PDA

View Full Version : Considering reinstall of FSX; need opinions please?

Navy Chief
August 9th, 2012, 05:50
Well, it's been quite some time (about 2 yrs) since I did a fresh install of FSX. Been thinking of reinstalling again, mainly due to the recent release of the fantastic SDB Big "E" scenery:)

I have SO much scenery/aircraft/add ons, etc..., that my FSX has become so bloated and slow to load.

Would appreciate advice on where to begin, prior to uninstall, and then reinstall. Seems like I recall a thread, or sticky, about how to do all this?

My idea is to do the basic install, update, install Accelleration, and most likely just the SBD add on scenery to start with. I do carrier ops most of the time anyway.

Thanks in advance!

NC

papab
August 9th, 2012, 05:54
Take a look at this link: http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.html

Rick

Daube
August 9th, 2012, 06:18
And most important of all: after you have uninstalled it, take your time to TRIPLE-CHECK your hidden files/folders (for examples, the ones where the FSX.cfg) as well as your registry to ensure that any trace of your previous FSX installation has been removed.
Only then you can think about reinstalling.

fxsttcb
August 9th, 2012, 06:43
Start with a selective Back-Up of the *.cfgs etc you want to keep.

Win 7/Vista FSX file locations:
fsx.cfg and GrantedRewards.BIN, {C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX}
Your control settings = Standard.xml {C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls}
Logbook.BIN and flight plan files {C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files}
scenery.cfg {C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX}

To do a reinstall and have all of your "Un-Registered" add-ons etc, available, make a copy of the entire FSX folder.
You can grab individual folders/files that way. Most payware will have to be re-installed.

Use this guide for your removal: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx
and Rick's above link to re-install.

I made a copy of my Virgin FSX Deluxe and Virgin FSX Acceleration "FSX" folders when they were installed.
I also made copies of the above virgin *.cfgs etc.
I can return my sim to "day one" that way, along with later replacing corrupted files without doing a repair. Good Luck...Don

Navy Chief
August 9th, 2012, 06:51
Start with a selective Back-Up of the *.cfgs etc you want to keep.

Win 7/Vista FSX file locations:
fsx.cfg and GrantedRewards.BIN, {C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX}
Your control settings = Standard.xml {C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls}
Logbook.BIN and flight plan files {C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files}
scenery.cfg {C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX}

To do a reinstall and have all of your "Un-Registered" add-ons etc, available, make a copy of the entire FSX folder.
You can grab individual folders/files that way. Most payware will have to be re-installed.

Use this guide for your removal: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx
and Rick's above link to re-install.

I made a copy of my Virgin FSX Deluxe and Virgin FSX Acceleration "FSX" folders when they were installed.
I also made copies of the above virgin *.cfgs etc.
I can return my sim to "day one" that way, along with later replacing corrupted files without doing a repair. Good Luck...Don

Great....thanks!!!

NC

robertorizzo
August 9th, 2012, 06:59
Hi guys.
Yesterday my system passed out, so, after installing Win7 I'm in NavyChief's same situation.
My thoughts were to follow this list:
1)fsx
2)accel
3)ezca
4)trackir
5)fsuipc
6)meshes
7)groundenv.
8)utx
9)shade
10)rex
11)activesky
12)accufeel
13)traffic
14)gsx

then aircrafts and sceneries.
So, talking about VIRGIN(s) copies, my question is: how much "virgin"? There's virgin&virgin; before or after the mesh+groundenv+utx?

stovall
August 9th, 2012, 06:59
Navy Chief, glad you asked this question. Last Sunday my Windows 7 went tits up and my new solid state 256 GIG hard drive arrives today. Great stuff in the above posts. Love the idea of making copies of the entire virgin FSX and Acceleration installs. I had done just individual cfg files etc. backups but the entire install is better.

I have always kept my FSX installs on a separate HD but when Windows goes under you must do a full install anyway. Thanks guys for the guidance. Having done the fresh install a number of times you can always learn something new.

PHo17
August 9th, 2012, 07:17
After the first clean install it is worth taking a full copy of the FSX/FS2004/any... (on external HDD for example). It is much easier to restore a missing gauge or anything from there than from the original DVDs. Has saved from me a lot of time.

fxsttcb
August 9th, 2012, 09:55
So, talking about VIRGIN(s) copies, my question is: how much "virgin"? There's virgin&virgin; before or after the mesh+groundenv+utx? Mine is Virgin, as in never been touched. You decide what level of back-up and at what stage of the install makes you comfortable.
I did make back-ups after each stage of my install, until all was complete and verified. Takes a lot of space temporarily.

Once a month I also make a dated copy of the FSX folder and my *.cfgs. It was a Godsend a couple weeks ago after a Trojan got through. Java Exploit. GRRRRR... That was the second time it has happened. Needless to say, Java is no longer welcome on my rig.
Unfortunately my AI Carriers won't work without it. Small penalty.

My rig is still not right, but, a re-install of Windows then FSXA and copy/paste a recent clean FSXA back-up is quicker than doing it one thing at a time. A hundred GB, or so, of payware will need re-installing though...Don

FAC257
August 9th, 2012, 13:44
I'll add +1 to the PMDG un-install directions.

One easy step for the un-install part that I do is to go to Windows Un-install Programs and sort the list by "Installed On".

With the list of programs sorted that way, I un-install everything to do with FSX in the exact reverse order that everything was installed in. My goofy theory is by doing this, anything that makes back-ups of stuff it changes during installation, will hopefully revert those changes so that the program installed before it, will un-install properly as well.

FAC

P38man
August 9th, 2012, 16:31
About being slow to load - I believe one factor is gauges in certain freeware planes in some rare cases need the CAB files unpacking. There was one I think it was the Seabird Seeker for example on OZX where it was the only change to my install (if memory serves me correctly, eats capsicum) and drastically changed the load-up speed. So Perhaps put freeware on one at a time.

After you have completely uninstalled why not try looking at my install guide here ?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?59416-My-links-guide-to-setting-up-FSX-11-July-2012

Naismith
August 10th, 2012, 01:54
It's catching, this afternoon I rebooted and Aaaargh no MBR. Tried everything but ended up having to reinstall, fortunately anything worth keeping is backed up on two external WD drives (I'm paranoid). This time I have decided not to run FSX P3D and FS9, I'm going to drop FS9 sadly. :salute:

MudMarine
August 10th, 2012, 01:56
Get P3D and avoid the bug called FSX.