PDA

View Full Version : Bismarck

Talon
August 15th, 2012, 14:09
I did some new textures for Bismarck.The original textures for when Bismarck was in the Baltic Sea. The Black and White stripes were painted over with Grey and there was no Swastika on the deck

There is a debate as to what color the turret tops were ( yellow,rred or grey ) but sources say they were grey. My source was in the German Navy and was on one of the supply ships for Bismarck.He watched as they painted out the stripes and redid the turrets in Norway.

Some pics.

gecko
August 15th, 2012, 14:57
Very nice! I take it these are her markings for her final cruise?

Talon
August 15th, 2012, 15:05
Very nice! I take it these are her markings for her final cruise?

Yes this is the paint scheme for the final cruise.

BTW Bismarck was referred to as masculine by the Germans.

gecko
August 15th, 2012, 20:40
Interesting, are all ships masculine in German, or just the ones with really big guns? I've had a couple years of German, never learned that though.

Pat Pattle
August 15th, 2012, 21:21
Looks great Al. Didn't know about the masculine reference either!

HouseHobbit
August 16th, 2012, 02:01
HE looks Great! Bravo..:applause:

grizzly50
August 16th, 2012, 03:58
Lookin' good, Talon.

Yes, it was always "he" and "him" and never "she" and "her".

Talon
August 16th, 2012, 08:42
Interesting, are all ships masculine in German, or just the ones with really big guns? I've had a couple years of German, never learned that though.

Only Bismarck was referred to as masculine.

fliger747
August 16th, 2012, 09:46
Once in Norway, the camo scheme was painted out so as to allow possible confusion with British Ships. My understanding was that the masculine gender reference was at the insistence of Captain Lindeman.

T

Naismith
August 16th, 2012, 10:57
So it is Der Bismarck, and Die Scharnhorst then. I'll wager Admiral Hipper was confused. :salute:

pfflyers
August 16th, 2012, 12:11
Some time back I saw some illustrations in NatGeo following Robert Ballard's discovery of its resting place. I seem to remember them depicting the swastikas, was this accurate or artistic license?