PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim/Virtavia release 2 more packages as freeware!

OBIO
August 9th, 2012, 18:53
FS9 Saab Viggen and PBY Catalina. Now freeware on the Alphasim Freeware Directory page.....under USA (Catalina) and Others (Viggen).

http://www.easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/index.php

Viggen paint kit has also been released and is on the Paint Template page.

OBIO

Bradburger
August 9th, 2012, 19:02
Thanks for the HU!

Cheers

Paul

Jagdflieger
August 9th, 2012, 21:14
Great news and thanks for the head up.

Thanks once again to Virtavia for their generosity.

mrogers
August 9th, 2012, 22:41
Wow, thank you Virtavia for this free gift and your generosity!

Stickshaker
August 10th, 2012, 00:58
A generous and much appreciated gesture. Thank you Virtavia!

Duckie
August 10th, 2012, 04:22
:applause: :applause:

mgchrist5
August 10th, 2012, 05:46
Excellent! Thanks to Virtavia, as always.

Ferry_vO
August 10th, 2012, 06:27
To enhance the Viggen, get 'viggensn.zip' from Flightsim.com, and the three repaints by Pierre Lheureux from that same site.

:)

awj112
August 10th, 2012, 06:28
The Viggen is most welcome and if I recall, the release is a reversal of their original position; they were going to try to update and sell it I thought. Regardless, thanks all.

:salute::wavey:

Blackbird686
August 10th, 2012, 10:40
I purchased both the Viggen and the Catalina about a year or so ago, they are very nice models with lotsa goodies. The PBY Cat comes in the "5" and "5a" versions and is an exceptional package. You all are gonna like these as freeware.

BB686:USA-flag:

johnh_049
August 10th, 2012, 12:20
Been flying the Stone Catalina since he released it,
guess I'll try this one out.
Going to have to do some repainting though.

Thanks Virtavia!

Matt Wynn
August 10th, 2012, 12:34
Been flying the Stone Catalina since he released it,
guess I'll try this one out.
Going to have to do some repainting though.

Thanks Virtavia!

echo-ing the above.... same boat here (Well, flying boat, well ok... Amphib) got to find some time from somewhere... :icon_lol:

awj112
August 10th, 2012, 13:08
I see a potential renewed interest in Pierre Lheureux's repaints for the Viggen and Cat.

Ferry_vO
August 10th, 2012, 13:18
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Viggie1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Viggie2.jpg

:d

Wing_Z
August 10th, 2012, 15:16
I was sure there was a repaint for the NZ Cat, but I don't see any...
May be an opportunity for the repaint artists, it's a great scheme:

http://www.catalina.org.nz/documents/38.html

TARPSBird
August 10th, 2012, 16:18
I see a potential renewed interest in Pierre Lheureux's repaints for the Viggen and Cat.
I paged through all 100+ PBY entries at FlightSim.com and didn't see any repaints by Pierre for the AlphaSim/Virtavia aircraft. Do you have a link, or file name(s)? There was quite a bit more available for Mike Stone's and the Aerosoft PBY's.

WarHorse47
August 10th, 2012, 17:21
I paged through all 100+ PBY entries at FlightSim.com and didn't see any repaints by Pierre for the AlphaSim/Virtavia aircraft. Do you have a link, or file name(s)? There was quite a bit more available for Mike Stone's and the Aerosoft PBY's.I've had the Alpha Cat since it first came out, and unfortunately there are not too many repaints out there. There are a few on the various sites, but none I found of the NZ Cat. Hope someone takes on that one.

:ernae:
--WH

EDIT: Don't miss this Viggen Repaint by SteveB - http://www.rbdesign.se/alpha.html

awj112
August 10th, 2012, 19:19
I paged through all 100+ PBY entries at FlightSim.com and didn't see any repaints by Pierre for the AlphaSim/Virtavia aircraft. Do you have a link, or file name(s)? There was quite a bit more available for Mike Stone's and the Aerosoft PBY's.

Check avsim.

stuartcox
August 11th, 2012, 00:20
Would anybody know how to delete the original 'modelled' lighting on the Viggen?
This is such a nice aircraft, but was certainly in need of a new illumination treatment...:-)

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing

light.0 = 4, 18.75, 0.00, 1.00, fx_shockwave_vclight, //fx_vclight,
light.1 = 7, -16.50, -14.90, -1.50, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen
light.2 = 7, -16.50, 14.90, -1.50, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen
//light.3 = 6, -14.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_engine_Alpha Viggen
light.4 = 9, -11.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_Miro_AB // From the great Mirage - Fits perfectly!
light.5 = 1, 5.25, 0.00, 2.80, fx_shockwave_beaconb_lowl
light.6 = 1, 13.25, 0.00, -2.50, fx_shockwave_beaconb_lowl
light.7 = 2, -14.70, -15.00, -1.40, fx_shockwave_strobe_sm
light.8 = 2, -14.70, 15.00, -1.40, fx_shockwave_strobe_sm_2
//light.9 = 3, -8.75, -12.30, -1.40, fx_shockwave_navred
//light.10 = 3, -8.75, 12.30, -1.40, fx_shockwave_navgre
light.11 = 5, 19.25, 0.00, -4.00, fx_shockwave_landing_light_narrow

Matt Wynn
August 11th, 2012, 04:28
i'm not doing anything.... anyone know which colours they use precisely?

Terry
August 11th, 2012, 04:37
There is a Buffalo paint for the Stone PBY. Be nice to have one for the Alpha.

There is a paint by Heather Sherman at Flightsim for the Alpha PBY, fictitious but really nice.

Ferry_vO
August 11th, 2012, 04:38
Well, I was fortunate to crawl through the real thing (You won't believe how cramped it is!) and get a few shots, so...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Aviodrome/PHPBY2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Aviodrome/PHPBY6.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Aviodrome/PHPBY5.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Aviodrome/PHPBY3.jpg

Matt Wynn
August 11th, 2012, 06:45
why is it i ALWAYS get sidetracked?! *sighs* oh well, it's a break from the norm i 'spose :icon_lol:.... ignore the KLU (Koninklijke Luchtmacht)roundel on upper wing it's there on the paintkit and i haven't started the wings.... tailplane.... then markings.... sheesh a lot of work repainters have to do when you think about it....

WarHorse47
August 11th, 2012, 07:36
i'm not doing anything.... anyone know which colours they use precisely?Hi, Matt. Not sure if this will help, but this site has some references to the colours.

http://www.warbirds.co.nz/profile.htm

--WH

Blackbird686
August 11th, 2012, 07:37
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Viggie1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Viggie2.jpg

:d

Very nice shots, Ferry... I have tried that repaint on me copy of the Alpha Viggen, but when I go to the spot view, all of the scenery gets fuzzy. It eventually recovers but takes it about 30 - 40 seconds. An anolomy I have never been able to resolve.:isadizzy:

Ferry_vO
August 11th, 2012, 08:32
Very nice shots, Ferry... I have tried that repaint on me copy of the Alpha Viggen, but when I go to the spot view, all of the scenery gets fuzzy. It eventually recovers but takes it about 30 - 40 seconds. An anolomy I have never been able to resolve.

..Which is why there's no scenery in the shots.. ;)

Blackbird686
August 11th, 2012, 09:22
..Which is why there's no scenery in the shots.. ;)

LOL! I reckon if you went to the spot view and looked at the model for about 30-40 seconds with "no scenery in the view" that would be enough time for the sim to get it's stuff back together and make the scenery "un-fuzzy"...:icon_lol:

The repaint is exquisite.... wonder why it has such an adverse effect on the scenery in FS? There are 2 more repaints by the same chap, one a "Black Knight" scheme and the other is a "Last Flight" scheme. I'll have a go with those too and see how it works out.

Ferry_vO
August 11th, 2012, 09:43
I can't remember having this problem before though; I used to race this 'Lightning bolt' through the Norwegian fjords at low level without scenery problems in the past.

ian elliot
August 11th, 2012, 10:16
Very nice shots, Ferry... I have tried that repaint on me copy of the Alpha Viggen, but when I go to the spot view, all of the scenery gets fuzzy. It eventually recovers but takes it about 30 - 40 seconds. An anolomy I have never been able to resolve

Maybe its the same issue as with Dave Garwoods Hunters, i think the fix is openning up the textures in DXTBmp and saving with no mips, its been a while and ive forgoten exactly what to do, hopefully some other forum member may fill in the blanks,
cheers ian

Blackbird686
August 11th, 2012, 10:22
I had this same issue with some of Dave Garwood's models, specifically the Hawker Hunters... all of them. Buggar!!! :angryfir: There is an excellent Saab 105 model out there as well that also does this to my FS. Too bad, I really liked flying the 105... alot of thought and research went into creating that model, and it was "eye candy" in the spot view. At some point a few chaps here were looking at what may be the cause of this problem but I don't think a solution was ever found. At least I never heard of a solution for it.

I am going to put the "Knight Orden" textures in for the Viggen and have a go with them. They were done by Pierre also.

EDIT: I just opened up the textures with DXTBMP for the "Knight Orden" version. There aren't any mips (that I could tell), but I did see that it has an alpha channel for all of the fuselage parts.

kikas
August 11th, 2012, 10:31
Ok, seems copilots side of panel has no gauges in Catalina, or im only one with this problem?

Hurricane91
August 11th, 2012, 11:58
Hi Kikas,
That seems to be the way the PBY is designed. The Alphasim B-17D has a similar config.
I like the PBY a lot. Many thanks to Alphasim/Virtavia for this aircraft.

glh
August 11th, 2012, 12:57
Thank you, Virtavia. I did take advantage of the 50% off sale for the B-24 and the Sea King and I appreciate the release of older models as freeware.

AK50
August 11th, 2012, 15:10
Gentlemen,
Can't help with the Viggen blurred texture problem straight away but the attached link has a fix for the same problem with Dave Garwood's Hunter's.
http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22235&p=252147#p252147
The post second from bottom has the download link and the thread describes the problem in general. Just copy the textures from the zip into your Hunter texture file, (they work for single and two seaters), and alll should be well.
I expect the problem with the Viggen textures has the same cause as the Hunter; just a matter of finding and saving the relevant texture/texture's in the right format.
Goood Luck,
Alan

Blackbird686
August 11th, 2012, 17:13
AK50... you are THE MAN!!! :applause::applause::applause: I went in and saved ALL of the textures for the Viggen repaints that were in DXT-1 format with mips using Martin Wright's DXTBMP and it fixed the scenery blurries! I have a few of Dave Garwoods Hawker Hunters that I'm going to re-install too, specifically the trainer versions. They will complement my Alphasim Hawker Hunter set very well.

Thanks for the link, mate. :ernae:

WarHorse47
August 16th, 2012, 15:09
why is it i ALWAYS get sidetracked?! *sighs* oh well, it's a break from the norm i 'spose :icon_lol:.... ignore the KLU (Koninklijke Luchtmacht)roundel on upper wing it's there on the paintkit and i haven't started the wings.... tailplane.... then markings.... sheesh a lot of work repainters have to do when you think about it....Hi, Matt. Understand you got your plate full of painting projects and some health issues. Hopefully we'll see a new NZ Repaint for the Cat when things come together.

Cheers
--WH

Sunny9850
August 16th, 2012, 16:58
Well, I was fortunate to crawl through the real thing (You won't believe how cramped it is!) and get a few shots, so...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Aviodrome/PHPBY2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Aviodrome/PHPBY6.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Aviodrome/PHPBY5.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Aviodrome/PHPBY3.jpg

Nice shots Ferry. Still have to upload the shots I took on our visit. I thought the CAT was actually quite roomy. I am hoping to go for a flight with them next vacation.
The guys taking care of her are certainly an exceptionally nice bunch.

I had planned to buy the Catalina from Alphasim after our visit to Lelystad....I guess I can put that money toward a ticket now

Cheers
Stefan

ian elliot
August 16th, 2012, 22:28
Thanks for both Virtavia, really wonderful freeware, just out of intrest, what sounds are you guys using for the Catalina.
cheers ian

Duckie
August 17th, 2012, 05:15
Thanks for both Virtavia, really wonderful freeware, just out of intrest, what sounds are you guys using for the Catalina.
cheers ian

Hello Ian,

I'm using Nmigel Ricards' sounds developed for Milton's S-2 Tracker series. Great sound set and essentially the same engines.

Steve

Ferry_vO
August 17th, 2012, 05:26
I had mine linked to the Maam-Sim DC-3. :)

I'm using Nmigel Ricards' sounds developed for Milton's S-2 Tracker series. Great sound set and essentially the same engines.

The tracker used the R-1820 Cyclone nine cylinder engines, while the PBY (And most of the DC-3's) used the R-1830 Twin Wasp fourteen cylinder engines. ;)

HorusJ
August 17th, 2012, 06:00
I'm using Gary Jones's DC-3/C-47 sounds(available at Flightsim).

Duckie
August 17th, 2012, 06:54
...The tracker used the R-1820 Cyclone nine cylinder engines, while the PBY (And most of the DC-3's) used the R-1830 Twin Wasp fourteen cylinder engines. ;)

OOPS! My bad! :redf:

ian elliot
August 17th, 2012, 22:44
Nigels Tracker sound is the one that works for me, may not be the right engine but it sure sound good, thanks for the idea Duckie :icon29:
cheers ian

Jagdflieger
August 17th, 2012, 23:19
Took the Catalina up for a shakedown cruise to the San Juan Islands in Puget Sound and then on to Sydney BC. Great plane, even if the copilot's gauges are inop. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some WWII skins other than the included "Blackcat" skin included with both versions.

Thanks Virtavia once again.

Duckie
August 18th, 2012, 06:22
Nigels Tracker sound is the one that works for me, may not be the right engine but it sure sound good, thanks for the idea Duckie :icon29:
cheers ian

Yep!

But I am now better informed re the engine spec between the two. Thanks F vO.:salute:

Cheers

WarHorse47
November 11th, 2012, 15:23
why is it i ALWAYS get sidetracked?! *sighs* oh well, it's a break from the norm i 'spose :icon_lol:.... ignore the KLU (Koninklijke Luchtmacht)roundel on upper wing it's there on the paintkit and i haven't started the wings.... tailplane.... then markings.... sheesh a lot of work repainters have to do when you think about it....Thought I would bump :bump::bump::bump:this up for Matt. Wouldn't want him to be idle. :mixedsmi:

--WH

Matt Wynn
November 12th, 2012, 00:03
Thought I would bump :bump::bump::bump:this up for Matt. Wouldn't want him to be idle. :mixedsmi:

--WH

you evil sod WH :icon_lol: and here i was thinking i could hide in my paintshed, read my newspapers, drink my coffee, and generally do nothing.... time to yank the tarps off the Cat...

EDIT.... gotta start from fresh, the Cat was on my desktop :( i'm now using a laptop for everything... i hate technology at times :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
November 12th, 2012, 00:56
work restarted... as has been said by many "He may be down, but never count him out" :icon_lol:

WarHorse47
November 12th, 2012, 05:08
you evil sod WH :icon_lol:C'est moi. :wavey: But it's not all my fault, you know.

I'm an avid reader with an extensive library on military aviation. Yesterday, I finished the book "Lost in Tibet" by Starks and Murcutt and started reading the "The Sea Witch" by Stephen Coonts. Naturally I had to watch my Classic Cockpits DVD on "Flying the PBY Catalina" which features the RNZAF PBY-5A.

If anyone can come up with an AlphaSim repaint of this beautiful amphib, I know you can Matt. Thanks for getting back on this.
--WH

Matt Wynn
November 12th, 2012, 05:45
what a productive morning! sent a photo to the editor of the local paper... sent an invoice for Graphics work, and the Cat is progressing! for those that may want to see my photo here you go... i've called it 'The Fallen' and you'll see why. i actually gave it my all yesterday despite my leg being dodgy, walked up to the memorial with several forces friends called the attention, dipped our heads in respect and only then i got the camera out :)

i'm a man of many talents it seems :icon_lol: or so i have been told....

Matt Wynn
November 12th, 2012, 08:28
ahh.... we like progress don't we? new shading layers on, as is a temporary 'XX-T' identifier :kilroy:

WarHorse47
November 12th, 2012, 10:26
ahh.... we like progress don't we? new shading layers on, as is a temporary 'XX-T' identifier :kilroy:

:applause::applause::applause:
--WH

Matt Wynn
November 13th, 2012, 07:36
ok definitely broke the back of this one, it's all simple stuff from here on in now i have the base scheme done, just a case of Mirroring the scheme and applying the decals....

Blackbird686
November 13th, 2012, 08:01
Looking good, Matt! I didn't know the Greek Navy flew the ol' Cat...:jump:

Matt Wynn
November 13th, 2012, 08:15
Looking good, Matt! I didn't know the Greek Navy flew the ol' Cat...:jump:

Pacific roundels BB, actually gotta remove them, but i've added them as a reference point to the paintkit... also lots of colour tweaking to do yet... despite having used the colours labelled in a description of the scheme...

http://www.brians-place.com/aviation/Wanaka2006/images2/IMG_1260-325.jpg

Jagdflieger
November 13th, 2012, 08:54
Nice!

Looks like your eye is back to normal and catching those nuances of color.

Matt Wynn
November 13th, 2012, 09:10
Nice!

Looks like your eye is back to normal and catching those nuances of color.

yeah, it's great to be back to my good old vision... just wish it wasn't Winter now... means my knee gets dicey (Metal plate across a third of the kneecap) and that in turn means no freefall for me (I refuse to, as i call it 'Arse-Skid' like a rookie who can't plant a landing!)... but while that's the case i have my eyesight and can start to get back full flow while it's Winter...

Blackbird686
November 13th, 2012, 09:12
Pacific roundels BB, actually gotta remove them, but i've added them as a reference point to the paintkit... also lots of colour tweaking to do yet... despite having used the colours labelled in a description of the scheme...

http://www.brians-place.com/aviation/Wanaka2006/images2/IMG_1260-325.jpg

Ahhh... Beware of New Zealanders flying Catalinas, mate. They have a tendancy to "fish" the ponds dry!! LOL:icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
November 13th, 2012, 10:07
much better colour match now! just tailplanes and lower flying surfaces to go before the markings....

WarHorse47
November 13th, 2012, 15:45
Looking good, Matt. Thanks for the updates. Fascinating to watch your progress.
--WH

RobH
November 13th, 2012, 19:07
Really nice work Matt.:salute:

Matt Wynn
November 14th, 2012, 03:38
final teaser as i'm that close to completion & release :salute:

oh.... and no i'm not turning the lights on, not until it's finished :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
November 14th, 2012, 05:08
ok just writing up the .cfg now... :salute:

EDIT; have noticed an issue... the struts, blister frame(which are about 1 pixel in upper left corner), bumpers on the nose all share a texture sheet, now what's happened is the struts... one is grey one is underside white... i wish peoples would refrain from shared textures at times... i cannot see a way to fix it so it's either have them all white (except blister) which'd make the bumpers white and several other parts or make do... sim shots to follow shortly.

Matt Wynn
November 14th, 2012, 06:21
ok a few images.... now if you'll excuse me guys i have to talk to this guy in a suit with a clipboard, he looks official... i think he wants my autograph....

... then I box the cat up and ship her back out to Kiwi-land :salute:

WarHorse47
November 14th, 2012, 06:24
Great looking paint. Thanks again, Matt.
--WH

Matt Wynn
November 14th, 2012, 06:30
Great looking paint. Thanks again, Matt.
--WH

no worries have just uploaded 'as is' now you have the wait :icon_lol:

WarHorse47
November 17th, 2012, 06:51
While we're on the subject of the Alphasim PBY freeware, I was wondering if anyone knows of any tweaks? Specifically, does anyone know of a replacement for the prop blur?

Thanks
--WH

stuartcox
November 17th, 2012, 07:56
While we're on the subject of the Alphasim PBY freeware, I was wondering if anyone knows of any tweaks? Specifically, does anyone know of a replacement for the prop blur?

Hi WH,

The prop textures are really unique on the PBY!
I've been playing with the idea of a replacement myself, but the only improvement was to darken, blur and contrast the alpha a little.
It gives the prop a bit more transparency and takes away the 'sharpness'.

Stuart