PDA

View Full Version : How to open and read 'gau' files in CFS2

dlawrence1950
August 10th, 2012, 10:57
What type of program or programs do I need to have installed in order to open and read the aircraft gauges for CFS2. The reason I am asking is because there have been some addon gauges that do not fuction or operate at all. They look good when installed into an aircaft panel file, but they do not do what they are intended to do.

Any help with this aspect of the game will be most appreciated!

Thanks

Desert Rat
August 10th, 2012, 13:21
d,

unfortunately I know of no such thing. Gauge files (.gau) are programmed in C++ basic if I understand it right. Once compiled, that's it unfortunately.

Two reasons I can think that a gauge does nothing, firstly, the designer wanted it that way, just a dummy, to represent the panel correctly but CFS2 doesn't support the function, so a 'false' gauge is made with no function to fill the gap on the panel. Secondly, the gauge may have a function, but the aircraft it is used on doesn't have the right set up in the airfile, ie. fuel tank 3 gauge when the aircraft only has two in the airfile.

Depending why dictates the solution, or lack of.

Jamie

dlawrence1950
August 11th, 2012, 08:10
In order for me to create my own Gauges for an aircraft I would need the 'C++ basic' program installed on my Computer is this correct? And if so where can I either download it or buy it?

Also if I am understanding what you stated Mr. JDTinballs in your response to my post that if the CFS2 game or the aircraft airfile does not support the gauge it will not fuction at all, so a certain type of gauge is nothing more than eye candy so to speak?

How can I find out if the game or the airfile will support the function of a particalur gauge?

Is this something I can find out by looking in an aircraft's airfile and if so what what I need to be looking for?

In order to modify an existing gauge I would need the creator of the 'Gauge' source file code and also the Program ?

Thanks for the input and response to my post.

Desert Rat
August 11th, 2012, 08:34
dl,

I'm no expert on this, just remember some stuff that Moparmike once told me. Checking an old e-mail he says he uses Paintshop pro for the Artwork and
The programming part is done in C (I use the FS2000 SDK info for CFS2 gauges) and use MS Visual Studio 2003 for that.. Anything more is beyond me. Try dropping into the panel design forum here, it may look empty, you just need to change how long ago it goes back in time (drop-down menu under empty threads section).

As for the rest, what plane and what gauges are you having problems with specifically?

Jamie

misson
August 11th, 2012, 09:00
FS98/CFS/FS2000 GAU to BMP utility (http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=gaubmp2.zip) JUST GO HERE: http://www.simviation.com/fsdesign_panels1.htm So u can modify a working gauge for other with other apereance.:wavey:

Allen
August 11th, 2012, 11:12
It would help if we knew what gauge/gauges that you are trying to use.

dlawrence1950
August 12th, 2012, 03:48
A couple of gauges I am wondering about are addon Volts and Amps example '0.P38.Volts and B29.Amps'
they will show up in a panel and act like they are functioning. The needles will move when starting up an aircraft engine, after it is running the needles will stay at zero.

Also I have noticed on the stock gauges such as the gauges for the Hellcat they will show the actual running information when you place the mouse pointer over them. Such as Oil Pressure PSI, Cylinder Head Temp, Fuel Pressure PSI and the Magnetic Compass will read the degress of Heading, versus alot of the addon gauges that are designed for the same function, will not. When you place the pointer over them it only lets you know what type gauge it is and will not give actual readings?

Is this because of the source code for CFS2 and their gauges versus addons?

Desert Rat
August 12th, 2012, 07:16
DL,
the 'roll-over tips' which you described are coded in the gauges by the designer. They will only show you the info the designer 'plugged-in' to the gauge when they made it. Some gauges have no info, not even gauge type, let alone readings. If you really like this info the only options are to design your own gauges or swap the gauges for ones that do show the info you need. This can be done in notepad or a panel design program, such as 'cfgedit (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=49&id=6212)'.

As for the gauges you mention, voltage and current are supported by CFS2 as you can see when you start the engines. It is usual for them to drop after the 'load' of starting, but not usually to zero. Have you turned on your generators/alternators that charge the batteries from the running engine? It maybe the plane doesn't have the necessary entries in the airfile, some airfiles use code from earlier version of CFS/FS that have simpler engine data, this often rears it's head as an engine that is on or off, no start-up/shut-down sounds.

Knowing which aircraft would help the folks round here help you as we have no idea what is in the said airfiles, etc. If it's an older P38 and or B29, there may be newer and nicer versions available, or tweaks already done by others that would help you.

Jamie

Allen
August 12th, 2012, 10:35
The B29.Amps should work just fine in CFS2. To check if you the right engine with in the .air use AirEdit and look for Rec... 505 Engine CFS+ Piston Engine

If you the the 505 Engine next open the aircraft.cfg with note pad and look for [electrical]. If you have no [electrical] with in the aircraft.cfg just go to a stock aircraft and copy and paste it.