PDA

View Full Version : Before you adjust that eyepoint ...

Paul Anderson
August 5th, 2012, 13:09
... when old tube monitor showed signs of imminent decease, bought wide flat screen. Things back to normal.
Saw tweak tip for wide screen:

[Display]
;WideViewAspect=False
WideViewAspect=True

Shows things farther away for some reason, but like it for vc panel display.
Will still use False for Raditor adjustment to fit aircraft to almost screen boundary, but run with True for actual simm7027070271702727027370274702757027670277ing.

Don't forget, if you prefer vc over 2d like I do, in camera config swap 1 and 2 to make vc the default and skip 2d in cycling views unless you call for it with command key:
[CameraDefinition.001]
Title = Virtual Cockpit
Guid = {C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}
Description = This is the description of the virtual cockpit view.
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
;tweak from C310R critical_readme.txt to add clipmode
ClipMode=Minimum
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.7
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=30
HeadingPanRate=75
PanAcceleratorTime=0
HotKeySelect=1
[CameraDefinition.002]
Title = Cockpit
Guid = {B1386D92-4782-4682-A137-738E25D1BAB5}
Description = This is the description of the cockpit view
Origin = Cockpit
ShowPanel = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal
SnapPbhReturn = True
PanPbhAdjust = Ordinal
PanPbhReturn = True
Track = None
ShowAxis = FrontOnly
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 1.0
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
HotKeySelect=2
;tweak
CycleHidden=Yes

Daveroo
August 5th, 2012, 14:49
where is the display thing at?..FSX.CFG?..or in the computer settings?

Paul Anderson
August 5th, 2012, 14:59
[Display] is in fsx.cfg.
The camera setting should be in same folder in cameras.cfg.
Hope this helps.

Lionheart
August 5th, 2012, 16:29
Nice find Paul! I like wide view as well. Its more realistic, I think.

Sascha66
August 5th, 2012, 16:43
This also works with FS9, the difference is subtle but telling! I like it! :salute:

TeaSea
August 7th, 2012, 15:58
Paul,

This has changed my life...... :jump:

MenendezDiego
August 7th, 2012, 19:12
Could you not just move the eye point back once in the aircraft?

Not sure I understand what's going on

Bone
August 7th, 2012, 19:33
Could you not just move the eye point back once in the aircraft?

Not sure I understand what's going on

I'm going to say they're not using TrackIR, since with TrackIR you can just lean forward to zoom in, or lean back to zoom out.

MenendezDiego
August 7th, 2012, 19:39
I'm going to say they're not using TrackIR, since with TrackIR you can just lean forward to zoom in, or lean back to zoom out.

Absolutely agree,

If we're simply moving the camera position forwards and back, wouldn't Control+Enter/Backspace do the trick?

I imagine that's more simple than changing the CFG

Paul Domingue
August 7th, 2012, 22:31
Thanks for the tip. I have always disliked the view on my monitor and have had to zoom out from default to 50%. With this setting the view is corrected for wide screen monitors. This does not change the eyepoint or zoom but only the aspect ratio. I use TrackIR as well and it does make a big difference changing this setting.

Good find.

MenendezDiego
August 7th, 2012, 22:55
I'll have to give this a try.

Many thanks, Diego

Spikehughes
August 7th, 2012, 23:10
Sorry, bit behind the cue ball on this one?
Wideviewaspect=true has been around for quite some time so I don't understand the excitment?
Anyone explain

Spike

MarkH
August 7th, 2012, 23:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbCFNSofpk

MenendezDiego
August 7th, 2012, 23:57
Trying it out now!

Edit: Well I'll be damned!

This changes everything! I finally feel 'there', especially in the pattern.

Many thanks!

P38man
August 8th, 2012, 00:50
Mark, as usual your videos rock!

As an addition I would like to add that a problem can occur for those who have these 3
1) a 3 screen setup with matroxth2go and
2) a "HD" resolution eg widths of 4320 or 5840 and
3) who attempt to use wideviewaspect = true

The problem is - the flashing cursor from hell which will drag performance to nothing and occurs with many 2D panel pop-ups.

Ok so the solution is to make wideviewaspect=false however now you cannot zoom back enough at all.

The solution is to then use a tool running externally to FSX to fix this. (On my system I have the sliders to the tool, link below, set at 0.267 each permanently and then use a hat switch on my saitek x52 to adjust zoom). I have been using it for about a year and love it.

See points 9 to 10 of my guide here for full details and more on 2d panels:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?59416-My-links-guide-to-setting-up-FSX-11-July-2012

(silly me put widescreenaspect - will fix this and update the tool's new link to: http://www.tocaedit.com/dl/fsxfov3.zip)

Spikehughes
August 8th, 2012, 00:57
Thanks for the video explanation - curently at work so I
WIll check it out when I get home tomorrow

Spike

greenie
August 8th, 2012, 04:35
Each to there own . Not for me . I don't get on with the distortions particularly with the buildings at the airport .

greenie
August 8th, 2012, 04:44
...this sort of thing ..

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/1242012_7_27_7_12_8_214.jpg

Mathias
August 8th, 2012, 04:49
Hey greenie, that's not directly related to the wideview aspect.
Hit the + - keys to zoom in/out or use Shift + or Shift - to change field of view to get rid of the fisheye lense.

greenie
August 8th, 2012, 06:28
Thanks Mathias, I should of gone to bed an hour ago , I'll check this out tommorrow . Good night :sleep:

Paul Domingue
August 8th, 2012, 09:30
Sorry, bit behind the cue ball on this one?
Wideviewaspect=true has been around for quite some time so I don't understand the excitment?
Anyone explain

Spike

I have been flying FS for years and I still learn something new almost everyday. So for people like me who were not aware of Wideviewaspect this is exciting.

Kudos to MarkH for that excelent vidio tutorial.

Bone
August 8th, 2012, 12:31
@ MarkH, once again you have set the bar on video tutorials.

I tried the change, and it is quite usefull to have a wider viewing angle.

scott967b
August 8th, 2012, 15:08
+1 for me too on that tutorial vid. Well done and explains it so I think anyone can figure out how it works.

scott s.

MarkH
December 8th, 2012, 10:07
I thought I'd tag this on here rather than make a new thread. Part 2 addresses the relationship between zoom factor and viewing distance, which was fudged a bit in Part 1.

http://youtu.be/ikwToOzX_UA

PRB
December 8th, 2012, 10:19
Interesting. Good stuff, Mark!

- Paul

Naismith
December 8th, 2012, 12:43
I thought I'd tag this on here rather than make a new thread. Part 2 addresses the relationship between zoom factor and viewing distance, which was fudged a bit in Part 1.

http://youtu.be/ikwToOzX_UA

Excellant video Mark. Trigonometry too! But why is the instrument monitor upside down. :mixedsmi:

MarkH
December 8th, 2012, 12:50
But why is the instrument monitor upside down. :mixedsmi:

Heh heh, just a practical matter! The stand mount is in the way if I have it right-way-up ;)

Kiwikat
December 8th, 2012, 12:51
I just tried setting this to TRUE for the first time since getting my new monitor. Can't wait till my flight is done so I can return it to FALSE. The distortion is just awful. Not sure why so many people like this view. :mix-smi:

warchild
December 8th, 2012, 14:08
Your zoomed too far out Kiwi.. its not the wide view.. these are wide view. 1600x900 16x9 aspect.. no distortion ( taken from inside WBS P-51 )

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2012-12-8_14-54-8-52.png

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2012-12-8_14-54-26-888.png

Kiwikat
December 8th, 2012, 14:15
Your zoomed too far out Kiwi.. its not the wide view.. these are wide view. 1600x900 16x9 aspect.. no distortion ( taken from inside WBS P-51 )

I just left it at the default zoom. Seems I have to zoom in to get rid of the distortion. At that point it looks just like the FALSE setting. Hmm.

MenendezDiego
December 8th, 2012, 14:19

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2012-12-8_14-54-8-52.png

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2012-12-8_14-54-26-888.png

That second image clearly shows distortion. Look how the gun-sight got wider.

warchild
December 8th, 2012, 14:44
Ummmm.. The second image doesn't show the gun sight??? If your reffering to the dial above the left panel, then yes, there is parallax.. But its miniscule..

MenendezDiego
December 8th, 2012, 19:22
The second image most certainly shows the gun-sight (outlined in red)

http://i.imgur.com/pS5gp.jpg

Regards, Diego

warchild
December 8th, 2012, 22:45
My apologies.I stand corrected.. It doesnt show up on my screen ::shrug:: dont know why..

MarkH
December 8th, 2012, 23:54
I just left it at the default zoom. Seems I have to zoom in to get rid of the distortion. At that point it looks just like the FALSE setting. Hmm.

Congratulations, you now understand what WVA does to the view (nothing)!

modelr
December 9th, 2012, 07:23
That second image clearly shows distortion. Look how the gun-sight got wider.

But you aren't looking at the gunsight when flying here, you're looking at the edge of the runway. The distortion only shows up in the still screenshot. Your minds eye never sees the distortion. This "tweak" is for use when flying! Myself, it makes a huge difference. Much more realistic.

dougal
December 9th, 2012, 09:53
It errr..... doesn't take much to confuse me, and i admit to being more than just a little confused right now:isadizzy:

So, I'm just using a tatty old 19" 4:3 monitor. Should I STILL be setting my cfg to to True?

ta!

warchild
December 9th, 2012, 10:01
It errr..... doesn't take much to confuse me, and i admit to being more than just a little confused right now:isadizzy:

So, I'm just using a tatty old 19" 4:3 monitor. Should I STILL be setting my cfg to to True?

ta!

Dougal..
No.. you should set it to False. The only benefit that entry has is for people using wide screen 16:9 monitors.. even HDTV scaled monitors ( 720p, 1080p ) dont gain much from that setting as its yet another format size that isnt wide screen..

n4gix
December 9th, 2012, 15:27
Dougal..
No.. you should set it to False. The only benefit that entry has is for people using wide screen 16:9 monitors.. even HDTV scaled monitors ( 720p, 1080p ) dont gain much from that setting as its yet another format size that isnt wide screen..
The latter depends on what connection you can make to your HDTV (both formats). If you can use HDMI, you can configure the HDTV's image just the same as any 16:9 wide-screen monitor.

Depending on your HDTV, you may also be able to use 16:9 even with a VGA connection, if your HDTV and video driver supports it.

MarkH
December 10th, 2012, 09:34

NO - if you are happy with your view don't change a thing.

If you do change WVA to True you will need to find (or calculate) a new zoom factor to get the picture you like and it will be exactly the same as it was before. Pretty pointless, I'm sure you will agree.

You only need to use the WVA flag if you want to zoom out further than 0.3x to get the view you want. This is true if whether your monitor is 4:3, 16:9 or anything else. You are unlikely to be in this position unless you use a super-wide screen (4:1 or 5:1 are common these days) or you like the look of very wide-angle photos. Some people like super wide-angle for screenshots because it can be very photogenic.

JoeW
December 13th, 2012, 14:57
I have a/some stupid question ..... I have a Samsung 22" LED and I have the view set for 1920x1080. I did apply the wideview switch but I need to pump in about 3 traps on the plus key to get the distortion out. I have looked for the aspectratio setting and can't find it. I tried to re-set the camera view zoom in the aircraft.cfg and no matter which way I go it zooms out. That setting is now set to the default 1.0.
Question is .... Where is the aspectratio setting? and how can I set the camera view to where I don't have to pump in 3 taps in the locked spot?
This is very interesting but it's a bit over my head.
Joe W

MarkH
December 13th, 2012, 22:22
Question is .... Where is the aspectratio setting? and how can I set the camera view to where I don't have to pump in 3 taps in the locked spot?

There is no aspect ratio setting. Default zoom is set in camera.cfg, at least for the virtual cockpit. I assume it's the same place for the spot cameras too but you will have to check.

JoeW
December 14th, 2012, 04:57
I looked in the camera.cfg and the spot and locked spot are in the aircraft.cfg not the camera.cfg. At any rate is there a way to set it so I don't have to pump in 3 clicks of "+" every view?

MarkH
December 14th, 2012, 10:58
I looked in the camera.cfg and the spot and locked spot are in the aircraft.cfg not the camera.cfg. At any rate is there a way to set it so I don't have to pump in 3 clicks of "+" every view?

If you changed it in aircraft.cfg and that didn't affect the default, I expect you are changing it in the wrong place. I can't help you without going and experimenting myself, but perhaps someone who knows will chip in.

(P.S. A bit of googling suggests loading a default a/c, setting the zooms you want and saving the flight as default. The suggestion is that all new flights inherit these defaults.)