PDA

View Full Version : Flying the Iris Vulcan

P38man
August 13th, 2012, 04:23
For no reason I can comprehend the plane will suddenly start to dive and no matter how hard I pull back it continues.

The weird thing is the dive is shallow, very shallow.

All the way from over 20000 feet to the ground.

Is there something I have missed ?

Chris Sykes
August 13th, 2012, 06:10
sounds like your flying it too fast? The vulcan had a tendancy to nose dive at high speeds

Ian Warren
August 13th, 2012, 15:44
sounds like your flying it too fast? The vulcan had a tendancy to nose dive at high speeds

Exactly what Chris said , going to fast , go into this death dive throttle back .. the big thing to help you is the speed brakes are connected by default as flaps so this could have confused you and three settings , this aircraft is a lotta fun and for one person who did not like it .... stopped at my place to check it out , its now his favorite ! :cool: <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

P38man
August 13th, 2012, 15:47

Ah ok I didn't know that. I am guessing that will solve the problem.

Awesome that is even modelled.

Thanks Chris and Ian, have a nice day!

Yes I find the VC is awesome. So much black, so little view.

delta558
August 13th, 2012, 17:43
Page 20 of the manual gives you the speed limitations. Don't forget, the Vulcan was fairly overpowered (especially at light weights) as it actually had a climb-away capability on one engine up to and including its max operational weight.

You need to manage your throttles, it is very easy to overspeed: I read an article a while back about the flight testing of XH558 when it was first 'returned to flight', Barry Masefield asked for a high throttle setting across the board on climb-out to check engine parameters and Dave Thomas' response was "negative, if I do that now it'll rip the wings off" or something very similar:icon_eek:

Ian Warren
August 13th, 2012, 17:58
You need to manage your throttles, it is very easy to overspeed: I read an article a while back about the flight testing of XH558 when it was first 'returned to flight', Barry Masefield asked for a high throttle setting across the board on climb-out to check engine parameters and Dave Thomas' response was "negative, if I do that now it'll rip the wings off" or something very similar:icon_eek:

Delta , think we need to set up a MP , once got the speeds sorted they are a joy to multiplay with , course this lesson above is good so not to have everyone on the ground in 5 minutes , but generally best way to approach the types is attack it as if your a real test pilot .. manual read .. buy the books on then and really learn the type . :cool:

As i said , friend stopped by my place , mentioned the fun jobby's .. Vulcan he brought as soon as he was home .. its simply so much fun because of limited vision and its very Avro Lancastrian heritage .. the power .. FUN !

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

jetstreamsky
August 14th, 2012, 09:25
I posted this over on the Newshawks forum, but this might give you some ideas for flight practice with the Iris model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkWO5zVPz4g&sns=em

delta558
August 15th, 2012, 14:58
http://airfieldconstructiongroup.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=708

May be of interest to anybody who flies the Vulcan - it's a freeware soundpack which is quite impressive.

delta558
August 15th, 2012, 16:01
There's a direct mediafire link on page 4.

Ian Warren
August 15th, 2012, 17:55
I posted this over on the Newshawks forum, but this might give you some ideas for flight practice with the Iris model

Thanks , I have a UK visitor currently staying nearby 'Adrian Petford ', had to meet the NZ Vulcan nutters and after looking at that video not hard to believe the worldly interest , he'd be in later tonight , show will show Ade this posting ..Brilliant
:applause:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ian Warren
August 15th, 2012, 17:58
http://airfieldconstructiongroup.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=708

May be of interest to anybody who flies the Vulcan - it's a freeware soundpack which is quite impressive.

Thank you Paul , love to test try this sound package out tonight with my UK visitor :cool:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

P38man
August 15th, 2012, 18:44
There's a direct mediafire link on page 4.

I cannot see the page. Would you mind sharing the link?

X_eidos2
August 15th, 2012, 18:49
I found this documentary just last week on YouTube. It's a full length video about the Vulcan and it's raid in the Falklands war. One of the better aviation documentaries that I've seen in a long time. It should be a real inspiration to anyone flying the FSX Vulcan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40knj0qg_Us