PDA

View Full Version : CFS3 IN WINDOWS EIGHT

garykidman
August 14th, 2012, 07:19
With the release of Windows 8 looking pretty imminent are we going to say goodbye to CFS3 I'm sure that to those who have been loyal to CFS3
we are wondering if it will work especially after the complexity of installing it with Windows 7 Perhaps someone from Microsoft could enlighten us on this.
Or is it finally goodbye to CFS3.

hairyspin
August 14th, 2012, 08:35
If it doesn't fully support DirectX 9 then it won't run CFS3. I don't know definitively but the word is not encouraging.

Pat Pattle
August 14th, 2012, 21:24
What about these 'virtual computers' I've been hearing about? You can run any operating system this way apparently.
If not, what about Linux? There must be a way!!:kilroy:

Tailwind
August 16th, 2012, 13:55
What about these 'virtual computers' I've been hearing about? You can run any operating system this way apparently.
If not, what about Linux? There must be a way!!:kilroy:

AFAIK the virtual machines run a very basic virtual video card that will not support much gaming. Before cracking the Win7 CFS3 and CFS3 MP issue I had tried both the Microsoft and VMWare clients with no success. It wouldn't even install. Posted an error that the video card did not support the graphics requirement

Unless they ramp up the quality of the video card there will not likely be success with this

Cheers

TW

hairyspin
August 17th, 2012, 10:52
Not that it's much consolation but FSX (and FS9) users will also be at a loss should DirectX 9 not be supported. :blind:

MajorMagee
August 17th, 2012, 14:03
PlatformClients – Windows 8DescriptionIntel and AMD/ATI no longer support their DX9 graphics parts and will not be updating drivers for these devices for Windows 8. Furthermore, these devices are not covered in-box for Windows 8. The last drivers for these devices are those available on WU and on the OEM/IHV’s websites; many date from Vista, and many of these final version drivers exhibit problems on Windows 8. In addition, nVidia has recently stated that they will not support their DX9 (Vista and older) mobile (notebook) parts for Win8. They continue to support their desktop DX9 parts.
All of these driver/part combinations are on the Internet Explorer 9 software fallback list. This means that for either performance or stability reasons, Internet Explorer 9 uses software rendering on these devices. This is a good indication that the experience with Metro style apps will not be satisfactory on these drivers and parts.
ManifestationAs there is no in-box support for these devices, many users with these parts will wind up running on the Microsoft Basic Display Driver. This is a WARP-based WDDM 1.2 software GPU, and is actually faster than some of the parts in this class, for example, the Intel GMA500 series). It supports aero-glass and DWM, and can run Metro style apps.
However, it has some important limitations:

It doesn’t support multiple monitors or projection
It doesn’t support sleep, though it does support hibernation
It often will not allow changing screen resolution

MitigationIf after testing, you find that the user experience is not acceptable, you may choose to set hardware requirements for their products that exclude these older DX9 Intel and AMD parts. You may also choose to alert your customers that they may have an unacceptable experience on these parts.

Build date: 7/20/2012

Pat Pattle
August 17th, 2012, 21:31
Came across this windows alternative http://wiki.winehq.org/ which may be one route out of the problem and I guess (hope!) there's others.

rocketred
August 20th, 2012, 13:44
i see maybe we need to create our own machines for eto-cfs3-etc........

somehow ....

i do see a death spiral moving forward if technolgy cant support the efforts for max/ effort