glh
August 20th, 2012, 09:54
It struck me that the yellow torpedo-like AUV either had repeated equipment problems and/or the operators were relatively untrained in operation over an uneven or mountainous sea floor. Then the fellow operating the tethered ROV had to spend time rescuing the AUV. I got the impression of poor preparation and not much practice in AUV operation -- most likely overconfidence from finding the Black Box on the Air France flight that crashed in the Atlantic and sank to a SMOOTH sea floor.

I would suggest that they need to get Bob Ballard and/or Clive Cussler onboard. There needs to be a resolution of whether or not the Electra is indeed in the water off the west end of the island.

pfflyers
August 20th, 2012, 16:25
PRB, you bring up an excellent point! All those that claim she was shot down/captured/executed by the Japanese got a lotta splainin' to do.

On the subject of pit bulls, never did meet one I'd really trust. However that little dog from M.I.B.II seems pretty reliable.

To be serious for a moment, I'd really like a definitive answer to her fate in my lifetime, but if Gillespie is wrong (merciful heavens, did I really say that) and she crashed in deep water we may never know what happened to her.

fliger747
August 20th, 2012, 17:00
Didn't see the Discover Channel program, but did see via the net an interview and a few photos. Not seeing anything much in the way of evidence as yet. The "thing" sticking out of the water in the 1937 photo was especially unconvincing. As pointed out earlier, engines usually hold up well in wrecks.

T

Bomber_12th
August 20th, 2012, 17:51
Well they managed to fund yet another summer vacation for themselves, with yet again nothing in return for the couple million invested in it by those gullible enough to believe the salesmanship. They've spent what, 25 years at this, and still not a single piece of evidence to say one thing or another? Back when this summer's "expedition" completed, they mentioned right then afterward that it was a failure, but now they are of course trying their hardest to do all they can to twist something out of nothing so that they can get the support for another South Pacific vacation going for next summer.

Now if there is a group to get behind, perhaps you'd be interested in this search effort (if you're not familiar, it will take you a bit of time to read the entire back story and about the expeditions and findings that have occurred in the last two decades (there's a lot to it)): http://www.electranewbritain.com/

At least this group has never presented any BS or hype, and just goes about its business.

Willy
August 21st, 2012, 09:25
I'm with Bomber on the New Britain group. Much more intriguing.